• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendrox

His previous work Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro only ran for 200 chapters, looking at it's sales and general rankings it wasn't axed (the manga generally stayed in the lower half of the rankings, but had strong sales). So don't be surprised if he doesn't try to milk it like Kubo.

Hmm I forgot Nogami Neuro, but Shounen Jump is pushin Assassination Classroom really hard (two live action movies, another anime season, Kuro sensei in a few games already...) I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a Kuro Sensei + the class vs. another Assassins arc is coming

Vito

Banned
Have some covers GAF

81v8nZ08BVL.jpg
61zFjCqs-OL.jpg
71yevr2VjkL.jpg

Girigiri Out 1-3
"The story of a charming girl cursed to need the bathroom whenever she's nervous, and a reclusive boy with a special power that helps her hold it in!"
hG0Ym.gif

bobohoro

It was crazy to see Costi-kun go full Stockholm Syndrome for a little while, even organizing a Suzuka reading club, which a dozen of us (including myself) were stupid enough to participate, and referring to Seo as MangaGAF Hero Seo Kouji.

Good times.

That reads like one silly comedy manga plot synopsis.

Maou No Hajimekata 1

So we go from gory opening to some comedy scenes, abrupt cut to smut and back to some pretty dark gore extermination stuff. Seems interesting.

Scrapping the flesh off Zombies to make them Skeletons, genius!
I already dislike the sound of training her however. Meh.

Meh.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Rin 30

I hope as a result of this, the editor will let Fushimi have free reign the next time he attempts a serialization, instead of forcing him to do ecchi manga.

Usobuko

Banned
Japanese Manga Sales May 18th-24th.

*9. *49,831 *,104,457 Baby Steps Vol.35
22. *32,933 *,*95,639 Tokyo Tarareba-Jou Vol.2
30. *26,972 *,*26,972 Imawa no Kuni no Alice Vol.15
36. *21,650 *,*21,650 The Voynich Hotel Vol.3
39. *19,695 *,*19,695 Innocent Vol.9
50. *17,435 *,108,928 7Seeds Vol.29

Decent effect of anime adaptation for Baby Steps compared to the earlier volumes at around 30k+ 1st week sales. I'm happy for 7 seeds and Alice in Borderland even though these was on par with what they usually sell.

Akiko Higashimura still has a steady number of followers, Tokyo Tarareba-Jou sales pretty in line with Kakukaku Shikajika. I should start on Voynich Hotel now that it's completed, I also have high hopes for Innocent in future.

Akito

Lady Justice c1-2
Otaku bait with medicore art.

Kagamigami c1-2
Seems alright, reminds me a bit of Kekkaishi, it had nothing to keep me interested though.

Ultra Battle Satellite c1-2
Not bad, a brawl manga with serviceable art and a MC with the right attitude. I will wait a few months to see if this has any future though.

Black Clover c1-2
Oh hey, it's Naruto except ninjas are now wizards, how exciting.

Devily Man c1
Not as terrible as the art looks but I can see this setup getting old in like 2 chapters. Not that I'll be around to witness.

Might be time to give My Hero Academia a serious look also.

My Hero Academia 44

I'm actually glad Ingenium didn't actually die, since I had been thinking it would be lame to see him die without even getting to know him and see him interact with Iida. I also like how this chapter works on showing where the characters will go next after everything that happened

Zweizer

Banned
My Hero Academia ch44

I wonder for how long Bakugou is going to stay stagnant character-wise, as pretty much everyone else is progressing in their own way.

Is this by the author of Beck?
How is it?

Different. It has the same kind of 'beat' as Beck, in the sense of the story having highs and lows, and sometimes the story skirts off the beaten path to do its own, seemingly random thing.

I like it, but I find it more difficult to recommend than Beck. Both of them are coming-of-age/underdog stories, but I feel like Beck's moment-to-moment payoffs are stronger than Rin. But the high points of Rin are what you'd expect from the author as well.

How did you find Beck, btw?

Usobuko

Banned
How is it?

Yes and it's pretty good.

It's a tale about a high-school student who aspires to be a mangaka and his life entwined with two 'fated' girls. There's a bit supernatural elements to it despite it's relatively grounded approach.

dani_dc

Different. It has the same kind of 'beat' as Beck, in the sense of the story having highs and lows, and sometimes the story skirts off the beaten path to do its own, seemingly random thing.

I like it, but I find it more difficult to recommend than Beck. Both of them are coming-of-age/underdog stories, but I feel like Beck's moment-to-moment payoffs are stronger than Rin. But the high points of Rin are what you'd expect from the author as well.

Yes and it's pretty good.

It's a tale about a high-school student who aspires to be a mangaka and his life entwined with two 'fated' girls. There's a bit supernatural elements to it despite it's relatively grounded approach.

Ah I see, sounds like something that would be interesting to check, I'll need to note it down.

How did you find Beck, btw?

I overall enjoyed it, I wasn't a fan of all elements of it to be honest, I didn't care for the organized crime sections of the manga, they tended to go too far and take too much focus of more important sides of the story. The romance had that really dumb sections that I already mentioned when I was reading it. And the manga could be a bit predictable at times, particularly with the career of Beck.

But overall it was a good ride.
Excuse the very short thoughts about it (And about mostly focusing on the negative, they're easier to bring up), but I'm rather tired at the moment and it's been a few weeks since I read the manga anyway.

I overall enjoyed it, I wasn't a fan of all elements of it to be honest, I didn't care for the organized crime sections of the manga, they tended to go too far and take too much focus of more important sides of the story. The romance had that really dumb sections that I already mentioned when I was reading it. And the manga could be a bit predictable at times, particularly with the career of Beck.

Rin is very much the same. It has elements of things that you would think "why is this here? Is it really necessary?", and at times do take away focus from the stronger parts of the story.

Well,

I recall the part where one will leads him to ruin whereas the other is the correct choice.

Forgot about that one.

Since well,
it's pretty obvious who the fated, 'fated' fated girl is.

Gintama 543

the dude is going to dodge it

he has to since I want to see a full fledged fight between him and Gintoki..... I can also see this arc ending with everyone retreating and then having a final arc to settle it

BBB is so low for a jump comics.

I wish for Seraph to reappear. It has BLue Exorcist potential. Perhaps a Twin Star Exorcist anime will help it reach that level.

Well considering it was Published in a unknown magazine that's apart of Square Jump it makes sense. I mean it didn't get enough recognition. So the boost its getting right now is great. Plus it gives the anime a higher chance of a season 2.

My Hero Academia ch44

I wonder for how long Bakugou is going to stay stagnant character-wise, as pretty much everyone else is progressing in their own way.

To be fair, Bakugo got major character development much earlier than most of the others, since he developed a lot from the fight with Deku during training

Zweizer

Banned
To be fair, Bakugo got major character development much earlier than most of the others, since he developed a lot from the fight with Deku during training

I'm not sure him just putting a little more thought in the use of his powers can be construed as a major character development. His personality and motivations had barely any changes.

I'm not sure him just putting a little more thought in the use of his powers can be construed as a major character development. His personality and motivations had barely any changes.
Except they did, far more than his use of his powers. Before that fight he was supremely confident that he was the absolute best and was better than everyone else. Losing it (especially to Deku of all people) made him realize he was arrogant and overconfident. On the surface it seems pretty similar, but now his goal is a challenge to himself, rather than an inevitable conclusion. I doubt the Bakugou from the very beginning would've gotten so upset about he won this tournament for example, because he would've seen it as a foregone conclusion. He wouldn't care that Todoroki didn't use his powers to the fullest, since he would've just been sure he would win either way. The reason he's so upset from this fight isn't just because Todoroki didn't take him seriously, it's also because he wanted to prove to everyone, especially himself, that he was the unquestionable number one. He wanted to know that he could beat anyone, no matter what. That's pretty different from how he was at the start where he just assumed he was automatically superior to everyone

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku no hero academia 44
Nice conclusion to the sport festival arc.
"Die you fucking bacteria! die!"
Ok, i'm going to chant this up whenever i brush my teeth.

Raxus

My Hero Academia 44

Art is on point as usual.

I am a little disappointed Iida's brother didn't die to be honest. It would have ratcheted up the stakes considerably from this point on. I guess they are committing to All Might being the first major death in the series. Gravity Girls parents had me grinning from ear to ear when they appeared. Short appearance but it explains a LOT about Ochako. It is nice having parents that aren't terrible people front in center in a manga for once. Everyone got something out of this arc to improve their powers for the future...except Bakugou.

Bakugou may grow to be a problem in the series. He is driven but rather one note. This arc didn't help any besides him getting a pity win. Bakugou needs a kick in the pants in order to initiate his growth and a main conflict with another character to develop his personality. I need more to get a better beat on him. Does he have seeds planted in him to make him a villain later on or is he a hero through and through. Right now he is just an asshole (with a very amusing way of brushing his teeth).

Zweizer

Banned
Except they did, far more than his use of his powers. Before that fight he was supremely confident that he was the absolute best and was better than everyone else. Losing it (especially to Deku of all people) made him realize he was arrogant and overconfident. On the surface it seems pretty similar, but now his goal is a challenge to himself, rather than an inevitable conclusion. I doubt the Bakugou from the very beginning would've gotten so upset about he won this tournament for example, because he would've seen it as a foregone conclusion. He wouldn't care that Todoroki didn't use his powers to the fullest, since he would've just been sure he would win either way. The reason he's so upset from this fight isn't just because Todoroki didn't take him seriously, it's also because he wanted to prove to everyone, especially himself, that he was the unquestionable number one. He wanted to know that he could beat anyone, no matter what. That's pretty different from how he was at the start where he just assumed he was automatically superior to everyone

I personally wouldn't consider a transition from an insufferable jackass who thinks he's the best to an insufferable jackass who wants to prove he's the best a huge change of character, but eh.

Huh..? So Kaiji has been licensed i guess?
http://global.bookwalker.jp/de47815db9-4adb-458f-91cc-f5a48475d65b/

Never read this part of the manga since the anime was there, but guess what FKMT has official english releases now.

My favorite Kaiji arc. Nice to hear that it's getting an English localization.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I hope he gets another chance at serialisation too, this time drawing what he really wants. Also, the way this manga depicts Fushimi's sister condition was heart-breaking.
Agreed. Fuck
her boyfriend, caving to familial pressure against being tied down to a dying girl.
She tried so hard, too.

How is it?
Better than Bakuman, that's for sure.

Yea, can't get more obvious that the title itself.
You never know, there could be a plot twist~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom