• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Vylash

aaaah, there's nothing worse than being in 1st place for the majority of a race, making /one/ mistake, and finishing last :(

Can someone please explain to me this "bunny hope" outrage? This thread is moving so fast and I have no idea what you all are talking about.

Put about 20 hours into this now so some quick thoughts.

- Online is brilliant. It's lean as fuck and the track selection is.. well the playlists could do with a shuffle, but fuck me it plays great. It's VERY easy to throw the baby out of the bath water and say that online is broken or the items are out of balance. I think there is a lot of luck in the game still (at times), but when you're on it and competing up at the top of the grid, it feels amazing and you know you've done well to win. But Nintendo, giving me a Blue Shell when I am 12th position DOES NOT HELP ME :)
- Grand Prix is fun for a while, although 150cc is crazy cats and I think considering who the maker is, there could be way more done with some sort of story in here. Also, if the game is just "What does Mario do on his day off" (which is fine), then why not invite some of his other friends over? I wouldn't say no to the Starfox team in the game. Not a deal breaker, but a fair thought I think.
- Couple of things I don't like. Options would be nice, even the ability to view some coin counts, stats or set defaults up etc. Again, its really lean here but after 8 versions of the game I've come to expect some setup options.
1) I hate that fucking "city" track with all the trucks and cars, I don't know why they've put that in the game! Maybe I am in the minority here, but it was shit on N64 and I don't want it now either!
2) Winning Coins online is awesome, but having to go into the GP, get the prize, come out for another pop-up, to go into GP, get the prize, come out over and over gets tiresome quickly. Could it not just say "Here's your prizes!"
3) No Yoshi bike yet :(
- I've taken a liking to the motorbikes, they are really quick and nimble. Using Mr. Scooty at the moment, it's ace!

But all of these little niggles don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It's an absolutely beautiful videogame, plays fantastically, looks and sounds amazing, runs 59fps and it's extremely enjoyable to play online. I honestly think Sony and MS would kill for online game this fun on their system right now because neither of them have that title just yet. This took nearly 18 months to turn up on Wii U for sure, but holy shit its a good 'un.

Can someone please explain to me this "bunny hope" outrage? This thread is moving so fast and I have no idea what you all are talking about.

It's a bunch of people blowing a pretty intuitive technique out of proportion and misrepresenting its actual effects

honestly i just don't get the big deal, people are comparing it to snaking and it's not quite there

Berordn

If you hop while there's flames coming out of your engine (because you got a boost from a mushroom or mini turbo) you can extend the length of the boost because jumping maintains your momentum and doesn't consume any of the boost time while you're airborne.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I guess you extend drift boosts if you bounce while doing it. I really don't see it being a huge deal.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FamiliarLankyGallowaycow.gif

.webm version: http://gfycat.com/FamiliarLankyGallowaycow.webm

Shell ricochet shenanigans:

LastingWindyAmericanalligator.gif

.webm version: http://gfycat.com/LastingWindyAmericanalligator.webm

What makes you think that?

I don't know if this was pointed out already, but every person on our friendlists can join the tournament room by joining us. Without the code.

Nope, I tried on the first days. It says you couldn't enter even before it starts to look if its full, if it's full, its stays looking a lot longer. Had to put the code to enter those races.

The code may have slip though in some youtube videos, as nintendo uses the torney code as a tag automatically.

Baleoce

That annoying no vote communication error glitch. Remember GAF, if you are gonna leave the lobby, vote first, for now :) until they patch it.

Christ, i hate psuedo-exploits like "wave dashing" in Smash Bros. This kind of stuff is in no way purposely put in the game and its going to become a requirement to stay competitive.

MK8 is pretty addictive...I want to do some figure drawing and animation today, but I can't stop looking at my WiiU. lol
I just want to play MK8 all week long. :p

Top Bottom