• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

zroid

Banned
I am completely hooked on "In/Spectre". It's really interesting and often quite funny. Best manga I've read about yokai/spirits/etc. since xxxholic.

upandaway

Yuyushiki 4

Doing splatfests before they were cool

0zYAtFN.png

Zweizer

Banned
New Game! ch53-54

The new juniors are fitting in well. Aoba is eager to welcome them for sure.

Bright and Cheery Amnesia ch10

Arisa's greatest power must be her lack of embarrassment towards pretty much anything. Guess amnesia is not all bad.

Tejina Senpai ch55

Poor assistant's vision of Chinese magic would probably have been better.

Aho Girl ch79.5-80

It's hard to pinpoint whether Yoshiko can be useful or not.

I can see it getting some use.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch603

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Spotter Flower ch21

What. The. Hell.

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this thread. I need your advices.

So far I've only fully read Berserk and Vagabond and am now looking for something new.
According to recommendations and myanimelist's top Manga I narrowed it down to the following 3:

20th Century Boys
Blame!
Goodnight Punpun

Which of those would you suggest reading next and why?

I also tried getting into One Piece and read until when
Luffy picks up Name and fights the Clown Pirate (I forgot his name). I know it's not super far, but up to this point it felt like a drag. Both Berserk and Vagabond caught me right after just reading a couple pages. Basically everywhere you only hear praise about this series and so I was wondering if it catches up or basically stays pretty much the same.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

So far I've only fully read Berserk and Vagabond and am now looking for something new.
According to recommendations and myanimelist's top Manga I narrowed it down to the following 3:

20th Century Boys
Blame!
Goodnight Punpun

Luffy picks up Name and fights the Clown Pirate (I forgot his name). I know it's not super far, but up to this point it felt like a drag. Both Berserk and Vagabond caught me right after just reading a couple pages. Basically everywhere you only hear praise about this series and so I was wondering if it catches up or basically stays pretty much the same.

One Piece doesn't become One Piece until Arlong Park, you're a few arcs and characters away from that point. It's pretty much where Oda figures out exactly how to use the narrative structure he's set up in the best way possible. Everything from that point on is on an upward trajectory in quality.

Zweizer

Banned
I'd say read Blame! first as it's shorter and faster to read, then Punpun. Both are rather atypical manga however, especially in their presentation, so keep it in mind if you get confused or lost. Both are absolutely great still.

As for One Piece, the most common recommendation is to stick with it at least up to the end of the Arlong Park arc.

Chase17

I would recommend trying to read through the Arlong Park arc (which is chapters 68-95). If you don't like that arc then I would say it's safe to say that it is not your thing.

However, I can see getting there may be a bit of an ask to get to for something that you are not enjoying. Even the next arc is a big jump up from orange town (which is what you just finished) and introduces one of the best characters in a series. So I would at least try that out.

20th Century Boys
Blame!
Goodnight Punpun

Blame then PunPun. While 20th is still a pretty good manga, its third act is quite a let down for most readers. Just know that all three of these mangas are quite different compared to Berserk and Vagabond.

Moaradin

Dr. Stone 22

This manga was starting to lose me a little bit, but I've been fully on board ever since they split up and completely focused on Senku. I'm kinda hoping it doesn't take the focus off Senku to show what the other characters are doing tbh.

Also the faces in this manga are amazing.

upandaway

20th Century Boys
Blame!
Goodnight Punpun

I didn't read those 3 so I don't know but you should try Vinland Saga

Thanks for you guyses input. I'm gonna keep on reading One Piece a little longer. I like the theme and the fact, that there's tons of chapters (If I get invested I usually want as much content as possible).

I read somewhere that Blame! gives a similar vibe as Dark Souls (my favorite game series out there) with its theme of solitude and many unanswered questions/ blanks in the story that have to be filled out by my own imagination.

About Vinland Saga... it might sound a little stupid, but I don't like the main character's(?) look. When skimming through the first volume, I kept on thinking that I could also just reread Berserk.

Zweizer

Banned
Black Lily and White Lily ch4

Yeah, they really need to talk out their issues.

It's the best place to get couples' counseling though!

Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan ch25

So much for all his efforts.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch604

pls don't bully

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch105

Oh so that guy is the same. Pretty hypocritical of him to accuse Junk then.

iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - U149 17

Yeah, pressuring Chie until she overloads seems like a pretty effective team building exercise. I know that's obviously not his intention + she'll eventually rise to the challenge + that everything will turn out fine, but still, Momoka would've been a safer pick. And a better one generally.

Magoka - Magia Record Reports 39-42

That's a pretty remarkable form of denial from Mami. I'd like to finish my homework before the 22 August release date if possible, but then it's not like I'll be playing it anyway.

Also I sincerely hope at some point you can order a Homura burger without glasses. Preferably with a side order of wings.

Tejina Senpai 55

While I'm not exactly opposed to the eventual outcome, I agree with Zweizer that assistant-kun's initial interpretation of Chinese magic had more potential.

Black Lily and White Lily 4

Making that initial declaration to Lily and then refusing her skinship makes you the absolute worst. And I mean the actual worst, not the 'you're the worst' a tsundere heroine calls you when you walk in on her while she's changing. The irritating power that cute animals have over people is on full display yet again. Hell, even my batshit waifu isn't immune.

Heroines Game (RAW)
I need to get into the habit of clicking more pixiv comic links when they catch my eye. As far as my limited comprehension goes, this is a battle royale between fairy tale heroines who're searching for their 'happy ending'. I'm assuming the lead tag team is Alice + Little Red Riding Hood. The premise, characters and art are all music to my eyes, meaning I'm exceptionally glad I discovered its existence so I can spend the next ___ years moping about it never getting translated.

Droplet

About Vinland Saga... it might sound a little stupid, but I don't like the main character's(?) look. When skimming through the first volume, I kept on thinking that I could also just reread Berserk.

If the main character's look is your only gripe, then you just need to read a few more volumes.

20th Century Boys
Blame!
Goodnight Punpun

Lol if you think One Piece dragged you should remove 20th Century Boys from you list right now

3AM Dangerous Zone

A 3-volume office SoL/romance josei. Which said that way, it doesn't sound very original in the josei world but execution is what matters, and it's good here.

Our protagonist Momoko starts her first job as a illustrator at design shop for Pachinko. She discovers the realities of the office world. She struggles with the job, which isn't what she truly hoped for, as she imagined a more glamorous, artistic career, and not doing designs for shitty marketing of Pachinko.

The approach is very realistic. In fact I even thought the story was too mundane at first, as it was so similar to experiences most people had in their lives; though after a while you appreciate it.
Working too much overtime, with the hopes it will be recognized (hint: it won't), thoughts of leaving the job that never materialize, the pressure of the bosses, but also the pride of your work even if at the beginning you thought it was worthless, having good times with the coworkers as the good point in an otherwise forgettable company, it's all well captured.

Once it's all established, it's when (slowly) the romantic elements are introduced. And that's a great choice of how to do it, it makes it not feel just another romance manga. First it looks like just another look at the live of the protagonist from another perspective, and it ties with her job too, and how she is too busy and her relationship is going nowhere, and only bit a bit it turns out to be the main plot of the story, and by the time it's that way, you are already sold in Momoko as main character and are really interested.

Of course the end isn't
exactly surprising, but predictable.
We the audience see how the old guy was being hesitant in starting a relationship with Momoko, so it isn't very possible for him trying to hit on the girl while being married, he was saying the truth when he said he wasn't still divorced by he was already separated.

Once you reach that point, it's only a matter of time to clear up the misunderstanding and they get together, so some of the last chapters can make you roll your eyes a bit, you know what is going to happen.

I liked the art, it was identifiable as josei but a bit more stylish and clean than usual.

Monster Musume 54

It's like Godzilla, except with slimes. Or Pacific Rim, except with slimes. Or Clash of the Titans, except with slimes. Or The Return of Godzilla, except with slimes. Or Godzilla vs Mothra, except with slimes. Or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, except with slimes. Or Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, except with slimes. Or etc.

Zweizer

Banned
Monster Musume ch54

It turned into quite a big conundrum. Thankfully, Lala is here to save the day (again).

A Kiss and a White Lily ch34

Being able to let go is also love, though in this case it wasn't necessary.

Drifters ch67

I guess things couldn't have gone too smoothly for them.

zroid

Banned
I might have said this before, but Interviews with Monster Girls is excellent. The monster girl trope is way overdone but this particular manga takes a very different approach from most of the others and is actually, y'know, good.

Boogiepop

Huh, watched the first episode of Keijo with friends last night for the first time to chuckle at, and the mix of real sports manga-ness with the dumb premise seems like it may work for me. Like, taking stuff I've seen in Hajime no Ippo... but then executing it with a butt? That's a hell of a thing. Think I'll be on board for watching the rest of the anime, may even go crazy and go for the import on the manga. Did it hold up through to the end, or no?

Edit: Like, I was actually kind of impressed at how much it played up the sports manga craziness and special moves and stuff versus blatant and hefty fanservice like I was kind of expecting. Like, obviously I wouldn't say it's absent, but the balance was much better than I expected going in.

DNAbro

Huh, watched the first episode of Keijo with friends last night for the first time to chuckle at, and the mix of real sports manga-ness with the dumb premise seems like it may work for me. Like, taking stuff I've seen in Hajime no Ippo... but then executing it with a butt? That's a hell of a thing. Think I'll be on board for watching the rest of the anime, may even go crazy and go for the import on the manga. Did it hold up through to the end, or no?

Edit: Like, I was actually kind of impressed at how much it played up the sports manga craziness and special moves and stuff versus blatant and hefty fanservice like I was kind of expecting. Like, obviously I wouldn't say it's absent, but the balance was much better than I expected going in.

Keijo is great because it takes it's absolutely dumb premise 100% seriously and becomes an amazing and hilarious sports/battle show that constantly tops itself.

barber

You love that picture. Keijo ending is going to be a crime for humanity :( Well, at least smaller Spain is really into it so we might see some nice stuff there xD
So, I have some free time before holiday ends. Any good not totally known shonen / seinen manga that is finished? I really don't want to add more stuff to my wait for it to end and cry because it is not being translated.

Freesia

One of the better short, mature manga I've read. I came in expecting to find a Battle Royale type of story but it effectively gives a feel of an anthology but with a natural flow tied to the central characters. I honestly think the strongest point of the manga is its well drawn-out world. I also like that they didn't bother to cop out and do a big flashback storyline that will eventually end up the manga as these things usually do, and I'm glad it ended the way it did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly don't get why you guys are so obsessed with the fluffiest yuri you can find. It's more often than not romanticized and vapid fluff aimed at horny men in a country where actual gay people are oppressed as hell and justified on the theory that young homosexuality is some kind of phase.

It's the same reason I was pissed off at the plot twist in Fuuka where Mikasa turned out to be straight - the idea that you just "grow out" of being gay and return to heteronormative conforming values seems completely off to me.

I honestly don't get why you guys are so obsessed with the fluffiest yuri you can find. It's more often than not romanticized and vapid fluff aimed at horny men in a country where actual gay people are oppressed as hell and justified on the theory that young homosexuality is some kind of phase.

It's the same reason I was pissed off at the plot twist in Fuuka where Mikasa turned out to be straight - the idea that you just "grow out" of being gay and return to heteronormative values seems completely off to me.

Gay women being exploited by horny otakus? That's silly.

Tomo-chan ch.602-604
Don't play with his heart like that, Misuzu...or do, actually.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch.37
Denial only takes you so far when dealing with the princess. Surprised she went as long as she did before realizing the harsh truth.

Devilman vs. Hades ch.16
So during the time prior to this fight, Kouji made some last minute adjustments to Great Mazinger so its power would have a chance of standing up to Devilman. What kind of adjustments? Amplifying the shit out of its abilities so that something like a single Thunder Break creates a stupidly huge crater stretching down into the abyss.

Also that Jinmen fight from the first volume I realize was now a good example of forward thinking by this manga, because after absorbing its power Devilman now has the excuse to fight Great Mazinger at a similar size.

Though after that Thunder Break, I'm curious where the battle went. Please let it be hell.

Goblin Is Very Strong - 7

Nerfed Goblin might be in a bit of trouble.

Iinazuke Kyoutei - 42.5

A separate date with each girl? Well, I mean he has to make a choice eventually. These group outings are kinda just hanging out.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Downfall ch. 6

It's hard not to worry about Asano while reading this. Really hope he ain't out here throwing things at his assistants, at least. My goodness.

Lain

Mildred by ShindoL

Finally a worthwhile Dark Souls donjon. A bit bloody, but who doesn't like some blood to go with their Dark Souls.

She Gets Girls Everyday 4

An NPC like her is 3 volumes too early to confess to Kasumi like that. I'm sure there'll be some shocking developments when she visits Kyouko's house, like blushing, bathing and the possibility of degenerate hand-holding.

It's the same reason I was pissed off at the plot twist in Fuuka where Mikasa turned out to be straight - the idea that you just "grow out" of being gay and return to heteronormative conforming values seems completely off to me.
I'd rather have my yuri be crazy and stabby, but there's despairingly little of that around. The homosexuality as a phase thing does raise its head occasionally (usually in the more angsty stories), but otherwise I'd say your first point is far more accurate than your second. And if you want to start scowling at certain types of manga because of their shameless demographic targeting then you'll be doing a lot of angry grimacing.

Jintor

hey if you can recommend me more real lgbt manga i'm all for that too

i love the more grounded stuff too. moreso, i would say.

redlemon

Vapid fluff is comforting. A lot of the best yuri fluff is also generally created by women. Though I would assume stuff like Bloom Into You would have a majority male readership due to running in Dengeki Daioh.

Top Bottom