• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

wrowa

Seems like a lot of people are on the fence on the game now because of the season pass. Not sure where else to post this but the first review dropped today courtesy of Gamereactor Sweden and they gave it a 9/10. They cite satisfying mechanics, impressive graphics, fitting roleplay elements, a lot of variation and tons of additional content among the highlights.

I wasn't very excited for this game during it's reveal last year but I'm starting to get pretty stoked.

More reviews should go online in a couple hours, btw. The embargo ends today.

Seems like a lot of people are on the fence on the game now because of the season pass. Not sure where else to post this but the first review dropped today courtesy of Gamereactor Sweden and they gave it a 9/10. They cite satisfying mechanics, impressive graphics, fitting roleplay elements, a lot of variation and tons of additional content among the highlights.

I wasn't very excited for this game during it's reveal last year but I'm starting to get pretty stoked.

Roleplaying elements? SOLD

kdoll08

Still, with Clap Hanz only just having released a smartphone version of everybody's golf for Docomo, we might not be seeing a new release on Vita/PS4 that soon, so this will fill the gap nicely I think.

Shouldn't the OT be up today? Assuming US release is next Tuesday

The mobile version they released looked like it used the last PSP version of hot shots and just ported it to mobile with some new menus. Clap Hanz has been pretty aggressively hiring for a company as small as they are so I think a PS4 announcement is probably coming at Tokyo Game Show in September. Side note it looks like Hot Shots/everybody's golf is a ps plus game next month on vita so there may be a influx of players to the online.

Velcro Fly

Yep same for me. Was going to wait until the DLC stuff was revealed to get the game. Tried yesterday afternoon and couldn't find it. I have faith they'll be able to get more though. Just have to be a little patient.

Shouldn't the OT be up today? Assuming US release is next Tuesday
I have it all ready since I said in the OT OT that I would do it resulting in me being tired since I was up late last night finishing it, but the earliest release is on May 1st in Japan so I can't post it quite yet. Soon, though.

It doesn't? It's based on NSMBU but looks considerably cheaper.

ySxkyjh.jpg

jiyFBRsXmkoT2.jpg

Yes it does, to me. I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of art-style, as I much prefer the 3-Dimensional look at the start of the Mario Golf scene and it looked far more interesting in how it was presented. Mostly in that it wasn't *identical* to the 5 other games in the NSMB series

kdoll08

Wait the shop updates and midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow? I know full games go up on Friday but I wasn't sure about demos and vc releases.

Hindl

Ah goddamn I was hoping to have something to play on my commute to work. Oh well guess I'll just wait until after to try it out. I also am in the minority where the DLC has made me more likely to pick this up if I like the demo

dLMN8R

When I first heard that the game was coming with 10 courses, I was like "sweet, that's a great amount".

Now that I've heard there's DLC on top of that, it changes......

....nothing?

I'm already getting what's probably a great amount of content for my $30. And, unlike past Mario Golf games, if I get bored of that content, this time I'm not forced to wait years and years for the chance of an entirely new game coming out.

So yeah, I have the OT all ready but I don't know when I can post it. JPN release date is May 1st but I don't know when 7 days before that would be, as embarrassing as it is to admit.

Also, I'm still trying to come up with a good title. Bah humbug.
Where are people downloading the demo? I imagine the JPN eshop but I'm not seeing it on there.
EU eShop has it.

Ah goddamn I was hoping to have something to play on my commute to work. Oh well guess I'll just wait until after to try it out. I also am in the minority where the DLC has made me more likely to pick this up if I like the demo

I'm in the same boat. I was meh on the concept beforehand, but the season pass got me intrigued on how much/what content was going to be included as a base and added, which got me interested in the content itself, and now if the demo plays well, I'll pick it up! That's one more customer Nintendo!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...It seems like Nintendo took some inspiration from a thread I made a little while ago, with a VERY "liberal re-interpretation" of the concept, since this is a full game on the cart, but sold for a much lower price, and integrated with additional content, and not already full games being sold in parts through digital channels.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749525

2.Selling parts of the game digitally

You are a single player gamer / someone who would like to play just the campaign mode of a game, without any multiplayer component, but you still have to spend 39.99/59.99 for the whole package that includes the part that you don't want.
You are someone who loves multiplayer action, don't bother with campaign mode, but you still need to pay the full price for the full package.
Two opposite situations, the same problem: forcing the customer to buy a part of the game he doesn't want / like.
And, because of that, there are customers that decide to not buy that game, because there's a part that they don't consider as valuable.
The solution to this would be allowing developers to sell parts of their games on the digital store. Selling the campaign mode for a specific price and the multiplayer mode for another specific price would enlarge the customer base for many titles. Giving customers as much options as possible (without doing the opposite error: giving too much options, leaving him confused about what to do) is the key. It would mean further pricing flexibility, rise in digital spending, rise in game sales in general.
P.S. COD at 39.99/59.99 --> each part NOT for 19.99/29.99, but for a little more, like 24.99/34.99, in order to make the complete package appear as a bundle at a discounted price, and so letting it remain attractive for all the others who don't bother in paying even for components they don't care too much.

Fell free to take inspiration from all the others threads I made, and continue to take inspiration from the pricing one, Nintendo.

...I don't know if I should be proud there are some traces of ideas I posted here in a recent Nintendo announcement or sad because I won't get anything for this, or, well, or just ashamed that I could even believe they looked at my posts. I'll say...all of them combined :sisi

ohlawd

So yeah, I have the OT all ready but I don't know when I can post it. JPN release date is May 1st but I don't know when 7 days before that would be, as embarrassing as it is to admit.

Also, I'm still trying to come up with a good title. Bah humbug.

EU eShop has it.

err that'd be a Thursday. Hell, you can wait until Friday to do it since that's a week before May 2nd.

RagnarokX

Yes it does, to me. I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of art-style, as I much prefer the 3-Dimensional look at the start of the Mario Golf scene and it looked far more interesting in how it was presented. Mostly in that it wasn't *identical* to the 5 other games in the NSMB series

Neither was NSMBU.

3D is nice, but the way it's rendered here is really flat textures on super basic geometry that looks very cheap and doesn't even attempt to mesh the foreground with the background.

OCoMUTg.jpg

isubbvB.jpg

What purpose would such camera angles serve other than to obstruct your view and confuse you regarding planes? You'd need 3D movement to make sense of anything, and then it wouldn't really be 2D Mario anymore.

3D is nice, but the way it's rendered here is really flat textures on super basic geometry that looks very cheap and doesn't even attempt to mesh the foreground with the background.

I said it *looked* better; I didn't say it would play better. You can dissect it all you want; it won't change how I feel

I don't feel I need to defend my opinion any more than I have. I'm sick of the "flat" NSMB games and was being semi-cheeky about how Mario Golf managed to effortlessly one-up it in an animation.

RagnarokX

I said it *looked* better; I didn't say it would play better. You can dissect it all you want; it won't change how I feel

I don't feel I need to defend my opinion any more than I have. I'm sick of the "flat" NSMB games and was being semi-cheeky about how Mario Golf managed to effortlessly one-up it in an animation.

And I talked about how it looked... It's NSMBU's art very lazily pasted onto very basic 3D geometry and the 3D camera angle only lasts like a second. The background is a series of flat textures and the trees turn to face the camera. The foreground and background don't blend. And the 3D would make a 2D game visually confusing. It's a visual mess. It looks ok for a short animation, but as a whole game...

Part of my point is that implementing such visuals could essentially change the gameplay to the point that the game would be a different subgenre and not competing with 2D Mario and making an unfair comparison; like saying how amazing it is that Mario 3D World one-ups NSMBU. It's something that 2D Mario can't do without ceasing to be 2D Mario. Perhaps something more like DKCTF would work, but I see no reason to fault 2D Mario, or NSMB in particular, for sticking to and upgrading the visual style that is emblematic of the franchise.

Part of my point is that implementing such visuals could essentially change the gameplay to the point that the game would be a different subgenre and not competing with 2D Mario and making an unfair comparison

Cool. You're addressing a strawman.

My point was merely that I detest the way NSMB looks (and boy do I disagree with that artstyle being "emblematic" of the series. Mario games haven't always been devoid of soul) and the fact that Mario Golf, of all games, was able to make something look more compelling--to me--in a brief animation is note-worthy in that I'll take almost anything over NSMB's flat, bland, and uninspired appearance.

It's cool that you don't feel that way though!

RagnarokX

Cool. You're addressing a strawman.

My point was merely that I detest the way NSMB looks (and boy do I disagree with that artstyle being "emblematic" of the series. Mario games haven't always devoid of soul) and the fact that Mario Golf, of all games, was able to make something look more compelling--to me--in a brief animation is note-worthy in that I'll take almost anything over NSMB's flat, bland, and uninspired appearance.

But I'm not addressing a strawman. I'm saying that for a game to look the way it does in this cutscene it would almost necessarily have to change genres into a more 3D game. It's doing something that 2D Mario can't do which makes the comparison unfair. It's fine to like 3D more but there's not really much 2D Mario can do about that.

Mario has always been flat and soul is a term that has no meaning. Look at the franchise:

SMB
EhxOVuP.png

SMB2
Vy8c7qe.png

SMB3
z9DdpU8.jpg

SMW
dMTth4i.jpg

NSMB
WqPg96d.jpg

NSMBWii
tAZvjZq.jpg

NSMB2
FTfQcqj.jpg

NSMBU
jiyFBRsXmkoT2.jpg

Here's every level of NSMBU:
http://i.minus.com/jbt2O4RzXuY04F.png
http://i.minus.com/jF4QHz43S6YJa.png
http://i.minus.com/jpp7YQsH2z7Z6.png
http://i.minus.com/jEsaeXhFakAj2.png
http://i.minus.com/jbsbDgd3eUxqSV.png
http://i.minus.com/jbke70mNcWZPJR.png
http://i.minus.com/jb2nZSRcdhwEHL.png
http://i.minus.com/joXeuOxjJJU6b.png

They probably put more effort into the visuals of NSMBU than any previous 2D Mario. Sure you can accuse them of being lazy, but such accusations don't stand up to reality. Why is it less "soulless" when the same art is pasted onto crappy 3D geometry? Why did it become "soulless" to be flat when they added "New" to the title of the games?

But I'm not addressing a strawman. I'm saying that for a game to look the way it does in this cutscene it would almost necessarily have to change genres into a more 3D game.

Yes you are, because I literally did not suggest anything of the sort.

They probably put more effort into the visuals of NSMBU than any previous 2D Mario. Sure you can accuse them of being lazy, but such accusations don't stand up to reality.

You really seem to be confused on this as I never once said it was lazy or lacked effort. Which is why I'm done talking about this with you because you're addressing things I never said (plus this entire thing has hijacked the topic)

LoveCake

Hmmm just played the demo, it seems to be pretty good.

I think i'm gonna have to buy this, i want it digitally but it's proper pricey especially with the DLC.

See, I can readily admit I can't really argue with that, and yet my own bias (my undying love for SM64/indifference to NSMB2) puts what are essentially costume swaps (no, really, that's just the MK7 model for Metal Mario except it's now gold) on two very separate tiers of importance.

Given the tsunami of hate Metal Mario got after his MK7, I guess I'm just surprised people are shrugging this off? Just goes to show where my priorities lie lmfao
I loved NSMB2 and the Gold Flower powerup, so I'm for this character.

Anywayz: I like this DLC. Get some extra characters, all 4 that I love, and almost double the content. Will pick it up as soonas I can.

Top Bottom