• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

They both don't look very good imo.

Do you guys have any relatively cheap chinos to suggest? I see a lot for 70+ which is just too much for me. I would definitely prefer some slim fit ones, I have skinny legs.

Thanks in advance.

Do you guys have any relatively cheap chinos to suggest? I see a lot for 70+ which is just too much for me. I would definitely prefer some slim fit ones, I have skinny legs.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried H&M? I have some I got there for like $30. They're not amazingly well made (like most H&M stuff), but the fit is pretty good (slim) and they get the job done. Pretty sure they come in a lot of colors too.

Jay Sosa

I bought some chinos from C&A that look and feel awesome (if you're skinny) and don't have that ridiculous low crotch that makes you look like you're 50.

How are these for example? It's all plain but I like cheap and plain as long as it's different than what I've been wearing but not too 'wow' in your face with lots of colors. I don't like designs or lettering or anything like that on clothes or shoes just plain colors. I wish I could get these grey shoes with laces or something though I don't really like slip-on.

Slip ons are nice, hoodie as well. cargos are awful as well as the hiking shoes. Why would you wanna wear hiking shoes when you're not going hiking? Or you're a 90s eastcoast rapper.

The Jordans are ridiculously baggy and long, I love 'em cause they're extremely comfortable but they make you look an idiot (like almost all basketballshorts).

Thanks in advance.

Forever 21. Seriously. At $22 you can't lose. I bought some teal ones the other day. Nice, slim fit, tapered leg. At that price I want to go pick up whatever other colors they have.

overcast

Have you tried H&M? I have some I got there for like $30. They're not amazingly well made (like most H&M stuff), but the fit is pretty good (slim) and they get the job done. Pretty sure they come in a lot of colors too.

Forever 21. Seriously. At $22 you can't lose. I bought some teal ones the other day. Nice, slim fit, tapered leg. At that price I want to go pick up whatever other colors they have.
Perfect. I'll check them out at the mall when I get some money, and online as well. Are they good for hot summer days?

bob page

Thanks in advance.
Dockers Alpha Khakis are the best you can get for the money ($40 range). They're very well made and can e dressed up or down.

Alucrid

Banned
ZGGral.jpg

only 84 and 63% humidity today

everlane, everlane, geller, cp

Reading that cargo shorts thread and I just realized how much some people hate on this thread.

The one from like a month ago?

I'm going out this weekend for a few drinks and probably some dancing and i want to get myself a new outfit. Not really sure where to start though, i have a few ideas but i have trouble putting the whole thing together. The shop i normally go to has a nice outfit with a vest that i'm thinking of going with but not sure yet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question. When you all wear dress pants with a tucked polo or button up are you able to make it look like this pic below, where the belt shows perfectly and the guy doesn't have to pull out the shirt at all? I'm not sure if this is just because it's a model with the shirt pinned, or because my shirts/pants are just not quite the right type, but I always have to tuck in my shirt, then pull it out a bit.

Model:

Me: (Don't mind the wrinkles, damn car ride)

Alucrid

Banned
your pants look quite baggy, a bit too big perhaps? i've always been a fan of tight shorts.

They're supposed to be baggy I think. Flight shorts(?) or something like that. I have to say I'm a fan of tighter shorts as well.

Yep, they're supposed to be loose. Wouldn't want it any other way when I'm dealing with the weather I have right now. The angle also exaggerates it a bit too.

Nice casual outfit. Yeah it was the one from a month ago.

Thanks, yeah that thread was good.

Question. When you all wear dress pants with a tucked polo or button up are you able to make it look like this pic below, where the belt shows perfectly and the guy doesn't have to pull out the shirt at all? I'm not sure if this is just because it's a model with the shirt pinned, or because my shirts/pants are just not quite the right type, but I always have to tuck in my shirt, then pull it out a bit.

I don't really understand your question. How would your belt show perfectly by pulling out the shirt? Wouldn't that make the belt show less? Surely the solution to your problem is just to tuck your shirt in a bit more, or am I being stupid...?

Alucrid

Banned
I don't really understand your question. How would your belt show perfectly by pulling out the shirt? Wouldn't that make the belt show less? Surely the solution to your problem is just to tuck your shirt in a bit more, or am I being stupid...?

I think he means how do you keep your shirt from pulling out and 'puffing out.' The answer is not much besides continually tucking in or never raising your arms above a 45 degree angle. Very slim tapered shirts might work, but trying to keep it like it is in the picture isn't really achievable.

bob page

I wouldn't tuck in a polo- it looks like crap on most people. To avoid a billow on regular dress shirts, make a pleat on both sides in the back before you fully pull your pants up. This is pretty much the only good way apart from getting the shirt tailored.

Jersey and knit fabric is pretty much untuckable, it drapes too much and isn't stiff enough to hold shape. Also, your pants are riding low,which exacerbates the blousing. The polo is kind of on the large size too.

Lets stop beating around the bush, shant we? You basically have to be in pretty good shape for shirts to tuck like that. The shirt must be fitted/tailored as well. Those models usually don't wear unaltered clothes. I think its a bunch of bullshit because you end up expecting the article of clothing that you purchased to fit you real well, yet it feels like a tent when you get it on your body. Basic yesstyle syndrome.

ShutEye

I get all my dress shirts tailored and keep a slim waist. That's how to look like someone with a slim waist who is wearing tailored clothes.

Also getting shirts tailored is the best $15 I've spent on clothing ever. I have no interest in dressing in tents.

Alucrid

Banned
I get all my dress shirts tailored and keep a slim waist. That's how to look like someone with a slim waist who is wearing tailored clothes.

Also getting shirts tailored is the best $15 I've spent on clothing ever. I have no interest in dressing in tents.

why not?

320x219px-LL-ea109858_transform2.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I think he means how do you keep your shirt from pulling out and 'puffing out.' The answer is not much besides continually tucking in or never raising your arms above a 45 degree angle. Very slim tapered shirts might work, but trying to keep it like it is in the picture isn't really achievable.

Well, basically, why when I tuck my shirts in all the way does it not look good? If I don't pull out the shirt a bit all you see is a bit of scrunched up waistline on the khakis, basically if I try to wear the shirt completely tucked like that model it looks horrible.

I assumed it was tailoring and pinning (+ shape) but didn't know if I was missing something. Just something I've always noticed about those images, they always tuck the shirt in all the way and never pull any fabric out as I have to and look great. :p

I wouldn't tuck in a polo- it looks like crap on most people. To avoid a billow on regular dress shirts, make a pleat on both sides in the back before you fully pull your pants up. This is pretty much the only good way apart from getting the shirt tailored.

I kind of have to tuck it in. I have yet to find many button ups that fit me right, although that's the goal this weekend. I wear polos because I typically don't like to dress up and polos are the most comfortable work clothes they'll allow.

Lets stop beating around the bush, shant we? You basically have to be in pretty good shape for shirts to tuck like that. The shirt must be fitted/tailored as well. Those models usually don't wear unaltered clothes. I think its a bunch of bullshit because you end up expecting the article of clothing that you purchased to fit you real well, yet it feels like a tent when you get it on your body. Basic yesstyle syndrome.

This is what I suspected.

Is eBay a good place to buy clothes? My friend recommended it to me and it seems like a pretty good option. I've always been hesitant about buying nice clothes because they cost so much in traditional stores. Whereas this is $15 on eBay:

6083.jpg

Also, my first time in the thread. Be gentle!

Alucrid

Banned
Well, before someone else rips into you, I'll just advise that those clothes are from some no-name asian brand (korean probably) and they're $15 because the construction is not good, materials aren't great, fit is exaggerated and the design, imo, is tacky. I would avoid them, but that's just my personal opinion.

Well, before someone else rips into you, I'll just advise that those clothes are from some no-name asian brand (korean probably) and they're $15 because the construction is not good, materials aren't great, fit is exaggerated and the design, imo, is tacky. I would avoid them, but that's just my personal opinion.

Alright, good to know. What's a better place to start?

Alucrid

Banned

Well if you're near a Uniqlo you could go there and check that out. They have decent stuff for cheap. Same with H&M. I'd say Uniqlo > H&M in terms of quality, but H&M is probably a bit cheaper.

I'm sure other posters could give you more opinions at more widespread brick and mortar stores that have an online presence if that's a requirement for you like J. Crew, etc. etc.

Piecake

Well if you're near a Uniqlo you could go there and check that out. They have decent stuff for cheap. Same with H&M. I'd say Uniqlo > H&M in terms of quality, but H&M is probably a bit cheaper.

I'm sure other posters could give you more opinions at more widespread brick and mortar stores that have an online presence if that's a requirement for you like J. Crew, etc. etc.

when the hell is Uniqlo going to sell their clothes online? Absolutely mind-boggling that they arent already doing it

Alucrid

Banned
With the TOJ hiatus looming, I finally decided to jump on the baseball jacket and the 4-zip MDR. SO GODDAMNED EXCITED.

Bravo. I'm still waiting on my baseball and 4-zip Moto :D
4 zip mdr is damn nice, mad that I ordered my 3 zip before the 4 came about

when the hell is Uniqlo going to sell their clothes online? Absolutely mind-boggling that they arent already doing it

No clue. I use the proxy service SuddenLee to get my shit. Use the measurements from the UK site to make sure the sizing is right. Fees aren't too high either.

Probably not the right thread, but what would u guys recommend for a general body grooming kit? I'm way overdue for one. One I can order online is preferable. Hoping to spend around $50?

With the TOJ hiatus looming, I finally decided to jump on the baseball jacket and the 4-zip MDR. SO GODDAMNED EXCITED.
TOJ is going on hiatus? Good to know. I purchased one of their varsity jackets back in 2009 and I'm still getting use out of it today. Might have to get something else from them before they disappear for awhile.

Well, basically, why when I tuck my shirts in all the way does it not look good? If I don't pull out the shirt a bit all you see is a bit of scrunched up waistline on the khakis, basically if I try to wear the shirt completely tucked like that model it looks horrible.

I assumed it was tailoring and pinning (+ shape) but didn't know if I was missing something. Just something I've always noticed about those images, they always tuck the shirt in all the way and never pull any fabric out as I have to and look great. :p

I kind of have to tuck it in. I have yet to find many button ups that fit me right, although that's the goal this weekend. I wear polos because I typically don't like to dress up and polos are the most comfortable work clothes they'll allow.

This is what I suspected.

I've learned from this thread it's pretty beneficial to get a lot of your nicer clothes tailored. It will cost you a pretty penny but is well worth it especially if you have a fit body type.

Alucrid

Banned
TOJ is going on hiatus? Good to know. I purchased one of their varsity jackets back in 2009 and I'm still getting use out of it today. Might have to get something else from them before they disappear for awhile.

They stop taking orders on June 1st, so you only have a day or so to decide.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ZGGral.jpg

only 84 and 63% humidity today

everlane, everlane, geller, cp

The one from like a month ago?

Tight shorts would be better.

Is eBay a good place to buy clothes? My friend recommended it to me and it seems like a pretty good option. I've always been hesitant about buying nice clothes because they cost so much in traditional stores. Whereas this is $15 on eBay:

Also, my first time in the thread. Be gentle!

Don't do it. I learned from experience.

I'm waiting for that too.

You can try. Asos.com, buckle.com, jcrew.com, urbanoutfitters.com, luckybrand.com, express.com and GAP or Banana Republic.

?oe?oe

piyi01.jpg

piyi01-2.jpg

I just bought this jacket for $30. Pretty sweet.

And don't worry, I have the exact same body... body of an asian...

Does GAF approve?

Probably not the right thread, but what would u guys recommend for a general body grooming kit? I'm way overdue for one. One I can order online is preferable. Hoping to spend around $50?

Norelco Bodygroom.

I've learned from this thread it's pretty beneficial to get a lot of your nicer clothes tailored. It will cost you a pretty penny but is well worth it especially if you have a fit body type.

Very important, gotta get clothes tailored unless you are some kind of lucky semi-god that manages to fit into all your clothes perfectly.

Shorts could be tighter and shorter. The shoes are okay but is there any way to tuck in the laces or make them shorter?

Alucrid

Banned
Norelco Bodygroom.

Very important, gotta get clothes tailored unless you are some kind of lucky semi-god that manages to fit into all your clothes perfectly.

Shorts could be tighter and shorter. The shoes are okay but is there any way to tuck in the laces or make them shorter?

I could do some fancy lacework, I just don't care to.

They stop taking orders on June 1st, so you only have a day or so to decide.
Oh damn, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately for me, I get paid tomorrow, so I'll send them an email and see what's up.

The item I'm looking at (TOJ1 2011) may have been discontinued anyway, but my fingers are crossed.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh damn, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately for me, I get paid tomorrow, so I'll send them an email and see what's up.

The item I'm looking at (TOJ1 2011) may have been discontinued anyway, but my fingers are crossed.

I don't think they've taken anything off the menu just because they were taking a break in a little while anyways, so you should be good.

lush

Can someone link me some nice(preferably affordable) shorts? I don't really own too many and the ones I do own are too baggy and long, so I never wear them. I've always ended up buying stuff like this too big do to lack of size options in stores. But yeah, it's extremely hot wearing jeans/pants all the time. Nice colors plus slim and shortish leg please. Need a few pair to switch up.

Thanks
<3

Can someone link me some nice(preferably affordable) shorts? I don't really own too many and the ones I do own are too baggy and long, so I never wear them. I've always ended up buying stuff like this too big do to lack of size options in stores. But yeah, it's extremely hot wearing jeans/pants all the time. Nice colors plus slim and shortish leg please. Need a few pair to switch up.

Thanks
<3

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24013690

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=23685027

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24010001

Urbanoutfitters is the only place I could think of that is on the lower end price of what you are looking for. If you want to go higher look at J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Vineyard Vines.

Alucrid

Banned
I hope so. Also, do you use accessories much in your outfits? Seems like you go minimalist.

nah, i don't wear watches because it makes me feel off balance, don't like necklaces. at most i'll have a hair tie around my wrist, but that's not really an 'accessory'

still, that's why i like winter, since then my layers actually get interesting

nah, i don't wear watches because it makes me feel off balance, don't like necklaces. at most i'll have a hair tie around my wrist, but that's not really an 'accessory'

still, that's why i like winter, since then my layers actually get interesting

What about any type of glasses or something on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom