• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleach
Why is it that in a shounen action series, the manga becomes decent if not outright good, but when it comes to fighting it's pure Yu-Gi-Oh "You've activated my trap card!" bullshit.

Kubo can't write a fight to save his life. Just curb stomp after curb stomp.

Furyous

Tate No Yuusha Chapter 131+

If you haven't read that far in the manga then stop reading now. I'm spoiling a bunch of stuff but have questions on it so stop reading now if you don't want to be spoiled.

I only read up to chapter 193 so keep that in mind.

Does anyone know what Itsuki's role in the Spirit Turtle incident was and why he was in a daze when Naofumi saw him? What does Taniko/Windia do to leave Shield hero and does she take the dragon with her? Does she desert Naofumi completely and does the manga show the wedding between her and Ren? What punishment does the Queen level on Bitch/Whore if she gets captured? If you're reading this and haven't read that far, go read volume 3 because it's awesome.

Thirsty Naofumi deserves his own paragraph because he's awesome. I read chapter 183 started laughing my ass off. He realized all of a sudden that she's cute. This is the funniest moment in the manga, IMHO. I could go for a Naofumi x 21-year-old Raphtalia. Speaking of which her growth attributes as she ages have to be off the charts. The leveling system in this manga is screwed something crazy. LOL at these characters hitting level 45 before reaching adulthood.

dani_dc

Liars Game

Just caught up with the last few chapters.
Not an interesting read, by now the series has made it clear that the real plan won't be revealed until the end of the game, and yet it spent chapters "revealing" wrong plans in detail.
The only good thing is that it seems as if the real twist is finally close by.

Efpm1s3.jpg

Please don't wimp out.

Beat the living shit out of him.

Jonnax

Naruto and Bleach

I've noticed a pattern with Naruto and Bleach in that the series starts off with an interesting premise:
  • The struggles of a young ninja who has never had natural talent but has succeeded through hard work
  • What happens when a person is forced into the role of Shinigami to protect his family and the debt he owes to the person that saved him

There's also in the beginning a small cast of characters who are interesting. I think Rock Lee, because he exemplified hard work, and Tatsuki, who is Ichigo's good friend who can see spirits but has no powers, were interesting characters that were simply forgotten.

I felt that as the mangas the focus shifted from the characters to designing the foundations for a battle and then enacting that battle for weeks. It stopped being interesting so there was no reason for me to care about the battle or the outcome. And I think the main reason is because it was more than half a decade where there was any focus on the characters.

So what I want to know is, is this essentially a rule for these kinds of long running weekly manga? Because I want to avoid these kinds of things in the future, saying that does anyone have any recommendations based on my opinion? :)

Big One

Banned
I don't think there's quite one problem with either of them. The biggest issues that both do share is neither Kubo or Kishimoto can write a logical semblance of sensible characters. Kubo and Kishimoto have a bad knack of transitioning characters from one phase to another without ever developing them and explaining how exactly they changed from one mood or another. Glarring moments like Rukia becoming emo and quiet in the Shinigami arc and Sasuke deciding he wants to destroy the Leaf even after defeating Danzo are still till this day not explained whatsoever or expanded upon to make it a logical transition of said characters.

upandaway

Naruto and Bleach

I've noticed a pattern with Naruto and Bleach in that the series starts off with an interesting premise:
  • The struggles of a young ninja who has never had natural talent but has succeeded through hard work
  • What happens when a person is forced into the role of Shinigami to protect his family and the debt he owes to the person that saved him

There's also in the beginning a small cast of characters who are interesting. I think Rock Lee, because he exemplified hard work, and Tatsuki, who is Ichigo's good friend who can see spirits but has no powers, were interesting characters that were simply forgotten.

I felt that as the mangas the focus shifted from the characters to designing the foundations for a battle and then enacting that battle for weeks. It stopped being interesting so there was no reason for me to care about the battle or the outcome. And I think the main reason is because it was more than half a decade where there was any focus on the characters.

So what I want to know is, is this essentially a rule for these kinds of long running weekly manga? Because I want to avoid these kinds of things in the future, saying that does anyone have any recommendations based on my opinion? :)
I'm not exactly sure I can pinpoint what you're referring to, but to me it sounds like you want Hunter x Hunter.

Jonnax

I don't think there's quite one problem with either of them. The biggest issues that both do share is neither Kubo or Kishimoto can write a logical semblance of sensible characters. Kubo and Kishimoto have a bad knack of transitioning characters from one phase to another without ever developing them and explaining how exactly they changed from one mood or another. Glarring moments like Rukia becoming emo and quiet in the Shinigami arc and Sasuke deciding he wants to destroy the Leaf even after defeating Danzo are still till this day not explained whatsoever or expanded upon to make it a logical transition of said characters.

I agree with you that they do seem to have had trouble writing coherent characters especially when they want to move the plot in a certain direction.

^ What's your preferences like exactly? This is kinda vague.

Well I think what I want to find is a manga with interesting and likeable characters that undergo real development through the series that isn't jarring with a good plot. I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was quite good for this. I'd prefer a finished manga just because that endless wait for the next chapter is quite tiring

I'm not exactly sure I can pinpoint what you're referring to, but to me it sounds like you want Hunter x Hunter.

It sounds interesting but because it's ongoing and has been so for 16 years I'm hesitant to start after being burnt by Naruto and Bleach.

Well I think what I want to find is a manga with interesting and likeable characters that undergo real development through the series that isn't jarring with a good plot. I thought Fullmetal Alchemist was quite good for this. I'd prefer a finished manga just because that endless wait for the next chapter is quite tiring

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Great Teacher Onizuka
Eyeshield 21
Sanctuary

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Kekkaishi is great at what you're looking for. The cast of characters isn't super huge, but they're all pretty fun and go through some real growth and change over the course of the series. There's an anime but it's not very good and doesn't cover the entire series, just up to a certain point.

Zweizer

Banned
Boku Girl ch32-34

Little sister best girl. Too bad she's not sticking around for longer.

Next step is going to be the bra.

Their Story (12/12/14)

I wonder how she manages to have friends.

Just started reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, it's a bit on the fanservicy side but a biscuit hammer about to destroy the world is charmingly absurd.

Lucifer and the biscuit hammer is an amazing story. It starts slow admittedly, but it's so satisfying by the end. I just finished rereading it a few days ago

This is obviously not a villain.

The saw is a fake prop.

The blood is not real.

His wording is only to confuse readers when the "shocking" truth is revealed that he's actually helping people.

And the numerous amount of heads in his Duffel bag are just mannequins heads that only look highly realistic.

dani_dc

Boku Girl 32-34

I was heart broken when lil'sister left, she truly was the best.

Though Yamada at the window was nothing short of amazing.

wonzo

Banned
My Hero Academia 1-18

wanted to see what the fuss was about and i ended up with a standard fair battle shonen. only thing this has goin for it is the art and the frog girl tbh

Tokyo Ghoul 100

Never again shall I underestimate Kaneki's ability to grow edgier.

Tokyo Ghoul 101

See? He got even more edgy.
Also I don't know if it's supposed to look like this or if it was originally but I cannot read shit

Yeah it was done intentionally to convey how insane Kaneki is, which is why you can't read what he's saying that easily.

Kaneki is probably one of the most insane protagonist you'll see in a manga who suffers tremendously with his split personality disorder.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Holy Knight

I'm not here to talk about spoilers... I'm here to talk about Rape.

This has got to be one of the most disgusting Manga's I've ever read. I'm not even sure where the writer's head is. The care the person who wrote this shit handles rape with is literally on the level of "LOL Rape... fap fap fap...". I'm not even joking! Not a dark comedy and certainly no intent of handling the subject with any level of maturity. It's not even trying to hide in the decrepit corners of hentai as some rape-power fantasy. It's literally just rap as a non sequitur. I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHERE THE MIND OF THE WRITER IS in all of what I read. I'm just left with a feeling of disgust. I don't even know what the rest of the story is anymore.

360pages

Holy Knight

This has got to be one of the most disgusting Manga's I've ever read. I'm not even sure where the writer's head is. The care the person who wrote this shit handles rape with is literally on the level of "LOL Rape... fap fap fap...". I'm not even joking! Not a dark comedy and certainly no intent of handling the subject with any level of maturity. It's not even trying to hide in the decrepit corners of hentai as some rape-power fantasy. It's literally just rap as a non sequitur. I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHERE THE MIND OF THE WRITER IS in all of what I read. I'm just left with a feeling of disgust. I don't even know what the rest of the story is anymore.

Well now I've got to google it, thanks...

Holy Knight

I complained about that part a long time ago and was told that the author likes to purposely write stuff that pisses people off.

Certainly worked on me after that scene and how utterly useless the MC turned out to be.

hipbabboom

I complained about that part a long time ago and was told that the author likes to purposely write stuff that pisses people off.

Certainly worked on me after that scene and how utterly useless the MC turned out to be.

So the author is literally an adult with the sensibility of prepubescent sexual sociopath. Reading the work, I got the impression the person writing it is amused by the scenario they created. What should be a defining moment in solidifying the MC's stance is waved off. Also you know the author has full awareness that they're being tasteless because they make no attempt to hide the trauma the experience is causing the victim. It's little more than an execution with the circus performing in the background.

He likes making people angry... to what end... his art?

So the author is literally an adult with the sensibility of prepubescent sexual sociopath. Reading the work, I got the impression the person writing it is amused by the scenario they created. What should be a defining moment in solidifying the MC's stance is waved off. Also you know the author has full awareness that they're being tasteless because they make no attempt to hide the trauma the experience is causing the victim. It's little more than an execution with the circus performing in the background.

He likes making people angry... to what end... his art?

A combination of it being their forte to get a rise out of their readers and for their personal amusement, I imagine.

Kinda of like Seo, who absolutely thrives on rage, tears, and shattered dreams.

wonzo

Banned
Shinkaigyo no Anko-san 1-8.5
Fish people have been welcomed to the town where the human girl Wakasa Otomi lives, and they are integrating well. The fish people can be identified by the physical marks of their fish species, though they take medicine to keep their lower bodies human rather than a fish tail. Otomi loves fish people, and is eager to meet as many as she can! One day, she meets a new transfer student, a lantern fish girl named Tsutsumi Anko. Anko is a bit self-conscious about being a deep sea fish, with a tail that is not cute like some other fish girls. At school, she and Anko deal with various fish problems that intersect with issues an ordinary human high-schooler would face.

the greatest yuri undertone manga EVER

Usobuko

Banned
The Maya Miyazaki who did Holy Knight? Maybe the gender stated here as a female is throw people off like some other authors in the same field ( hana hook ). I find most of 'her' stuff to be bland and uninspired. It's your usual ecchi and sex teasing without any noticeable efforts in all the other aspects. Yes, there are some stuff that are pushing the limits of your conventional boundaries but because it was so unrelatable, I can't be bothered with it.

hipbabboom

The Maya Miyazaki who did Holy Knight? Maybe the gender stated here as a female is throw people off like some other authors in the same field ( hana hook ). I find most of 'her' stuff to be bland and uninspired. It's your usual ecchi and sex teasing without any noticeable efforts in all the other aspects. Yes, there are some stuff that are pushing the limits of your conventional boundaries but because it was so unrelatable, I can't be bothered with it.

sobit is true. I read somewhere that writer was female and didn't want to process it. A part of me really wanted to believe she was pushing the limit with something that would certainly justify the shit show but im getting the vibe that I think youre expressing... shes just a shit writer :(

Zweizer

Banned
Shinkaigyo no Anko-san ch1-8.5

Pretty cute and neat concept about mermaids living with humans. The various characters are all rather well-designed, and the author did a lot of research concerning the various particularities of the depicted fish species. A pleasant slice of life series with hints of yuri.

All hail Anko's illicium!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Is Reiroukan Still Alive? 8

Gotta love this guy.

Also god DAYUM those jeans on the landlady

hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png
hSTb5Kq.png

out of 10

Will read, 11/10.

Tate No Yuusha Chapter 131+

If you haven't read that far in the manga then stop reading now. I'm spoiling a bunch of stuff but have questions on it so stop reading now if you don't want to be spoiled.

I only read up to chapter 193 so keep that in mind.

Dude, how in the flying fuck are there that many chapters? Its only updated to 10 chapters!!!! Are you talking about the light novel? The manga is looking pretty GOAT and my write up is gonna break down the first ten chapters as to why you SHOULD read it and WHY you will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom