• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga is way more diverse and varied than I had imagined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Omoide Emanon
wandering_emanon__cleaned_cover__by_shannaro666-d7ygtgv.jpg

aw man. You made me look up the author to check if he has made anything substantial since bokurano, but he has only a few volumes here and there. Now I feel bad. I hope you're happy.

Nanika Mochigattemasu ka is so bad. Not sure what happened to the guy beause Bokurano is gut-wrenching.

Does the story have a definitive conclusion? Or is it one of those "open" type of endings where things are left to interpretations?

The premise seems pretty unique.

Jeeeez

That's a lousy schedule, but I can only assume those authors/artists are passionate enough about their work to persevere though all that.
Sorry for the late response, it has a fairly definite conclusion, it's slightly open to interpretation and doesn't explain in detail all the circumstances of the story, but you'll basically have it figured out what happened. Like most of Oshimi's work, it's much more focused on the broader themes of the story rather than the basic plot and characters.

More_Badass, are you only looking for sci-fi, or are you open to other genres also?

Kickz

Glad to see this thread. As someone who only looked at manga at the book fair in middle school when the broke out the Shonen Jump, reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito all day yesterday fucked me up real good.

Oh hell yes, this shit was an acid trip.

Haunting as fuck...

This is the classiest thread I've read in a long time.

Every good recommendation I could have thought of, and then a million more I'm excited to check out.

asagami_

Banned
Spread the love brother.
AQUA/ARIA

Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō are SO GOOD. I like Aria a bit more because it's more character-driven (and because Alice), but Yokohama have many amazing moments.

I would like recommend my favorite manga: Hoshi no Samidare. It have everything about how a shounen should be.

The fact it don't have an anime is so sad. But just Trigger would do it justice, any other... no.
And I wouldn't accept a Hoshi no Samidare anime without The Pillows, or at least, certaint song.

kswiston

Was thinking of going volume by volume due to not being sure if I like it, but the box set is definitely quite cheaper than getting them individually

I don't know if you watch animated films, but if you have seen Princess Mononoke or Laputa: Castle in the Sky and liked them, your chances of disliking Nausicaa are pretty slim. It's arguably the best thing Hayao Miyazaki has done. Definitely up there with his better films.

Ratrat

Eh, I don't think I agree with that. American and European comics are extremely varied as well.
Really dont think there is a comparison. You have to walk through an actual manga store to really realize it.
I would say the breadth of stuff for women alone proves this.

One of my favorite forms of media. Easier to get into than novels with almost as much variety, less time consuming than TV, and more room to stretch than film.

Standard list:

Berserk
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
Mushishi
Nausicaa
Planetes
Vagabond

2nd tier recommendations off the top of my head (these are all still great):

Cross Game
Detective Conan (find a chapter guide to dodge the filler)
H2
Hajime no Ippo
Hunter X Hunter
Kekkaishi
Kenji
Kingdom
One Piece
Ushio and Tora
Vinland Saga

... quite a few of that second list are ongoing though, so watch out.

kswiston

Really dont think there is a comparison. You have to walk through an actual manga store to really realize it.
I would say the breadth of stuff for women alone proves this.

I was focusing on the artwork part, but I guess he could have meant subject matter.

The issue with American comics is that the superhero genre is so dominant that people don't hear about most of the other stuff. If you stick to creator owned books, there is a ton of variety (including books aimed at women), but we are generally talking about things that sell 2-15k copies an issue (and largely not stocked in comic stores unless you preorder). American comics aren't popular anymore if we aren't counting web comic strips.

mdubs

Banned
Sports manga is worth giving a try. It's one of those things that you don't expect to care about until you are crying 27 volumes in at the team winning against their fated rival to go to nationals

While I love comics, it always impresses me how so many manga artists are able to put so much detail in their panels. You could name hundreds that can make panels like those in manga but not that many in comics.

There probably isn't anything that Japanese comic artists do better than Western comic artists, or vice versa. The breadth of works and artists and cross pollination of influences is too great for any claim like that to hold water.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oh man, you've barely scratched the surface.

Quick recommendation, anything illustrated by Yusuke Murata, specifically, Eyeshield 21:

eyeshield21_13_74.jpg

Since you're into One Punch Man, he's the guy who's doing the illustrated, none ONE version.

And, of course, Vagabond:

33b170d1078e3b8ebb15d12b7aa477ad.jpg

Eyeshield needs a new anime. That Trainwreck we got was pathetic

There's a lot of good manga out there, most of which has already been mentioned, it's not just fighting robot mechs drawings after all.

I'd say manga has more variety than all western comics combined.

Only if you've read a select amount of Western comics. There's more to it than just superheroes or funny cartoon characters, though. There are sci-fi, horror, and other types of western comics that have made in the past as well. Like a lot of genres, it can be quite varied.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There probably isn't anything that Japanese comic artists do better than Western comic artists, or vice versa. The breadth of works and artists and cross pollination of influences is too great for any claim like that to hold water.

Buncha people replied explaining why that is (I mean, I already knew but whatever) but you're the first to say that's not the case.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Started to read Promised Neverland, which I'm enjoying a lot. It's tonally dark, but not graphically for the content. Basically, the artwork works wonderfully for the content.

One of the areas that has surprised me the most with Manga has been the sports. For example, both Ace of the Diamond and Ookiku Furkuabutte are very well researched and highly detailed with how well they go into the specifics on baseball. While keeping the typical shounen aspects to a min.

I can't offer much then what hasn't been recommended already. Lots of my recommendations came from Flawlus here on Gaf and Mumei here too. Anything I'd personal recommend would be more akin to Shoujo, Shounen Ai, or something along those lines that appeal more to my feminine nature.

Picked up the first three volumes of Bokurano

The manga is so much better, but the opening for the anime is one of the most haunting ones I've seen.

kswiston

More_Badass should be checking out his local library system. Mine has a surprising amount of Manga in it. I'm sure most of it is Shonen Jump type stuff, but he might find a few gems in there.

Lack of color forced a more prominent usage of spacing and motion lines. Someone here described it as kinetic action. It's the feel of movements conveyed properly through the usage of dark lines juxtaposed on white space. For example...

Like you very rarely get that sort of punch impact conveyed in a comic panel.

Lack of color forced a more prominent usage of spacing and motion lines. Someone here described it as kinetic action. It's the feel of movements conveyed properly through the usage of dark lines juxtaposed on white space. For example...
I like black and white, like Walking Dead and whatnot, but then you see stuff like Blame or Lone Wolf and Cub, and realize how versatile the palette actually is

mid83

Maybe this thread can help me find some anime/manga as I've always stayed away for the same reason as the OP. I have started some Gundam anime stuff recommended to me here, but otherwise I haven't consumed anything.

I have heard it's good to tell people your genre preferences for good recommendations since manga/anime is so varied. I've always assumed my genre preferences don't match up with anime/manga other than sci-fi, space opera, and fantasy (more traditional western style fantasy). I also enjoy thrillers of many types (military, spy, political, crime) and mystery. Not a fan of horror or completely out there psychological thrillers. Any suggestions?

Maybe this thread can help me find some anime/manga as I've always stayed away for the same reason as the OP. I have started some Gundam anime stuff recommended to me here, but otherwise I haven't consumed anything.

I have heard it's good to tell people your genre preferences for good recommendations since manga/anime is so varied. I've always assumed my genre preferences don't match up with anime/manga other than sci-fi, space opera, and fantasy (more traditional western style fantasy). I also enjoy thrillers of many types (military, spy, political, crime) and mystery. Not a fan of horror or completely out there psychological thrillers. Any suggestions?
Blame, Knights of Sidonia, Vinland Saga, and Berserk are great for sci-fi, space opera, and fantasy. Well Vinland Saga is more historical fiction

If you read regular comics, and like crime thrillers, you absolutely must read Stray Bullets. It's a masterwork.

UberTag

This is why I get so frustrated when people use anime and manga as terms only for the stuff they don't like.
To be fair, there's opportunity for more diversity in manga for budgetary reasons. Anime budgets have to account for animators, voice acting, music, restrictions from TV networks/advertisers, etc. So there's some justification to make generalizations about anime. They typically have to play it safer.

casiopao

Houseki no Kuni for beautiful art and Buddhist kinda manga with tons of crazy twist.^~^

Broken Blade for those looking for mecha action with some Escaflowne traits.^^

KonradLaw

Yeah. I do prefer it over american and european comics to be honest. I like how they have single story to tell with actual end in sight plus I love the speed of release. This is what kills american comics for me. 30 pages a month is too damn slow. It's very slow and creators know it, so especially in superhero comics the stories get to be too compressed and rarely reach their full potential. One of the reasons why I got more into DC comics recently was because Rebirth made some series release twice a month and that speed reminds of me of manga

wandering

Banned

Hard sci-fi, cyberpunk, and robots:

Planetes
Space Brothers
Dennou Coil
Pale Cocoon
Time of Eve
Flag
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Eden: It's an Endless World
Blame!
Biomega
Battle Angel Alita

Space opera:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the definitive space opera)
Voices of a Distant Star
Space Battleship Yamato
Macross

Fantasy:

Berserk
Claymore
Fullmetal Alchemist
Attack on Titan

Thriller:

Anything and everything by Naoki Urasawa
Sanctuary
Black Lagoon
Yuureitou
Ikigami
Akumetsu
Jiraishin
Freesia

And from it was down the rabbit hole. First manga series I got into was Lone Wolf and Cub, follow by Parasyte, which had caught my eye due to the crazy body horror action. Then onto Blame and Biomega, both with their intricate art style and sci-fi horror stories. Blade of the Immortal, The Drifting Classroom, and One Punch Man soon after, and then Tomie, Gyo, and Berserk

On my wishlist for the future, I got my eye on Knights of Sidonia, Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Ajin: Demi-Human, and Dorohedoro. And keeping my fingers crossed that Uzumaki gets a digital release.

Congrats, you have discovered seinen. You are a grown-up now :p.

And there is still more variety out there, from josei that have a different style from seinen, to manga that is a bit more obscure/indie than your average title.

zoukka

Only if you've read a select amount of Western comics. There's more to it than just superheroes or funny cartoon characters, though. There are sci-fi, horror, and other types of western comics that have made in the past as well. Like a lot of genres, it can be quite varied.

I know. Yet this one medium from one continent trumps it all. It's crazy. I mean you can't even name a subject that doesn't have a manga dedicated to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom