• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

Rather than Enel shouldn't it be Ener? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to Energy. I mean I call him Enel because that's what I'm used to but Ener or Eneru seems like the correct choice in this case.

Good point.
Just another reason the comic book industry is dying (and yes I mean both American and Japanese comic books). That and the horrible decisions made with the DC relaunch.

Its funny how anime figured out how to take advantage of fan subbers to legally bring anime digitally with Crunchy Roll and yet no one is doing the same for manga. CR is making an effort but it seems change will take more time

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Its funny how anime figured out how to take advantage of fan subbers to legally bring anime digitally with Crunchy Roll and yet no one is doing the same for manga. CR is making an effort but it seems change will take more time

It doesn't help that Viz has such a monopoly on manga
And they refuse to translate more series for Weekly Jump.
"Assassination Classroom is too violent! Kuroko's Basketball won't translate well! Shokugeki no Soma is too racy!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
"Assassination Classroom is too violent! Kuroko's Basketball won't translate well! Shokugeki no Soma is too racy!"

Viz is owned by Shueisha so they're rather limited in what they can do and probably get screwed over a lot. I honestly don't think they can help it.

"Assassination Classroom is too violent! Kuroko's Basketball won't translate well!
Food Warz is too racy!"

Fixed that for you

And yeah, how many kids are honestly paying for digital manga? Most of the kids just want the ygo cards and probably don't even read the manga. The majority of your audience is otaku nerds viz not little kids. You're translating manga aimed at teenagers not 5 year olds.

Also who the fuck cares if it's racy or violent? Again how many people honestly read manga and would honestly care?

I will give them ass class though, with all the school shootings I probably wouldn't want to translate it either.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Viz is owned by Shueisha so they're rather limited in what they can do and probably get screwed over a lot. I honestly don't think they can help it.

Hmm.
Sounds like the control Viz has is just as "real" as the control Reggie has over Nintendo (as in none at all).

Fixed that for you

And yeah, how many kids are honestly paying for digital manga? Most of the kids just want the ygo cards and probably don't even read the manga. The majority of your audience is otaku nerds viz not little kids. You're translating manga aimed at teenagers not 5 year olds.

Also who the fuck cares if it's racy or violent? Again how many people honestly read manga and would honestly care?

I will give them ass class though, with all the school shootings I probably wouldn't want to translate it either.

Exactly! I mean, they have a "Viz Kids" label exactly for that age group. With Pokemon Adventures (which is already awesome) and The Legend of Zelda manga.

But yeah, they're still right about Assassination Classroom. A series about trying to kill your teacher with guns won't sit well in a nation that would actually pass laws to allow teachers to carry guns in class. We are so fucked up.

I imagine when the inevitable full anime adaptation of ass class is coming out and the series gets popular thanks to it simulcasting on cr or funi they'll have to translate it, probably with a warning 17+ label or something

Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Rachirareta Ken 01-03

LJVkEQwl.png

An ordinary guy gets kidnapped to this super exclusive school for rich young ladies to act as their sample to commoners.

It's pretty stupid. But at the same time, it pretty much enjoys being stupid which makes it decent enough to read. I mean it has the whole rich people are amazed by common things going on and how all the girls are way too pure for this earth.

GManDH

just looked something up, and i know this may sound fanboyish, but has anyone noticed that there are series that have had twice as many volumes as One Piece yet OP is still the highest selling manga EVER. i think by the end of its run itll be one of the top 10 longest manga by volume, and would be one of the longest anime ever if it wasnt for some short anime with over 2thousand eps or something.

just looked something up, and i know this may sound fanboyish, but has anyone noticed that there are series that have had twice as many volumes as One Piece yet OP is still the highest selling manga EVER. i think by the end of its run itll be one of the top 10 longest manga by volume, and would be one of the longest anime ever if it wasnt for some short anime with over 2thousand eps or something.

It would have to sell that well for the manga industry to be healthy. Imagine if DBZ didn't expand the audience in the early 2000s. OP would still be successful, but not to the degree it was now.

Also if those old and long but popular mangas came out today and had success, then OP would have a bigger wall to climb over as OP would have to sell even more to make up the difference.

I think Naruto will surpass DBZ total sales by a tiny bit or just below it with how Kishi is dragging it out and having his fans buy the volumes. Bleach will probably end just around the 120 million mark if not a bit more when all is said and done which is above Slam Dunk.

Still a bit surprised when I learned YYH only sold around 50 million and Kenshin outsold it by 1 million lol. Then again manga wasn't that big until DBZ worldwide.

DBZ if you combine it and Dragon Ball original, would likely still be over Naruto at its end but I don't know anymore. Especially with newcomers going back and buying DBZ volumes to see what the fuss was about in the early 1990s and 2000s.

Saipu 56
So this girl is a middle schooler too. What do they feed middle schoolers in that world?
Also, her name is Meduka. Which is similar to Medusa. I see what he did there

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Do you guys pronounce Energy as "Enelgy"?

Are you just deciding yourself that his name is a play on Energy, or do you have any source whatsoever to support that?

And no, citing エネルギー as how the japanese write the english word in katakana is not a source. Even if it was, the proper romanization would be "Ener," Eneru is not a word.

Trans-Trans 1
This author really likes his gender benders doesn't he. This manga stars a girlish boy who gets bullied in school so, he enjoys playing virtual reality MMOs as a girl. One of the people he raids with is a guy who regularly flirts with him and turns out is in fact a girl and a lesbian. The twist at the end of the chapter is relatively predictable, but this seems to have decent potential to be an entertaining story.

Heysoos

I want to pick up Magi, but I'm thinking of watching the first season of the anime and picking up off where season 1 leaves off. Good/Bad idea?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man and you guys accuse me of having dumb arguments

(any argument I get it in is obviously valid, btw)

I think Kubo and Togashi hold the record for the most weirdest names for each character.

Bazz B, Nnorita, Neferpitou and other shit lol.

NaNaNa Najakoop is still the best one that Kubo has pulled straight from his rectum.

Kuroko no basket

Another Kuroko with the enemy. I hate it when in a sports manga just brings up characters that no one has seen or heard off to be major threat especially when the guy is a third year. Sports team know about each others and use strategies to stop their ace players. In this shit manga top players who has not been mentioned, or players in the same team that have done nothing throughout the manga start doing shit. After this match is done, i ma so done with this piece of shit of a manga. I should just read the new prince of tennis and enjoy quality sports manga.

Naruto

Something Happened:

Yes __

No _X_
I was really hoping that Kishi would have moved passed this chapter and showed me Madara. I am not sure what Madara can do against all hokage, Naruto Sasuke, the other kage, and everyone with the fox chakra. I hope Madara surprises with some hax as shit ability.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know what's valid? Getting rid of that white border around your avatar.

Sod off. Its never going to happen. I didn't accept such a defacement of my avatar from mysticwhip; I sure as hell ain't gonna take it from the likes of you.

Angry Grimace

does gaming side actually believe they invented the Banderas gif because that's a reddit meme that just migrated here

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece:

Did anyone else notice the little girl with the eyepatch in Doflamingo's crew was still... well, a little girl even 10 years ago in the flashback? Is she like some sort of child that never grows old, or maybe it's related to an ability/Devil Fruit she might have?

Also, I can't see a child like that being any sort of combatant for Doffy, but at the same time he probably wouldn't keep an ordinary child around just the hell of it. My guess is that she has some sort of passive ability that benefits him in some way or another, what that ability may be is anyone's guess.
Good call. Weird.

Would fit if the little girl was the toy maker... but it doesn't seem to be that

GManDH

It would have to sell that well for the manga industry to be healthy. Imagine if DBZ didn't expand the audience in the early 2000s. OP would still be successful, but not to the degree it was now.

Also if those old and long but popular mangas came out today and had success, then OP would have a bigger wall to climb over as OP would have to sell even more to make up the difference.

I think Naruto will surpass DBZ total sales by a tiny bit or just below it with how Kishi is dragging it out and having his fans buy the volumes. Bleach will probably end just around the 120 million mark if not a bit more when all is said and done which is above Slam Dunk.

Still a bit surprised when I learned YYH only sold around 50 million and Kenshin outsold it by 1 million lol. Then again manga wasn't that big until DBZ worldwide.

DBZ if you combine it and Dragon Ball original, would likely still be over Naruto at its end but I don't know anymore. Especially with newcomers going back and buying DBZ volumes to see what the fuss was about in the early 1990s and 2000s.

Good statement. definitely understand with what you said and agree with it. i guess shonen is the IT manga now so thats one of the reasons OP is so popular. if if it was some other genre we might see 300Million sales of another series.

Tacitus_

Combine DBZ + "Dragon Ball original"? There's only Dragon Ball and there's 42 volumes of it. No combining needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom