• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, April 11th

Hi guys

This is Sam Naji from NPD. Data will be coming out tomorrow and Mat and I will be on hand to answer questions.

Unfortunately I am still waiting for Neogaf to approve my NPD username and so had to log in under my gamer name.

We will bringing something new tomorrow. The top 10 all platform will be top 20 and we will be adding the top 10 for the NSW

See you tomorrow and please do not ask us on specific numbers. We are under contract obligation not to give any numbers unless we have the blessing of the publisher

Hi guys

This is Sam Naji from NPD. Data will be coming out tomorrow and Mat and I will be on hand to answer questions.

Unfortunately I am still waiting for Neogaf to approve my NPD username and so had to log in under my gamer name.

We will bringing something new tomorrow. The top 10 all platform will be top 20 and we will be adding the top 10 for the NSW

See you tomorrow and please do not ask us on specific numbers. We are under contract obligation not to give any numbers unless we have the blessing of the publisher

Thanks to both you and mat being on neogaf to answer questions for us .
Looking forward to seeing the new format .

Hi guys

Oh sweet now we have two NPD analysts in this thread. Hopefully we get more thread activity with you guys around. Welcome to our thread :)

Hi guys

Welcome. Good to have both you and Mat on the forum!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hi guys

Glad to see a second NPD analyst here, Mat has already done some fine work (in spite of the short time) in terms of listening to our concerns, hopefully we can see further improvements based on civil (sounds utopic, but we can do that) discussions on different topics :D Also

and we will be adding the top 10 for the NSW

Nice trolling there!
Unless digital only games are included. Which would be sincerly great

Unknown?

Not NPD but when do we get Sony's Q4 financial reports? I'm curious if they can pull the 20M shipped for the fiscal year.

Welfare

Hi guys

The more of you guys to provide insight and talk general gaming, the better. Welcome!

kyser73

Switch will outsell PS4 over holidays. Not sure about Scorpio.

Tentpole is a term borrowed by film from the circus and equates in use to the 'marquee' act, the headline artiste who brings the punters in. As used in movies & gaming it just means any release the publisher decides is a big draw/bums on seats attractor.

Everyone be nice to our second NPD person. These guys really don't have to engage with us so show a bit of respect for the donation of their time.

Tentpole is a term borrowed by film from the circus and equates in use to the 'marquee' act, the headline artiste who brings the punters in. As used in movies & gaming it just means any release the publisher decides is a big draw/bums on seats attractor.

Everyone be nice to our second NPD person. These guys really don't have to engage with us so show a bit of respect for the donation of their time.

Wouldn't count the PS4 out just yet

With Destiny 2
$199 Slim
Call Of Duty(This Years Version)
$299 Pro

Those are the only ones i got in mind right now, But i just think you shouldn't count the PS4 out just yet

wapplew

With Destiny 2
$199 Slim
$299 Pro

Those are the only ones i got in mind right now, But i just think you shouldn't count the PS4 out just yet

Wouldn't count Xbox one family out too, it's NPD after all.

With Destiny 2
$199 Slim
$299 Pro

I'm hoping nintendo are aggressive with the price this christmas, a $250 mario kart bundle would be killer

donny2112

Word of warning, NeoGAF does not usually allow two accounts for an individual. Please contact a mod to make sure they're okay with it (e.g. Nirolak, Stumpokapow). Love that someone else from NPD may be on-hand to discuss trends/macro data along with Mat, and really don't want anything to happen to your account due to a misunderstanding. :)

Hi guys

Welcome to Sales GAF! Nice to have you and Matt around and look forward to some good solid discussion.

Welfare

With Destiny 2
$199 Slim
$299 Pro

Doubt PS4 hits $199 this year. The 1TB model is replacing the 500GB model and will have received a "price cut" to $299. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/1tb-ps4-slim-finally-arrives-in-the-us/0181457

Seems like Sony are going to wait on bundling a game with the 1TB and come this holiday the most I expect is another $249 deal. Can't hit rock bottom prices just yet!

Also the Pro will at most get down to $349 if Sony don't just bundle a game with it for the holidays.

Since we are at the period of time where console sales slow down (PS4 has been down YoY every month since June 2016) I don't see 2017 being any different. Now is when Sony will want to get as much profit as possible before needing to drop the price below $249 for a quick sales spike.

Early prediction, but I think PS4 will sell just below a combined 2.4M this holiday, with Switch selling around 2.5M.

Unknown?

With a Star Wars bundle? I don't think so, it's definitely not a lock for Nintendo.

Doubt PS4 hits $199 this year. The 1TB model is replacing the 500GB model and will have received a "price cut" to $299. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/1tb-ps4-slim-finally-arrives-in-the-us/0181457

Seems like Sony are going to wait on bundling a game with the 1TB and come this holiday the most I expect is another $249 deal. Can't hit rock bottom prices just yet!

Also the Pro will at most get down to $349 if Sony don't just bundle a game with it for the holidays.

Since we are at the period of time where console sales slow down (PS4 has been down YoY every month since June 2016) I don't see 2017 being any different. Now is when Sony will want to get as much profit as possible before needing to drop the price below $249 for a quick sales spike.

Early prediction, but I think PS4 will sell just below a combined 2.4M this holiday, with Switch selling around 2.5M.
Come on now! Sony has done a $50 drop every year with another $50 promotional during the holidays for some time now. The 1TB is just replacing the 500GB with game bundle. It's essentially the same exact thing as a 500GB with game. It's just a way to keep perceived value in their console until they strategically drop the price and bring in new bundles.

Hello Sam.

Switch will outsell PS4 over holidays. Not sure about Scorpio

This is a really difficult thing to predict, as sales of both Switch and Scorpio will most likely be limited by production capacity, while PS4 will not.

So, theoretically, demand for either could potentially outstrip demand for PS4, but given capacity constraints we'll likely never know for sure.

I was quoted as saying that Scorpio could push XBO sales over PS4 this year. Because it could. It most likely won't because of those capacity constraints, but that part didn't make it out into the wild lol. I still have PS4 leading the holiday, but it could go either way.

Thorrgal

Hello Sam.

This is a really difficult thing to predict, as sales of both Switch and Scorpio will most likely be limited by production capacity, while PS4 will not.

So, theoretically, demand for either could potentially outstrip demand for PS4, but given capacity constraints we'll likely never know for sure.

I was quoted as saying that Scorpio could push XBO sales over PS4 this year. Because it could. It most likely won't because of those capacity constraints, but that part didn't make it out into the wild lol. I still have PS4 leading the holiday, but it could go either way.

Do you think we'll see 199$/299$ slim/pro's?

I'm with Welfare, I don't think Sony will pass the opportunity of cashing out so I see them at 249$/349$.

Elandyll

Banned

PS4 has been at $249/$259 for most of the year so far, and still is...
I'm pretty sure we'll see a reg PS4 $199 bundle (probably UC4, possibly Horizon) at the very least for Black Friday, if not a whole month.
I also expect a $349 Horizon ZD Pro bundle, and a $299 1Tb LE Star Wars BF PS4 bundle for Nov/ Dec. Possibly a $249 RDR2 bundle in Nov, and a $249 Destiny 2 bundle as well ($299 if 1 Tb) in Sept.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hi guys

Yo that's a pretty badass gamer name

Welcome to the forum!

Ashtar

Hi guys

Thanks for posting I was about to start harassing mat on Twitter
Looking forward to this months rankings

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hi guys

Your account should be approved now.

Switch hyperbole is getting insane. What makes you say this? PS4 will be 199 and have huge bundles this holiday... Destiny, RDR 2, COD, Battlefront. PS4 will win the holiday WW easily and the US but closer there.

It's been $250 for awhile now, 199 is a lock this holiday.

Switch hyperbole is getting insane. What makes you say this? PS4 will be 199 and have huge bundles this holiday... Destiny, RDR 2, COD, Battlefront. PS4 will win the holiday WW easily and the US but closer there.

I think the kicker is that the Switch launched in March to estimated sales of 2.5 million world wide... A lot of people are waiting till the holidays for a full game lineup not to mention Nintendo flooding the airwaves with more switch advertisements in the fall (hell production will be smoothed out by then as well). I think it is safe to assume they are going to put up launch like numbers in its first Christmas for sure which could very well top the ps4 or x1 sales for the same period.

You also fail to factor in that all those titles with exception to red dead are going to come out on PC and will heavily impact their sales (COD is experiencing hardcore franchise fatigue as well).. .You know how many people I know played destiny on PS4 instead of PC cause it wasnt released on that platform yet.

I think the kicker is that the Switch launched in March to estimated sales of 2.5 million world wide... A lot of people are waiting till the holidays for a full game lineup not to mention Nintendo flooding the airwaves with more switch advertisements in the fall (hell production will be smoothed out by then as well). I think it is safe to assume they are going to put up launch like numbers in its first Christmas for sure which could very well top the ps4 or x1 sales for the same period.

You also fail to factor in that all those titles with exception to red dead are going to come out on PC and will heavily impact their sales (COD is experiencing hardcore franchise fatigue as well).. .You know how many people I know played destiny on PS4 instead of PC cause it wasnt released on that platform yet.

Successful Launch month means little in the form of guaranteed success. People are getting ahead of themselves. Destiny PC will have little effect on PS4.

Successful Launch month means little in the form of guaranteed success. People are getting ahead of themselves. Destiny PC will have little effect on PS4.

You might be right, I was just giving reason why it could beat out the ps4 and or x1 .. You have to factor in that it is a new gadget.

And of course it is going to affect PS4s numbers.. they are going to be splitting it between 3 platforms rather than 2? Why wouldn't it?

You might be right, I was just giving reason why it could beat out the ps4 and or x1 .. You have to factor in that it is a new gadget.

And of course it is going to affect PS4s numbers.. they are going to be splitting it between 3 platforms rather than 2? Why wouldn't it?

That audience was always there, it going to a new audience is not going to have much effect on PS4. People who game on PC are fine just on PC, most of the audience will be on PS4 as always, with some new ones in the PC audience. There isn't much overlap there.

blakep267

They aren't going to have bundles for all of those games. They will likely have a $199-$249 Horizon bundle as the main mass bundle, Destiny LE bundles leftover from September and maybe a LE Star Wars bundle

Even going back to 2015, the main bundle was the UC collection and the COD and Star Wars were LE( in November. Then the COD bundle became normal in december)

Nintendo all depends on what's releasing. if the switch has Mario and a Pokémon game releasing this Holiday, as well as the already launched Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario kart; and they have an attractive bundle, they could likely sell a ton.

Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 , ARMS, Mario Odyessy, Xenoblade 2, Sonic Mania are all going to be out by December.

I think the lineup is going to be very strong for people who never purchased a Wii U + people who are Nintendo enthusiasts. Also Nintendo is selling out like crazy with limited stock and im sure they are going to up production for the holidays.

PS4 is going to go against the PS4 PRO, X1, and possibly Scorpio. It just seems like the Switch is going to sell more than the PS4 when not tallied with the PS4 Pro IMO.

Stanng243

Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 , ARMS, Mario Odyessy, Xenoblade 2, Sonic Mania are all going to be out by December.

I think the lineup is going to be very strong for people who never purchased a Wii U + people who are Nintendo enthusiasts. Also Nintendo is selling out like crazy with limited stock and im sure they are going to up production for the holidays.

PS4 is going to go against the PS4 PRO, X1, and possibly Scorpio. It just seems like the Switch is going to sell more than the PS4 when not tallied with the PS4 Pro IMO.

The PS4 Pro is a PS4, they are grouped together.

Unknown?

They aren't going to have bundles for all of those games. They will likely have a $199-$249 Horizon bundle as the main mass bundle, Destiny LE bundles leftover from September and maybe a LE Star Wars bundle

Even going back to 2015, the main bundle was the UC collection and the COD and Star Wars were LE( in November. Then the COD bundle became normal in december)

Nintendo all depends on what's releasing. if the switch has Mario and a Pokémon game releasing this Holiday, as well as the already launched Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario kart; and they have an attractive bundle, they could likely sell a ton.
They had a non LE Star Wars bundle too in November.

sphinx

the piano man
out of curiosity...

what was the source that said Zelda and Switch had sold about 900k? was it NPD? Nintendo themselves?

the OP didn't have a link or anything, thread is now closed, so I ask here

The PS4 has now now cumulatively sold through more than 35.9 million units across the world, which is quite the impressive figure for just over two years of life.

That's helped by over 5.7 million PS4 consoles sold over the Christmas season, which runs from November 22, 2015 to January 3, 2016.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ccessful-christmas-period#VVMceCySeDeuzwBX.99

That's from 2 holidays ago. Last year was 6.2 million which I quoted above.

out of curiosity...

what was the source that said Zelda and Switch had sold about 900k? was it NPD? Nintendo themselves?

the OP didn't have a link or anything, thread is now closed, so I ask here

"The console sold more than 906,000 units in the U.S. last month, the Japanese company said, citing data from industry tracker NPD Group."

I guess it really comes down to production and hype really. Can Nintendo produce enough Switches and will the HYPE still carry to Q4?

Nintendo historically hasnt been able to keep supply up to meet demand so maybe they wont match those sales the ps4 is putting up.

Top Bottom