• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed 1080p60 1-2 local players, 1080p30 3-4 local players

So if you tell the Switch to output to TV at 720p, does it still render 1080p and downscale to 720p or does it simply output the same 720p from handheld mode?

But that's the thing... your field of view is so small that the resolution difference wouldn't matter that much...

You end up having to draw a lot more in 4 player mode, you might have over 40 karts to draw in bad situations, so lowering the resolution might not be a quick fix.

Robin64

So if you tell the Switch to output to TV at 720p, does it still render 1080p and downscale to 720p or does it simply output the same 720p from handheld mode?

It must be the first one, otherwise setting the console to 720p would be a fix for the Zelda drops and I haven't seen anyone say that works.

1080p30 is significantly more pixels per second than 720p60... is there a technical reason why doing 720p60 might be more difficult for this 3-4 splitscreen mode?

fernoca

How is that even possible given Switch is a handheld and only marginally better than Wii U?

Can we expect a game like Mario Odyssey to be 1080p60fps as well? That would be insane
Smash on Wii U was 1080p60fps, so Nintendo at least could have their Switch games at thst. Will depend on priorities. Breath of the Wild is 900p on Switch and 720p in Wii U.

Smash on Wii U was 1080p60fps, so Nintendo at least could have their Switch games at thst. Will depend on priorities. Breath of the Wild is 900p on Switch and 720p in Wii U.

Smash probably achieved this since the game isn't graphically intensive at all. Potential Wii U ports could be 1080p60fps depending on how much work is done on the ports and what the game being ported is.

Roo

With four player splitscreen can another person with the game on Switch race those 4 locally? Two Switchs connected together with four playing on one while the other is played in handheld mode.
If you mean LAN mode (either Ethernet or local wireless) I don't think you can have more than 2 people in a single Switch console.

So no, in your case, you'd actually need three systems for all of you to play simultaneously.

Bgamer90

Banned
They should have chose 900p or even 720p to get 3-4 player play at 60 FPS. The screen is split so it's not like people will really notice the resolution drop.

Doesn't seem like a smart decision to drop it to 30 FPS just to keep it 1080p.

correct, the game still ran at 60fps it just repeated a single frame when there were CPU players present
it showed a duplicate frame every 64 frames - that means that it would run at 59fps for 14 seconds, 60fps for one second, then back to 59fps for 14 seconds etc.

it was, in essence, 59fps if there were any cpu players present.

They should have chose 900p or even 720p to get 3-4 player play at 60 FPS. The screen is split so it's not like people will really notice the resolution drop.

900p and 60fps in 4 Player mode?? How? Lol. That would be almost 90 million pixels/s

Agreed but people would complain either way. The past couple of years have been rife with people loudly complaining about sub-1080p games on here and elsewhere. It appears Nintendo feels that there may be less complaining about framerate than resolution, since they seem to prioritize resolution so far.

I would say that the split screen would actually increase noticing the resolution drop. It's a matter of 360p vs 540p per player.

Bgamer90

Banned
Agreed but people would complain either way. The past couple of years have been rife with people loudly complaining about sub-1080p games on here and elsewhere. It appears Nintendo feels that there may be less complaining about framerate than resolution, since they seem to prioritize resolution so far.

Kind of sad. I mean I get it for Xbox/PlayStation but I think many couldn't care less when it comes to Nintendo.

I would say that the split screen would actually increase noticing the resolution drop. It's a matter of 360p vs 540p per player.

For me, the screen is already split so I'm not really focusing on graphics that heavily if I'm playing against 3 other people on the same screen. I would want the game to feel as smooth as possible to handle all of the on-screen action/gameplay.

Lylo

Sounds good to me. For those complaining about 1080p/30fps for 3-4 players, that's how the game was developed. It runs at 60fps but alternates the rendering between the upper and lower half of the screen.

AdanVC

So this means no more jaggies right?? MK8 is one of, if not the most beautiful looking Nintendo game ever but those damn jaggies all over ruined everything.

Splitscreen places additional load on CPU/GPU with regards to geometry, so changing resolution may not have helped here.

This. It's very likely they would have had to do 30 fps regardless. Physics, ai, etc are going to eat more cpu resources as well.

Not sure why every time we have a conversation on gaf about frame rate, so many people assume that you can brute force higher fps by lowering resolution (or vice versa)

How is that even possible given Switch is a handheld and only marginally better than Wii U?

Can we expect a game like Mario Odyssey to be 1080p60fps as well? That would be insane

Well then I don't understand why game devs spend so much time optimizing games for 1080p (or higher) on consoles, since it's much more resource intensive to render twice as many pixels.

I actually don't understand, they should aim for 720p and higher framerates, please don't hate me gaf

Lom1lo

So why 1080p/30 instead of 720p/60 ? This doesnt make sense imo. The pixel density goes down by the factor 2 but the display size per player gets down by 4. So there is no big loss in pixel density for a player. (unless my math is false)
55 inch 1Player 1080p = 40,05 ppi
55 inch 4Players 720p = 32.64 ppi per player

So why 1080p/30 instead of 720p/60 ? This doesnt make sense imo. The pixel density goes down by the factor 2 but the display size per player gets down by 4. So there is no loss in pixel density for a player. (unless my math is false)
55 inch 4Players 720p = 65,27 ppi per player
cpu load is different, as different players see different things, and i imagine the player physics is of slightly higher fidelity than npc physics.

Ok but there's still a 2.25x upgrade in pixel count in mp.
921,600 pixels vs 2,073,600 pixels. In mp and sp.

Your point still makes exactly zero (0) (cero) sense.

Dude I don't care about pixels make that shit 60 fps sp and mp. Local mp is where it'll get the most play time for me. Switch is weak period. Mario kart was never about graphics.

shiyrley

Banned
Dude I don't care about pixels make that shit 60 fps sp and mp. Local mp is where it'll get the most play time for me. Switch is weak period. Mario kart was never about graphics.
I am impressed by your ability to make points and discuss.

They probably could have made the game 720p60FPS in MP, just because they decided to boost resolution instead of framerate doesn't make the switch weaker, you still need the extra power for that.

But whatever, I forgot I am on the Internet. Ok, you can keep thinking the Switch isn't considerably more powerful than Wii U. I mean, whatever is in your mind won't change reality

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So why 1080p/30 instead of 720p/60 ? This doesnt make sense imo. The pixel density goes down by the factor 2 but the display size per player gets down by 4. So there is no loss in pixel density for a player. (unless my math is false)
55 inch 4Players 720p = 65,27 ppi per player
I think your math is wrong. I'm too lazy to do diagonal length math, so let's just use logic.

Suppose 1 player @ 1080p compared to 4 players @ 1080p. The 4 players each get 1/4 the screen area AND 1/4 the pixels. So pixels/area == (pixels/4) / (area/4). Same PPI or whatever metric you want to use. There's no way you can cut the pixels in half and expect the same or more PPI.

Magnus

This news was confirmed months ago, right?

Also, wow, I'll say it again, I had no idea MK8 wasn't 1080p already on the Wii U. Gorgeous game.

DF have analysed their footage and the 59fps jank has gone. It's smooth full 60 here.

What's the 59fps jank? Can the human eye even detect the difference between 59 and 60?

I am impressed by your ability to make points and discuss.

They probably could have made the game 720p60FPS in MP, just because they decided to boost resolution instead of framerate doesn't make the switch weaker, you still need the extra power for that.

But whatever, I forgot I am on the Internet. Ok, you can keep thinking the Switch isn't considerably more powerful than Wii U. I mean, whatever is in your mind won't change reality

Exactly. Just let me say what I have to say coming from owning both a Wii U and Mario kart 8 with all the dlc. And Nintendo doing barely anything to justify that $60 they are asking for. Oh cool some new characters and a battle arena mode. I wouldn't be surprise if they have more maps coming as paid dlc down the line. Gotta keep milking the people who supports them.

shiyrley

Banned
What's the 59fps jank? Can the human eye even detect the difference between 59 and 60?
Yes. It's called stuttering. I noticed it on Wii U. It didn't bother me at all, but if I look for it I can see it.

I am going to get some post implying that I'm lying, I would like to say in advance that I don't really care enough to answer these.

Top Bottom