• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten Count gets great covers.
BxqD0XtCYAEJAT1.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Spinoza END

FrLWuYB.png

Yeah I don't really fucking know what to make of this. It's like stream of consciousness poetry by someone on copious amounts of LSD. Basically just a surreal stream of events that are somehow linked together but... not?

Cool thing to check out though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Not here silly!

Be right back, pming mod :p
on a serious note, i consider myself lucky that the tag i got is this one, considering i post stuff even stupider than this.

===============================================
Spriggan 1-11
This feel like early 90's action movie. It's a very solid action btw. I already read the whole thing since it's published in my country. I say give it a shot if you enjoy cheesy action manga

Zweizer

Banned
Spinoza by Koike Keiichi

...I'm not sure of what I've just read.

The concept and format are pretty... unique so there's that.

Antiwhippy

Looked up other works by koike keiichi.

Ultra Heaven

he story is set in a dystopian alternative present where any kind of substance able to alter the state of mind is legalized and authorized for consumption at home or in designated places called Pomp Bars.
These products, once considered very dangerous, are now freely advertised on TV. The bartender chooses the ones more suited to his customers and serves them with special cocktails.

When the Pompies movement obtained the liberalization of the drugs it seemed a historically meaningful change destined to improve the world - a dream realized in a manner that radically affected humanity's way of life.
But in a world where all feelings are artificial and where everyone is a potential drug addict, nothing has really changed for the better. Only a select few drugs are considered dangerous and put under strict control by hygiene offices, which is given full authority to handle matters related to the severely addicted.

The main character is Kabu, a small-time peddler and heavy addict. Used to any kind of hallucinogenic trip, he is able to feel the happiness through the ecstasy of the drug, while on the same time hypocritically hating who gave birtn to that society which has forced him to the live this way.
After an overdose caused by mixing two incompatible drugs, he spends his days looking for stimulants until the encounter with an enigmatic man who offers him a new kind of illegal substance...Ultraheaven
From that moment on his incredible journey begins - where dream and reality are fused in an undivided world - causing him both hysterical joy and unbearable pain.

Of course he has written a manga about drugs.

Which actually sounds fucking awesome. Fuck nisekoi, I'm reading this instead.

Usobuko

Banned
How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword

So, another victim of the light novel trend?

Sekitou Elergy 1-49

sweet

There's a few things I like about Sekitou Elergy.

I always find it hilarious how clumsy they are as a couple and the contrast of their personalities. The progression from one chapter to another was smooth because the panels at the end of each chapter usually acts as a continuation of the events in their life rather than something akin to a filler. And lastly, for once, this is a story that spent much more time on the couple's life together than the journey which brought them together.

Usobuko

Banned
Is Reiroukan Still Alive? 1-7

This manga is just incredibly enjoyable. The characters are great and diverse, from visual design (holy smokes, these women!) to small details of their personalities. I was especially happy when the 2 kinda nerdy characters had the balls to pull a prank on the main character after he called them big kids. They didn't have long speeches about how he's a pleb, get severely embarrassed or vow eternal vengeance.

No, they gave him some knock-out meds with his wine and dragged him into a girl's room in his underwear. It was an overblown reaction, but it was also humorous, little inventive and immediate.

And I don't think I'm giving the art too much praise by saying it's on same level with Kaoru Mori's series. So much emphasis on giving everything proper texture, the careful, deliberate and yet incredibly common hatching and crosshatching

His art is good and at times reminisce of Kaoru Mori's. 7 chapters in, I already like Reiroukan more than Yawarakai Onna which was his previous work. It's probably because I don't think short stories are his strength, he tends to favour whimsical characters and his narration lacks focus as a result.

Have you seen Kasai Sui's art? She's under the same publisher as Kaoru Mori and currently serializing in the same magazine too. Image jacked from Suvivor's 2012 post.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
shame this thread never has bookclubs for good authors

Yeah right, if we let MangaGAF vote on it, we'd have a choice between yuri, yaoi, S&M, an acid trip manga, or straight up hentai.

Antiwhippy

Ultra Heaven vol.1

This was super awesome. Really interesting with the way it interweaves between dream and reality, and the way it explores how true emotions are when you can artificially control them through drugs, and how kabu, the main protagonist, goes into a spiral of destruction in order to escape this feeling of fakeness that developed from his drug habit.

But if you don't care about all that there are some seriously sweet hallucinogenic artwork that are super awesome. I really wish that I could post a whole bunch of these. The art is so good. Really depicts the stream of consciousness of going on an insane trip, which contrast really well when he eventually snaps back into reality.

Usobuko

Banned
Yeah right, if we let MangaGAF vote on it, we'd have a choice between yuri, yaoi, S&M, an acid trip manga, or straight up hentai.

It's just the internet culture taking over.

MangaGAF is actually pretty diverse, there's quite a few of you here who either read a lot and/or are into some rather obscure works.

Antiwhippy

If I could force all of you to read 3 mangas of my choosing it would be glass mask, Wa ga na wa umishi and 7 seeds.

So basically mangas about acting, ship salvaging and post-apocalyptic survival.

And everyone would be better people for it! :p

If I could force all of you to read 3 mangas of my choosing it would be glass mask, Wa ga na wa umishi and 7 seeds.

So basically mangas about acting, ship salvaging and post-apocalyptic survival.

And everyone would be better people for it! :p

7 Seeds <3

Will read Wa Ga Na Wa Umishi. Seems interesting.

Onigari no Mori de 11

Finally Ozuno and Kazuki can reunite, loved their little make out scene after all that happened, though so short. I hope they stay together once things are done and dont go back to their own worlds. Would be pretty sad :(

Usobuko

Banned
Wagatsuma 107

2 years without vacation just to be able to leave work a little earlier than usual on that fateful day. Sometimes you have to give it to Aoshima, for a shounen MC, he sure tried his very best for his goals.

Read those books, I guess.

It's how this works right? :p

Eventually, they were already in my PTR list.

I just cannot allow my ongoing reading list to balloon anymore so that means I will start with Wa ga na wa umishi.

Antiwhippy

There are some real hippie dippie bullshit in Ultra heaven but I feel like I'm tripping the fuck out just by reading it. There's some really good use of panelling to make everything feel like it's encircling around you.

I just cannot allow my ongoing reading list to balloon anymore so that means I will start with Wa ga na wa umishi.

Do it!

Word of advice, the protagonist can get super whiney at first, but stick through it.

Also has some of the best bromances in manga.

Antiwhippy

Ultra heaven vol3

I just can't comprehend some of the visual metaphors, mostly because it's nearly entirely made of visual metaphors. Like, what is this?

Still, seems like we have moved on from drugs to an exploration of the innerself. Which isn't all that different I guess.

Also goddamnit now it's on hiatus.

upandaway

Ultra heaven vol3

I just can't comprehend some of the visual metaphors, mostly because it's nearly entirely made of visual metaphors. Like, what is this?

Still, seems like we have moved on from drugs to an exploration of the innerself. Which isn't all that different I guess.

Also goddamnit now it's on hiatus.
Metaphor for slavery, next

Antiwhippy

Slavery to consumer culture, man. About how the outer world is an illusion caused by misaligned chakras.

That volume actually uses the word chakra at some point. If my mind wasn't so bent out of shape by the art I would be laughing my ass off.

Second Brain 5-End

That was the ending, what even, what about Number 5, did he die?! Sure the three chapters were pretty intents on their own, but for that to be an ending was just unexpected. What was jump sq thinking :(

Am a fan of the writer from this so I would read their next work but :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom