• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

The Other Side of Secret Vol. 1

This is a thing. I just kind of bought this series one a whim since it was pretty short and I didn't want to just order one volume of Punpun, plus it was only 4 volumes lol. It's off to a slightly interesting start, I actually expected it to be more isekai like based on the summary, but it's more like a shift from a normal world to something like the dark hour from P3. The monsters and such are a lot more detailed and grotesque looking than you'd expect looking at the art style for the main characters. The other world kind of reminds e of Saya no Uta. Also, something about the black background for the cover absolutely makes this look like some sort of hentai lol.

91l4lZrz-HL.__BG0,0,0,0_FMpng_AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Not surprsing though, considering this is the same guy who did Kagatsu na Yatsura. I do find it kind of strange though, but I've noticed that quite a few artists who do ecchi/hentai also seem to be pretty good at making really fucked up or grotesque monsters too...

Zweizer

Banned
Horimiya ch81

Such a sweet couple.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch30.1

Guess the world would be a better place if everyone streaked once in a while.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 30.1 Omake

While not directly stated, I believe these are Yuki parents.

Yep, good catch.

Boogiepop

So, here's a question: I'm starting to finally take the plunge into Gundam, and that got me wondering... are any of the manga/novel series actually worthwhile? Well, outside of The Origin that is, as I already have that (though I have yet to read it).

Also, man, I think I'm on the verge of going kind of elitist, as I'm considering just going full import for whenever I pick up a manga series from now on. After years of picking up a mass of English manga, a few years back my confidence level in my Japanese hit a point where I was like "okay, I'll import unlicensed series". Then I appended that to include series that have any degree of price jacking due to OOP volumes. But now I'm thinking... I'm at a point where reading Japanese isn't even an impediment (used to be slower as I had to stop and look up plenty of vocab as I went), so it's like... why deal with the occassional bits that just plain don't translate well, or the poor official translations that pop up now and again, when I can just have the original text directly, not needing to be filtered through a translation?

Usobuko

Banned
The Usagi Drop author has a work where you have 2 adults engaging voyeurism and fall in love, have sex once before they ghost each other iirc.

So yeah, I'm not surprised she pulled the Usagi Drop ending. Tbh, this kind of unpredictability / unconventional approach does have some appeal to it.

DNAbro

Kakegurui Ch 10-43

Had to read it cause I couldn't wait for the anime any longer. Love me some crazy people gambling their lives away.

The level of gambling that I would be comfortable with
ZUR5xvU.png

versus

OEc7GfK.png

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 260

Of course a wildly missed slap to Kate would still somehow connect with Kiyoshi's face.

Horimiya ch. 81

"I like his fingers."

absolute filth

Lain

This is a thing. I just kind of bought this series one a whim since it was pretty short and I didn't want to just order one volume of Punpun, plus it was only 4 volumes lol. It's off to a slightly interesting start, I actually expected it to be more isekai like based on the summary, but it's more like a shift from a normal world to something like the dark hour from P3. The monsters and such are a lot more detailed and grotesque looking than you'd expect looking at the art style for the main characters. The other world kind of reminds e of Saya no Uta. Also, something about the black background for the cover absolutely makes this look like some sort of hentai lol.

Not surprsing though, considering this is the same guy who did Kagatsu na Yatsura. I do find it kind of strange though, but I've noticed that quite a few artists who do ecchi/hentai also seem to be pretty good at making really fucked up or grotesque monsters too...

I finished reading the fourth volume of this not too long. The premise seemed interesting but I felt like, at the end of it all, it was more a waste of time than a worthwhile journey. Too short to expand on all the stuff presented while relaying on too many cliché to keep things going.
I also didn't know it was only 4 volumes long, so when volume 4 rolled around and the story ended there I had a wtf moment.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch260

Nooo Chairman!!

Oh, and poor Kiyoshi I guess.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch52

Shame Otohime didn't get to have a proper fight. I'm guessing Osanada will clear house next.

What is that abomination against nature on that cover?

What is that abomination against nature on that cover?

It actually seems even weirder after reading the book, because the character's anatomy doesn't look nearly as absurd in the rest of it. Actually, just judging by the other volumes, the color illustrations seem to be a bit more poorly done compared to the rest of the artwork.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tzurezure Children

I mean, Chiaki is such a douche here...but goddamn if I can't relate to it. I was a thirsty as fuck 17 year old at one point too.
KuGsj.gif

The fact he asked her to leave after she said she couldn't have sex was pretty bad though, even though I will admit I laughed. And then the damn period comment; this dude is fucking clueless as hell, lol.

horimiya 81

Miyamura's fingers, huh? How lewd.

Mousou Telepathy 398 - 405

Maybe during the school festival one of them will actually say something to the other.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 71.5: The Inosuke Tales
I didn't know I needed a story about how Inosuke learned to read/speak but it turns out I did. Seeing kid inosuke with the boar's mask is just too funny to me, especially when he is with the grandpa. "I am king of the mountains".

Kimetsu no Yaiba 72
This arc has started off really strong. The combination of Inoskue not being allowed to be himself, Tanjiro's terrible poker face, and Zentisu trying to be the greatest red light district girl to get revenge on Uzui is amazing.

Astra 35-37
Solid chapters. Glad Pauline is getting to be more of a character. Cloned earth!

It's definitely because the veteran guy (I forget which one) is hiding an injury (or rather, hiding that an old injury hasn't fully healed) and so he's gonna either start fucking up or he'll have to withdraw on the back 9. Thus, his score will have to be the one that gets dropped and Robo's score will count.

Hmm, I'd be alright if this is how it goes down. Though it would have been better to clearly establish the injury first/it being the reason for Robo's score to count since the execution here was kind of confusing and felt like a shoehorned in thing to get Robo score to matter more (even though the whole score 70 to make the training camp should be enough).

Chase17

Jump ToC Issue 36/37
One Piece (cover) Popularity Poll Results (80,000 votes)
The Promised Neverland
My Hero Academia
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyu
Dr. Stone ※ Color
We Never Learn
Hinomaru Zumou
Seishounen Yuugai Kankyou Kiseihou (One Shot) ※ Color
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Robot x Laserbeam
Hunter×Hunter
Tensei-ki -Hakusai- (One Shot)
Black Clover ※ Color
Shudan!
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Spring Weapon No. 1
Gintama
Cross Account
Hungry Marie
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Issue 38:
Cover, Lead CP: Promised Neverland
Color pages: Haikyu, Boruto, We Never Learn

Astra talk/questions
So the whole no earth thing was hinted at earlier right. I don't remember Pauline's first chapters too well, but she said something about trying to save it right?
They made a point to highlight the different tech/suits as well. Wonder if she was asleep longer than we thought. Though I guess having the same exact ship might disprove that.

Astra

I dunno what to make of the planet Astra vs Earth twist. I think there is a good chance Astra and Earth are the same planet, in Charce's back story we learned of a 2 year war that rocked the world and had countries and such realigned. Perhaps the new ruling nations decided to rename the planet based upon their victory in the war.

Clearly the answer ties into Lina's back story that she hasn't revealed. Could her mission have been to find something that would have stopped the above mentioned war? The only thing out of place is Lina herself and her memories of "Earth". Heck perhaps the whole anti-clone thing might even tie into what sparked the war in the first place. Maybe the 2 year war was the end of Earth and Astra is a clone of Earth and the reason clone research is banned is to hide the truth?

It's really hard to say for sure where this is going, I don't think anyone has ever speculated that Earth wasn't Earth I think we all assumed it was just alternative history Earth.

mdubs

Banned
Hungry Marie is deader than dead, rip.

We Never Learn seems to be safe though with a couple weeks of fairly high positions

The latest chapters of Dr. Stone have been so damn good, I'm loving this series now that Taiju is out of the picture. Senku's science adventures are great, he's such a fun character and you can see the Hiruma in him from time to time.

Robot x Laserbeam continues to be hot trash by sports series standards

Lain

The few yaoi or shonenai manga I've read so far were nice, and that made me go and buy the first two volumes of Super Lovers because... it was supposed to be good?
What I got wasn't what I was expecting and I really wouldn't recommend this to most people.

A.J.

Banned
Astra

I dunno what to make of the planet Astra vs Earth twist. I think there is a good chance Astra and Earth are the same planet, in Charce's back story we learned of a 2 year war that rocked the world and had countries and such realigned. Perhaps the new ruling nations decided to rename the planet based upon their victory in the war.

Clearly the answer ties into Lina's back story that she hasn't revealed. Could her mission have been to find something that would have stopped the above mentioned war? The only thing out of place is Lina herself and her memories of "Earth". Heck perhaps the whole anti-clone thing might even tie into what sparked the war in the first place. Maybe the 2 year war was the end of Earth and Astra is a clone of Earth and the reason clone research is banned is to hide the truth?

It's really hard to say for sure where this is going, I don't think anyone has ever speculated that Earth wasn't Earth I think we all assumed it was just alternative history Earth.

Well looking back in earlier chapters they never said the name of the planet that they were heading towards Though it is weird when they name the ship, a few of them were confused on what Astra as a word stood for. Like how Earth stands for rocks and stuff. You'd think you would know that as a resident of the planet.

DNAbro

The few yaoi or shonenai manga I've read so far were nice, and that made me go and buy the first two volumes of Super Lovers because... it was supposed to be good?
What I got wasn't what I was expecting and I really wouldn't recommend this to most people.

oh fuck no Super Lovers is awful. Watch a guy try not to prey on his adopted younger brother and everyone around him being okay with that. But it's okay cause he loves him too or some shit.

Hmm, I'd be alright if this is how it goes down. Though it would have been better to clearly establish the injury first/it being the reason for Robo's score to count since the execution here was kind of confusing and felt like a shoehorned in thing to get Robo score to matter more (even though the whole score 70 to make the training camp should be enough).

The series has a sort of omnipresent third person viewpoint but it's typically giving the reader only Robo's point of view. In that light it makes more sense. No senior is going to tell the rookie anything. And they haven't technically revealed the injury at all. I think they'll probably summarize it in the next chapter.

