• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Bleach

Well, that's a pretty punk way to go out when you have the power of imagination. If that's how the battle was going to end, it should have ended sooner.

Naruto

Madara is the best ninja in forever because of his hax skill. Seriously Kishi, Limbo is broken beyond belief and you did a terrible job in showing it off this issue. In other news, Sakura is completely useless as always. What in the world has she been doing the past several minutes? Shooting the shit with Obito?

One Piece

Doflamingo is the baddest motherfucker in existence at this point. Looks like we will finally get to the real fights of the arc. Still hoping for an epic fight between Pico and Zoro.

Kreed

One Piece:

For your first paragraph... better get used to every 'boss' enemy having it. Everyone at the top of the world or having realistic chance of getting there will most likely have it.

As for your second, it's shonen so that's pretty much given.

I'm honestly hoping outside of the likes of Kaidou and Blackbeard, we won't see more Emperor Haki opponents, but I'm prepared for Oda to do this for every Luffy opponent from now until Blackbeard.

I suppose. It's just so evident in shonen since the heroes need to keep growing in power and they need equally powerful enemies to combat.

Yep anything that has in power , abilities , groups , people trying to go to the top etc etc your going to see( basically a whole bunch of stuff lol)
For eg Sports anime is also another perfect eg of it you hear about strong teams \person then our heroes\MC have to get better to beat them with each team\ character being better .
Then when they get to top it could go either way if it goes on long enough .

upandaway

One Piece:

I'm honestly hoping outside of the likes of Kaidou and Blackbeard, we won't see more Emperor Haki opponents, but I'm prepared for Oda to do this for every Luffy opponent from now until Blackbeard.
I'm not saying it will necessarily be different, but people said the same thing about logias, then we got Rob Lucci, Magellan and Whitebeard. I'm expecting this to be handled the same way.

I'm not saying it will necessarily be different, but people said the same thing about logias, then we got Rob Lucci, Magellan and Whitebeard. I'm expecting this to be handled the same way.

There also marines to take into account that Luffy might fight before he goes to the top so i don't think they will have it .
Less than the pirates for sure .

Akito

OP
This ain't no Alabasta nor Whiskey Peak but Skypia 2.0, I can see Mango will put Fujitora's name out there as well, either way should be fun to see how the latter will react to this situation. Looks like Luffy actually has to show something new here but at least Mango doesn't have a string clone anymore right?

Bleach

Well, that's a pretty punk way to go out when you have the power of imagination. If that's how the battle was going to end, it should have ended sooner.

Naruto

Madara is the best ninja in forever because of his hax skill. Seriously Kishi, Limbo is broken beyond belief and you did a terrible job in showing it off this issue. In other news, Sakura is completely useless as always. What in the world has she been doing the past several minutes? Shooting the shit with Obito?

One Piece

Doflamingo is the baddest motherfucker in existence at this point. Looks like we will finally get to the real fights of the arc. Still hoping for an epic fight between Pico and Zoro.
What the fuck? Useless? So you do realize that we don't know when during the fights that obito asked that question right? He couldvee requested it, she starts the process immediately and Madara appears then. If you're gonna bash her, make sure it's not something that's easily explainable by taking two minutes to think about

Tacitus_

I see your point but haki has basically been given the explanation of "if you're badass enough, you have it" and conquerors haki would be on the badassest of the badasses, who will be what Luffy will be fighting from now on (excluding curb stomps).
The cone headed grandpa flat out tells Luffy this during their fight in the stadium.

IHaveIce

Banned
Seriously, people who thought Doflamingo having Emperor's Haki was cheap... just use your head. Probably all of the big strong Characters in the New world have it. It was said one of 100.000 has it... 100.000 aren't that many, there should be a lot of humans being able to use it.

He was practically set up to have it, Shichibukai, King of an island, underground boss who deals with the Yonkou and now we even now he is an Celestial Dragon.

Him not having the E.H. would be quite the shock

One Piece:
Stuff is getting really crazy in Dressrosa now. While this wasn't one of my favorite chapters, it does look like we're heading into the endgame of the arc, so that should be fun to see.

Naruto:
This is absolutely terrible. Just a bunch of hax characters throwing their broken abilities around. Please be finished soon.

Seriously, people who thought Doflamingo having Emperor's Haki was cheap... just use your head. Probably all of the big strong Characters in the New world have it. It was said one of 100.000 has it... 100.000 aren't that many, there should be a lot of humans being able to use it.

He was practically set up to have it, Shichibukai, King of an island, underground boss who deals with the Yonkou and now we even now he is an Celestial Dragon.

Him not having the E.H. would be quite the shock

It's 1 in a million but still your point still stands

I see your point but haki has basically been given the explanation of "if you're badass enough, you have it" and conquerors haki would be on the badassest of the badasses, who will be what Luffy will be fighting from now on (excluding curb stomps).
The cone headed grandpa flat out tells Luffy this during their fight in the stadium.

Marines don't forget about the marines lol .

LeleSocho

Banned
I really don't like Naruto that much but why people are hating it? It's an average manga, neither good nor bad, did Kishimoto do something to you or your family?
It's really boring every week watching someone's comment just being "ugh just end it already" or "why this hasn't finished yet?"

Kreed

One Piece:

Magellan may as well have been a Logia, but this is what I'd rather see more of vs opponents with the strongest form of Haki and "Law level" non Logia Devil Fruits. Lucci in particular was very creative of Oda, but I doubt we'll be seeing an opponent like him again at this stage.

Again, I'm am talking about reader perspective, not "in story" criticisms. Examples being the debate about Haki "always existing" in One Piece back when Shanks saved Luffy and used it, and Ace's tattoo being something other than a comedic misspelling of his name. In the current story, Oda has made these story elements work as a author. As a long time reader, they are clear story additions/story afterthoughts added in to improve the story, but stand out because they were only fleshed out when needed to improve the story. Being the "king of an island", "an underground boss who deals with Yonkou" and a "Celestial Dragon", are all afterthought additions meant to make him a stronger opponent. None of this information existed prior to the time skip or was even hinted at, and that is because they weren't necessary for a Luffy pre-time skip/pre-Haki. Once Oda introduced Haki to the story, Doflamingo needed these upgrades.

_hekk05

Banned
Painstakingly created kawaii chitoge avatar up for grabs

czcgta.png

oh my god that took forever

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Every single character that has it in the story that we have seen so far we have been told about it or seen it.
Chances are if any of them had it we gotten some sort of hint by now, then again i could be totally wrong but that how i see it .

One Piece: Again, I'm am talking about reader perspective, not "in story" criticisms. Examples being the debate about Haki "always existing" in One Piece back when Shanks saved Luffy and used it, and Ace's tattoo being something other than a comedic misspelling of his name. In the current story, Oda has made these story elements work as a author. As a long time reader, they are clear story additions/story afterthoughts added in to improve the story, but stand out because they were only fleshed out when needed to improve the story. Being the "king of an island", "an underground boss who deals with Yonkou" and a "Celestial Dragon", are all afterthought additions meant to make him a stronger opponent. None of this information existed prior to the time skip or was even hinted at, and that is because they weren't necessary for a Luffy pre-time skip/pre-Haki. Once Oda introduced Haki to the story, Doflamingo needed these upgrades.

Him being a warlord told us he was a strong opponent i really don't understand what you are trying to say .
When we see a Yonko and find out about them are going to say they need upgrades.

EDIT before i forget we knew that Don was some sort of businessman for years now , yeah he running things but he is a warlord .

Metal B

One Piece 745: I'm not referring to anything "in story", this is just reader commentary. For example, there's nothing in the story that would have prevented Doflamingo from having Emperor's Haki, so Oda giving Doflamingo that abiliity isn't a "plot hole" or anything like that. But that didn't stop it from feeling "cheap" from a reader's perspective when it was first revealed in the story.
But Emperor's Haki as far as we know only takes down Minions instantly and gives you +4 for Charisma-Checks. What explain why many leaders have this Haki. All the other forms of Haki are possible to learn for everybody. So what is hacks about Doflamingo and him having Emperor's Haki?

Tacitus_

Every single character that has it in the story that we have seen so far we have been told about it or seen it.
Chances are if any of them had it we gotten some sort of hint by now, then again i could be totally wrong but that how i see it .

It will be told when it's relevant.

One Piece:

Why? wasn't it explained that this Haki is for people with the ambition to rule as of such everyone who currently has it makes perfect sense plus it hasn't been shown as yet to give them any notable advantage other than being able to faint fodders.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It makes perfect sense for Doflamingo to have Conqueror's Haki. He leads a strong group of Pirates, as well as a country that he kept under an iron rule for 10 years, all while convincing the people that their old king was a monster.

Leaders have Conqueror's Haki.

Kreed

One Piece:

Him being a warlord told us he was a strong opponent i really don't understand what you are trying to say .
When we see a Yonko and find out about them are going to say they need upgrades.

EDIT before i forget we knew that Don was some sort of businessman for years now , yeah he running things but he is a warlord .

What I'm saying is that had Luffy fought Doflamingo in place of Crocodile or any time before the CP9 arc, Oda wouldn't have written Doflamingo with Emperor Haki or built him up as much, because Haki hadn't existed yet and Luffy wasn't as strong of an opponent. OR, in a reverse scenario, if Luffy had fought with Crocodile after getting Haki, Oda would have likely written Crocodile as having Emperor Haki.

This isn't relevant to the Yonko outside of Shanks and Blackbeard because none of the other Yonko appeared in the manga prior to the introduction of Haki, and Blackbeard has progressively gotten stronger in the story similar to Luffy, so him having Haki fits with his progression.

One Piece:

What I'm saying is that had Luffy fought Doflamingo in place of Crocodile or any time before the CP9 arc, Oda wouldn't have written Doflamingo with Emperor Haki or built him up as much, because Haki hadn't existed yet and Luffy wasn't as strong of an opponent. OR, in a reverse scenario, if Luffy had fought with Crocodile after getting Haki, Oda would have likely written Crocodile as having Emperor Haki.

This isn't relevant to the Yonko outside of Shanks and Blackbeard because none of the other Yonko appeared in the manga prior to the introduction of Haki, and Blackbeard has progressively gotten stronger in the story similar to Luffy, so him having Haki fits with his progression.

Still don't forget in this same arc Luffy beat a person that had it rather easy , seem it just there to get rid of fodder since crews going to be big in the NW.
I get your point but it comes back to what i say about how some fiction get write .

Another thing that I feel is that if the main characters in a series can grow in strength it shouldn't be surprising that the Villians will grow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom