• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

zroid

Banned
The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars 1

The end of the show gave me almost everything I wanted, except for 1 thing and well, this fix it right from the start with a cool kiss scene.
Pretty nice art all throughout the volume and the story set up isn't half bad.
It was also nice to see the coming out scenes with family and friends cheering and approving. Maybe a bit cheesy in a way but I approve of it, also because the drama for now seems focused on another aspect, mainly a misunderstanding that is sure to bring in a war between spirits and humans.
I did find it weird how it just came out that Katara was bi, and some past avatar was also bi.

Anyways, Turf Wars feels off to a great start and I recommend it to anyone who liked the Korra show and wants to see more of Korra and Asami.

Oh I didn't know this counted as manga :p

Yeah I read it too a few days ago; I really like the Avatar TLA continuation comics, and this pretty much hits the same notes. Expanding on the relationship established at the end of the series is certainly something which I think was greatly needed and this more or less does the job. The rest of the story seems to have gotten glossed over but they'll probably focus more on it in the next issue. Mako's reaction was interesting and I wonder if that will lead to anything narratively in the future (actually reminded me of my own reaction when a friend from high school came out to me; I was awkward af because I was just ignorant at the time and had no experience in such matters).

Tokyo Ghoul:re 143

mrw-all-these-states-are-legalizing-cannabis-and-here-in-oklahoma-theyre-legalizing-beer-236447.gif

My exact thoughts... "Man how is ken going to get out of this one?"
"oh.. he doesnt."
then the last page... like wtf.

Lain

Oh I didn't know this counted as manga :p

Yeah I read it too a few days ago; I really like the Avatar TLA continuation comics, and this pretty much hits the same notes. Expanding on the relationship established at the end of the series is certainly something which I think was greatly needed and this more or less does the job. The rest of the story seems to have gotten glossed over but they'll probably focus more on it in the next issue. Mako's reaction was interesting and I wonder if that will lead to anything narratively in the future (actually reminded me of my own reaction when a friend from high school came out to me; I was awkward af because I was just ignorant at the time and had no experience in such matters).

Show is anime, so comic is manga af! ;p
I'm really anticipating the next one.

bobohoro

After being lukewarm on half of the series, I have to say chapter 143 was some decent, impactful fun.
Damn, hit you so fast you didn't even realise it at first.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch20 (End)

RULES OF NATURE

Anyways, it was fun little spin-off/sequel, and these two definitely fit any role well, despite senpai's frequent oddities. It was somehow kinda appropriate to end with a zombie outbreak setting, and the ending was both sad yet surprisingly romantic. The author stated her desire to make another sequel, and I eagerly await what kind of craziness she'll come up with next.

Chase17

Black Clover 127
It's too bad that Finral lost this. The panel of the black bulls coming in to protect him was pretty good. Lucky out for blood.

Letting them fight it is interesting call. I guess Asta beating him in a dual will essentially bypass his team into the finals (if I remember the bracket right).

Food Wars 233
It will be pretty funny if they kept Takumi around just for him to job here. We even had blatant jobbers on Central so they could have cancelled out when making teams if this is the case.

The Promised Neverland 57
Psycho Emma is the best. Master negotiator. Road trip with nameless guy is going to be fun.

Dr. Stone 29
Didn't expect the old guy to be ripped. Either missed what Senku was talking about at the end, or it wasn't meant to be too heavily implied.

Robot x Laserbeam 27
Funny chapter. Think that makes two protagonists in the magazine where we get to see them have a
living
mother.

And now we don't need wonder why Robo is so amazing at golf. His Dad was a pro. Golf skills are, of course, known to be mostly genetic so this makes sense. Don't question it!

We Never Learn 33
Was curious how they would include them all after last week. Summer school for everyone.

MHA 154
Aizawa suddenly being gone is a bit jarring. Something is about to go down.

Saw a shot of the other two new series in this round. I think it was Bass who mentioned that the Golem Hearts looks like Meliodas. Wasn't joking! Other series the guy looks like he is holding a ping pong paddle. While there is no reason to believe they wouldn't want 5 sports series, I am a bit worried this means they might take out Shudan this go around.

There seems to be a new announcement for Tokyo Ghoul re on October 12th.

I am gonna laugh so hard if they announce the manga is gonna end. Then we get a third part lmao.

Or anime lol.

There seems to be a new announcement for Tokyo Ghoul re on October 12th.

I am gonna laugh so hard if they announce the manga is gonna end. Then we get a third part lmao.

Or anime lol.

Honestly I’d believe that’s happening. Tokyo Ghoul did end on chapter 144 which is next weeks Re chapter so take with that what you will.

Viz Shonen Jump 10/02/17

Black Clover 127

While I am somewhat disappointed that of course Asta has to be the one to come in and fight Langris I did like the shot of the Black Bulls surrounding him to defend Finral. Also props to the wizard king for saying "let them fight" as opposed to the expected "save it for the next round of the tournament". I wonder how this will impact that next round will Langris' team get a substitute?

Food Wars 233

I still can't tell if Takumi is here to job or not. My gut has been saying "lol jobber gonna job" but he's facing a jobber in Eizan. Perhaps the tease at the end of the chapter is thaf Eizan has been holding back for awhile now and we're about to see his true stength... or maybe he's going to cheat and some shenanigans will happen where Takumi will lose but Eizan will also be disqualified.

One Piece 880

Pudding and Sanji's interactions in this chapter were priceless. It's weird how we have super wacky hijinx with them while Luffy is getting his shit kicked in and the remaining Straw Hats are about to die to a tsunami. These past few chapters of One Piece have been the most enjoyable the series has been in awhile.

The Promised Neverland 57

Yo real talk Emma gives Light from death note a run for his money in terms of being a completely psychopath. The innocent smile on her face while there is a knife in her face and she threatens to blow them all up unless nameless man makes a deal with her LAWD.

Dr Stone 29

Solid chapter with some good gags involving the old man. I like that the series continues to introduce more characters from the village at a decent pace while helping to make all of them feel unique. I assume Senku is gonna have the two warrior bros either go to a volcano or to the cave where Tsukasa is getting the revival fluid.

Robot x Laserbeam 27

I would be very happy if the series just said "fuck this high school shit" and let Robo and the emperor just jump straight into the pros.

We Never Learn 33

Asumi is probably my favorite late to the party with no chance to win harem girl in any harem series I've read/seen. The fact she's able to pierce the bs and ask the questions the audience wants like "so what happens after exams" or "why do you care do you like him?". Its disappointing her odds of winning are zero since she seems far more compatible with Yuiga then any of the other girls introduced up to this point.

My Hero Academia 154

Really surprised they'd kill Night Eye here assuming this death actually sticks. I fully expected Night eye to try and guilt Deku into giving Mirio One for All at the end of this arc. Perhaps now it's something Deku himself will consider? Or maybe Mirio will become the character the mangaka originally planned for Deku to be. The physical abilities he gained from Night Eye's training seems like they would fit well with the "not batman" move set.

One Punch Man 75

Why bother establishing that hero killer garou can't beat a weaker gag character to then have him reaction one punched by Saitama here? Just get rid of this villain he sucks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Black Lagoon 92

Aww shit. So Rock definitely knows Eda is CIA and he's not only about to make his move, but he's busting Revvy out at the same time? This shit is going to be interesting.

I do like Eda pointing out that Rock definitely thought about throwing Feng under the bus to get Revvy back.

upandaway

Slam Dunk

I read this over the past couple of months and finished the other day. It's really really good. Such a satisfying way of conveying sports in a manga that I never saw done this well before. In retrospect it feels like a lot of other Jump sports got inspired from it (I can see parallels in Haikyuu and Kuroko, way more parallels in Kuroko but they're all superficial).

Was the manga cut short though? The ending felt a little jarring. It's not like I'd call the story incomplete but I think it could have gone further very easily. Maybe it's just me.

Kimetsu no Yaiba

And also caught up to this yesterday. I think if you gave me the concepts in the manga in a few paragraphs it would sound cooler than it actually ended up being, the execution could be better, but the ideas are all great I think (I really like the main duo and Inosuke). The pacing and how fast everyone's logic goes to the next step constantly is really refreshing for Jump, that also happens in Hero Academia but on a much faster pace in this manga.

The amount of focus on pillars recently makes it seem like there's nothing in between the lowest ranking and the pillars which is a bit weird. The manga is in a bit of a corner right now where it's only the pillars and the upper moons and nothing else compares or matters against those two groups (except for the MCs of course), which makes the world seem somewhat small compared to what it could have been.

zroid

Banned
Kigurumi Guardians vol 1

Surprised at how much I ended up liking this. It's funny and charming. Interesting spin on the magical girl genre. Ginger is hilarious.

Usobuko

Banned
Slam Dunk

I read this over the past couple of months and finished the other day. It's really really good. Such a satisfying way of conveying sports in a manga that I never saw done this well before. In retrospect it feels like a lot of other Jump sports got inspired from it (I can see parallels in Haikyuu and Kuroko, way more parallels in Kuroko but they're all superficial).

Was the manga cut short though? The ending felt a little jarring. It's not like I'd call the story incomplete but I think it could have gone further very easily. Maybe it's just me.

The Manga was serialized from early 90s and end around mid 90s.

The match against Sannoh took a total of 6 volumes where 5 Volume were dedicated to the second half. The last volume was particularly impressive because the author uses silent panels, panels without any narration or dialogue, to heighten tension.

The manga wasn't cut short, Slam Dunk was very popular actually, it was Inoue deciding to end the manga at that moment and gives readers a bittersweet after taste.

We, the readers, all knew Shohoku has potential as we were there witnessing its growth but we don't quite know about it limits.

It was all the right ingredients that results in the underdog triumph over the greatest Sannoh side in 20 years history. This includes the growth of Sakuragi and Rukawa, the decision to utilize Mitsui Hisashi's 3 pointers right at the start and of course the long-term outlook of Sannoh coach which backfires because he chooses to field and prioritize the year 1 player ( the timid Giant dude ) to accumulate experience in the first half. The Sannoh coach just didn't expect to lose, against Shohoku.

Anyway, Kainan got second in the nationals and they were on the left side of the tournament bracket. Shohoku, Sannoh and Aiwa was on the left too. So that means Aiwa lost against Kainan, the latter went on to lose to the finalist from the right side of the bracket.

Kainan wasn't much stronger than they were in regionals and the Aiwa match Shohoku is likely missing Hisashi and Sakuragi since they decided to throw everything they got against Sannoh without regrets.

This implied that Aiwa isn't that strong team of a team and had Shohoku was having a healthy squad, they will likely beat both Aiwa and Kainan.

Hence the bittersweet aftertaste. It's a lot of what if except the fact that they did beat arguably the strongest squad in high-school basketball history but it costs them too much to proceed further.

BLack Clover
DLOIwXvXcAASGSR.jpg:small

I cant wait for these chapters in the anime (phenomenal episode 1, a must watch this season)

Great chapter, Im glad this slight distraction has actually turned out better than I was expecting.

Food Wars

Finally we see what happened with Taku and it was amazing.
DLOK72tW0AAyN7V.jpg:small

Still pulling through, I think Eizan will be crushed in the most unexpected manner possible. He has no more development left.

Zweizer

Banned
Shoujo Shikkaku ch6-8 + Epilogue (End)

Eh, the first chapter was somewhat promising, but ultimately the twist didn't amount to much, the resolution was rather flat, and the epilogue itself was a bland "happy reunion" that itself doesn't actually explain nor solve any of the problems previously raised. Kinda disappointing.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch41

Well, Boss had a good time before his demise at least.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch31

That was quite a dramatic development.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 80
lol at Tanjiro essentially telling the guy who lost his arm to deal with it.

Best jump polygamous relationship has arrived I guess?

Hinomaru Zumou 150
I should probably just wait until the rest of the match is released. Chapters have been great but go so quick. Reina finally hit the end goal of her arc going from sumo hater to lover.

Shudan 14
Finally got to learn about Roku's deal, and it was worth the wait. Nanase forcing characters into development. The page DTL posted caught me off guard, and was very well done.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
...wait, he never didn't know before? Then again, that doesn't surprise me he would figure it out anyways.

The audience is straight up told Eda is CIA during Greenback Jane's arc, but I'm not sure if Rock is ever told by anyone. I really should go back and reread this series, it's been a bit too long to remember certain things. This chapter heavily implies he knows what's up with her though.

Then there's still the question of what's up with Dutch. He's not who he says he is, Rock got that warning from Seal Team 6 at the end of Roberta's Blood Trail. Given the information Eda was after, it's safe to say Dutch isn't working alongside her and whoever he's with is in direct competition with the CIA.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Kimetsu no Yaiba 80
lol at Tanjiro essentially telling the guy who lost his arm to deal with it.

Best jump polygamous relationship has arrived I guess?

Hinomaru Zumou 150
I should probably just wait until the rest of the match is released. Chapters have been great but go so quick. Reina finally hit the end goal of her arc going from sumo hater to lover.

Shudan 14
Finally got to learn about Roku's deal, and it was worth the wait. Nanase forcing characters into development. The page DTL posted caught me off guard, and was very well done.

I don't think the match has much longer to go and then there's season 2 for which I really have no idea what to expect aside from Darkness Hinomaru's old friend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We Can't Study!

I don't even know who Ashumi even is. I mean, other than a hot haremite who wants main guy's dick like everyone else in the entire school.

edit: because I missed Ch. 31 explaining who she is

Kvik

Woah that's nice. What kind of price are we looking at for this?

It's currently $135 in Amazon, but I got my preorder in when it was $100 and change.

Unsure if Instocktrades will stock it, but it's possible you can get it for less there.

Also, the release is at the end of the month.

My Sister, Whom I Met on a Dating Site, Is Getting Drunk (SFW short)

Gave My Sister's Friend Supplementary Lessons While Reading Yuri Manga In The Bath At A Convention For Drunken Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

Top Bottom