Lain

First hand knowledge will surely help me in the future. Yeah yeah.

Now to talk about something good instead...
I started reading Dosei Jidai by Kazuo Kamimura, same author of Itezuru (which I think I wrote about) and artist of Lady Snowblood among many other works.

I've only read a couple chapters so far (each volume is massive) but it is already good/interesting stuff (though not as good as he start of Itezuru).
It's a story about a young guy (Jiro, 23 years old, freelance illustrator) and a young girl (Kyoko, 21 years old, graphic designer for an advertising agency) living together without being married. Each chapter is self contained, showing a bit of their life.
The chapters start out simple but then there is something always a bit... fucked up and a bit more deep.

One of the things I appreciate most about this and other works by Kamimura is definitely the art. It's really clean, it's able to convey a lot even while maintaining a pretty simple style and it makes everything rather easy to follow.

new game 51

Looks like everyone will be working with the company. Though a programming internship like that after only one year of school is something I could only dream of.

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 16-17

Haven't we gone over the whole 'blindly doing whatever Hayakawa says' thing before? Specifically how you should always do it. Mako's appearance was a welcome sight, she's established herself as a permanent fixture of the cast at this point. Though I have to wonder what happens to the the subdued spirits that end up in her body.

Zweizer

Banned
Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch36

War never changes. They should have invited Braveman.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. ch8

Code:
[img]https://s4.postimg.org/4z03lqpq5/ahegao.jpg[/img]

So ahegaos are the secret to a pretty face. No wonder people in h-manga are all so fit.

Kingdom ch526

Guess the right wing is going to be on stalemate for a while longer. At least Shin is joining the fray now.

Hakoiri Drops ch34

Gonna be a fun beach episode.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch21

Kind of a convenient and overdone resolution. Oh well.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch35

The heroes still ain't shit.

What, its one of my favorite series :( (though Id want Ren with his classmate, and Aki with Haru, and Ikuyoshi with Haru).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Golden Kamuy 106
I miss asirpa and friends killing random stuff and eating it. It's not a bad arc by any mean,but crazy ass robber can't hold a candle against guy who skin dead peoples and wear their skin as a fashion statement.

Chio-chan no tsugakuro omake
Definitely Yuki's parent. With that kind of parent, no wonder Yuki got a bit of a loose screw.

Youkai shojo monsuga latest

As far as battle harem goes, it's not that bad. I still can't take Junk weapon seriously since it look so retro

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Golden Kamuy ch. 106

That sword to the cheek looked pretty gnarly, then one page later and you're treated to his fingers getting shredded by buckshot. Ain't a good day for this dude. Good lord.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Everyone got a power up via training montage.

And LOL @ the teacher not only agreeing to hook up with the student but also agreeing to marry him.

I just read a chapter where the restaurant advertised their shitter as a toilet that's a portal to hell. Also both the main characters and the enemy side kill multiple people on a whim every chapter. Who am I rooting for here?

What the fuck.

Goodnight Punpun 24-46

God dayum, I had to actually put the book down and walk away a few times during Yuichi's flashback. And then the final page of chapter 46... fuck.

I won't be buying any more manga for a few months, at least until TLR releases. I'll probably get the next volume or two of this along with those, so I'll have something to go to between the inevitable soul crushing parts that are sure to come.

Chase17

The new Rurouni Kenshin arc starts September 4th. Wonder if Viz will simulpub it. Might be time to go through the original series.

Arabesque

The new Rurouni Kenshin arc starts September 4th. Wonder if Viz will simulpub it. Might be time to go through the original series.

That's a Monday, so we should know by August 28th if they will or not.

My money is 99% them picking it up on the Sep 4 issue. It makes too much sense and they had basically ran every Rurouni Kenshin thing in the last decade, and they had been gushing about every chance they get on the podcast (I think the staff in general are just huge Kenshin fans). Also listening to that podcast they did about Ashitaro's special made it seem like they were in for the Hokkaido arc.

Plus Kenshin is actually a safer pick than whatever WSJ Jump Start they have at the time. Unless they pull a stupid move and make it also a Jump Start.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's good to have a solid release date on it. I'm actually pretty hyped. From how the epilogue chapters at the end of Kenshin went, it's pretty clear the writer knows exactly what direction the series needs to take going forward.

remz

Goodnight Punpun 24-46

God dayum, I had to actually put the book down and walk away a few times during Yuichi's flashback. And then the final page of chapter 46... fuck.

I won't be buying any more manga for a few months, at least until TLR releases. I'll probably get the next volume or two of this along with those, so I'll have something to go to between the inevitable soul crushing parts that are sure to come.

Yeah Yuuichi's flashback really kicked me in the fucken guts second time I read it. To be honest, going into my re read with the english release I kind of forgot the whole thing happened, so it was extra shocking to me for some reason. The scene in the apartment really got to me.

Arabesque

Watsuki's ideas form 18 years ago might not be the same as his ideas now.Though the Ashitaro special gives me an idea he's probably going to be focusing a lot on the themes and fallout from the Kyoto arc, since it's what he had been focusing so much on it.

Top Bottom