• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

So the Parasite movie finally got confirmed and the cast announced. Pretty rare for an older manga like that to get a live-action adaptation but it should be interesting to say the least.

One Piece

Another solid chapter from Oda with a nice bit about "Will of D" thrown in for good measure. Kind of knew that Law wasn't going to be able to hold out for too long and that someone else might take over the fight. Still hoping we get a Mango vs Zoro fight since I feel that they are more evenly matched and Zoro at least has some defense against Mango's ability.

Glad to see the crew is about to go nuts for the first time in a long while. We got a little from the crew during Fishman and a little more on Punk Hazard, but this time might be when we get to see some pretty crazy stuff that surpasses Water 7/Enies Lobby.

Edit: Law's not dead either guys. Pell survived an explosion that was supposed to kill several thousand people and would have decimated pretty much everything within a half-mile radius. Oda's not about to start just killing people off left and right when shot, stabbed, or even petrified.

Bleach

Another week, another Bleach. Still only reading to see the manga through to the end.

You don't really think Luffy is going to let anyone else fight dofla do you. This chapter basically confured luffy v dofla finale

One Piece

I was more worried for Law when I thought I had a 6-7 week hiatus. Now, injured but not dead. Maybe Chopper will be useful in his role for once.

daveo42

Banned
TOTALLY AGREE.

If Law dies that means that my favorite character from Naruto, and now OnePiece are dead. Talk bout being cursed.

I just realized I don't have a favorite character in One Piece. I know there are a few I'm not as big a fan of, but there are a ton of characters I really really like. No death for Law though. I'm like 99.5% certain of that.

You don't really think Luffy is going to let anyone else fight dofla do you. This chapter basically confured luffy v dofla finale

Not really no. It was just hoping for that confrontation, as thought that the pairing was much better. The only advantage that Mango has over pretty much every Strawhat except Sanji is aerial combat. Sanji's strong point in observation haki, while Zoro's is armament, so he'd naturally have a better defense against Mango's attacks. Also, having swords as a buffer will probably aid Zoro more than just blocking with arms and legs since It seems that Mango's attacks are really fast and hard to avoid.

The only scenario I can see where Luffy and Mango don't fight right now is that somehow Sanji convinces Luffy to finish the coliseum fights, meaning a showdown between Luffy and Jesus (better matchup imo) while our brave swordsmen face off with Mango in the streets.

One Piece
Tune in next time to see how Law used Room on the bullets changing them with marshmallows

Man, now I want this to happen.

Strike Witches - Katayoku no Majotachi 4-12
Pretty cool. I feel that the cast is just a tad more interesting than the anime especially given their interesting ties with the 501st. Also, unlike the 501st, they feel less perfect and have a deeper character

Bleach

Great chapter, and very nice look at Komamura clan´s history. Very sad that Komamura went down the revenge road against his own advice. Komamura should redeem himself before he dies.

one piece

This is boring me. We finally see Daflamingo and Law fight for Law to last 2 seconds. He is not dead, until we read his sappy back story like everyone else in this manga. At least i hope to see the SH, all of them go full out on their enemies this time. I hope Nami and Robin actually do something, instead of being useless.

Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata 7

How does one start with a happy hilarious chapter but then give us massive animal fighting animal and said ending. 8 needs to hurry because I cant take a sad fate for the brothers.

TheChits

One Piece
I can't freaking wait to see Zoro go all out on someone. I wonder who he is gonna get matched up against.
I know it isn't happening, but Zoro vs. Dofla makes sense to me and would be rad

Wiseblade

Ultimate Spider-Man vol 18

I say "vol 18", but really this is just about one chapter. The rest of the volume is a middling story about Spidey, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist and Moon Knight teaming up to take down the Kingpin (spoiler: they succeed in spite of themselves). The chapter I really want to discuss is the last one, chapter 111.

Basically, over the course of the last volume, Aunt May discovers that Peter is the Webbed Wonder and this is the first chance they get to really talk about it. And it's beautiful. Peter finally gets to talk about all the guilt he feels for Uncle Ben's death and May gets an explanation for Peter's irrational behaviour. And it ends on a very rare happy note for Spider-Man. Peter gets acceptance from the person he needed it from most and repairs a relationship that was at breaking point in a single conversation.

Life isn't perfect; the mutant ex - girlfriend Kitty Pryde is still bitter, Nick Fury is still a pain and there are still a hundred and one Super Freaks out to squash the bug. But at least he's on good terms with the two most important people in the world to him at the same time. And that's a start.

Wiseblade

one piece

This is boring me. We finally see Daflamingo and Law fight for Law to last 2 seconds. He is not dead, until we read his sappy back story like everyone else in this manga. At least i hope to see the SH, all of them go full out on their enemies this time. I hope Nami and Robin actually do something, instead of being useless.
That's not how One Piece works. Oda didn't cover Ace's backstory until after he died and has yet to give a proper Whitebeard flashback.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The next two weeks are going to be "Team Law Lives" and "Team Law is Dead". Hoo boy.

Roastbeef

Banned
One Piece
Tune in next time to see how Law used Room on the bullets changing them with marshmallows

QFT

i mean cmon, if he were to stay dead... would the guy whose powers can cut a building from miles away and randomly cut off an über-giant's leg bust out a gun to finish him? and then not even shoot his head?

it would be extremely atypical for this to be his actual end.

American Ghost Jack 1-3
Sort of scary. Even the lead looks creepy. It seems everybody whose staying in this house had a dark past. That thing they showed in the first chapter was creepy. It seems it will get actually scary soon

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";90623673]I liked the werewolf thing in bleach. Too bad it was only a couple chapters.[/QUOTE]

Now he's just a dog, I guess. But its a manga, I bet he's going to get fixed before the end.

[Fugo]

Toriko raw spoilers

Neo organisation has decimated the shichibukai and it shows a lot of the shishibukai are members of Neo. Neo seems unstoppable.

I think you mixed up names with One Piece :p

I was quite surprised to see THAT many prominent bishokukai members belonging in NEO. I wonder if Midora or Alfaro ever suspected something. What kind of poison time-bomb did Coco set into Grinpatch? seems like he used up ALL of his poison.
WTF is that spaceship. I can't really guess where the story is going now

I'm loving it

Bleach
back to being an underdog, I guess

One Piece
really nice chapter. But hiatus at this point is irritating

Brah isn't dead. We will find out a few chapters from now after Luffy goes on a rampage that all of Dressrosa is jnder Law's room and he will use Chambres.

Soul Catchers is in the middle of Jump!!!!! Its ghe only successful series that Jump launched this year!!!!

ryan13ts

One Piece is not on hiatus. Shonen Jump's new year begins next week so it's only a one week break.

I swear I just heard angels singing somewhere. Seriously, 6-7 week haitus would send me into a coma.

What an awesome chapter and cliffhanger though. Poor Law, I swear he would have done better against Doffy, but looks like the little master handed Law his ass to him. Am I the only one though that just wondered why Law didn't use Room and slice Doflamingo in half right off the bat? Beating someone even on Doflamingo's calibur doesn't seem like it would be too hard with an ability like his.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I swear I just heard angels singing somewhere. Seriously, 6-7 week haitus would send me into a coma.

What an awesome chapter and cliffhanger though. Poor Law, I swear he would have done better against Doffy, but looks like the little master handed Law his ass to him. Am I the only one though that just wondered why Law didn't use Room and slice Doflamingo in half right off the bat? Beating someone even on Doflamingo's calibur doesn't seem like it would be too hard with an ability like his.

Donfamingo was probably using Haki to counter that

Wiseblade

Haki, bro.
Donfamingo was probably using Haki to counter that
Yeah, it was pretty much made to counter situations like that one. same thing with why Doflamingo doesn't just make everyone commit suicide with his strings.

Beam confused OP with Bleach.

Not in a million years.

Oh wow...that actually makes sense.

I don´t confuse anything, and you two should stop being butthurt over people not sharing the same opinion as you.

Now he's just a dog, I guess. But its a manga, I bet he's going to get fixed before the end.

I think that Komamura will have redemption before he dies. Redemption as in put revenge behind him and somehow regain his heart (metaphorically speaking) as in abandoning revenge and gaining his values, and follow his own philosophy.

Aww yes. I hope he gets more panel time.
She.
It´s really disappointing how little role she played in this story. I hope that she gets a more prominent role in the upcoming arcs

Wiseblade

Not in a million years.

I don´t confuse anything, and you two should stop being butthurt over people not sharing the same opinion as you.

differing opinions are one thing, but you were wrong about actual facts. I really should be impressed you manage to be so defensive when you don't have a leg to stand on.

Kreed

One Piece 729:

That's not how One Piece works. Oda didn't cover Ace's backstory until after he died and has yet to give a proper Whitebeard flashback.

Law's history with Doflamingo =/= Law's entire backstory as a pirate. Oda has been leading up to a big reveal behind Law's current actions against Doflamingo that got us to this point in the story with him being shot. It will be irrelevant and a disservice to the reader to reveal these details about his history with Doflamingo at a later point other during this arc where Doflamingo will be taken down (the peak of both their active story lines). Even if it's "on Law's death bed" with him telling Luffy right before he passes, this information will be revealed before Law bites the bullet.

Law could die and have left a letter in case he dies to be plot exposition that he gave to one of his crew or left on the Strawhats ship. I don't think Law will die from that but to say he won't die because Luffy and co need to hear his back story isn't accurate either. Heck he could die Vegeta style telling Luffy something important before getting hit by Dofla again.

The possibilities are endless

Wiseblade

One Piece 729:

Law's history with Doflamingo =/= Law's entire backstory as a pirate. Oda has been leading up to a big reveal behind Law's current actions against Doflamingo that got us to this point in the story with him being shot. It will be irrelevant and a disservice to the reader to reveal these details about his history with Doflamingo at a later point other during this arc where Doflamingo will be taken down (the peak of both their active story lines). Even if it's "on Law's death bed" with him telling Luffy right before he passes, this information will be revealed before Law bites the bullet.

that's not what this was about. Beam made the claim that Law couldn't die since he hasn't had a flashback yet. Except neither death in OP were preceeded by a backstory to flesh out the dying character. Law will almost certainly get a flashback this arc. But that doesn't mean he's going to die.

upandaway

One Piece

I was wondering what could possibly happen to make you guys repeat saying "law dies" and discussing spoilers without any tags or a bolded header for like 3 pages straight, but ya'll are nuts. You will know when Law dies, whether it's a chapter titled "Law Dies" or you see a million spectators screaming "Law just died!!" or what have you, it will be obvious and clear cut. I'm kinda weirded out that it had the kind of reaction that it did as spoilers, even if you didn't see the exact context as the chapter showed. Ahem. Anyways!

Franky told it how it was, it's good that they're officially fighting for the good guys now instead of just following Law's plan. They're kinda to blame for this too if you count triggering the Dwarves' plans by making Mango step down, so it's only right.

By the way to the above (looking at you, Wise-man), Haki doesn't make someone immune to Law's Room (see Vergo). The problem was that Mango was too strong and fast for Law to do anything in the Room. He still has to cut him or it won't work. You can see him trying to do the move he used to take out Smoker's heart, it didn't work.

Wiseblade

One Piece

I was wondering what could possibly happen to make you guys repeat saying "law dies" and discussing spoilers without any tags or a bolded header for like 3 pages straight, but ya'll are nuts. You will know when Law dies, whether it's a chapter titled "Law Dies" or you see a million spectators screaming "Law just died!!" or what have you, it will be obvious and clear cut. I'm kinda weirded out that it had the kind of reaction that it did as spoilers, even if you didn't see the exact context as the chapter showed. Ahem. Anyways!

Franky told it how it was, it's good that they're officially fighting for the good guys now instead of just following Law's plan. They're kinda to blame for this too if you count triggering the Dwarves' plans by making Mango step down, so it's only right.

By the way to the above (looking at you, Wise-man), Haki doesn't make someone immune to Law's Room (see Vergo). The problem was that Mango was too strong and fast for Law to do anything in the Room. He still has to cut him or it won't work. You can see him trying to do the move he used to take out Smoker's heart, it didn't work.
B-but Haki!

I'm glad Haki hasn't turned into a cheap way for oda to write himself out of corners... yet.

daveo42

Banned
that's not what this was about. Beam made the claim that Law couldn't die since he hasn't had a flashback yet. Except neither death in OP were preceeded by a backstory to flesh out the dying character. Law will almost certainly get a flashback this arc. But that doesn't mean he's going to die.

He also misses the main point that OP is about the SH crew and the stuff they get into. We didn't need there to be a chapter solely devoted to Law and Mango going all out (hence the Bleach comment) just because it'd probably look cool. Even if the manga could use a bit of editing here and there, most of the time the fights not involving the SHs directly have another story component attached to them and aren't there just because full-page spreads and endless power one-ups (cough Bleach cough).

The backstory bit and character death comments are also spot on since its usually a big deal with a character dies in any shounen manga since it happens so rarely. Having a backstory preceding the death of a character isn't even really Oda's style and is usually used to help gain support for actions those characters do later in the arc.

differing opinions are one thing, but you were wrong about actual facts. I really should be impressed you manage to be so defensive when you don't have a leg to stand on.
Dead people having flashback is the dumbest thing ever. Telling Law´s back story and why he wants Daflamingo dead would have been better leading up to this, and on their way to Dressrosa. At least from a reader perpective one would know why Law have hates Daflamingo and roots for Law to win. That would have more emotional impact than after Law dies without any emotional attachment to him whatsoever.And Whitebeard falshback right or later would be without any impact on me as a reader. I have both legs on the ground especially since Nami/Robin/etc... showed their flashbacks without dying. What you say is not factual whatsoever.
One Piece 729:

. It would be very ridiculous to know the whole back story about WB after 3 years of his death. And much like the back story of the mermaid queen. I did not feel sympathy for her or her cause at all. It had zero impact on me as a reader.

He also misses the main point that OP is about the SH crew and the stuff they get into. We didn't need there to be a chapter solely devoted to Law and Mango going all out (hence the Bleach comment) just because it'd probably look cool. Even if the manga could use a bit of editing here and there, most of the time the fights not involving the SHs directly have another story component attached to them and aren't there just because full-page spreads and endless power one-ups (cough Bleach cough).

The backstory bit and character death comments are also spot on since its usually a big deal with a character dies in any shounen manga since it happens so rarely. Having a backstory preceding the death of a character isn't even really Oda's style and is usually used to help gain support for actions those characters do later in the arc.
In this post character development is bad lol.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Of course law's not dead, come on. There's so much more room for him in the overall plot. Died half-heartedly during a brief skirmish halfway through an arc? Yeah okay.

Stupid question: why does everyone call PV Beam? Did he have a different username before I started frequenting this thread?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course law's not dead, come on. There's so much more room for him in the overall plot. Died half-heartedly during a brief skirmish halfway through an arc? Yeah okay.

Stupid question: why does everyone call PV Beam? Did he have a different username before I started frequenting this thread?

His username used to be Beam.

G.ZZZ

Uchuu Toriko 258

So now we got confirmation that we will go into space to the farthest land, and we got even one more hint that nitros are alien since Acacia said that he needed them to go there, meaning it's probably their home planet which they left for some reasons. This is gonna get to DBZ level of powers love it. Need 259 now ZZZ

daveo42

Banned
In this post character development is bad lol.

So we need giant flashy battles to help flesh out characters then? That's something else Bleach does well.

My point was that a fight between Mango and Law would have been largely unnecessary other than to eat up time. There's zero reason why Law would need to explain his backstory to DF, since it seems pretty clear to me that he knows what happened to piss off Law. Thematically, it also makes sense as Law was already on the ropes after fighting DF and a Marine Admiral at the same time.

Speaking about Toriko, it is really disheartening how Terry was sidelined like that. I really hope that she has gets more screen time in the future.

So we need giant flashy battles to help flesh out characters then? That's something else Bleach does well.

My point was that a fight between Mango and Law would have been largely unnecessary other than to eat up time. There's zero reason why Law would need to explain his backstory to DF, since it seems pretty clear to me that he knows what happened to piss off Law. Thematically, it also makes sense as Law was already on the ropes after fighting DF and a Marine Admiral at the same time.

No, we need to concentrate on the same boring character having no development at all, except Usoppe, while side character who take plenty of panel time would be just useless filler characters that contribute nothing to the story. Bleach fleshes out character by battling, and i would rather have more characters fleshed out than the same characters doing the same thing that they have done for 729 chapters. No, it does not make sense that Law does not delve into his back story so the readers would know why is he fighting Deflamingo in the first place. I as a reader need to know why Law is doing what he is doing before he does it, and if i should root for him or not. Having a flashback after death would not have same impact, because Law would be already dead. Which he is not btw. This fight could have fleshed Law much more instead of being a cut-board one dimensional character.

Yeah, it´s not like Komamura had to go to his grandfather to ask him for the ritual, and it´s not like his grandfather in this chapter explain Komamura´s clan or anything. It´s not like Komamura told Tousen to abandon revenge, while Komamura took the revenge route himself, against his own philosophy, and principles which left him in this condition, but no all that did not happen and it´s just giant flashy battles lololol.

Akito

Tripeace v2
iV8ksQWli9rtR.jpg
Bewds
Nana and Shiro are quite cute together. Also I was under the impression that Tripeace consists of a few individuals rather than being a huge-ass organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom