• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Let's see, aside Ancient Magus Bride, that's ongoing:
  • All Rounder Meguru
  • Gunka no Baltzer
  • Prison School
  • Shiori Experience
  • Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Vinland Saga
  • MIX
  • Girls & Panzer - Ribbon no Musha
  • Innocent (Rouge)
  • Otoyomegatari
There's way more stuff, this is just off the top of my head. There's probably also plenty of good josei out there as well, but I'm less familiar with those. Just cause we're clueless fucks who can't read Japanese, that doesn't mean there's not a good amount of great manga being serialized at the moment.

But if WSJ ToC is your measuring stick for quality of manga in Japan, you only have your bad taste to blame.

DTL told you all about Black Clover and you didn't listen. Fools!

DTL wins in the end

Chapter 7, when Noelle first managed to control her magic and Asta had seemingly defeated Zabuza mist guy

oh when it became Naruto, lol

Then again, isn't this the first ranking?

This is complete bullshit, holy shit! I would understand if the series was decent but it's complete generic cliched trash. The stuff in it is not even subtle, I mean the author loves forcing shit like showing how stupid the MC is multiple times.

How low Jump has fallen.😒

it literally sounds like you haven't read past the first few chapters, wwwwwwwwwwww

Shengar

• All Rounder Meguru
  • Gunka no Baltzer
  • Prison School
  • Shiori Experience
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Vinland Saga
  • MIX
  • Innocent (Rouge)
  • Otoyomegatari
There's way more stuff, this is just off the top of my head. There's probably also plenty of good josei out there as well, but I'm less familiar with those. Just cause we're clueless fucks who can't read Japanese, that doesn't mean there's not a good amount of great manga being serialized at the moment.

But if WSJ ToC is your measuring stick for quality of manga in Japan, you only have your bad taste to blame.
Well said, though with the selection of mangas within Jump right now I expect them to choose much better.

bigkrev

JUMP TOC

01 - Black Clover

Cover: World Trigger
Color Pages: Devilyman, Boku no Hero Academia, Lady Justice
Not Ranked: The Dance Manga
Absent: Hiatus x Hiatus

Source: MH

Wtf Black Clover?

Not freaking out till next week (assuming it sticks in the top 3 or 4), but holy shit what is going on

Naruto 700+5

Wow Sasuke guess you never learned how not to be a total asshole.

Here it comes boys, NINJA ALIENS. There was a reason Kaguya was building an army to take over nothing because she already took it all over. Or we could just bring back old villains, that's been going well for the last few years

Bleach 628

Woah, Kubo remembered the cat thing? Props to him!

One Piece 788

I wonder if this last minute can be stretched a full chapter

And why is Fujitora so useless? You are an admiral, dude. In Doflamingo's weakened state Akainu, Kizaru or Aokiji would have been able to beat him easily. What are you doing?

Zweizer

Banned
  • All Rounder Meguru
  • Gunka no Baltzer
  • Prison School
  • Shiori Experience
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Vinland Saga
  • MIX
  • Innocent (Rouge)
  • Otoyomegatari

Pretty much. Even shonen's going great with Keijo and Tsugumomo.

Naruto 700+5

Wow Sasuke guess you never learned how not to be a total asshole.

Here it comes boys, NINJA ALIENS. There was a reason Kaguya was building an army to take over nothing because she already took it all over. Or we could just bring back old villains, that's been going well for the last few years

Bleach 628

Woah, Kubo remembered the cat thing? Props to him!

One Piece 788

I wonder if this last minute can be stretched a full chapter

And why is Fujitora so useless? You are an admiral, dude. In Doflamingo's weakened state Akainu, Kizaru or Aokiji would have been able to beat him easily. What are you doing?
Pretty sure Fuji is intentionally not being the one to take out doflamingo

• All Rounder Meguru
  • Gunka no Baltzer
  • Prison School
  • Shiori Experience
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Vinland Saga
  • MIX
  • Innocent (Rouge)
  • Otoyomegatari

I was just joking I know that there are many great ongoing manga in other Magazines.

But yeah nice list.

Not freaking out till next week (assuming it sticks in the top 3 or 4), but holy shit what is going on

BLack Clover is getting a colour page next week

Love its continuing fan support.
CGGwjO9WEAATkzI.jpg:large

Pretty sure Fuji is intentionally not being the one to take out doflamingo

Say what you will about Akainu but he would leap at the chance to kill Doflamingo with an opening like this.

He already didn't want to tussle with Aokiji. He probably knows he can't fight the admirals, even if Fujitora is the weakest of them.

bobohoro

Final streatch, let's go!

KNIM 251-255

A long-distance relationship is not going to work if you see each other ever weekend and travel 650km for it. Like, what? Be reasonable people.

And now, chapter by chapter:

Yoooo hey, eternal love and stuff, then you break up over your first real roadbump? Get a grip you two. And how the hell do you break up while getting on a bullet train? Psssss.

Haruto used work recovery. It was pretty efficient.
Now do that threesome thingy with Adachi and Yamazaki, no holding back anymore!

Akari/Takashi really do make for better chapters. And I mean, I get the reason for breaking up, but you would think they could go about it in a more mature way. Like, talk about it? Not break up in the spur of the moment and never see each other again because the train took off?

Well, who am I kidding...

Who would have guessed that he would transfer to Tokyo at some point? Nooooo way.
I hope he's feeling silly now for not at least trying to get that relationship thingy going a bit longer. Would be fun if Yuzuki has gotten herself another man by now, or something similary devastating. But alas, we only have 2 more chapters and a happy end to get. Boooring.

Haha, of course. Dude dumped you on a train platform, if you're unlucky you could've even dropped down the rails and got run over because of the sudden shock, but you still waited nearly two years anyway, without a word. These two are way to forgiving to each other while ticking off all the other people around 'em.

But if Haruto ever forgets a simple promise to go shopping with Yuzuki again, like he did back then when he was all about that cooking, she'll go into hiding for days until he jumps of the tallest building I guess.

Dumb.

261 END

Well, I guess that's the way it had to end, right?
And Asuka was never shown with another man. Pft.

Well, that's a wrap, thanks MangaGAF for keeping me company in these dark times. Overall, Kimi No Iru Machi wasn't even that bad. There were some good parts, like the Kazama Arc and some of the side character stories later on, even Haruto was a kinda decent MC for half of the story. What ultimately killed it for me was the rather ugly break-up with Asuka to be with a woman that always played around, was selfish and never truly trusted Haruto. Even Yuzuki herself seemed to admit that plottwist was junk, since she turned into a lesser version of Asuka during her time as the girlfriend.

LeleSocho

Banned
really? o_O

the more you know

It's a recurring theme in Toriko using obscure creatures with peculiar abilities as reference point but powered up thousandfold to fit the manga's madness. Very cool.

Naruto 705
The man closest to being a sharingan tank appeared! Can he fulfill the prophecy?

Zweizer

Banned
Well, that's a wrap, thanks MangaGAF for keeping me company in these dark times. Overall, Kimi No Iru Machi wasn't even that bad. There were some good parts, like the Kazama Arc and some of the side character stories later on, even Haruto was a kinda decent MC for half of the story. What ultimately killed it for me was the rather ugly break-up with Asuka to be with a woman that always played around, was selfish and never truly trusted Haruto. Even Yuzuki herself seemed to admit that plottwist was junk, since she turned into a lesser version of Asuka during her time as the girlfriend.

Glad to hear that you at least somewhat enjoyed yourself reading it. I must admit I'm impressed by how composed and analytical you remained during the whole thing.

dani_dc

Final streatch, let's go!

KNIM 251-255

A long-distance relationship is not going to work if you see each other ever weekend and travel 650km for it. Like, what? Be reasonable people.

And now, chapter by chapter:

Yoooo hey, eternal love and stuff, then you break up over your first real roadbump? Get a grip you two. And how the hell do you break up while getting on a bullet train? Psssss.

Haruto used work recovery. It was pretty efficient.
Now do that threesome thingy with Adachi and Yamazaki, no holding back anymore!

Akari/Takashi really do make for better chapters. And I mean, I get the reason for breaking up, but you would think they could go about it in a more mature way. Like, talk about it? Not break up in the spur of the moment and never see each other again because the train took off?

Well, who am I kidding...

Who would have guessed that he would transfer to Tokyo at some point? Nooooo way.
I hope he's feeling silly now for not at least trying to get that relationship thingy going a bit longer. Would be fun if Yuzuki has gotten herself another man by now, or something similary devastating. But alas, we only have 2 more chapters and a happy end to get. Boooring.

Haha, of course. Dude dumped you on a train platform, if you're unlucky you could've even dropped down the rails and got run over because of the sudden shock, but you still waited nearly two years anyway, without a word. These two are way to forgiving to each other while ticking off all the other people around 'em.

But if Haruto ever forgets a simple promise to go shopping with Yuzuki again, like he did back then when he was all about that cooking, she'll go into hiding for days until he jumps of the tallest building I guess.

Dumb.

261 END

Well, I guess that's the way it had to end, right?
And Asuka was never shown with another man. Pft.

The breakup was completely out of character, Haruto spent the last years doing life changing decisions around Yuzuki, he never really cared for a carrer, and suddenly he breaks with her due to his job?
Yeah, not buying it. It really felt like a forced scenario to bring some drama to the story before the happy ending.

261 chapters?
That's even longer than I recalled, I can't believe the majority of the series was the slice of life section.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it, from your impressions I thought you were going to have an overall more negative opinion of it.

bobohoro

Glad to hear that you at least somewhat enjoyed yourself reading it. I must admit I'm impressed by how composed and analytical you remained during the whole thing.

It's because the characters were too flat to care about and most events were over too quick to really unfold into serious drama, so I could read the story more with curios glee than emotional investment. Additionaly I've read shit way worse than that to be shaken by it, I guess.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it, from your impressions I thought you were going to have an overall more negative opinion of it.

I'm a pretty forgiving guy when it comes to entertainment, I can bitch and moan about it and still enjoy stuff and at times even welcome the negative emotions. Rarely does something upset me to the point of dropping and outright hating it, and KNIM was a pretty inoffensive read all in all.

My honest trying-to-be-objective opinion of it would be way worse. The art is ugly, the romance poorly done, the pacing a mess and the only redeeming quality of the manga is the depiction of friendship, both with Kazama/Asuka and Akari/Takashi. Everything else is frankly pretty bad. It's junk food manga. You just have the urge to get this stuff at times, knowing it's bad, experiencing the bland unhealthiness and regretting it deep down afterwards. But you still enjoyed it and will surely come back for more in the future. You can't escape. You don't want to either.

Or I'm just a crazy masochist. Who knows?

Not everyone can have an as great of a breakdown as Costi-kun~

Was that in some older thread? I'm intrigued.

Zweizer

Banned
It's because the characters were too flat to care about and most events were over too quick to really unfold into serious drama, so I could read the story more with curios glee than emotional investment. Additionaly I've read shit way worse than that to be shaken by it, I guess.

Oh, I can definitely understand that.

It's just that it's less fun for us to not see you experience all the RAGE~

Was that in some older thread? I'm intrigued.

It begins here, and the fun part comes around five pages later.

Costi-kun has never been the same after that.

Maou no Hajimekata 3

Our evil lord succesfully "train" the captured heroine into one of his minions.

This chapter was essentially a hentai chapter.

bobohoro

Oh, I can definitely understand that.

It's just that it's less fun for us to not see you experience all the RAGE~

It begins here, and the fun part comes around five pages later.

Costi-kun has never been the same after that.

Thanks, that was a pretty sad flow of events. The poor guy even liked Yuzuki in the beginning. :O
It's especially great how Costi tried to recommend KNIM to newcomers a couple of months later.

And now I feel ashamed for my poor performance at showing my emotions through words. I will do better next time, I still have to reread Nozoki Ana from the beginning some time, stopped at Volume 7 once I think, that was a story that really brought me to tears because I had to hit too much stuff while reading.

That "Bitch, please" face.

Q1GtbVU.png

That "Father, son" resemblance.

imDcLQe.jpg
zdB0Rke.png

I enjoyed seeing those almost as much as seeing Sasuke continuing to prove how much of a shitty dad he is.

Thanks, that was a pretty sad flow of events. The poor guy even liked Yuzuki in the beginning. :O
It's especially great how Costi tried to recommend KNIM to newcomers a couple of months later.

And now I feel ashamed for my poor performance at showing my emotions through words. I will do better next time, I still have to reread Nozoki Ana from the beginning some time, stopped at Volume 7 once I think, that was a story that really brought me to tears because I had to hit too much stuff while reading.

Now go watch School Days :D

Zweizer

Banned

It was crazy to see Costi-kun go full Stockholm Syndrome for a little while, even organizing a Suzuka reading club, which a dozen of us (including myself) were stupid enough to participate, and referring to Seo as MangaGAF Hero Seo Kouji.

Good times.

It was crazy to see Costi-kun go full Stockholm Syndrome for a little while, even organizing a Suzuka reading club, which a dozen of us (including myself) were stupid enough to participate, and referring to Seo as MangaGAF Hero Seo Kouji.

Good times.
That was a hell of a time for me to get acquainted with MangaGAF.

I spared myself from that club, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom