• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
...I think the first manga I ever read was a random volume of Yugioh, and all I remember is being baffled at how different and much darker it was from the show.

I was in grade school, I barely knew shit back then.

This was my experience too, except in the US shonen jump magazine.

The Country of Sunlight Filtering Through Tree Leaves ch5-8

Does playing chess count towards "cute girls doing cute things"? Hmm... I don't think I've seen that one before, haha.
I knew someone in the chess club that would flash her cleavage at her male opponents to distract them into making dumb moves.

I think it actually worked out pretty well.

Zweizer

Banned
Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 13-15

This manga is gosh darn adorable. Drama-free romance is the best romance. Everything is happy.

This was the best couple so far too.

I wish I had your rose-tinted glasses when I read this. I can't help but find the whole thing very dumb and nothing more than a thinly-veiled fantasy fulfillment for archetyped male leads that almost certainly reflect some target readership.

upandaway

I wish I had your rose-tinted glasses when I read this too. I can't help but find the whole thing very dumb and nothing more than a thinly-veiled fantasy fulfillment for archetyped male leads that almost certainly reflect some target readership.
I'm confused. If anyone seemed like a self-insert, it was the girls, not the guys (and that's a bit pushing it too). I honestly think you came at it wrong.

upandaway

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga
Hey cool manga sucks that it's short and finished, let's see if there's more... like... it...

zvUlo6o.png

7mhmlN7.png

N-no biggie, I can always count on the recs in times like...

xyW98rC.png

times... times like...

bHzYfb2.png

uD3fFwf.png

at least one...

lh8shC8.png
PIL8lLR.png
ShmluyG.png

Lain

I think I started with DragonBall and followed it with Ushio & Tora and Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure. I don't remember when I started buying Ogenki Clinic in the timeline though.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm confused. If anyone seemed like a self-insert, it was the girls, not the guys (and that's a bit pushing it too). I honestly think you came at it wrong.

Maybe it's my cynicism speaking but personally none of the characters felt anything more than your usual archetypes, and every male character felt very bland (ordinary guy or otaku guy), seemed to go with the flow and just, in a way, "profit" from getting the perfect girl (and I'm not talking about genetics here) who seemed to be little more than the recipient of one fantasy or another (perfect little sister, popular classmate, etc.).

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had your rose-tinted glasses when I read this. I can't help but find the whole thing very dumb and nothing more than a thinly-veiled fantasy fulfillment for archetyped male leads that almost certainly reflect some target readership.

This is pretty much what I thought of it too. Dumb shit.

Sooo.. I am mostly done with scy's previous recommendation for romance mangas. I skipped the S&M one since I'm really not into that. Recently finished Uwagaki. Planning to read Wagatsuma-san but it's ending in two weeks so I'll wait for it to end to marathon till the end. Anymore recommendations for romance manga? I prefer completed or almost close to the end so I won't have to despair waiting for it to be completed.

I feel like I recced stuff to you earlier, but I forget what exactly I gave you. If you don't mind something ongoing, but episodic and so fucking adorable, you can try Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. It's six chapters long and reads like Tonari no Seki-kun pretty much.

Something complete that I haven't read yet, but have heard nothing but praise for is The Music of Marie. I've heard it might be more tragically romantic though, if you're looking for something happy.

This looks fucking delicious. Someone airmail me one.

upandaway

Maybe it's my cynicism speaking but personally none of the characters felt anything more than your usual archetypes, and every male character felt very bland (ordinary guy or otaku guy), seemed to go with the flow and just, in a way, "profit" from getting the perfect girl (and I'm not talking about genetics here) who seemed to be little more than the recipient of one fantasy or another (perfect little sister, popular classmate, etc.).
The setting is super cliche but if that kind of thing bothered me I would probably be spending my time on a different medium. Their actual behavior was fine. And the matchmaking thing vanished like 2 pages into each story.

Usobuko

Banned
First manga, started reading manga at 5.

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: File Series ( 27 Volumes )

8wYgHnW.jpg

Here's how much I read over the decades that associate with Kindaichi.

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Case Series ( 10 Volumes )
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Short File Series ( 6 Volumes )
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Shin Series ( 14 Volumes )
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns ( I'm at the latest chapter )

Spin offs

Takato Shounen no Jikenbo
Akechi Shounen no Karei Naru Jikenbo
Akechi Keishi no Yuuga Naru Jikenbo

I think I read most of the novels too, as long as it's translated. Kindaichi do have a tendency to romanticize the culprit or portraying them as victims of associated crimes and tragedies. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with 'stumbling into clues' because at the very core of it is a whodunit manga which aims to provide enough (subtle) clues for the readers to solve the mystery. I am a devoted fan of whodunit mystery I guess.

Zweizer

Banned
The setting is super cliche but if that kind of thing bothered me I would probably be spending my time on a different medium. Their actual behavior was fine. And the matchmaking thing vanished like 2 pages into each story.

Yeah, I think we just had different expectations when reading this (I don't know why but I was hoping for Ikigami-style stuff when I saw the concept). I guess if you just want to read about cute couples it probably fulfilled its role.

We are old.
Hitting the age 20 this year makes me feels old

Together we make the geezer club!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the Seven Witches

Goddamnit Yamada, get it together

ksQkWPk.png

Revo

Yamada and the Seven Witches 126

We require this for science!

UQ Holder 50

Of course the majority of her clothes stay intact except for her bra, poor Karin.

Akame Ga Kill 28-52

Man this series is just too good

Also was chapter 49 meant to be 11 pages only for some reason?

I felt that the death of Night Raid's third member
Chelsea
was more of a plot necessity. Felt like the author realized her power was a bit too good and she was killed. Not so much with the 4th death
Susanoo
where he was also over powered but from the moment he showed up my first thought was that he'd be the character to die from a heroic stand while everyone escapes.

Also RIP Mine you're going to get god stomped by Esdeath when she finds you :p the death flags for her have been numerous more so then anyone else.

Zephyx

I feel like I recced stuff to you earlier, but I forget what exactly I gave you. If you don't mind something ongoing, but episodic and so fucking adorable, you can try Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. It's six chapters long and reads like Tonari no Seki-kun pretty much.

Something complete that I haven't read yet, but have heard nothing but praise for is The Music of Marie. I've heard it might be more tragically romantic though, if you're looking for something happy.

I don't remember the recs if there were any but it was about a month or two ago so forgive me. :) I'll add those to my list. Thanks~

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember the recs if there were any but it was about a month or two ago so forgive me. :) I'll add those to my list. Thanks~

Found it. I still stand by those, and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san is in the same vein as Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection.

Also try Kamisama ga Uso o Tsuku and Hakamori Majo Bianca for short complete stuff.

Zweizer

Banned

If I may, I suggest you also check out Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Yandere Kanojo if you haven't read them yet. They should be right up your alley.

I don't remember when I started buying Ogenki Clinic in the timeline though.

I had no idea what it was. Is it good?

The first, erm, adult work I've read was P Souken. I wonder if this had a big influence on my tastes.

Lain

I had no idea what it was. Is it good?

The first, erm, adult work I've read was P Souken. I wonder if this had a big influence on my tastes.

Ogenki Clinic is great. It's an hilarious comedy with a certain dose of sexual content given the subject matter, though it's all focused on making the reader laugh, starting with the doctor hairstyle and ending with what the poor nurse has to go through at times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the Seven Witches 126

We require this for science!

UQ Holder 50

Of course the majority of her clothes stay intact except for her bra, poor Karin.

I like how manga relationships go straight from first kiss to burying it balls-deep. Haven't they ever heard of 2nd and 3rd base?

Listening to the Pac-man (Club Mix) from the new Smash bros while reading is causing some hilarious moments for me when things get serious or when someone dies.

Its like a little dance party is going off in my head with all the characters.

dani_dc

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 97 / 107

Two years with no breaks (why not schedule a break for today?) and the boss still pulls that? What an asshole.

Wonder how the author will get to the happy ending from here, I'd prefer if he didn't, but I can't see this series having a negative end.

Akame Ga Kill Random Thought

I don't get the "Akame isn't relevant" comments... like what? I'd say everyone in this series is given a very equal and good amount of screen time. When I hear "x isn't relevant" I think something like Yamcha/Tien/Chaotsu from DBZ or half of the Kohona 11 in Naruto, character's who never freaking show up or do anything. Do you guys say Robin isn't relevant in OP because she almost never gets any one on one fights? Yes the past few chapters have largely focused on the Jeagers and the Wild Beasts but nobody from NR was really relevant during those chapters deliberately so. The only reason Mine is getting more screen time then Akame right now is because the author is clearly setting up for her to die horribly at Esdeath's hands.

I don't get the "Akame isn't relevant" comments... like what? I'd say everyone in this series is given a very equal and good amount of screen time. When I hear "x isn't relevant" I think something like Yamcha/Tien/Chaotsu from DBZ or half of the Kohona 11 in Naruto, character's who never freaking show up or do anything. Do you guys say Robin isn't relevant in OP because she almost never gets any one on one fights? Yes the past few chapters have largely focused on the Jeagers and the Wild Beasts but nobody from NR was really relevant during those chapters deliberately so. The only reason Mine is getting more screen time then Akame right now is because the author is clearly setting up for her to die horribly at Esdeath's hands.

Well I mean her name is on the title. So you would think she would be more prominent.

She gets enough screentime, and basically the manga is saying she's the most powerful member of her group, dealing normally with the harder fights. She may not get enough screentime, because the mangaka is too busy giving screentime to characters he's gonna kill, or otherwise we won't care about their deaths. lol

Memories of Emanon and Wandering Emanon

You have got to be kidding me.

It's not enough with Phoenix, now I am given another great sci-fi comic that most likely would never be finished? And it's based on a series of novels, too? This is the kind of work that should have been translated internationally. I am mad.

With love.

Well I mean her name is on the title. So you would think she would be more prominent.

She's still in almost every major battle in the series and gets focused on during almost every Night Raid scene. Also most of the time we bitch about manga series not giving enough focus to everyone, and yet for this series they're saying they don't give enough focus to one character *shrugs*

She gets enough screentime, and basically the manga is saying she's the most powerful member of her group, dealing normally with the harder fights. She may not get enough screentime, because the mangaka is too busy giving screentime to characters he's gonna kill, or otherwise we won't care about their deaths. lol

This too, Chelsea got pushed hard for those 10 chapters she was around :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom