• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man punches woman into a coma over parking space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Slayer-33 said:
Pavement?

What kind of punch causes brain swelling? A steel pipe would or the edge of a sidewalk I guess?
According to prosecutors, he hit her so hard that she was lifted off the ground and landed on her head.

Mik2121

I love how everybody is like "this dude is fucking scum" without knowing if the girl was some sort of crazy woman or not. Just because she's pretty damn small, it doesn't mean she can't use violence. And I don't think the guy intended to punch her into a coma. Then again I don't think punching around is the best way to go, but without knowing how everything went, I'd rather not call him scum or a douche or anything.

PS. I personally would not punch a lady. But when a "lady" comes by and tries to physically hurt me, she stops being one, and just becomes a 'real man' trying to use physical violence, and then.. yeah, I don't care if I punch her (if I can't just hold her hands, that is).

Freshmaker said:
According to prosecutors, he hit her so hard that she was lifted off the ground and landed on her head.

And then he ran off, at least there were others around to call the paramedics, she could have died if it was just the two of 'em.

She still could die. What a shame.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Mik2121 said:
I love how everybody is like "this dude is fucking scum" without knowing if the girl was some sort of crazy woman or not. Just because she's pretty damn small, it doesn't mean she can't use violence.
The question is how likely a 4'11" woman is to injure someone with a punch. Not very.

Mik2121

Freshmaker said:
The question is how likely a 4'11" woman is to injure someone with a punch. Not very.
A punch, not so much. But 'dem nails can hurt a lot.
I believe there was some news regarding a woman fucking up some guy's face with the nails or something.. but I can't remember very well right now.

Freshmaker said:
I wouldn't either, but I wouldn't clobber someone unless it was clearly necessary. In this situation, most likely not.

Legally, that could still be hard to justify given the players involved.

So... Hit her as hard as you can?
I mean exactly when do react then? If not after you got attacked, then when? Again, I'm not waiting until I'm possibly in a vulnerable situation by being weakened with a not far-fetched at all nut shot to be open for more damage. I think everyone knows what even moderate contact to the nuts can do to a man -- short and long term.

I think legally if he hit her once and she fell on her head, it would be easier to justify. Agreed if it was a multiple contact situation. I think any competent defense attorney will be able to navigate through a prosecution that is pushing "We know he only hit once, but he hit 'TOO HARD!' on that one punch!" and is trying to get a person sent to jail for who knows how long. If you're involving weapons, then I again agree with you. A jury would have a very east time if say he pulled (and used) a knife/gun on her in this situation. That's where you clearly get into the unreasonable escalation of force territory. But, none of that was present.

And again, to expect someone in a pressure/under attack situation to know the exact force their next punch to be is an unreasonable standard to set.

I'm not saying this isn't a crappy situation and it is unfortunate that the lady is in a coma, but if she was the aggressor and a single blow was used, well then... tough.

Riposte

The Lamp said:
Some of you people are scarier than the headlines in this section.

Seriously, get a hold of yourselves.

Nothing is more arousing than revenge. (I would say all these threads about vile criminals are hotbeds for bloodthirsty revenge fantasies, like a sexy celeb thread for erotic fantasies.)

Also this guy made the mistake of getting angry in a highly confrontational situation. If only he was calm and collected like a person sitting in front of a computer. I understand human beings so well!

Satyamdas

Banned
Devolution said:
He left the scene, if she fell and hit her head, it wouldn't be a simple case of "I didn't know I hurt her that badly."

I'm starting to get real suspicious the closer I read the article and what he has to say.
I think leaving the scene was absolutely the wrong move, but it doesn't imply any greater motive to harm or aggression on his part. We have no idea what her condition was when he left, she could have been alert and conscious and slipped into the coma later.

Freshmaker said:
Ideally, get out of the situation and call the cops to deal with her. She gets her comeuppance and you don't have to deal with attempted manslaughter charges.
Must be really cool living in ideal-land. Here in reality-ville, a call to the police because you were punched by a woman will be about 829th on the list of priorities for police to respond to. If and when police do show up, assuming she hasn't fled the scene by then, her comeuppance takes the form of a stern talking to by a couple officers. Hardly a punishment or a deterrent for the next time she decides to get violent.

Someone going into full on rage berserker mode after being slapped or punched by a 100 lb woman? Not cool, and I'd never defend that. Popping her in the lip or giving her a firm shove to say "GTF off me"? Totally cool. Shame that this case had such a tragic outcome, but let's not lose sight of the fact that she (allegedly) instigated the physical altercation and as such she bears some responsibility for what happened.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Need more facts before passing judgement. And wtf @ the people crying for death penalty.

And dammit, this thread made me want to put on 'Girlfriend in a Coma'.

DoomGyver

Can't really argue one side or the other until there is video footage. Maybe she hit him first, maybe he went overboard. Or maybe he hit her once with a KO. Sad to see she's in a coma.

Riposte said:
Nothing is more arousing than revenge.
2r4molh.jpg

I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.

Full Recovery said:
Can't really argue one side or the other until there is video footage. Maybe she hit him first, maybe he went overboard. Or maybe he hit her once with a KO. Sad to see she's in a coma.

Even so, he's not gaining any points considering that he ran off after knocking her down. I guess one could even compare it to a hit and run in a way. He should have stayed there and waited for the ambulance to arrive.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Satyamdas said:
Must be really cool living in ideal-land. Here in reality-ville, a call to the police because you were punched by a woman will be about 829th on the list of priorities for police to respond to. If and when police do show up, assuming she hasn't fled the scene by then, her comeuppance takes the form of a stern talking to by a couple officers. Hardly a punishment or a deterrent for the next time she decides to get violent.
If you press battery charges, yeah, she's dealing with a far more uncomfortable situation than a black eye.

Someone going into full on rage berserker mode after being slapped or punched by a 100 lb woman? Not cool, and I'd never defend that. Popping her in the lip or giving her a firm shove to say "GTF off me"? Totally cool. Shame that this case had such a tragic outcome, but let's not lose sight of the fact that she (allegedly) instigated the physical altercation and as such she bears some responsibility for what happened.
In Idealsville perhaps. She's not going to learn much in a coma, and the dude's facing jail time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Riposte said:
Nothing is more arousing than revenge. (I would say all these threads about vile criminals are hotbeds for bloodthirsty revenge fantasies, like a sexy celeb thread for erotic fantasies.)

Also this guy made the mistake of getting angry in a highly confrontational situation. If only he was calm and collected like a person sitting in front of a computer. I understand human beings so well!
Let's see in what mood you'll be when someone jacks your parking spot after you have looked for it for 3 hours..

I see people going around for up to 3+ hours at night trying to find a spot (NYC), I work 12am to 8am as a security guard in a university, I feel really bad for the people looking for spots at this time.

It must be super irritating to have to look for spots.. They circle city blocks a dizzying amount of times lol..

Slayer-33 said:
Let's see in what mood you'll be when someone jacks your parking spot after you have looked for it for 3 hours..

I see people going around for up to 3+ hours at night trying to find a spot (NYC), I work 12am to 8am as a security guard in a university, I feel really bad for the people looking for spots at this time.

It must be super irritating to have to look for spots..

O defense force U.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Devolution said:
O defense force U.
Clearly responding to his "he made the mistake of getting angry"

He was angry to begin with I bet.

I'm so glad that I don't have a car here, fuck that shit... Although i want one :|

And to make spmething clear, if she didn't attack him then it's on him, if she did she poured gasoline on the fire.

He should have just tried to force her out of the way with his car and parked but probably didn't want to risk getting it vandalized.

Satyamdas

Banned
Freshmaker said:
If you press battery charges, yeah, she's dealing with a far more uncomfortable situation than a black eye.
No, she wouldn't be. A misdemeanor is less than a slap on the wrist. Don't act like she'd face anything other than a couple hours in court and a couple hundred bucks in fines/fees.

Freshmaker said:
In Idealsville perhaps. She's not going to learn much in a coma, and the dude's facing jail time.
Assuming she instigated the altercation, I'd say she probably learned to be more cautious about getting physical with someone bigger and stronger than her.

As for him facing jail time, it all hinges on video evidence (if any), eyewitness accounts (if any), and whether or not the coma is a result of excessive self-defense. If what happened is 1 punch in defense > head cracked on pavement, I don't think he deserves or should even be worrying about jail time. If he unleashed a 6 punch combination, or hit her after she was incapacitated, then I'm right in line ready to see this fucker rot.

Riposte

Slayer-33 said:
Clearly responding to his "he made the mistake of getting angry"

He was angry to begin with I bet.

I'm so glad that I don't have a car here, fuck that shit... Although i want one :|

And to make spmething clear, if she didn't attack him then it's on him, if she did she poured gasoline on the fire.

He should have just tried to force her out of the way with his car and parked but probably didn't want to risk getting it vandalized.

Frankly, you need to read posts more critically.

Shanadeus

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
I get the impression the idea of 'never hit a woman regardless' is fading thin in today's society.
Good.
It should be "Never hit a weaker person regardless" instead.

Gender neutrality for the win!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shanadeus said:
Good.

How will you know who's weaker until you beat the crap out of each other?

There has to be more known to the story before I can judge.

If she hit him first then he had an immediate reaction to do one punch or a connect, then its self defense, its instinct, he did nothing wrong.

However if she hit him and he started beating her ass then yeah it is his fault.

Shanadeus said:
Good.

I kinda agree. I'm not going to lie if some of these girls tried to fight me I wouldn't hold back.

You can't tell me if a 6 foot 170 pound girl was going to duke it out with you you'd just stand there.

Dance In My Blood said:

Common sense.

Shanadeus

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Smaller body size is likely to mean less muscle mass if both people are otherwise equally we-trained.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shanadeus said:
Smaller body size is likely to mean less muscle mass if both people are otherwise equally we-trained.
Alright. I'm probably smaller than you, I'll take the challenge.

You and me.
No weapons.
No items.
Fox only.
Final Destination.

Shanadeus

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Alright. I'm probably smaller than you, I'll take the challenge.

You and me.
No weapons.
No items.
Fox only.
Final Destination.
Yeah, I'd just run away as engaging in a fight is stupid.

The M.O.B

Absolutely hate people who "save" spaces for late arriving people, on a crowded bus, a crowded theater, or some sort of long line. Especially when they are saving space for like 5 different people, pisses me off.

With that said, we really need to see video of this before any judgment.

And who the heck stays around after a fight??? Of course the dude zoomed off.

Man, I'm tired of this.

I just turned 23 and living by the rule of "don't punch those you don't want to get hit by" that my mother installed in me has served me pretty damn well so far.

I think everyone has a different story in their heads. Some people here seem to think she just did some pussy lil girl slap and he went beast mode on her, raining punches down upon her like a pack of Lions on a lil dear.

I'm not sorry to say that if you're an able minded adult of any gender and you choose to start a fight over something stupid then you risk getting knocked into a coma or worse.

What do I think happened?
She is preventing him from taking an open, public parking space with her body so that her BF can park there (already in the wrong). Fuller yells, gets out of his car and they start to yell at each other. She likely brings up that she is some how holding the parking spot for her BF in some batshit ranting (I'm assuming someone who feels entitled to prevent others from parking in a public parking spot so that there bf can come later to claim it WILL sound batshit when someone confronts them about this). In the peek of this yelling and heated exchanges from both sides she decides to attack him, thinking that he will not fight back because of her small frame.
Once "attacked", he punches her in the face once or twice and she hits the ground like a shack of bricks. Given the general look of the event he likely thinks its best if he leave now ("she just got knocked the fuck out and will be on the ground for a lil bit, I should leave before she wakes up and tries to start some more shit" is more likely what he thought than "She looks like shes in a coma". And on top of that she likely brung up that she has a bf near by and if he sees this then thats another fight waiting to happen)

And "attacked" could mean a few things. She could have kicked him in the groan or given him a full on right hook ... just because she is 100LBs doesn't mean she did some lil pansy child slap.

Hell, given how I don't get into fights I wouldn't think twice about leaving the scene either if I thought I just knocked someone out who attacked and provoked me.

He seems sure in these events and that a cam can prove he did get attacked and he didn't do more than "hit back". If he is telling the truth then I see no reason for him to go to jail. If he DID rain blow upon her like a lion pride killing a dear ... then thats to much.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
If she hit him first, and he hit her hard enough to cause that... well they both sound like trash. If you're fighting over a parking spot you've already failed at life.

Shanadeus said:
That won't help him.
I also found this to be amusing:

You don't just punish intent and foreseeable acts lol.
Uh, the legal system uses that all of the time lol. Both intent and "foreseeable acts." That's like... all of tort law. Intent could mean the difference between manslaughter and murder charges or the decision to pursue action in the first place in the criminal realm.

Eh... it's entirely possible his punch was an involuntary reaction to her blow, and it's also entirely possible that he felt threatened by her (like MWS Natural said, she could have been going for his eyes or something). It was a charged situation and neither of them was being reasonable. I mean, she struck him over a parking space argument (I will assume the puncher is telling the truth, seeing as we will all know what happened once the video surfaces). Nobody wants to call her out over that, you'll notice.

It's awful that she's in a damn coma over something like this, and maybe the guy was entirely at fault here, but maybe not. We don't know if he hit her once (could be understandable under the right circumstances) or several times (not so understandable).

EDIT: ^ Good post, Black-Wind.

Shanadeus

Banned
GoldenEye 007 said:
Uh, the legal system uses that all of the time lol. Both intent and "foreseeable acts." That's like... all of tort law. Intent could mean the difference between manslaughter and murder charges or the decision to pursue action in the first place in the criminal realm.
I just meant that non-intent and non-foreseeable acts are punishable as well.

Shanadeus said:
Good.

In this case it should be "Never throw the first punch at someone who can break you".

Edit-Typo :p

Shanadeus

Banned
Black-Wind said:
In this case it should be "Never throw the first punch at someone who can brake you".
Isn't as important though, it all depends on what that punch was like and even than you still risk using a disproportionate amount of force when retaliating.

Why retaliate in the first place?
If he feared his life then he should have ran away.
Sounds to me that he didn't want to look "weak" but I guess we'll find out when the video surfaces.

Neki

so you guys are telling me that if you were in a fight, after knocking down the other guy, you'd totally stay and make sure he's okay, and if he's not, call an ambulance? seems like very wishful thinking. not to say that what he did was right, but I really doubt any of you would have stuck around to see the damage you had caused.

Devolution said:
I don't think people who get punched should be going into full on violent rages either. Self-defense shouldn't be used as a rationalization for putting someone into a coma, at least in this case.
If someone your size attacked me for no reason, I might very well punch that person once, even though I'm over twice as big. Hopefully the little person would just get the wind knocked out of them and learn a lesson, but if they happened to die, I just see it as one less criminal in this world.

Kurtofan

When someone attacks you, you sometimes lose control.
I don't defend the guy, but I don't know what I would do if a random woman attacked me,no matter how weak the attack is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom