• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man punches woman into a coma over parking space

Status
Not open for further replies.
XRISx.jpg

seat

They seem pretty confident in this supposed video "evidence" they keep talking about. I wonder what it actually shows.

There really isn't enough to go on from this amazing article. But some comments...

For one, to put the burden on someone for self defense to "temper" their punches is a horrifying precedent. To expect an average person to be able to completely analyze then react to a given threat using the "proper" amount of force is a tall order no matter the gender or perceived physical appearance of the person. Except when dealing with weapons, I guess. Then, things could get hairy.

Now, in this case and assuming self-defense is true, if it is found that he punched her multiple times and well after the threat was over, he should be facing some serious consequences.

If, however, it is found that it was a single punch and she got unlucky and landed on her head wrong, then well, tough luck for her. I don't think the guy should be facing any serious consequences, if any at all.

For everyone saying this is a tiny and helpless woman and the guy should not have acted even if he felt threatened, where are the comments that this woman should have been smart enough to not come at him knowing the size difference? If she was the aggressor, she must accept blame for her plight too.

Finally, I don't get the comments about "it's just like pulling a knife or other weapon!" No, it isn't. He didn't do that. That is irrelevant and has no merit for this situation.

Honestly it doesn't really matter how anyone feels about it morally. If there is video of her attacking him and he has a good lawyer that can prove self-defense he will get off regardless of how outraged anyone feels about it. In the American court system it's not about right or wrong it's about
Bi-
winning and losing.

Salazar

GoldenEye 007 said:
For everyone saying this is a tiny and helpless woman and the guy should not have acted even if he felt threatened

Proportionate action is fine by me.

We need that video.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
He is an idiot for making those press statements.Pretty much torpedoed his defense. Might as well cop a plea and hope for parole after half a decade.

MWS Natural said:
If he has a good lawyer that can prove self defense more power to him. It's not like there is a punching power meter you can set to "Stun", "Bruise" or "Coma". If she attacked him and he felt his life was threatened he has the right to defend himself.
You can't claim self defense unless you feel you are in eminent danger of serious bodily harm, and I doubt that an unarmed 100 lb woman was a threat to him.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
GoldenEye 007 said:
For one, to put the burden on someone for self defense to "temper" their punches is a horrifying precedent. To expect an average person to be able to completely analyze then react to a given threat is a tall order no matter the gender or perceived physical appearance of the person.
No it's not. It doesn't take much to tell whether or not you've been attacked seriously.

"I've been punched! Berserker rage NOW! Sort it out when one of us falls!" Is not an appropriate response.
If, however, it is found that it was a single punch and she got lucky and landed on her head wrong, then well, tough luck for her. I don't think the guy should be facing any serious consequences, if any at all.
Iffy since the response was still disproportionate.
For everyone saying this is a tiny and helpless woman and the guy should not have acted even if he felt threatened, where are the comments that this woman should have been smart enough to not come at him knowing the size difference? If she was the aggressor, she must accept blame for her plight too.
Even if she's not actually capable of doing any damage?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
SapientWolf said:
You can't claim self defense unless you feel you are in eminent danger of serious bodily harm, and I doubt that an unarmed 100 lb woman was a threat to him.
100lb women can kick you in the balls as well as any other.

if she initiated the escalation to physical violence, then the injuries she sustains are her own bloody fault. its not like he jumped on her after she was down.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pandaman said:
100lb women can kick you in the balls as well as any other.

if she initiated the escalation to physical violence, then the injuries she sustains are her own bloody fault. its not like he jumped on her after she was down.
Legally, the definition of self defense is narrow, but the definition of fighting is broad. And fighting is illegal. Not something you want to gamble against a lengthy prison sentence.

In any case, they basically got a free confession out of him. He's pretty much done.

Zeke

Freshmaker said:
Herp derp. Irrelevant question is irrelevant.
just as dumb as thinking a person can't do physical damage because of their size and my comment was mostly in jest you cock.

When I worked loss prevention at walmart back in 2001 we had someone get stabbed over a parking spot on black Friday

People are fucking insane

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Zeke said:
just as dumb as thinking a person can't do physical damage because of their size
The odds of her knowing how to throw a good punch and being able to inflict life threatening damage from it are kinda low duder. Has little to do with hair pulling.
and my comment was mostly in jest you cock.
So was mine you veiny cyclops.

Takuan

I'll bet the damage was caused by her head hitting the pavement after getting knocked out from one punch. I'll also bet she egged the guy on thinking her vagina protected her fully. One punch in retaliation, KO, he gets back into the car and drives off thinking he's taught the girl a valuable lesson.

Gonna have to wait for the video to be sure. People who immediately jump to the female's defense are noble, but naive to how terrible some girls can be.

Freshmaker said:
No it's not. It doesn't take much to tell whether or not you've been attacked seriously.

"I've been punched! Berserker rage NOW! Sort it out when one of us falls!" Is not an appropriate response.
I personally wouldn't want to wait until I've been attacked. If I can see someone clearly coming at me, I'm not going to wait to get struck before I do anything.

Iffy since the response was still disproportionate.
If it was one punch and she fell, I don't think that's disproportionate. I'm going to estimate enough force to end the threat and keep me safe - with me leaving on the "just to be sure" side of force. But as I said later in my post, if he hit her multiple times after any threat was over, then we have a problem.

Even if she's not actually capable of doing any damage?
How does he know that? How does he know she isn't aware of ways to neutralize larger opponents? What if she kicked him in the nuts? He is now temporarily more vulnerable to her allowing her to do real damage. Hell, the punch/kick to the nuts alone is enough to do serious and life-altering damage. You don't need to be equal size to cause stuff like that. Does he know her mental state? What if she is fucking batshit insane and unstable? How could he possibly know any of that?

Zeke

Freshmaker said:
The odds of her knowing how to throw a good punch and being able to inflict life threatening damage from it are kinda low duder. Has little to do with hair pulling.
then you haven't seen a real girl fight.
Freshmaker said:
So was mine you veiny cyclops.
something something one eyed wonder weasel and his two balls

Shanadeus

Banned
Punching someone as retalitation for a slap doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.
He could have just as easy pushed her away, with less risk, if he truly was fearing his life which to me sounds like he punched her out of rage rather than fear.
I don't know where exactly american law differs but had this happened around here he might possibly even be convicted for manslaughter if it turns out that this coma is permanent.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can't say I feel bad for her if the story of her attacking first turns out to be true.

When a person enacts physical violence on another they open up themselves to it as well. There are a myriad of potentially consequences that arise once this happens, and a coma is simply one of those possible outcomes.

antonz

Shanadeus said:
Punching someone as retalitation for a slap doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.
He could have just as easy pushed her away, with less risk, if he truly was fearing his life.
I don't know where exactly american law differs but had this happened around here he might possibly even be convicted for manslaughter if it turns out that this coma is permanent.

This guy will be in prison a very long time if her condition does not improve. Self Defense in the US is not an open ticket to act however you want. You have to consider the degree of danger you are in and reaction must be appropriate to that level. A Small unarmed woman does not warrant such a reaction.

The Fact asshole thought he was justified to put a woman in coma then just drive off says all I need to know about the guy

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
GoldenEye 007 said:
I personally wouldn't want to wait until I've been attacked. If I can
I wouldn't either, but I wouldn't clobber someone unless it was clearly necessary. In this situation, most likely not.

If it was one punch and she fell, I don't think that's disproportionate. I'm going to estimate enough force to end the threat and keep me safe - with me leaving on the "just to be sure" side of force. But as I said later in my post, if he hit her multiple times after any threat was over, then we have a problem.
Legally, that could still be hard to justify given the players involved.

How does he know that? How does he know she isn't aware of ways to neutralize larger opponents? What if she kicked him in the nuts? He is now temporarily more vulnerable to her allowing her to do real damage. Hell, the punch/kick to the nuts alone is enough to do serious and life-altering damage. You don't need to be equal size to cause stuff like that. Does he know her mental state? What if she is fucking batshit insane and unstable? How could he possibly know any of that?
So... Hit her as hard as you can?

Devolution said:
I'm sorry bro but it takes a lot to punch someone into a coma, unless it was a one punch she hit her head on the pavement deal, he went way too fucking far.

Also I'm biased because I'm the same size, it does not take a lot to take us out.

Like you said, we don't know whether she got the bulk of the trauma from the punch or from the fall and possibly hitting her head on the pavement.

In the unlikely scenario that she punched first, he felt threatened and/or hit back as a reflex and she hit her head on the fall, I don't he deserves jail time.

The person who hits first is the aggressor, never the person who defends themselves. All this is assuming he only threw one punch.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
antonz said:
This guy will be in prison a very long time if her condition does not improve. Self Defense in the US is not an open ticket to act however you want. You have to consider the degree of danger you are in and reaction must be appropriate to that level. A Small unarmed woman does not warrant such a reaction.

The Fact asshole thought he was justified to put a woman in coma then just drive off says all I need to know about the guy
Because the guy was CLEARLY trying to put her in a coma deliberately...

c'mon.

If it's true that she attacked first over a piece of public land for vehicles then she fucked with the wrong person.

She aggravated someone that was already aggravated by attacking the person she denied the PUBLIC parking spot to, if it's true she had it coming.

The coma part is just the unfortunate bit of this situation.

dimb

antonz said:
Somehow I doubt the situation played out with him getting attacked and proceeding to think, "Hey, I totally deserve to put this girl in a coma."

I would also guess fear played a role in him leaving the scene because modern gender roles make it difficult for a man to explain why he just knocked a woman flat.

Too many grey areas and not enough facts.

All we're doing is guessing what happened and trying to fill in whatever blanks the way we want to "justify" this or do the opposite.

Slayer-33 said:

c'mon.

Who knows but his rhetoric afterwards is kind of disgusting. Even if someone hit me first and I put them in a coma, I wouldn't be so arrogant.

antonz

Slayer-33 said:

c'mon.
Its all about the degree of appropriate response which the law demands be determined before self defense is allowed. Brain swelling to the degree part of her skull had to be removed suggest more than a simple act of defense.

Satyamdas

Banned
What if she attacks first, and instead of punching her he just gave a little 'get-the-fuck-off-me' shove, and she tripped and cracked her head open and ended up in the same coma? Is he still this brutal monster who should've taken it even easier on her? Maybe he should've just brushed her punches and scratches aside with his face?

All this bullshit about "you have to absorb any attack from a small woman, and since you can do damage and she is incapable of doing any REAL harm you need to buck up and take it like a man" is so fucking stupid. How about you think real hard about engaging physically with someone who can easily destroy you?

Satyamdas said:
What if she attacks first, and instead of punching her he just gave a little 'get-the-fuck-off-me' shove, and she tripped and cracked her head open and ended up in the same coma? Is he still this brutal monster who should've taken it even easier on her? Maybe he should've just brushed her punches and scratches aside with his face?

All this bullshit about "you have to absorb any attack from a small woman, and since you can do damage and she is incapable of doing any REAL harm you need to buck up and take it like a man" is so fucking stupid. How about you think real hard about engaging physically with someone who can easily destroy you?

He left the scene, if she fell and hit her head, it wouldn't be a simple case of "I didn't know I hurt her that badly."

I'm starting to get real suspicious the closer I read the article and what he has to say.

Takuan

Shanadeus said:
He could have just as easy pushed her away, with less risk, if he truly was fearing his life.
You clearly have never seen people argue over a parking spot, or experienced road rage in general. People kill over these petty squabbles in North America. They are already pissed when they engage, and aren't thinking straight. Of course it wasn't a good idea to punch her in retaliation; societal views on gender equality aren't there yet, and probably never will be. It was probably a worse idea to try and reserve a parking spot by standing in it in NYC, mouthing off to the person who was understandably mad about it, and then to proceed to attack him (if he's indeed telling the truth).

markot said:
But just listen to his quote, about being rigtheous and just. It seems clear to me he went over board and he knows it, but he justifys it by 'she hit me first'. Then he goes into 'rage' and how people can go mental without knowing it.

I mean I know he is a psych but damn.

He didnt say that. You're misreading the article. There's two people mentioned in the article with the same last name, the psychologist and the guy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Satyamdas said:
Ideally, get out of the situation and call the cops to deal with her. She gets her comeuppance and you don't have to deal with attempted manslaughter charges.

dimb

Devolution said:
Also this:

has to be complete bullshit.
I find it unlikely that he was able to discern the difference between a person being knocked out or being in a coma. So technically, that would likely be a truth.

Not that him cowardly fleeing the situation is in any way an appropriate action though.

Dance In My Blood said:
I find it unlikely that he was able to discern the difference between a person being knocked out or being in a coma. So technically, that would likely be a truth.

Not that him cowardly fleeing the situation is in any way an appropriate action though.

Um. Knocking someone unconscious in my reality doesn't mean you think to yourself "I didn't think I hurt them that bad."

jambo

Salazar said:
This burns me up. If there were witnesses, I can't fathom standing there and watching him go.
I know. If she's in a coma, she must've gone in to it pretty much as soon as he hit her or her head hit the ground.

It's not like she would've gotten back up and then fallen in to the coma half an hour later.

He ran off when she was passed the fuck out and bleeding on the ground.

Shanadeus

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Like you said, we don't know whether she got the bulk of the trauma from the punch or from the fall and possibly hitting her head on the pavement.

In the unlikely scenario that she punched first, he felt threatened and/or hit back as a reflex and she hit her head on the fall, I don't he deserves jail time.

The person who hits first is the aggressor, never the person who defends themselves. All this is assuming he only threw one punch.
He should have been aware of the risk of her hitting her head if she fell due to being knocked out from his punch - especially since he wasn't in a life threatening situation in which case he should have ran away rather than throw punches at someone who had merely slapped him.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
antonz said:
Its all about the degree of appropriate response which the law demands be determined before self defense is allowed. Brain swelling to the degree part of her skull had to be removed suggest more than a simple act of defense.
Pavement?

What kind of punch causes brain swelling? A steel pipe would or the edge of a sidewalk I guess?

Slayer-33 said:
Pavement?

What kind of punch causes brain swelling? A steel pipe would or the edge of a sidewalk I guess?

What kind of person knocks someone else out and just runs off? Then actually tries to say to the press later, "i didn't think I hurt her that bad."

This dude reeks of bullshit even if she did throw the first punch.

The Lamp said:
Some of you people are scarier than the headlines in this section.

Seriously, get a hold of yourselves.
Honestly this kind of knee-jerk reaction is just sad

it shows up in all of these fucking threads

Shanadeus said:
He should have been aware of the risk of her hitting her head if she fell due to being knocked out from his punch - especially since he wasn't in a life threatening situation in which case he should have ran away rather than throw punches at someone who had merely slapped him.
It doesn't say that she slapped him.

Devolution said:
What kind of person knocks someone else out and just runs off? Then actually tries to say to the press later, "i didn't think I hurt her that bad."

This dude reeks of bullshit even if she did throw the first punch.
Yeah, that is the major issue for me. I have no respect for people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom