• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I just realized that I've made more posts in these later Manga OTs about off the path things like this than I have with the staple stuff like Big 3 and whatnot. I guess I'm a very sporadic manga reader, but I do read a lot of stuff. That being said:

Akami Ga Kill

First off, thank you cosmicblizzard for posting impressions of this a page or so back. The name was familiar so I went back and read it only to remember this was the one Flawfuls highlighted a thread or so back when only the first chapter was translated.

Now then with that being said, I like what I'm seeing. A lot of great action scenes rivaling the best parts of Soul Eater in dynamics, kooky cast, good sprinkling of humor. Not bad so far. Here's hoping we see more of that Head General Esdese and more Tatsumi/Leore teamups soon.

Akami Ga Kill

First off, thank you cosmicblizzard for posting impressions of this a page or so back. The name was familiar so I went back and read it only to remember this was the one Flawfuls highlighted a thread or so back when only the first chapter was translated.

Now then with that being said, I like what I'm seeing. A lot of great action scenes rivaling the best parts of Soul Eater in dynamics, kooky cast, good sprinkling of humor. Not bad so far. Here's hoping we see more of that Head General Esdese and more Tatsumi/Leore teamups soon.

Yeah, Akame is great. Pretty damn brutal for a shounen too. If the main characters are going to embrace the idea of killing, this is how it should be done rather than stuff like Code:Breaker. And it will still probably bite them in the ass in the end anyway even when the targets are horrible horrible people.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I literally don't even remember what happened in the last few chapters. It doesn't exactly surprise me that the arcs have already boiled down to fighting, either. I'm not sure what the consensus is on Kubo's fights, but they're basically terrible.

Nobody's taken anyone's back yet so it's not totally serious yet. Once we get the pec slice, we'll know it's on.

survivor

Banned
Again 10-12

ibf1HeMsirU1Pu.jpg

Well Usami just made everyone quit and the entire plan is ruined but the cheering squad is fucked too. Gonna be interesting to see if Usami will budge in and ask for help from the 3rd year members

gunbo13

Read One Piece :)
The penalty should fit the crime. That it overly harsh and then some.
And interest has dwindled in other ongoing stuff like Magico
That's because it has gotten boring. I've done plenty of Magico posts and I'm currently bored with it.
People will pick up ongoing shonen crap, but it usually needs to be longer or have enough waifus
They all have that. Also mostly boring plots.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In Aku No Hana, why did they assume the girl's clothes were stolen by a pervert as opposed to some janitor picked them up or she just forgot them.

gunbo13

Which is unfortunate because it had kind of a neat premise. I also got tired of Shion being a tsundere and Emma being completely useless.
Zero character progression or evolving aim in narrative will do that. In fact, the character progression purposely regresses due to the non-evolving narrative. Weird.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In Aku No Hana, why did they assume the girl's clothes were stolen by a pervert as opposed to some janitor picked them up or she just forgot them.
Cause they had a pervert recently rampaging around the school/town.

Sensationalist reactions ahoy!

survivor

Banned
Ryuushika Ryuushika vol 1

If you need your Yotsuba fix then this is pretty much your best choice. It's basically the same format, random adventures of a little girl but it's more surreal and it's all in colour

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Naruto

So Madara was pulling "I am not left handed" the entire time and actually can just destroy the entire planet with his Goku powers and now will just die randomly because Edo Tensei is over? This is really dumb, but I have a theory that Tobi will just use the Rinnegan-resurrection power to bring Madara back to life for reals since it would be a giant "fuck you" to basically say, "Madara is so violently overpowered he could kill all 5 kages at once," but then nobody kills him legitimately and he just dies because Kabuto let him go for no real reason.

Or else he'll simply use his Rinnegan to make himself alive since it controls life and death.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I forgot the eyes can do such horseshit (unless that's a Nagato only technique kinda like how the Uchiha's MS skills seems to have a specific technique for someone)

No, that was one of the six paths. Further, when Madara was brought back, he complained that he wasn't brought back via that method like he'd planned before he died.

Zekes!

Started reading Trinity Seven; the MC is definitely a cool dude.

I also read a bit of Itaitashii Love; basically a collection of ever day, 'normal' love stories. Is kind of pleasant especially because I've been reflecting on my own romantic life a lot lately.

edit: also Pastel is still a thing? I remember reading it years ago in high school and it being slow as fuck. How's it at 31 volumes?!

Yozakura Quartet

Whoa. I think this might be the best chapter in the series. A constant sense of escalation and tactics. Shidou is badass even if he didn't do much here and I had no idea the word power could be transferred over a phone. Craziness.

I hope the wolf guy brings some cool stuff to the table. Every single half-youkai has joined after they've been defeated and they've all been great additions to the story.

gunbo13

edit: also Pastel is still a thing? I remember reading it years ago in high school and it being slow as fuck. How's it at 31 volumes?!
lol No comment.
Ninja girl best girl
Arin. Nothing is better then cold personality self-waifu claimers who talk along with your sexual innuendo and climb into your bed. Ninja girl is damn good though. MC is great but I can't think of any other series with so many likable harem candidates. I predicted this though cause of Countrouble, which also has all likable female characters. I've been a screaming T7 fan-girl since.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
lol No comment.

Arin. Nothing is better then cold personality self-waifu claimers who talk along with your sexual innuendo and climb into your bed. Ninja girl is damn good though. MC is great but I can't think of any other series with so many likable harem candidates. I predicted this though cause of Countrouble, which also has all likable female characters. I've been a screaming T7 fan-girl since.

The harem part of T7 is pretty much flawless, but the story and setting desperately needs some exposition. Also, the 2 judgement girls and their whole "we'll kill you at a moment's notice" thing is kind of weird.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kubo is a master of conveying meaning through images. It's not about quantity, but quality.

upandaway

Why does a volleyball manga have so much text? It's even beating Bakuman
It doesn't even have that much text (plus it'll probably drop way lower when they actually start playing volleyball).

That said, what the hell at HxH. Less text than Toriko and Nisekoi? No way.

gunbo13

The harem part of T7 is pretty much flawless, but the story and setting desperately needs some exposition. Also, the 2 judgement girls and their whole "we'll kill you at a moment's notice" thing is kind of weird.
Unfortunately, Nao Akinari has shown to be weak with narratives. The manga rely on the characters, which are usually done quite well. I doubt T7 will break this.

Lain

Had some time today to read a couple things:

Mardock Scramble vol 6
54d0c0e1fa6bbdd4488e4f7f56c4b2ab661a86b7.png

Great volume, with a splendid buildup (and conclusion) to the challenge between Balot and the croupier.
I really liked the way Balot, through this challenge, grew up somewhat, mainly discovering the courage to stand up with her own strength. Plus, the way she went
against Shell at the end, basically rubbing it into his face and then leaving like that.
Only 1 volume left, which is going to take some months to come out here, but I expect it to be pretty cool.

Evil Heart vol 1
811d9144748ec1e4d9776a8e77791caf569e91cc.png

Another interesting read about a troubled/troublesome young kid (Umeo Masaki) that always ends up in some fight and that, supposedly, through learning Aikido will hopefully fix his character. The reasons for his actions are explained toward the end of the volume, but even without one from the get go, it's apparent that there is some serious reasons for it, with hints and everything that made me interested in learning what exactly went on and why.
The school teacher that also teaches Aikido seems like a great person, while Umeo's sister is a caring/protective girl that is forced to act as a grown up to take care about herself and the brother, while just being a highschool girl.
End of volume pissed me off because of Umeo's brother coming back home and not only hitting the sister, but bringing more violence back into Umeo's life.

Maou Juvenile Remix vol 8
aa5e26a283eb94976e1af1fdc69ea8dfdcc21e87.png

I'm not sure about what Junya's power is exactly (I admit I skimmed this volume, so I'll have to reread it later), but the whole revenge ending the way it did imho worked perfectly in keeping him "clean", so to speak, and the meeting with Inukai was badass, when Ando sort of came out as a personality? of Junya, telling Inukai what he wanted to have him say the day he died, spooking Inukai somewhat.
I'm curious about the part this Miss group will play as well as Pushman and his family.

In other (useless) news, I literally just now found out that Yet the Town Turns should start getting published here (Italy) this month or next.

It's true because alot of people don't bother to pick up what's being catalogued. Haven't seen Lain post anything in forever.

That's because something pretty depressing happened and I don't have as much freedom as before, though I still read stuff even if only to keep the mind busy and not dwell on certain things, but posting about it feels sort of... wrong.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Unfortunately, Nao Akinari has shown to be weak with narratives. The manga rely on the characters, which are usually done quite well. I doubt T7 will break this.

Well, the characters are really good in T7, it's a shame he has a poor track record for narrative...

xxxHolic
This was a long read.
I liked it, besides the whole mess between
Watanuki, Syaoran, and Sakura
, I really enjoyed the whole supernatural part and fullfilling each new customer or solving whatever new trouble came up. Sure, the manga was a cryptic mess as well and I'm sure way too much black ink was used for this but it was still a good read.
I really did like the evolution of Watanuki's character and I was even ok with the chapters after
Yuuko's death
, even though they did felt like they were dragging with it.
The ending did catch me by surprise with the reveal that the last dream was actually long into the future. CLAMP did it pretty well, not letting the reader know how much time has passed til the very end.

xxxHolic
This was a long read.
I liked it, besides the whole mess between
Watanuki, Syaoran, and Sakura
, I really enjoyed the whole supernatural part and fullfilling each new customer or solving whatever new trouble came up. Sure, the manga was a cryptic mess as well and I'm sure way too much black ink was used for this but it was still a good read.
I really did like the evolution of Watanuki's character and I was even ok with the chapters after
Yuuko's death
, even though they did felt like they were dragging with it.
The ending did catch me by surprise with the reveal that the last dream was actually long into the future. CLAMP did it pretty well, not letting the reader know how much time has passed til the very end.

Been meaning to get around to reading it since it followed trc. Would go nicely on my bookshelf beside it.

gunbo13

I watched about 8 episodes of the xxxHolic anime and was bored to tears. It had a lot of mystique, kind of like Hell Girl (which was great until they made way too many season), but just was so boring. And the art style with those super long thin limbs is not my style. I really did want to like it though but it didn't work out.

--

And going back to the "diversity" discussion. I would be more then happy to pick up a lot of the reads that people write about here. I simply just have too many series to follow and not enough time. I cut about 20 series out to get my reading list down to about 80, but that's still a lot. That's my issue at least in picking up tons of manga from the thread.

Dina

Thanks for the one who made the recommendation to read Front Mission: Dog Life & Dog Style.

Great art and it ticks all the right boxes with me when it comes to the dreary, bleak outlooks of enduring endless war and the ways people live with it. From drugs to meaningless sex to forget it all.

Now I wish there were more than 4 chapters. And that the subbers worked somewhat harder ;)

Had some time today to read a couple things:

Mardock Scramble vol 6
http://i.picpar.com/54d0c0e1fa6bbdd4488e4f7f56c4b2ab661a86b7.png[/im\g]

Great volume, with a splendid buildup (and conclusion) to the challenge between Balot and the croupier.
I really liked the way Balot, through this challenge, grew up somewhat, mainly discovering the courage to stand up with her own strength. Plus, the way she went [spoiler]against Shell at the end, basically rubbing it into his face and then leaving like that.[/spoiler]
Only 1 volume left, which is going to take some months to come out here, but I expect it to be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Is it as visually stunning as the movie(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom