• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I haven't read it myself, but it's a big title. Which is why I was wondering: was this discussed already and I simply missed it, or...?
That's the first I've even heard of it.

Viridian6

So... Did I miss something? Aren't people intrigued at all about that announcement of a Rurōni Kenshin sequel (the Hokkaidō arc the author had considered for a time before deciding to just end the series instead) starting next spring?

News to me. I'm definitely intrigued!

I kind of hope Viz picks up the nee Kenshin arc, partially because I dunno if anyone will fan translate it and partially because they need more crap in their stupid magazine.

So... Did I miss something? Aren't people intrigued at all about that announcement of a Rurōni Kenshin sequel (the Hokkaidō arc the author had considered for a time before deciding to just end the series instead) starting next spring?

Link to the announcement please? I for one am very excited if it does happen.

All my childhood manga and animes are coming back! :)

DB Super, Sailor Moon and now Kenshin. Just need Yu Yu Hakusho and it will be complete lol.

mdubs

Banned
YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...lroom-gets-back-on-the-dance-floor-next-month

lFAJ676.gif

In reviewing volume 2 it's really dawned on me how far the art in the series has come.

Arabesque

I just learnt about it lol?

I mean, I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, I gave up expecting Watsuki to ever do anything new from this point on.

On the other, more Kenshin is always great, and doing the Hokkaidō rather than another short one shot is also pretty great.

In hindsight, it should have been obvious given how much Kenshin remakes and short stories Watsuki had been doing, but I guess I'm still conflicted.

Only Kenshin arc I ever read was Shishio. Not really remotely interested.

The Shishio stuff is I think the most recognisable and memorable stuff from the series, though the flashback stuff from later on might be the more better written.

I honestly wonder what are the chances Shishio's successor showing up in the upcoming sequel. I would imagine that the plans for the arc had changed substantially over the years since the ending.

I haven't read it myself, but it's a big title. Which is why I was wondering: was this discussed already and I simply missed it, or...?

Looking back a day ago, looks like it just got lost among everything else? The Oricon Top 30 manga series and top 100 volumes came out, then the WSJ stuff got leaked discussions happened about them.

I don't think many people here care all that much about Jump SQ (outside of people who read smut) so the announcement got unnoticed. Didn't help major English news sources didn't pick up on the news either.

I kind of hope Viz picks up the new Kenshin arc, partially because I dunno if anyone will fan translate it and partially because they need more crap in their stupid magazine.

I might drop a question about it as well as the new Kenshin one shot about Shishio (they picked up the old one shot a few years back to promote the film), which I have a feeling will be ignored, but yeah. At this point, it seems like they need to just add monthlies into the magazine rather than wait for whatever new series in WSJ. The magazine is now very thin and will be thinner once the Jump Starts are over.

I'd love if they add Twin Stars as well, but that is a real shot in the dark.

I hadn't heard of it, but I choose to remain cautious when it comes to sequels like this, specially since Kenshin wrapped up things nicely.
Drill Jiru is going to do an actual Getter Robo manga in a mahjong magazine...
What the fuck

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...lroom-gets-back-on-the-dance-floor-next-month

lFAJ676.gif

In reviewing volume 2 it's really dawned on me how far the art in the series has come.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I just hope the author is fully recovered instead of just coming back then going on a hiatus again. My heart can't take that shit.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I still like reading Soma. Yes, there's a decline in the quality, and some of the match feel anticlimatic. I really hope the author could make the tournament arc more interesting.

MEDAKA BOX RULEZ and absolutely insane in the best kind of way.

New Kenshin? I'm going to temper my expectation since i don't know if its going to be good or not. Ending is perfect as it is without needing to add another arc

I might drop a question about it as well as the new Kenshin one shot about Shishio (they picked up the old one shot a few years back to promote the film), which I have a feeling will be ignored, but yeah. At this point, it seems like they need to just add monthlies into the magazine rather than wait for whatever new series in WSJ. The magazine is now very thin and will be thinner once the Jump Starts are over.

