• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahou Shoujo Tokushuusen Asuka 8
pNFGlzA.png
Looks like scissors girl is about to get cut from this series. Shame, since her style and modus operandi were both relevant to my interests. Assuming the rooftop monologuer is the Empress, she evidently has history with Asuka, which suggests she's one of the original squad that Kurumi was lamenting about. Though visually she doesn't seem to fit the picture of either of the two (currently unseen) survivors.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I wish RWBY would at least have more details in its backgrounds, half the time I never know where their fighting. UNless its the artists style (first time reading one of their mangas).

Yeah, it's the artist styles. He often use empty panel to convey action, though in this case, he failed to use it properly. Dogs one shot use the empty panelling to great effect, make the manga looks stylish. Tyen he start doing a series of it and now he overused it. In case of empty background and panel, he's worse than Kubo. I do like how he draw human character though.
Before everyone laughs or ignores this

Has a shonen jump fight series ever actually had a homosexual lead couple? Or a homosexual canon love interest among the supporting cast?

There's that one guy in yuyu hakusho that confirmed to be gay by Togashi
Shokugeki 194 spoiler stuff:

Basically they explain the rules - it's basically a huge tournament arc with the rebels vs. the Elite 10 guys. The stakes are the rebels being expelled, which Azami doesn't care about, but the thing he does care about is that they add in that if the rebels fail, Joichirou will agree to to close Restaurant Yukihira and will start working under Azami. We're also heading into flashbacks with Joichirou and Azami's past after this before the tournament stuff starts.

In the end this is Erina's arc, so I can only assume Erina is going to win the tournament rather than Soma. But on the plus side, this really does seem like its calculated to end Azami's arc.

Huh,i'm actually hyped for this arc
Top 10 Best Selling Manga Series (Japan)

http://www.oricon.co.jp/special/49579/7/

One Piece (12,314,326 copies)
Assassination Classroom (6,887,192)
Kingdom (6,595,968)
Attack on Titan (6,544,081)
Haikyu!! (6,474,394)
The Seven Deadly Sins (5,115,573)
My Hero Academia (5,114,916)
Tokyo Ghoul:re (4,278,599)
One-Punch Man (3,979,760)
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (3,477,128)

One piece is still the king..

Wait wait wait. I didn't look at that list cause I don't give a fuck about sales, but is Assass Classclass really number 2? I have seriously underestimated how popular that series was.

Kinda makes me happy for that author to have the success he has cause I really really like Neuro and Assass. Both were really good and not really standard shonen.

Kinda excited for what he has next.
Anime adaptation, Live action, spin off getting anime. Yeah, it's popular. Author is great and know when to end manga. Other jump authors should learn from this guy

cntr

Banned
I haven't read Assassination Classroom, but I read some of Neuro years ago and really liked it, and I have a lot of respect for him for properly ending the manga.

I really should get around to reading both of them fully.

cLOUDo

Fuuka 134

Dude really fell in love with the daughter of the guy who killed your first love.

Seo is truly the GOAT

wait what?!
Fuuka2 is the daughter of the guy who kills Fuuka1?
lol

BnHA
meh episode, how many chapters until all might shows up and stop the fight? lol

I haven't read Assassination Classroom, but I read some of Neuro years ago and really liked it, and I have a lot of respect for him for properly ending the manga.

I really should get around to reading both of them fully.
Do it. AK is amazing because Matsui treats it with the same care he treated Neuro.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch236

Chairman should hve just kept partying.

At least Gakuto can die in peace.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch150

That's a bit too shocking of a transformation, damn.

Their Story ch117

Good thing Sun Jing has such reliable friends~

Bloom Into You ch17

That's a pretty good script concept.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch84

It's gonna be an awkward confession.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch848

Pedro and Brook doing work.

My Hero Academia ch118

I hope there won't be any interruption.

Shokugeki no Soma ch194

Once again they have no chance of losing.

Hajime no Ippo:
Ippo is back, baby. Man, that was really awesome to see. Whoever Ippo faces next is going to get demolished.

One Piece:
Pudding seems like she's planning to sacrifice herself or something like that, so I guess the next step for the characters is going to be to save her. I have absolutely no clue what it was that Brook did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Starting to get hype again. I still think this is supposed to be Erina's arc and not Soma's, so I assume she's going to be the decisive factor in winning.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece Brook confirmed for best Soul King

Boku no Hero Oh shit! Yeah, that's a pretty legit reason it be upset.

Demon Plans or whatever it's called 3 Eeeeeeh, I'm warming up to this little by little. I like the returning concern of money and the girl who called a broke ass mother fucker what he is.

Magi I almost joined a suicide cult once. Like to think it would have been as bonkers as this.

Detective Conan 980:
So Kuroda seems to know who Rumi is, and Wakita also seems involved in some way. So things are definitely seeming suspicious with all of those characters (and I think this is Kuroda's first appearance in over 50 chapters, unless I'm forgetting something). Things should keep building towards Chapter 1000. I'm looking forward to getting some more clues as to who these characters are. I'm unsure if any of them are actually Rum.

Hajime no Ippo

Ippo is going to straight up kill a dude in his next fight. RIP in peace.

I'm betting we'll see him have a comeback against a world ranker and KO them in the first two rounds. That should be a pretty awesome thing to see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are you guys upset about "no chance of losing" again? For that matter, why do you guys get upset about this in every single series? If you want a series where the main character randomly dies in the middle of the narrative, you're looking for A Song of Ice and Fire, not shonen manga running in Weekly Shonen Jump.

The vast, vast majority of media doesn't involve the heroes losing battles to the literal or proverbial death. The narrative kind of does require a minimum number of characters to not get expelled given that everyone else already got expelled. I'm not sure what you're looking for beyond throwing away the premise of the manga and having them leave the school.

cntr

Banned
People complain about it because it's done badly and removes all excitement or tension from the fight. I'm fine with guaranteed wins if it's fun to read, but it usually isn't.

Zweizer

Banned
It makes the outcome predictable and boring as fuck, in an already silly and boring as fuck arc.

Like, I wouldn't even mind if there were a generous amount of foodgasms to go with it, but with the series trying and failing miserably to portray some serious story with high stakes, all it does is dissipate any tension it's desperately trying to create.

Taruranto

Soma 194

Spoiler alert: They win in the end.

Oh well. At least Souma's dad brings out an interesting side out of Azami.

Why are you guys upset about "no chance of losing" again? For that matter, why do you guys get upset about this in every single series? If you want a series where the main character randomly dies in the middle of the narrative, you're looking for A Song of Ice and Fire, not shonen manga running in Weekly Shonen Jump.

The vast, vast majority of media doesn't involve the heroes losing battles to the literal or proverbial death. The narrative kind of does require a minimum number of characters to not get expelled given that everyone else already got expelled. I'm not sure what you're looking for beyond throwing away the premise of the manga and having them leave the school.

A lot of shounen have the heroes lose or get beaten once in a while. It's no unusual, especially in sport series for example. And why are you equating losing with death anyway?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

I feel that way a lot too. I used to rant and rave about Adventure Time a lot when I was in college until a friend sat me down and said "Calm your tits, it's a kids show. Yeah there's cool stuff, but in the end, it's a kids show." And I try to think about that to calm me down when reading shonen typically. That or just read one of a dozen depressing Russian novels I own.

wait, what

Long story short, I explored alternative religions for a bit. And also people are really concerned about climate change, which made the guys whole "Sun's gonna blow up!" schtick pretty compelling. This may sound ridiculous, but I tend to do a lot of ridiculous things in real life.

If you want a series where the main character randomly dies in the middle of the narrative, you're looking for A Song of Ice and Fire, not shonen manga running in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Or you could just read
Kurohime
which was in Monthly Shonen Jump or one of the three ongoing Image comics I'm reading that did this.

LeleSocho

Banned
Long story short, I explored alternative religions for a bit. And also people are really concerned about climate change, which made the guys whole "Sun's gonna blow up!" schtick pretty compelling. This may sound ridiculous, but I tend to do a lot of ridiculous things in real life.

I approve whatever "remaining alive" religion you are following right now.

PK Gaming

Given how the plot literally cannot move if Soma and co lose, I'm willing to give the manga a pass on the whole "predictable outcome" thing

Also, literally every major Shonen outcome is predictable

Like, Luffy and his crew aren't going to lose to Big Mom, lmao

The arc's quality will mostly come down to execution (and seeing how they cut out most of the trash barring Alice) i'm feeling pretty confident

Fbh

Demon's Plan a.k.a Shonen Manga: The manga 3

Yet another chapter of the same things we have seen in countless other anime/manga and it continues to have literally nothing to set it apart. The world isn't unique, the characters aren't unique, the setting isn't unique and the power (so far) aren't unique.
It's like one of those generic shonen anime we get every season that have their 10-20 chapters and are never remembered or talked about again

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My Hero Academia ch. 118

Deku smacking some sense into Bakugou would be welcome.

One Piece ch. 848

What did Brook do though? I see I'm not the only one unsure here.

Demon's Plan a.k.a Shonen Manga: The manga 3

Yet another chapter of the same things we have seen in countless other anime/manga and it continues to have literally nothing to set it apart. The world isn't unique, the characters aren't unique, the setting isn't unique and the power (so far) aren't unique.
It's like one of those generic shonen anime we get every season that have their 10-20 chapters and are never remembered or talked about again

We've already had like 5 of those this year.

bobohoro

That's kinda a good example to portray an actual good arc filled with tension despite an obvious outcome. I mean sure, Luffy will beat Big Mom, because there is no other way the story can go. But I'm not so sure when he will do it (personally, I can't see him winning in the current arc and just think it will amount to a grand escape and pissing Big Mom off for a later showdown), what they will lose in the process or how they'll achieve it.

Soma was better earlier in that regard, since the stakes weren't that high most of the time and left paths open for different outcomes. Or at least kept the battles kinda unpredictable. But after the back story and training, which will probably be the best aspect of the next arc, what other possibility is there besides Tadokoro and Aldini showing some growth but losing at their first or second opponent, and then Soma/Erina saving the team? But in the end that too is just a sympton, not the cause. You can only do so much with a somewhat realistic cooking manga set in a school. The trouble started with the introduction of Azami, the escalation of dumb school politics and a failed shift in tone.

One Piece 848
It's kinda hard reading Brook's emotions. His abilities sure feel kinda extremely powerful right now and that soul-thingy might actual be kinda important in a fight with Big Mom?
And i might get flack for this, but I still don't trust Pudding.

MHA 118

At least they have someone higher up backing their fight, would've been dumb for Deku to lose his license over this or something.
And they will both come out stronger after this, I hope for mutual respect and maybe even some pretty good teamwork in future battles.

Youkai Shoujo 84

Isn't she kinda disregarding the fact that he's a hardcore stalker though?
Oh well, at least they're all fluffy with each other. Hime might've some fighting words for her.

Cwarrior

Zoro lost against mihawk
Luffy lost against smoker,crocodile(twice),akoji,santamoru,Magellan, ceaser clown and everyone in marineford,
The strawhats against akoji,cp9,kizaru group and kuma.

Hxh gon has pretty much Lost like half of his big fights.

Boku no hero

Calling it now kakashi(I mean eraser head) is going to interupt this fight the same he did in the first naruto & sasuke fight on the roof.

This mangka has zero new or interesting ideas his just living on, doing a pretty good execution of the shounen template created in naruto 2000-ish era.

LeleSocho

Banned
Zoro lost against mihawk
Luffy lost against smoker,crocodile(twice),akoji,santamoru,Magellan, ceaser clown and everyone in marineford,
The strawhats against akoji,cp9,kizaru group and kuma.

Hxh gon has pretty Lost like half of his big fights.
Losing against someone and then beating him 10 chapters later doesn't really count as a loss

Soma as a series has always had the "do poorly and you lose everything" from chapter 1. I think the issue is that because its a cooking series there really isn't enough unique ways to play this trope and it's hard to really show growth for the main protagonist because he's always been gifted and quirky. They've done "prepare gourmet food with mediocre ingridients" multiple times, the "facing an opponent with an especially difficult item that is their specialty", and the "stronger character is force to support a weaker character" multiple times.

I still really enjoy Soma, but I think the repetition of how the battles are set up/play out if a lot harder to hide in a series about cooking as opposed to insert generic battle shonen here.

Taruranto

Neverland 19

They author is obviously covering his bases for when they get out, but it still impossible to image what's behind the orphanage wall or how the manga will progress.

I suppose that's a good thing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Given how the plot literally cannot move if Soma and co lose, I'm willing to give the manga a pass on the whole "predictable outcome" thing

The arc's quality will mostly come down to execution (and seeing how they cut out most of the trash barring Alice) i'm feeling pretty confident
If you care about characters losing read good sports manga. MC of baby steps loses plenty and the MC of hinomaru Zumou has lost a few important fight fights and his team is filled with jobbers and characters that have a fair few loses to their names.

In any fiction permanent irreversible and complete loss is rare aa it usually either the story ends o a sour note, the protagonist was a villain protagonist that deserves what came to him or the story radically changed direction. While these can all be refreshing and interesting they're difficult to do well without pissing off your audience. Which is why writers rely on the safe crowd pleaser of the hero almost always wins.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

One thing I always appreciated about HxH was that it often had situations where the heroes lose and lose badly at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom