• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario All stars on Wii VC will it happen..?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nintendo, the only company whose fans actively demand regurgitated product!

Deezer

jarrod said:
Agreed on that too... SMB2 was really the only accurate conversion in there.
Are you saying they tweaked the controls in SMB3 also? Or are you referring to the level changes?

Oblivion said:
Whaa? They made it far worse in the allstars version. The only thing I didn't like (loved the graphics update. SM3 looks even better than SMW).

Well, the control is much, much looser. It feels more like 'Super Mario Bros. 3' Mario, though you still have things like the backwards jump. But Mario definitely feels...different. He's much floatier, and he bounces farther off of enemies heads when he jumps on them. And like sombody else mentioned, the timing is off.

The controls are just...different. Since I'm so accustomed to the NES version, even small differences are a turn-off.

Which is why I hope we get the NES version of 'The Lost Levels'. The SNES version just doesn't do it for me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, the control is much, much looser. It feels more like 'Super Mario Bros. 3' Mario, though you still have things like the backwards jump. But Mario definitely feels...different. He's much floatier, and he bounces farther off of enemies heads when he jumps on them. And like sombody else mentioned, the timing is off.

The controls are just...different. Since I'm so accustomed to the NES version, even small differences are a turn-off.

Which is why I hope we get the NES version of 'The Lost Levels'. The SNES version just doesn't do it for me.

Wait, I'm not arguing that the controls were different. I was just saying that it's worse in the all stars version (seems to have more inertia, and you can't jump as well).

Oblivion said:
Wait, I'm not arguing that the controls were different. I was just saying that it's worse in the all stars version (seems to have more inertia, and you can't jump as well).

Oh, well yeah, worse for us, who are used to the original. By better, I mean that it's probably a lot more...friendly for new gamers. (For instance, you have more control of Mario when he's in mid-air, floatier controls, that kind of thing).

I guess I should have put quotations around the word 'better'. :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SonicMegaDrive said:
Oh, well yeah, worse for us, who are used to the original. By better, I mean that it's probably a lot more...friendly for new gamers. (For instance, you have more control of Mario when he's in mid-air, floatier controls, that kind of thing).

I guess I should have put quotations around the word 'better'. :D

Kinda funny actually since I thought it was actually worse for new gamers since Mario kept sliding, and would frequently slide into a bottomless pit. Definitely prefer the NES controls for that.

Oblivion said:
Kinda funny actually since I thought it was actually worse for new gamers since Mario kept sliding, and would frequently slide into a bottomless pit. Definitely prefer the NES controls for that.

Perhaps.

I'm sure Nintendo changed the controls because the felt it was an improvement. Of course, they're wrong. Quite a few people do prefer the All-Stars version, however(blasphemy, I tells ya).

It'll come out AFTER we've got them all separately on their respected consoles already.

May even get the Mario Allstars/World cart after the regular Allstars release after the individual titles have been out awhile.

:lol

snitsky

I prefer the all-stars versions for sure. I grew up on NES but after years of playing all-stars I just can't go back to NES graphics when they look so good on SNES, even if the controls are a little worse.

Rlan

I don't like the synthesized music of All-Stars, especially in SMB1. I'd much rather the original game's style.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
farnham
Banned
(Today, 04:46 AM)
Reply | Quote
I half thought he was banned for playing games with that awful blur filter applied.

Pellham said:
I really wish I had that version of All-Stars. :(
I'd pay at least $100 for the all in one cart that included SMW.
You would? Hmmm.... I think I had an extra copy of that, somewhere.

Kobun Heat said:
The real question is, will they get a clue and release the original disk system version of SMB2, which is entirely in English, into the US market? Or will they be dumb and say "well, it was never released in the US so it's inappropriate"?
Well, they DID release the disk-based Clu Clue Land sequel in Animal Crossing, so I don't think it's as unlikely as we think. However, it might be easier for them to just rip the "Lost Levels" program from SMAS and release that.

I never did pin down what was wrong with the SMAS version of SMB... I know that it felt like Mario was shaving through bricks rather than breaking them, but I don't know why it felt like that. Perhaps it was the change in the sprite and sound effects?

Deezer

DavidDayton said:
I never did pin down what was wrong with the SMAS version of SMB... I know that it felt like Mario was shaving through bricks rather than breaking them, but I don't know why it felt like that. Perhaps it was the change in the sprite and sound effects?
When Mario breaks a brick he is pulled upwards. They did this to Lost Levels too. :\

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Deezer said:
When Mario breaks a brick he is pulled upwards. They did this to Lost Levels too. :\

Hey there, Lord Deezer.. I need to eventually do an update, don't I? E-mail me.

Top Bottom