I'd love if they add Twin Stars as well, but that is a real shot in the dark.

I mean they can fill the magazine with monthly series for days but that only helps once every 4 week. I'm sure I'm not the only person hammering them with "add more weekly series the magazine is too short" every week. The fact shit in the free section of the webite isn't included in the digital magazine (or accessable from the app) is also incredibly frustrating.

Medaka box has some of the most intriguing and unique concepts/characters i've ever seen in any entertainment medium.

shit be cray cray

bobohoro

Medaxa Box went way over my head as a teenager.
Reading up on the translation hell it must have been I can see why now.
Maybe would be up for a reread with some more info on the side, since I always liked the characters and tone, but thought poorly of it at the end due to feeling lost most of the time.

Keijo 97

Loose loose, wobble wobble.
A mantra to live by.

lFAJ676.gif

Yoo great news since I just picked up the series and I love it! Volume 2 was excellent! What I like the most about this series is how much the artwork talks to the reader and how great the characters emotions show on their face. Tatara is also a great MC, his drive to go forward is amazing.

Yoo great news since I just picked up the series and I love it! Volume 2 was excellent! What I like the most about this series is how much the artwork talks to the reader and how great the characters emotions show on their face. Tatara is also a great MC, his drive to go forward is amazing.

Yeah, several motnhs ago when I discovered this series I did a post mentioning it, I read hundreds of comics but this one in particular is super expressive with the drawing, in the way that it's an integral part of the characterization and writing.

I don't mind this so much, only because Blade of the Immortal was rage inducing with its medicine arc. This is comparatively better.

Hmm, yeah, but there at least you had characters openly opposing it. (plus theres something hilarious about writing "hey, aint as bad as in the manga from the dude that did ero guro work").

Has samura produced anything worth a read since BotI, btw?

mdubs

Banned
Re: Winning and losing in Shonen manga.

I like this post. My main concern is now not only does the series have to juggle what happens to Soma (since he obviously isn't going to lose this challenge), but now they also have to juggle how Jouichiro plays into the entire thing. They need to have Soma come out looking strong (since it would be silly if dad just wipes the floor with Central and that's the end of that) but at the same time there's no way they can have Jouichiro credibly lose since hes' been built up to be literally the best chef in this universe.

My best guess, (and I think this is the way it will have to go to make any sense) is that we'll have Soma and Joichiro each dispatch one of the lower council members, while Erina jobs to Azami. Tsukasa will knock out Aldini or whoever too. So then (and this is the key part that I think has to happen) it'll probably come down to a team thing between Azami and Tsukasa vs. Soma and Joichiro. I don't think there a credible way that they can have Soma go over either Azami or Tsukasa individually, and there isn't a good way to have the stakes be realistic if Joichiro goes one on one with either of them since he is meant to be the ultimate goal for Soma to beat. So Joichiro and Soma will probably win (mostly thanks to Joichiro) and then he'll be like "you have a long way to go to beat me Soma". So that will finsih off this storyline while keeping the pecking order relatively in tact without overpowering Soma for no reason.

Edit: I also think that much like Joichiro was the true number 1 chef of his generation (even though Dojima was the #1 seat) we're going to get a reveal (after Tsukasa loses to Soma clean in some form) that Rindo is actually a much better chef but her lack of seriousness is what keeps her from really trying to push for the #1 seat. So that will set up another high-level opponent for Soma way down the line.

New Member here but I have been lurking in the thread for about the last one-hundred pages. I remembered there being a super serious* introduction that people were meant to do so here's my slant on it:

Top 5 Favourite Completed Manga/Anime Series (In No Particular Order):

• Soul Eater - A strange and twisted mess of creepiness and happiness, that for a long time stopped me from reading much past the first few chapters. Until I then watched the anime at a friend's urging. While I enjoyed the anime greatly, the ending left me a little dissatisfied, so I soldiered through and found that once it came out the gate it took itself into it's stride. With the artstyle becoming the major draw of the series along with the stand out action scenes.
  • The Breaker - My first introduction to Korean Manhwa and one of my first forays into the martial arts genre. The journey from useless welp to genius talent, is nothing new but I loved how it was shown in this via the numerous character interactions. And they quickly became one of the two main reasons I read it, the second being the well developed and fleshed out martial arts system that seemed to contain the whole of The Breaker's story.
  • Deadman Wonderland - Gore, blood, loss and suffering. My four favourite horsemen of the apocalypse, something this manga had in spades. One of the few manga I've read where I care about most (if not all) the characters introduced throughout the story. Their past and their development has drawn me back to re-read it at least three times.
  • Hellsing - My favourite piece of vampire lore, and while the story and plot may be a mere mechanism for the power fantasy that is Alucard, Hellsing is the manga I had re-read the most out of all others. I also personally own the whole Hellsing - Ultimate collection on Blu-ray.
  • Full Metal Alchemist - Full Metal Alchemist was sort of my second gateway series that fully immersed me in the world of manga and anime (the first being naruto when it used to run on fox kids or toonami.. I forget which one..). I don't really have much to say for this anime/manga as the series speaks for itself with it's fleshed out world, that truly feels alive, with the characters and their emotions/motivations often if not always being full explored as the series progressed. Also what an end battle!

Top 5 Favourite Ongoing Manga/Anime Series (In No Particular Order):

• Pumpkin Scissors - This just ticks so many of the right boxes for me, unhinged lead character? Check! Military themed? Check! Opposites attract love story? Check! One-man curb-stomp battles? In spades! I mean then there's the art.
  • Kings Avatar - The art in this is so/so and the story is just a different spin on the same old horse, but hey I've read over 500 chapters of it's light novel for a reason right?
  • My Hero Academy - Not much to say here, it's quickly replaced the hole in my shounen heart, filling all the needs for a good strong shounen story. Really hoping that this next arc really cements the development of Bakagou and Deku taking it away from being able to be labeled as anything more than a Sasuke and Naruto rivalry.
  • Tokyo Ghoul/Tokyo Ghoul Re: - Boy did I love the original Tokyo Ghoul series. I loved everything, the art, the characters, their relationships, the fights and even all the little clues and theorycrafting that came along with it all. Re; while it did start off slow we have recently delved back deep into it all with a lot of the old threads being cast away with new one being left in their place. I am just hoping that this series ends satisfyingly as I fear that it could still go both ways.
  • Kingdom - While a lot of people here have expressed their distaste for the Kingdom art style, I must say I feel it does a brilliant job of conveying the scale and theater of the wars that occurred in the warring states period, even if it is quite an ugly and inelegant style. The mangaka has a certain terrific skill for facial expressions and hyping up battles, can't wait to see how this next campaign goes!! Go Hi Shin Unit!!!

*not serious at all..

So with that done, there's my introduction and please never expect me to type out this much at once ever again!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tsukasa ain't doing the job clean to Soma.

I doubt Tsukasa is even going to be in it. They only need to have 4 members show up, and there's no way Rindou is going to be one of them.

somedevil

Tsukasa ain't doing the job clean to Soma.

I doubt Tsukasa is even going to be in it. They only need to have 4 members show up, and there's no way Rindou is going to be one of them.

Doesn't Soma team also have the former 3, 7 and 8 seat on there side? So they could do 7 against 7 if they want.

Eizan is not used due to him losing before and Kuga still wants to face Tsukasa.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm reading that and it's so damn weird and dark. Pretty interesting too.

Die Wergelder is, uh, Samura as hell, but the Chinese assassin who dropped in at the beach and obliterated everyone was very, very cool.

upandaway

New Member here but I have been lurking in the thread for about the last one-hundred pages. I remembered there being a super serious* introduction that people were meant to do so here's my slant on it:
Heyyy welcome, I haven't read a lot of those manga but MHA sure is great.

dramatis

*not serious at all..

So with that done, there's my introduction and please never expect me to type out this much at once ever again!
Welcome fellow manga consumer

If you've lurked that long, then you should know whose recs you need to avoid without anybody saying who.

You like My Hero Academia, you count as a good guy in my book!

• Soul Eater - A strange and twisted mess of creepiness and happiness, that for a long time stopped me from reading much past the first few chapters. Until I then watched the anime at a friend's urging. While I enjoyed the anime greatly, the ending left me a little dissatisfied, so I soldiered through and found that once it came out the gate it took itself into it's stride. With the artstyle becoming the major draw of the series along with the stand out action scenes.
  • The Breaker - My first introduction to Korean Manhwa and one of my first forays into the martial arts genre. The journey from useless welp to genius talent, is nothing new but I loved how it was shown in this via the numerous character interactions. And they quickly became one of the two main reasons I read it, the second being the well developed and fleshed out martial arts system that seemed to contain the whole of The Breaker's story.
  • Deadman Wonderland - Gore, blood, loss and suffering. My four favourite horsemen of the apocalypse, something this manga had in spades. One of the few manga I've read where I care about most (if not all) the characters introduced throughout the story. Their past and their development has drawn me back to re-read it at least three times.
  • Hellsing - My favourite piece of vampire lore, and while the story and plot may be a mere mechanism for the power fantasy that is Alucard, Hellsing is the manga I had re-read the most out of all others. I also personally own the whole Hellsing - Ultimate collection on Blu-ray.
  • Full Metal Alchemist - Full Metal Alchemist was sort of my second gateway series that fully immersed me in the world of manga and anime (the first being naruto when it used to run on fox kids or toonami.. I forget which one..). I don't really have much to say for this anime/manga as the series speaks for itself with it's fleshed out world, that truly feels alive, with the characters and their emotions/motivations often if not always being full explored as the series progressed. Also what an end battle!

• Pumpkin Scissors - This just ticks so many of the right boxes for me, unhinged lead character? Check! Military themed? Check! Opposites attract love story? Check! One-man curb-stomp battles? In spades! I mean then there's the art.
  • Kings Avatar - The art in this is so/so and the story is just a different spin on the same old horse, but hey I've read over 500 chapters of it's light novel for a reason right?
  • My Hero Academy - Not much to say here, it's quickly replaced the hole in my shounen heart, filling all the needs for a good strong shounen story. Really hoping that this next arc really cements the development of Bakagou and Deku taking it away from being able to be labeled as anything more than a Sasuke and Naruto rivalry.
  • Tokyo Ghoul/Tokyo Ghoul Re: - Boy did I love the original Tokyo Ghoul series. I loved everything, the art, the characters, their relationships, the fights and even all the little clues and theorycrafting that came along with it all. Re; while it did start off slow we have recently delved back deep into it all with a lot of the old threads being cast away with new one being left in their place. I am just hoping that this series ends satisfyingly as I fear that it could still go both ways.
  • Kingdom - While a lot of people here have expressed their distaste for the Kingdom art style, I must say I feel it does a brilliant job of conveying the scale and theater of the wars that occurred in the warring states period, even if it is quite an ugly and inelegant style. The mangaka has a certain terrific skill for facial expressions and hyping up battles, can't wait to see how this next campaign goes!! Go Hi Shin Unit!!!

*not serious at all..

Please read BLack Clover, World Trigger, Spiral the Bonds of Reasoning and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, new poster.

Foolish mortal, you know not what you have stepped into. Let the judging commence!

Soul Eater
Cool
The Breaker
Man, they really fucked up New Waves. Breaker was pretty baller tho.
Deadman Wonderland
Cool
Hellsing? More like...Hell Yeah. Ugh...I...I'll go...
Full Metal Alchemist
Cool
Pumpkin Scissors
You know, I always meant to read this but dunno why I never did. I thought it was older tho.
Kings Avatar
I have not heard of this so I'll just pretend you said Popcorn Avatar and call it a day.
My Hero Academy
Yas queen
taking it away from being able to be labeled as anything more than a Sasuke and Naruto rivalry.
lolololololol Love you already
Tokyo Ghoul/Tokyo Ghoul Re:
Well, TG was good so this is a pass. Re: is...problematic.
Well, I've never read it but from what I heard about people in this thread and enjoying it as well as seeing pages of the art I can only assume you're a paid for Chinese propaganda machine and we have a strict "no nationalistic robots bent on infiltrating our thread for the glorious motherland/Zweizers" policy in place, so sorry, your application for MangaGAF Inclusion will have to be denied.

@Everyone

Thank you for the warm welcome!

@Dramatis

Sadly I think I might be a member of team Zweizer...

@DTL & @FlowerIsBritish

I read both Black Clover and World Trigger, I do enjoy both quite a bit. Black Clover for it's mindless Shounen nonsense and World Trigger for all it's depth and tactics. Might have to check out Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, as it is done by the same group of authors as XXXHolic, which I did enjoy.

@Oni

I did still enjoy New Waves..... just less so.. Shioon's development was so odd and broken compared to The Breaker.. I mean his power and skills developed properly and followed the same sort or progression but his actual character development just sort of... died.

Pumpkin Scissors has 125 chapters as of last month with only the first 46 being translated into english. I sadly can't read Japanese very well but I have managed to gather the plot and details from the Raws I've gotten ahold of. Suffice to say these 46 translated chapters are only a prelude to the unholy world of body horrors that the manga develops into
Randel (Main male protag) manages to burn off most of his skin, get his leg amputated above the ankle (then using his giant shears as a makeshift pegleg) before taking on a tank, they then detonate a claymore mine into his abdomen...I'd advise you if you do read it to look into the raws once you get that far I doubt you'll be disappointed (Chapter 111 is especially brutal).

King's Avatar otherwise know as Quan Zhi Gao Shou was a Chinese light novel that is based around the retirement of the pro gamer Ye Qui and his then eventually rise back to the top of 'Glory' (the Pro game he plays). It currently has like 20 mini chapters out and is having an anime made by the owners of League Of Legends, slated for release next year and boy does it look super pretty. Go look it up on youtube.

If I rated Tokyo Ghoul a 9.. Re: would be like a 6/7 overall, but the last arc I feel has redeemed itself quite handsomely. Though I would happily discuss this at further length with you in another post.

Kingdom... well what can I say... you got me!

Zweizer

Banned
Welcome, glad that we're on the same wavelength~

Well, I've never read it but from what I heard about people in this thread and enjoying it as well as seeing pages of the art I can only assume you're a paid for Chinese propaganda machine and we have a strict "no nationalistic robots bent on infiltrating our thread for the glorious motherland/Zweizers" policy in place, so sorry, your application for MangaGAF Inclusion will have to be denied.

Gee. Resistance is futile anyways!

Sadly I think I might be a member of team Zweizer...

See?

*not serious at all..

Well some members might be upset by this :trollface

Seriously though welcome and enjoy, also don't fear Zweizer as he's just a man.

Fwiw, Breaker has that odd bit where people that liked the first part generally disliked New Waves, and people that weren't captivated by the first part usually liked the second bit quite a lot.

I'm the latter. Had to suffer through the first bit and immensely enjoyed the second. Plus obligatory look at that plot.
-

Also New Guy, how much do you think One Piece is worse than back in the day nowadays? A little? A lot?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Fwiw, Breaker has that odd bit where people that liked the first part generally disliked New Waves, and people that weren't captivated by the first part usually liked the second bit quite a lot.

I'm the latter. Had to suffer through the first bit and immensely enjoyed the second. Plus obligatory look at that plot.

Personally, I've always thought Breaker's was kind of garbage but I'm in the latter camp too. The emotional moments were all way stronger in the second half for me. Too bad its a slog to get there. Speaking of Breaker, is there any word on that third part?

Vanilla Breaker had an actual plotline and character development. It wasn't the most original story but it had a course.

New Waves is several years worth of Shi Woon flopping around blue balling readers doing jack shit until the very end where it gets good and finds a point for the bullshit plot only for the series to go on a hiatus that might as well be permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom