• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bleach

Haha, praising Nanao, then crushing her confidence for not sharing her kido. Urahara always comes up with a solution, it´s not surprising.

one piece

Sanji vs. Daflamingo should be interesting and short. I don´t think that Sanji can last 2 minutes against him.
Violet can see 4000 km in every direction then she can easily find one piece.

How so? She can see through any birds in the area within a 4000km apparently. Who says there is even any wildlife on Raftel?

Kusagari

One Piece

Sanji vs. Doflamingo should be interesting if it actually happens.

Bleach

Hitsu and Soifon aren't dead, no matter what Mayuri's reiatsu indicator says, and Urahara comes out of nowhere with the save.

Naruto

Another boring drawn out chapter where everyone in the alliance fawns over how awesome Naruto is.

Articalys

One Piece

This arc just keeps getting better now.

I think there were two other new chapters from WSJ series today, but they're not worth mentioning.

As for the "they went on a mission together," they're mercenaries. There isn't any reason to believe they had any greater comraderie than Naruto had with anyone else, unless there's a lot of chumming around that's occurring offscreen. Sure, I guess Shikamaru was sort of nice to him when Jiriaya died, but I don't think that makes them like best beds unless, again, a lot of their friendship is offscreen stuff.

They are not mercenaries though because they both serve the village. They are more like regular army that serves the villages economic and military interest, and get paid to do so. I did not say best buds, but sharing the same experience bring people closer together.

How so? She can see through any birds in the area within a 4000km apparently. Who says there is even any wildlife on Raftel?

Raffel could be an isolated island with no birds in it or it could be close to other islands which have many birds that she can use to find one piece. 4000 km is a really massive area, so even if Raffel is isolated 4000 km reach is pretty far. Even isolated island cannot exist far from everything or how would Roger and his crew arrived there if they did not get supplies within 4000 km range on the way to the island?

Wiseblade

Naruto
I'm in no rush to read how much Naruto reminds everyone of Hashirama. This can wait until Monday.

One Piece
These tears... why won't they stop?

Even though the perspective jumped around a bunch, there was a much better flow between them than usual and some decent plot progression overall.

Naruto 649
Naruto is awesome, man. He's so cool. I wanna be his friend too.

Bleach 551
Obvious stomp. Though I did enjoy the remark about Nanao's short-sightedness. Mayuri is smug as usual.

One Piece 723
4000 km is really far. Story is progressing at a good pace. Though, I feel that Sanji is going to get worfed just to show how powerful Doflamingo is. I'm really liking this Bart character.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As for the "they went on a mission together," they're mercenaries. There isn't any reason to believe they had any greater comraderie than Naruto had with anyone else, unless there's a lot of chumming around that's occurring offscreen. Sure, I guess Shikamaru was sort of nice to him when Jiriaya died, but I don't think that makes them like best beds unless, again, a lot of their friendship is offscreen stuff.

I feel like a lot of stuff like that in Naruto happens off-screen.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: E
volving Grade

I will edit this as I read

Page 1: i thought tsunade got killed by madara

page 2/3: wait who are they

page 7: wait what

page 8: wait so shikamaru died? I don't remember that. i would have been angry about that

page 10: nope.

So was it ever explained why Luffy switches on and off his gear 2nd during battles now? I remember Lucci said "this ability will shorten your lifespan" and yet Luffy uses it like 3 times each battle. He literally switches to gear 2nd throws 1 punch, switch back, switches back into gear 2nd to do a bazooka, and then switches back.

I know post-timeskip Luffy would use Gear 2nd and would stay like it during a whole battle, or at least during most of it. Is haki doing this, did someone tell him that he should use it in small bursts, or does this not matter and I'm thinking about this too much?

I don't know why this bugs me so much but it just does everytime I see him switch back and forth so fast. It's almost like all that talk of Lucci explaining it to be like seroids/adrenaline/life-spans doesn't matter now.

Naruto: Let me guess. Kakashi will warp back in the next chapter and will have everything explained to him and he'll have a deja vu about how Naruto is similar to somebody else and Kakashi wants to be his BFF sensei. Then there'll be a speech about oneness and teamwork. Setup for another chapter!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Excluding KNIM which is obviously the author deliberatly trolling, has any other finale been dragged out this long and pointlessly?

I had a dream the other night that I warped one year in the future and people were still asking if Naruto was going to end any time soon.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So was it ever explained why Luffy switches on and off his gear 2nd during battles now? I remember Lucci said "this ability will shorten your lifespan" and yet Luffy uses it like 3 times each battle. He literally switches to gear 2nd throws 1 punch, switch back, switches back into gear 2nd to do a bazooka, and then switches back.

I know post-timeskip Luffy would use Gear 2nd and would stay like it during a whole battle, or at least during most of it. Is haki doing this, did someone tell him that he should use it in small bursts, or does this not matter and I'm thinking about this too much?

I don't know why this bugs me so much but it just does everytime I see him switch back and forth so fast. It's almost like all that talk of Lucci explaining it to be like seroids/adrenaline/life-spans doesn't matter now.

It's just a tiring/damaging form to be in. Blood all extra-rushin and shit. Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't. Just a more intelligent usage pattern, gleamed during his training.

upandaway

I doubt it has anything to do with haki, probably just a technique. Sanji can get the fire leg on instantly now too.

At least going off of the original explanation, it shouldn't be impossible for it to be an instant thing (rather, that makes more sense, I think?). It's definitely because of the whole life-shortening thing, it was a major problem of Gear 2nd and they talked about it all the time. Makes sense that he'd use his 2 years to fix it.

As far as naruto goes, I feel this is being written with the anime in consideration. The last 4-5 chapters will probably be one episode. I also don't see this as the finale.

It's just a tiring/damaging form to be in. Blood all extra-rushin and shit. Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't. Just a more intelligent usage pattern, gleamed during his training.

I doubt it has anything to do with haki, probably just a technique. Sanji can get the fire leg on instantly now too.

At least going off of the original explanation, it shouldn't be impossible for it to be an instant thing (rather, that makes more sense, I think?). It's definitely because of the whole life-shortening thing, it was a major problem of Gear 2nd and they talked about it all the time. Makes sense that he'd use his 2 years to fix it.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I always found it weird how he was just switching it on/off all of a sudden without much explanation from the show.

Also I came across some info after looking around, and I totally forgot that Luffy has the ability to use gear 2nd in certain body parts. It mostly says that in the manga he turns certain body parts into gear 2nd, but in the anime they don't do that and instead just makes his whole body go gear 2nd. I had forgotten he could do that because of the anime.

My Girl 1-44 (END)

I could harvest all the trees from Thetford Forest and they would still collectively contain less sap than this series. Overall it was a more entertaining variant of Usagi Drop, and I have to give it credit for actually compelling me to finish it despite it being very un-relevant to my interests.

GodSeeker 1

Swords ‘n’ sorcery series set in a world where everyone is able to use magic (albeit to greatly varying degrees), starring a capricious lord of a small region, his WMD little sister and a kind-hearted boy seemingly without any magical prowess (lol).

UdY53QW.png

Gotta be honest, the main reason I'm interested in this is because of visually impaired nuke-chan. Will follow to see how many craters she makes by the end.

G.ZZZ

One Piece

I'm calling it, Sanji will win. Not a clear victory, something more like "he's good and then he save his friends and escape". He deserve some spotlight again, it's been too long.

Toriko

This will be awesome.

Naruto

Please just end this manga already.

Bleach

2 fingers at once, will he go up to 3 next!

One Piece

I'm betting Doflamingo doesn't have any DF power - which will be revealed when Sanji+Law manages to kick him into the ocean.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I feel like a lot of stuff like that in Naruto happens off-screen.

I feel like part of the problem is that there's a very poor sense of time passage, growth, as well as context in Naruto.

We see Naruto graduate from the academy, and we see team 7 struggle to do anything of assistance with the bridge builder because all they can do is throw shurikens and kunais and do basic clones (outside of the prodigy sasuke, who has mastered a fireball jutsu). It pales in comparison to the weather/climate altering moves of kakashi, haku, and zabuza. A visually blinding fog, water dragons, water current manipulated to form a paralyzing sphere around someone's body, hypnosis, phase shifting, blades made out of pure electricity, and strings of 3 or 4 attacks each meant to deceive or trick the enemy, we can clearly see that there's tons of room for growth.

But then we immediatelygo to the Chunin Exams. We go from their first mission as novice ninjas to taking the exams to go to Chunin (and there's, what, three ranks of Ninja? Jonin, Chunin, Genin) level, like, 3 months later. And they don't just take the exams, they, and all the other rookies, are essentially the only finalists. And then we see what appears to be a huge power crawl with Neji, Rock Lee, Gaara, Shino, and most of the sound village ninjas. Then, suddenly, a few weeks of training and Naruto and Sasuke have high level jutsus and summons, as well.

So we've got a bunch of rookie genin that suddenly seem to have speed, power, and jutsus rivaling the elites, yet almost none of them graduate to chunin level.

Then we have the sasuke defection/retrieval that occurs shortly after that, and all these genin and the rookie chunin shikamaru take out the elite sound ninja 4 who were able to best some of the jonin.

Then we have the timeskip and pretty much everyone seems the same.

It's like, wtf happened? When did the character growth occur early on? And why was there no change at all for anyone during the timeskip (except for like Sasuke and Gaara, who are now 2 of the most powerful ninja on the planet), yet Kakashi's now getting his ass kicked pretty easily in a 2 on 1 handicap match even though Naruto and Sakura aren't all that different? And even though everyone else seems the same, they're all chunin or jonin-level at the start of the timeskip.

There's no sense of gaps being created, destroyed, widened, or narrowed in power between characters, they just sort of, well, appear. The progression in strength is sporadic. And the affairs of people outside of the leaf village aren't explored, even though they're tantamount to the main arc. And yet, after the timeskip, we almost exclusively deal in conflicts with guys who can kick the ass of any kages or living legends like Jiraiya and Kakashi.

It's just very poor world and character building in a really compelling world with really compelling characters.

One Piece
The 4000km distance is most likely a mistake on Oda part.
I won't be surprise if it changes in the vols just like what happen to the distance that hody attack changed.

I feel like part of the problem is that there's a very poor sense of time passage, growth, as well as context in Naruto.

We see Naruto graduate from the academy, and we see team 7 struggle to do anything of assistance with the bridge builder because all they can do is throw shurikens and kunais and do basic clones (outside of the prodigy sasuke, who has mastered a fireball jutsu). It pales in comparison to the weather/climate altering moves of kakashi, haku, and zabuza. ]A visually blinding fog, water dragons, water current manipulated to form a paralyzing sphere around someone's body, hypnosis, phase shifting, blades made out of pure electricity, and strings of 3 or 4 attacks each meant to deceive or trick the enemy, we can clearly see that there's tons of room for growth.

But then we immediatelygo to the Chunin Exams. We go from their first mission as novice ninjas to taking the exams to go to Chunin (and there's, what, three ranks of Ninja? Jonin, Chunin, Genin) level, like, 3 months later. And they don't just take the exams, they, and all the other rookies, are essentially the only finalists. And then we see what appears to be a huge power crawl with Neji, Rock Lee, Gaara, Shino, and most of the sound village ninjas. Then, suddenly, a few weeks of training and Naruto and Sasuke have high level jutsus and summons, as well.

So we've got a bunch of rookie genin that suddenly seem to have speed, power, and jutsus rivaling the elites, yet almost none of them graduate to chunin level.

Then we have the sasuke defection/retrieval that occurs shortly after that, and all these genin and the rookie chunin shikamaru take out the elite sound ninja 4 who were able to best some of the jonin.

Then we have the timeskip and pretty much everyone seems the same.

It's like, wtf happened? When did the character growth occur early on? And why was there no change at all for anyone during the timeskip (except for like Sasuke and Gaara, who are now 2 of the most powerful ninja on the planet), yet Kakashi's now getting his ass kicked pretty easily in a 2 on 1 handicap match even though Naruto and Sakura aren't all that different? And even though everyone else seems the same, they're all chunin or jonin-level at the start of the timeskip.

There's no sense of gaps being created, destroyed, widened, or narrowed in power between characters, they just sort of, well, appear. The progression in strength is sporadic. And the affairs of people outside of the leaf village aren't explored, even though they're tantamount to the main arc. And yet, after the timeskip, we almost exclusively deal in conflicts with guys who can kick the ass of any kages or living legends like Jiraiya and Kakashi.

It's just very poor world and character building in a really compelling world with really compelling characters.
IDK man, it seemed like a pretty stead crawl for me. But this is from someone that was anime only and started shippuden well into the story.

Naruto

Geez, how many inspirational speeches and bouts of stalling have there been in just this one battle? I can hardly think of any other point in Naruto that was this insultingly boring (in consideration of Part 2, that's saying a lot).

Bleach

Nanao: I was appointed as vice-captain just for my skill with Kido.

Oh, really? Shame Kubo forgot to draw you in the Winter War. I'm sure Aizen would've trolled you just fine.

One Piece

Awesome shit. Hopefully this fight won't be cut short like Sanji vs Vergo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
IDK man, it seemed like a pretty stead crawl for me. But this is from someone that was anime only and started shippuden well into the story.

Dude, compare Gaara vs Rock Lee to Kakashi vs Zabuza. And pay attention to the reactions of the jonin that are watching the fight between gaara and lee. It's like they're watching someone faster and more skilled than they are when they watch Lee fight.

Gaara vs Rock Lee is fucking crazy compared to any battle before it. Gaara vs Naruto too.

Dude, compare Gaara vs Rock Lee to Kakashi vs Zabuza. And pay attention to the reactions of the jonin that are watching the fight between gaara and lee. It's like they're watching someone faster and more skilled than they are when they watch Lee fight.

Gaara vs Rock Lee is fucking crazy compared to any battle before it. Gaara vs Naruto too.

Those were good battles but I don't really see your point. When we were introduced to Lee, he was noted as one of the best tai fighters in the village(with Guys insane work ethic), same with Neji. Hell, most every fighter we got introduced to was presented as being way more skilled than Naruto. Until Jiraya came. I honestly can't say it felt like I missed any significant growth from Naruto, pre time skip

One Piece

Now this is what I like to see, Sanji being a bad ass, cool looking characters introduced, and the plot racing towards the ultimate throw down.

Naruto

We get it, Naruto is jesus.

Also good going Kishi, have a female hokage's "gimmick" be that she is female. Fuck off.

Bleach

Call me back when a captain actually dies for real Kubo, you hack.

One Piece

Now that's what I'm talking about! Law had a cool escape, some funny scenes.

Omfg Sanji v.s. Dofla what?!

KageZero

So sanji is recognized by doflamingo as a strong fighter which is a great thing, can't wait for the next chapter. I think that 4000km is an error, maybe it will be corrected to 40km or 400.

I have to assume the 4000 mile distance is a mistake since she says it encompasses the entire island right after. Unless she really can see huge distances and that's why Doflamingo knows what happens all over like when he paid a visit to Bellamy back in Jaya.

Naruto
......ZZZZZZZZZZ....ZZZZZZ.....ZZZZZZ

Bleach
Dang Hitsugaya getting owned! Loved the Urahara interrupt near the end. Also Nanao, you are awesome! A useful female in a shonen manga, who would have guessed, right Kishi?

One Piece
Fuck yeah! Law is a boss! Escaping like that and then Sanji coming in for a showdown with Don.

Violet would be OP in an army vs army fight but kinda useless in other regards. No birds means no vision is one thing.

Akito

Oricon Comic Rankings September 23rd - September 29th

01. 3-Gatsu no Lion #9 (299,145)
02. Magi #18 (117,789 / 429,203)
03. Skip Beat! #33 (113,323 / 245,813)
04. Ohkami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji #7 (102,872)
05. Bakaramon #8 (88,077 / 131,657)
06. Watashi ga Motenai no wa dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! #5 (74,090 / 107,378)
07. 3-Gatsu no Lion Limited Edition #9 (72,360)
08. Principle #7 (68,013)
09. Hibi Chouchou #5 (64,167)
10. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid #10 (48,577)
11. Hirunaka no Ryuusei #7 (48,307)
12. Nijiiro Days #4 (48,145)
13. Neko to Watashi no Kinyoubi #2 (47,987)
14. Gakuen Alice #31 (47,857 / 108,778)
15. Switch Girl!! #23 (47,639)
16. Hachimitsu ni Hatsukoi #5 (46,472)
17. Chihayafuru #22 (45,073 / 323,871)
18. 07-Ghost #17 (43,277)
19. Naruto #66 (42,860 / 964,366)
20. Shinrei Tantei Yakumo #10 (42,459 / 43,994)
21. Shingeki no Kyojin #11 (41,993 / 1,324,211)
22. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (39,675 / 1,815,579)
23. Magi Sinbad no Bouken #1 (39,296 / 184,508)
24. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai #23 (39,225 / 145,072)
25. Boku o Tsutsumu Tsuki no Hikari -Boku Tama Jisedai-hen- #13 (37,858 / 79,388)
26. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (37,634 / 2,232,390)
27. Shingeki no Kyojin #8 (37,590 / 1,840,340)
28. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (37,554 / 1,781,569)
29. Kidou Senshi Gundam-san #10 (37,308 / 38,725)
30. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (36,732 / 2,170,281)
31. Shingeki no Kyoijn #3 (35,977 / 2,115,569)
32. Tenshi 1/2 Houteishiki #4 (35,389 / 77,829)
33. Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver #30 (35,183)
34. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (34,980 / 1,988,302)
35. Kidou Senshi Gundam UC Bande Dessinée #9 (34,835 / 36,269)
36. Kidou Senshi Gundam MSV-R Johnny Raiden no Kikan #7 (34,693 / 36,522)
37. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (34,449 / 1,952,184)
38. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (34,069 / 1,910,745)
39. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (33,887 / 1,837,219)
40. True Love #2 (33,158)
41. Hyouka #5 (32,597)
42. Cuticle Tantei Inaba #12 (32,451)
43. Ayakashi Hisen #10 (31,878)
44. Ousama Game Shuukyoku #3 (31,306)
45. Sakura no Hana no Koucha Ouji #1 (30,123 / 61,727)
46. Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi #53 (29,848 / 100,792)
47. Zone-00 #11 (28,637 / 29,983)
48. Hayate no Gotoku! #38 (27,782 / 89,470)
49. L♥DK #13 (27,316 / 149,827)
50. Itoshi no Muuko #4 (25,336 / 49,517)

It's criminal that there is still no sign of a 3-Gatsu no Lion anime, Japan what you are doing?

Amikami

Banned
Naruto

F for Fuck this chapter. WE GET IT! stop the speeches. Stop the motivation friendship teamwork shit. Stop sucking Naruto's d*** with this over-dramatized comparison crap, and get on with the show! This is really getting unbearable. I wouldn't mind going back to "You let Rin die." over and over to escape this.

How many chapters have we spent on this very subject???

*sigh* I think this chapter was my limit. I'm taking a break to let some chapter build up. That's my solution when things get like this. If I hear it finally gets interesting, then I'll take the time to read and catch up...

Dresden

It's criminal that there is still no sign of a 3-Gatsu no Lion anime, Japan what you are doing?

It'll probably get a live action drama before any anime announcement. :/

Still holding out for the noitamina dream block with March Lion and Prison School.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He might as well have not even written a chapter. Nothing happened except a bunch of people mentally masturbated to how cool Naruto is. I heard that annoying sentimental music theme they use in the anime when people make stupid speeches over all of it. Even worse, Kishi put a flashback to Shikamaru talking about Naruto, which means when the anime gets here, it will show all of that entire episode's content as a flashback plus every other interaction Shikamaru has ever had with Naruto.

Mr. Fix

OP

Nice to see a confirmation on Fuji having a Gravity-based fruit. If we take Kizaru's Light ability into account, what would that make Ryo? A time-based user?

Sanji should be able to buy a bit more time, but again, there's still the damage Vergo had done to him earlier. Still though, it's cool to see Sanji up against one of the biggies, even if it's just for a short while.

Tamanon

Banned
Bleach

I liked that someone finally called out a soul reaper for making up a new technique and not telling others who it could help. Although surprised it was Nanao, guess we finally see why she's around. Hope Hitsugaya's really dead, but I suspect not, especially now that the guy that stole his bankai is fighitng him.

Naruto

Meh. Everyone all happy and Shikimaru back. Kinda a quick reversal of the previous chapter. All for the sake of unity. Will be really weird when they go back to infighting after this fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom