• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man finds a Magic: The Gathering card worth $30,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedge7

Man that was a sweet video. Love seeing the "realtime" reactions. Grats on him if he ends up selling it for that much, what a great payday. Also, was I the only one who was more than a little distracted by his loud breathing/wheezing? Not making fun, but it genuinely sounded like the guy was getting winded just opening the box, though it may have just been nerves.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
What I'm saying is I've never read an article in mainstream news about Magic cards being sold for 30,000. And since you brought up "facts", lets recognize there are no details given in the kotaku article about the card being sold for 27,000 other than it happened somewhere to someone.

I mean, I would have think be a LMGTFY, but seriously, all it took was "Black Lotus Ebay."

That's why if you are willing to open up old Magic product, you should go for the really old stuff (10+ years) if you get just loose boosters, because they don't have the mapping for them yet (Magic boxes follow a pattern. Never buy new, unsealed boxes because someone just went through 1 or 2 boosters, took out all the money cards, and it trying to sell jank.) I bought a Darksteel booster pack at a Grand Prix a couple months ago for 10 bucks. I figured there is no way something good would be inside, but when I finally opened it, there was a 20 dollar rare inside.

Amon37

This thread makes me want to find my magic cards in my parents attic. I only played the first few years it was out. Granted none of my cards are mint condition but maybe I could get something for them that would be more useful to me in my current life state.

Is it true nearly anything comic/cards (possibly toys too) wise in 00's and present will not hold the same value as before since they are mass produced so much and in so many ppl's hands (plus in good condition) that their value will be insignificant.

mjontrix

4tz9LZn.png

aku:jiki

Because then you don't know how much the card was handled before being resealed. If this is fresh from a starter, this is the first time it's touched air since 93 with no fingerprint residue due to the gloves. Otherwise, it's still a beautiful piece, but can't be rated 10.
He bends it a little when he sees what it is and gets excited. It can't get a 10 regardless, since that bend is on youtube for all to see.

Which reminds me .... is the legend of the dude who cut his black lotus in pieces to win a tournment real or just some urban legend ?
Iron Man tournaments, where you have to tear up cards that get "destroyed", have certainly existed and someone has probably torn up something valuable in one. A Black Lotus wasn't $27k the last time it was used in a tourney like that, though. More like $50 maybe.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
This thread makes me want to find my magic cards in my parents attic. I only played the first few years it was out. Granted none of my cards are mint condition but maybe I could get something for them that would be more useful to me in my current life state.

You'd be surprised at the value of stuff. You probably have a few hundred dollars at least assuming you played for real.

bjork

Is it true nearly anything comic/cards (possibly toys too) wise in 00's and present will not hold the same value as before since they are mass produced so much and in so many ppl's hands (plus in good condition) that their value will be insignificant.

It depends on what it is and what the demand is, but on the whole, likely not. The last time I took a spin through a card price guide, I was surprised.

For most "collectables", yes. Magic in particular, though, is extremely good (some might say evil) at playing the second-hand market and they're very careful not to flood the market with product. They understand that the trading/selling market is part of what keep people addicted, so they just come up with new cards that get valuable instead of reprinting legendary ones, and they're smart enough to make the new variants just a smidge worse than the legendary one they're basing it on so they don't ruin the price of the old one.

You'd be surprised at the value of stuff. You probably have a fee hundred dollars at least assuming you played for real.
At the very least, he probably has a dual land or two lying around. I'd say he's pretty much guaranteed to have at least $100 in that attic.

Orayn

I guess I expected ultra rare and OP.

It is ultra rare and OP, it's a card that gives you three turns worth of resources for nothing. It's not legal to play in most common tournament formats, but it's still a huge collector's item because of its history.

Platy

Iron Man tournaments, where you have to tear up cards that get "destroyed", have certainly existed and someone has probably torn up something valuable in one. A Black Lotus wasn't $27k the last time it was used in a tourney like that, though. More like $50 maybe.

A friend helped me to remeber ... I was thinking about the legend of a dude who got a card that was like "trow the card, wherever it lands the enemy card is destroyed" and than he tear up the card and trew on the oponent side and got like everything destroyd =P

No relation to the black lotus

ldcommando

Banned
I´ve never played MTG but I remember a frined of mine that did explaining to me why this card was so valuable and it was something about ending a game in 2 turns or something. Is this right? Can you still use this or did they banned it?

Use Black Lotus to cast Show and Tell on turn one, use Show and Tell to cast Emrakul and swing for 15 damage. Play another turn (due to Emrakul) and swing for another 15. You win before the opponent has even played one turn.

edit: Just saw this, thanks.

ultron87

A friend helped me to remeber ... I was thinking about the legend of a dude who got a card that was like "trow the card, wherever it lands the enemy card is destroyed" and than he tear up the card and trew on the oponent side and got like everything destroyd =P

No relation to the black lotus

They actually made fun of that on a card in one of the joke sets they made.

Image.ashx

Though certainly not nearly as popular as MTG, I found two cases of my Star Wars CCG at my mom's house. I have cards up to the Hoth expansion, but I don't want to throw them out for sentimental reasons. Now they just sit in my closet.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I still can't comprehend how magic is exponentially more expensive than most other TCGs.

It is the first tcg.. The genesis.. Played by millions all over the world. It is still insanely popular. It has never had a dip in popularity in 20 years.

joelseph

I wonder how long these sit on the market before some crazy person does come along though.

There is an active scene for legacy Magic tournaments that "require" these types of cards. Depending on the event and on the level of play you may or may not be allowed to proxy, or print fake cards to play with, for these more expensive cards. If you want to be the best and play at the absolute highest levels you have to have these cards. Thankfully there are other formats that aren't as expensive to get into. =)

bigkrev

It is the first tcg.. The genesis.. Played by millions all over the world. It is still insanely popular. It has never had a dip in popularity in 20 years.

It has had dips in the past... Pokémon in it's "fad" phase was outselling Magic (does not help that in that time period, Magic was trying to kill itself with Combo Winter and the Masques block power level drop), 2006-2007 was a bad period for the game (before it started jumping to gigantic highs with 2009's Zendikar), and last years Theros was the first time in a few years that a new large set did not beat the sales of the previous set.

That said, it's stayed popular because it's in good hands design/development wise (unlike every other CCG, they very rarely need to ban cards, and there isn't a massive power creep), and they have always had strong Organized Play support.

It's not the first. I was playing Spellfire a couple of years before Magic came around, and I'm not even sure that was the first one.

Spellfire came out in 1994, a year after Magic launched. It was the first CCG and has the patents to back it up

It's not the first. I was playing Spellfire a couple of years before Magic came around, and I'm not even sure that was the first one.
"[Spellfire] appeared in 1994, shortly after the introduction of Magic: The Gathering, in the wake of the success enjoyed by trading card games."

MTG was the first.

But who will pay 30K for trading cards?

You'd be surprised, especially with a card like this. It essentially breaks the game for anyone who has even one copy of it. Three mana of any color for free is insanely powerful, and just about every attempt over the years to replicate has been a resounding failure.

Sure, it's only limited to certain vintage formats, but it's still one of the most insanely powerful Magic cards ever printed.

ruxtpin

Banned
Though certainly not nearly as popular as MTG, I found two cases of my Star Wars CCG at my mom's house. I have cards up to the Hoth expansion, but I don't want to throw them out for sentimental reasons. Now they just sit in my closet.

man... I loved this game. I had a few Magic decks, but the original SW:CCG was my thing. I bought/played up until the Special Edition expansion I believe (I can't remember if that came before or after the Tatooine and Endor sets tho).

joelseph

Richard wanted Robo Rally, Wizards wanted something easy to print that would makes lots of money. The first CCG was born!

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
It has had dips in the past... Pokémon in it's "fad" phase was outselling Magic (does not help that in that time period, Magic was trying to kill itself with Combo Winter and the Masques block power level drop), 2006-2007 was a bad period for the game (before it started jumping to gigantic highs with 2009's Zendikar), and last years Theros was the first time in a few years that a new large set did not beat the sales of the previous set.

Except it...was the best selling of all time

I always start by asking the same question: How was the last year for Magic design? My answer for the last year is good but not great. Theros is currently the best-selling Magic set of all time. I've received a lot of positive comments about the Theros block.

I'm an expert

And pokemons popularity was purely brand. The game was terrible. Yugioh was a much better game and had way more staying power.

Truly amazing.

For those that aren't aware, this is like opening a 1st edition Charizard from the Base set of the Pokémon Trading Card Game... except multiply the value by an order of magnitude. And never touch the Charizard with anything but gloves and sleeve protectors.
1st edition shadowless Charizard goes for around 200-500 bucks at NM to M.

Orayn

And pokemons popularity was purely brand. The game was terrible. Yugioh was a much better game and had way more staying power.

I wouldn't say the game was *terrible* as its basic design was pretty solid, but it certainly wasn't as well balanced or complex as Magic.

But... potentially fake? http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co..._friend_from_the_one_boosters_youtube/cl90ges

Given the way the rare sheets worked back in the day, shouldn't the rare after Tropical Island have to have been Bayou or Warp Artifact? Tropical Island isn't in a part of the rare sheet where the next rare would jump around to Black Lotus, either, since it's a seven rare jump.

Basically, this starter would either have to have been resealed, or there'd be something impossible going on.

Edit: Actually, looking at the back of the Tropical Island and Black Lotus, this was definitely a reseal. So yeah, the video's unfortunately a fake. Shame.

Saroyan

Wow, and I thought it was neat when I was going through my old MTG collection and seeing how much all my dual lands cards are worth. This is pretty crazy.

Veelk

Banned
The rarest card of any game I have is a Mystic Swordsman lv6 from Yu-gi-oh.

Even though it's somewhat rare, it's only worth $10 but maybe in 50 years....who knows.

There isn't as much science involved in these very early packs as that guy likes to believe. This was the alpha printing of about 1000 copies and probably 90% of them were opened 25 years ago, long before anyone ever thought to catalog and map the contents of every pack they open. We know what sheet method they used and what the usual order of a pack was, but we can't claim to know so much about this print run as to call things "literally impossible". For all we know, Richard Garfield was sitting around with silk gloves and packing alpha starters by hand to meet the shipping deadline.

With that said, it is probably unlikely, just not "literally impossible".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom