• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Picked up tons of manga and lns, almost 20 HQ volumes exciting milestone.
tumblr_ox9t4ikQCD1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

Chase17

I don't think the match has much longer to go and then there's season 2 for which I really have no idea what to expect aside from Darkness Hinomaru's old friend.
Yeah, I'd guess two maybe 3 chapters tops left in this match, so I'll keep going as they release. This does feel like the perfect climax for the series, so I'm interested to see what goes on in season 2. Probably going to overhaul the cast.

Picked up tons of manga and lns, almost 20 HQ volumes exciting milestone.

WT been on hiatus so long viz is about to catch up on volumes :(

Usobuko

Banned
Pastel 1-86

Finally. OMG. The MC is probably the worst MC in harem lol. I mean what the hell.

Many chapters of nothing.

This manga has already reached 20+ volumes when I was in high-school and that continues all the way till 2017 when it finally ends.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, I'd guess two maybe 3 chapters tops left in this match, so I'll keep going as they release. This does feel like the perfect climax for the series, so I'm interested to see what goes on in season 2. Probably going to overhaul the cast.

WT been on hiatus so long viz is about to catch up on volumes :(

Truth be told I find FA release schedule waaay too slow and irregular but they're good quality and I'm glad they translate it.
Judging by what I've seen of the raws not so much a overhaul more follow what the current cast is doing in the future

far future.

Chase17

Looks like Shudan should be safe for this round.

Shonen Jump 45:
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (Lead CP)
Haikyu!!
One Piece
Dr. Stone (CP)
Black Clover
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shokugeki no Soma
We Never Learn (CP)
The Promised Neverland
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Saiki.
Gintama
Spring Weapon no. 1
Robot x Laserbeam
Shudan
Cross Account
Hungry Marie
Isobe

Shonen Jump 46
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (Lead CP)
Lycopene (CP)
Isobe (CP)
Shudan (23P CP)
Boruto (CP)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hearing that Hungry Marie is ending in Jump 48. So only a few more chapters.

Zweizer

Banned
Help!! My Sister Who I Met On a Dating Site for Sisters Got My Pregnant With Her Donor Sperm and We're Keeping the Baby!!

..?

Take out the [donor sperm] bit and replace it with [love/science/magic/Mochi Au Lait's shady new drug].

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hoshino me o tsubutte latest
Now this is drama done right. Teach just want to get out of her comfort zone to venture to new area, and parting is part of life.

Shonen Jump 45:
Haikyu!!
One Piece
Dr. Stone (CP)
Black Clover
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shokugeki no Soma
We Never Learn (CP)
The Promised Neverland
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Saiki.
Gintama
Spring Weapon no. 1
Robot x Laserbeam
Shudan
Cross Account
Hungry Marie
Isobe

Shonen Jump 46
Lycopene (CP)
Isobe (CP)
Shudan (23P CP)
Boruto (CP)

Looks like that chapter of RxL was right into the bunker, poor guy.

Shuudan getting a CP, hype!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you meet your sister on a dating site don't swipe right

Definitely don't have sex with her

Shonen Jump 45:
Haikyu!!
One Piece
Dr. Stone (CP)
Black Clover
My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shokugeki no Soma
We Never Learn (CP)
The Promised Neverland
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Saiki.
Gintama
Spring Weapon no. 1
Robot x Laserbeam
Shudan
Cross Account
Hungry Marie
Isobe

Shonen Jump 46
Lycopene (CP)
Isobe (CP)
Shudan (23P CP)
Boruto (CP)

Couldn't Shudan also end in 2 issues? Yes I imagine cross account will die first but isn't one of the new series another sports series? Perhaps the extra pages cp is to let the mangaka end this match before cancellation.

DNAbro

Blue Flag 17

D7WCjBU.png

This was a pretty great chapter and it came early. Hopefully this is a start in Taichi moving away from his self-loathing over everything. I also like how it gave a reason why Touma has liked Taichi. The moment he had with Touma was really sweet too.

Chase17

Couldn't Shudan also end in 2 issues? Yes I imagine cross account will die first but isn't one of the new series another sports series? Perhaps the extra pages cp is to let the mangaka end this match before cancellation.

It could. And yeah I believe one of the new ones is supposed to be a ping pong series. That said I think it would be odd to cancel a series the week after a CP. Though since it is a mangaka who already had a series in jump maybe that would be there way of being respectful about it or something.

It could. And yeah I believe one of the new ones is supposed to be a ping pong series. That said I think it would be odd to cancel a series the week after a CP. Though since it is a mangaka who already had a series in jump maybe that would be there way of being respectful about it or something.

Either way I think the survivor of Shuudan and Cross Account will be sacrificed on the alter of hxh's return if it actually does come back this year.

I just started reading Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, and I kind of feel like it's the spiritual successor to To-Love-Ru. the gags are clever enough, and it has the unfortunate potential to go completely soft-core p later on when it gets popular enough.

Zweizer

Banned
Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch32

Takahashi is such a great guy. That was a nice bit of drama, forcing her students and herself to get out of their comfort zone.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch56.5

Well, they're pretty much going out in all but name anyways.

Watari-kun no xx ga Houkai Sunzen ch29

Satsuki really knows how to pick her words. Too bad Watari doesn't know how to appreciate her, yet doesn't want to let her go.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari ch31

Guess we're getting training montage for the girls now.

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki ch35

He makes everything look OP lol. I doubt he'll lose the upcoming trial.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch221

lol, she just went and did it all by herself.

upandaway

Slam Dunk

The Manga was serialized from early 90s and end around mid 90s.

The match against Sannoh took a total of 6 volumes where 5 Volume were dedicated to the second half. The last volume was particularly impressive because the author uses silent panels, panels without any narration or dialogue, to heighten tension.

The manga wasn't cut short, Slam Dunk was very popular actually, it was Inoue deciding to end the manga at that moment and gives readers a bittersweet after taste.

We, the readers, all knew Shohoku has potential as we were there witnessing its growth but we don't quite know about it limits.

It was all the right ingredients that results in the underdog triumph over the greatest Sannoh side in 20 years history. This includes the growth of Sakuragi and Rukawa, the decision to utilize Mitsui Hisashi's 3 pointers right at the start and of course the long-term outlook of Sannoh coach which backfires because he chooses to field and prioritize the year 1 player ( the timid Giant dude ) to accumulate experience in the first half. The Sannoh coach just didn't expect to lose, against Shohoku.

Anyway, Kainan got second in the nationals and they were on the left side of the tournament bracket. Shohoku, Sannoh and Aiwa was on the left too. So that means Aiwa lost against Kainan, the latter went on to lose to the finalist from the right side of the bracket.

Kainan wasn't much stronger than they were in regionals and the Aiwa match Shohoku is likely missing Hisashi and Sakuragi since they decided to throw everything they got against Sannoh without regrets.

This implied that Aiwa isn't that strong team of a team and had Shohoku was having a healthy squad, they will likely beat both Aiwa and Kainan.

Hence the bittersweet aftertaste. It's a lot of what if except the fact that they did beat arguably the strongest squad in high-school basketball history but it costs them too much to proceed further.
Yeah it's definitely bittersweet. It's just that the treatment to some things like losing the next match after how much they wanted to win the tournament, and captain losing his rec, was kinda surprising in how fast it was mentioned and moved on. I agree with everything you wrote though. Everything that happened in the manga was rock solid in terms of sequence of events and the story was complete. I just expected a bit more than "oh and then they lost" kinda thing.

Chase17

Another list is saying that Shudan is just extra pages and not a color page. Which would make sense as most issues have 4 CPs opposed to the 5 in the list I posted. Makes the extra pages to approach ending thing seem a lot more likely to me. Will have to wait and see.

Maedhros

I just started reading Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san, and I kind of feel like it's the spiritual successor to To-Love-Ru. the gags are clever enough, and it has the unfortunate potential to go completely soft-core p later on when it gets popular enough.

I read it too, it feels a lot like Love Hina and To Love ru.

Just read it for laughs and waifus. No one will judge you (besides me, you freaking weaboo).

zroid

Banned
[light novel post]

I just finished reading the Haruhi series. there were some ups and downs but overall I really enjoyed it. the final arc in volumes 9, 10, and 11 was fantastic. makes me really disappointed that it never got an anime adaptation.

if I had to rank the arcs then I'd probably go with:

1. Dissociation/Surprise
2. Disappearance
3. Melancholy
4. Sigh
5. Intrigues

i hear the manga isnt quite as well regarded as the novels or anime but I'm thinking of checking it out in any case.

please write more, Tanigawa! even if it's just another short story collection, I will buy it!

[/light novel post]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I see what you did there

The difference between Yuragi and TLR is that the protaganist in Yuragi isn't a dumb twit who lucks into a gigantic harem. He earns his gigantic harem by punching ghosts really hard.

zroid

Banned
Otouto no Otto is rather good. Charming but thoughtful and insightful. Certainly as a foreigner I found it interesting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So now that the Black Clover anime has dropped (and is getting savaged by the community), I looked ahead to see what other current Jump manga could get an anime.

First thing I noticed is that Black Clover is somehow the only 2015 series to survive right now. Ouch. Straighten Up and Samon managed to last a couple years at least, but everything else just diiiiiiied.

Onto possible series to adapt, the next likely one is either Kimetsu no Yaiba or Yuna of Yuragi Inn (I mean if To-Love-Ru can get an anime, this can get one too. Prepare for trash!)

If not those, then definitely The Promised Neverland. Oh man it's already popular, an anime would bring it to Attack on Titan levels.

Still too early for We Never Learn or Dr. Stone.

Hungry Marie is confirmed ending. On 12/4 Volume 3 and 4 will release at the same time
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-04/hungry-marie-manga-ends-with-4th-volume/.122258

And there it is.

Boogiepop

Hungry Marie is confirmed ending. On 12/4 Volume 3 and 4 will release at the same time
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-04/hungry-marie-manga-ends-with-4th-volume/.122258
Fare thee well, Hungry Marie. You were too good for those voters with terrible tastes who somehow hated you while loving (occassionally, since it does seem to jump around the ratings a lot) the abysmal Robot x Laserbeam. The one solace... is that I can probably finally stop being so salty about your poor performance in the rankings.

(I'm still grumpy about it, but honestly 4 volumes is further than I was expecting it to get considering how poor those rankings were. So that's at least an okay-ish consolation prize.)

Edit: And much as I'm still grumpy about both Robo and We Never Learn, as I just see zero merit in both... Dr. Stone has honestly been turning out a lot more up my alley than originally expected. Like, started out as an "okay, could be interesting to see where it goes" for me, but has been really, really doing it for me lately. So that whole batch of stuff at least wasn't a complete wash for me.

casiopao

Fare thee well, Hungry Marie. You were too good for those voters with terrible tastes who somehow hated you while loving (occassionally, since it does seem to jump around the ratings a lot) the abysmal Robot x Laserbeam. The one solace... is that I can probably finally stop being so salty about your poor performance in the rankings.

(I'm still grumpy about it, but honestly 4 volumes is further than I was expecting it to get considering how poor those rankings were. So that's at least an okay-ish consolation prize.)

Edit: And much as I'm still grumpy about both Robo and We Never Learn, as I just see zero merit in both... Dr. Stone has honestly been turning out a lot more up my alley than originally expected. Like, started out as an "okay, could be interesting to see where it goes" for me, but has been really, really doing it for me lately. So that whole batch of stuff at least wasn't a complete wash for me.

Lol. Hungry Marie is just another Beelzebub but with even weaker opening lol. People had enough with the same thing there.

Cross Account though, i hope it survive.T_T

Sandfox

So now that the Black Clover anime has dropped (and is getting savaged by the community), I looked ahead to see what other current Jump manga could get an anime.

First thing I noticed is that Black Clover is somehow the only 2015 series to survive right now. Ouch. Straighten Up and Samon managed to last a couple years at least, but everything else just diiiiiiied.

Onto possible series to adapt, the next likely one is either Kimetsu no Yaiba or Yuna of Yuragi Inn (I mean if To-Love-Ru can get an anime, this can get one too. Prepare for trash!)

If not those, then definitely The Promised Neverland. Oh man it's already popular, an anime would bring it to Attack on Titan levels.

Still too early for We Never Learn or Dr. Stone.

And there it is.
It wil never happen, but Hinomaru Zumou is the Jump series I want animated most.

vkrili

Jitsu Wa 189

My Monster Secret Is
that I'm crying

I love this manga so much. Easily the best romcom I've ever read and I don't see it being knocked off its perch any time soon. And there's still a couple of chapters to go.

Vampire-chan x Junior-chan 4

This chapter may have the highest blush to non-blush ratio of anything I've ever read. I've said before that I wasn't that enamoured with the lead pairing, but if they can compensate for their shortcomings with lewd blood-sucking friendship of this quality then I'm all in favour.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia 155

That last panel was so unexpected yet so wanted. About time that they showed up. Also I feel so bad for Mirio and Eri. After all that struggle she runs back to Overhaul the second he messes with her.

Promised Neverland 58

She gonna get a gun.

One Piece 881

Ooh Jinbei is so cool. So glad he's joining the crew. Also I wonder how Luffy is going to deal with this, he hasn't even come close to causing damage.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 58

Emma gonna walk out geared to the teeth.

One Piece ch. 881

Did Luffy spit up the shards of glass? Little unsure of what exactly Oda was trying to communicate with that sequence there.

His proud expression afterwards was pretty good though.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch189

Goddamn, what a fantastic and moving finale. Everything this chapter was perfectly executed.

Cheerful Amnesia ch12

Arisa screwed up there. At least she got to bond again with an old friend.

Vampire-chan x Junior-chan ch4

All this blushing is totally due to the fever. Yup.

Kingdom ch533

Mouten is pretty much already a general now. Shin still has a long way to go.

Top Bottom