• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

While I do consider Mario Kart 8 to be a finished product and is in no way "buggy" or causing me any gameplay problems that make it unplayable, there are quite a few things that Nintendo can patch or add to make the experience more enjoyable and seem-less for the Single Player and Online Modes.

Patch Requests:

Main Menu and Pause Menus in Single Player:

-Add an Options Menu, and the options should consist of:
-Control layout customization
-Sound effect and music volume adjust
-Surround Sound/Stereo option
-Brightness Level Adjust
-While in Pause Menu add option for small mini map for lower corner of screen

In Single Player Mode:

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

-Add Option to "restart current Grand Prix" will allow you to restart right away instead of needing to go all the way out and select your character and which Grand Prix you want to race. The option to return to main menu would of course remain but be a second option.

In Online Multiplayer:

-Give everyone the option to vote for any course they would like (similar to Mario Kart Wii), this will improve the variety of maps to race and minimize the repeating courses that many have complained about while racing online.

-Add an option to adjust your online settings, similar to how Call of Duty does this with the "NAT" settings for your router. This could improve connections when playing Worldwide matches.

In Online Multiplayer with Friends:

-Add In-Game Voice Chat, this will make the matches more fun and exciting to hear instant reactions to the action that happens during a race. This would also allow for friends to easily communicate if they need to leave early or disconnect without having to wait to go back to the main lobby to choose the next race.

Also we already know that Mario Kart 8 will be getting DLC in the not too distant future. My hope is that more characters and levels are added to enrich the experience.

*Lock with Blue Shell if old*

BHZ Mayor

I think I agree with just about everything you posted. I'd also add allowing you to view your stats, mainly how many total coins you currently have on your file.

Haven't played bowsers castle in a while but there was a glitch where you fall through the course on a path after his fist hits the road, made me go :/

Also item wheels that don't stop , can be very annoying .

I agree about map selection , they say this system stops maps from being repeated but I play the same maps over and over , let me play yoshis valley

In game voice should be added for tournaments that you input a code in , I want to vent my frustration at all you guys :p

Goldenhen

In local multiplayer I want the gamepad only show the player who is using gamepad fullscreen. I don't want to see 4 player splitscreen on gamepad as it is really annoying to use a quarter of the screen to play.

Azuardo

In Friend lobbies in particular, they need to allow us to change our character without having to exit the room. Even the host of the lobby has to exit the room if they want to change their character/kart. It's annoying having to go back all the time after each race and re-entering the room.

Stats menu option similar to MKWii is needed to show things like how many coins you have collected, your most picked character/courses, how many hits you've made, etc.

Proper Battle Mode arenas, such as MK64's Block Fort and Double Deck.

Dixie Kong (okay Diddy Kong, too, but Dixie needs to finally be in a MK game).

Anth0ny

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

All I fucking ask for.

Don't understand how they made this mistake.

PseudoViper

In Online Multiplayer w/ friends:
-Add option to party up and throw party into lobby with open spots.

In Online Multiplayer:
-Edit: I meant to say "better" lobbies instead of add
-Voice chat

ultron87

Two things:

- Add the ability to change character/kart while in an online lobby between races. It is sometimes annoying to have to stick to your original choice of character if you're in a lobby for a long period and don't want to lose your spot by backing out to the change your options.

- Make Rainbow Road 64 two laps. Traditionally Rainbow Road is supposed to be a bit of a marathon. Altering the 64 version to be a single lap divided into three sections has instead made it into what feels like one of the shorter races. This is lame.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
In Online Multiplayer:
-Give everyone the option to vote for any course they would like (similar to Mario Kart Wii), this will improve the variety of maps to race and minimize the repeating courses that many have complained about while racing online.

Uh, what? The current method ensures a wider variety of maps gets played than in Wii and 7. I've never played Rainbow Road 5 times in a row in 8 like I have on Wii.

Davey Cakes

The "vote for any course" thing is shaky. Having all options doesn't help. In MK Wii there was always plenty of repetition in track choices, especially with Luigi Circuit which came up A LOT.

Maybe it's just something that can't truly be fixed. At least the current method controls things a bit. Best we can hope for is a player population that cares about variety.

psychotron

I would like to make the highlight reel 60 seconds by default. Every race it goes back to the short length. My wife and I play a lot and love watching the highlights after each race.

BHZ Mayor

Two things:

- Add the ability to change character/kart while in an online lobby between races. It is sometimes annoying to have to stick to your original choice of character if you're in a lobby for a long period and don't want to lose your spot by backing out to the change your options.

- Make Rainbow Road 64 two laps. Traditionally Rainbow Road is supposed to be a bit of a marathon. Altering the 64 version to be a single lap divided into three sections has instead made it into what feels like one of the shorter races. This is lame.

This especially bums me out because I feel like the track is better than the main Rainbow Road.

Zemm

I'm just going for what I feel are realistic choices rather than everything I want.

• A stats screen showing coins gained, most selected character, bike, kart etc.
  • Netcode improvements - people getting hit but not getting slowed should be fixed
  • Better balance between weight classes
  • Remove fire hopping
  • Better item distribution - less coins in anything other than first etc.
  • 150cc mde in worldwide races - I believe it's 100cc currently? Or atleast an option for it.
  • Reverse courses added to map selection.

Ludist210

• An options menu.
  • A statistics menu. (wins, losses, coins collected, total VR, etc.)
  • Better item balance in online multiplayer. I can't tell you how many times I've been in 10th or lower online and gotten a single mushroom when I cross an item block when the person in front of me gets something that actually helps (like a Bullet Bill).
  • Coins. Either let me carry more than ten or don't let me lose three every time I get hit by something/fall off the track. It's so easy to lose nine coins in less than ten seconds, and that's infuriating.
  • Actual Battle levels.

Delete the N64 Rainbow Road because it's way too short and it screws over anyone who is leading.

Also, get rid of the blue shell on the final lap.It should be totally deactivated. It only helps the people in second and third place but only the worst players in last seem to get it.

Same goes for the lightening bolt. Ugh. The person in last always gets it but guess what? It just screws over the people out in front.

I would just prefer they turn the items off and let us race on pure skill. But unfortunately it would be a ghost town.

"Reduce the occurrence of the Coin item when outside of 1st place."
This too. Oh my god the fucking rage of passing that very first line of item boxes and getting a coin. :/ All my skill just goes down the drain when some ass just spams the first item he gets and then I'm done. Once you get stuck in the "herd" as I call it (in other words, being unlucky enough to not get out front past the first initial row of item boxes), then your chances of winning greatly diminish. Essentially, the herd just launches whatever item they get immediately with reckless abandon and no strategy. So there's no real strategy there. Instead, it's just chaos. All the meanwhile, the person in first is totally free of the herd since they're just cannibalizing themselves.

Spux666

Banned
Delete the new rainbow road.

I don't understand the hate for the new rainbow road. In fact I don't understand the hate for any of the rainbow roads. It's like people only want a shitty ass boring 5 minute long race where nothing after the second lap matters (mario kart 64). This new rainbow road has a fantastic track design and theme song.

Is it to hard for people? That's literally the only thing I can think of. It's a non stop borderless drift fest that actually takes driving skill compared to the boring as hell endless straight aways that are mario kart 64. I'm glad they revamped the old rainbow road for this game because looking back (aside from the music) the track is actually pretty terrible.

Grinchy

Banned
Give us the option to automatically mute the game when you boot it up and the horrible voice yells "Mario Kart 8!" I'm not sure if I've ever heard anything more grating.

In Single Player Mode:

-Add Option to "restart current Grand Prix" will allow you to restart right away instead of needing to go all the way out and select your character and which Grand Prix you want to race. The option to return to main menu would of course remain but be a second option.

Yes, good God yes.

Also when you do local multiplayer it seems to default to the motion controls if you use a Wiimote. And I don't think you can change it until you get into a race and use start. This keeps happening every time you are into the "player screen". Preferably you could select this there.

xandaca

Nuke Dolphin Shoals from orbit.

Seriously, get the communications error sorted out. They seem to have become more prevalent with every passing week, I can play Call Of Duty online with zero lag so it's not my internet or console, yet Mario Kart only seems to stay consistently connected when I'm playing at ridiculous times like 2am. Sort out the invisible lag too. The inline drift bikes could do with a minor tweak to make them a little more responsive, as it's virtually impossible to make tight turns like the first two on Rainbow Road unless you leave it very late. Swap 'Highlight Reel' and 'Next Race' buttons following a race.

Other than that, would be nice to get Battle Arenas as free DLC, as they should have been in there from the start.

RM8

I don't understand the hate for the new rainbow road. In fact I don't understand the hate for any of the rainbow roads. It's like people only want a shitty ass boring 5 minute long race where nothing after the second lap matters (mario kart 64). This new rainbow road has a fantastic track design and theme song.

Is it to hard for people? That's literally the only thing I can think of. It's a non stop borderless drift fest that actually takes driving skill compared to the boring as hell endless straight aways that are mario kart 64. I'm glad they revamped the old rainbow road for this game because looking back (aside from the music) the track is actually pretty terrible.
Basically. It's my favorite kind of track, one of my favorite ones in this game.

oxidax

yup I want all of that. That might just be the best patch for MK8. I think we should all email this suggestion to Nintendo somehow.

- Switch View Highlight and Next Race
- Fix the Acceleration stat
- Remove fire hopping
- Balance weight and knockback
- Give different stats to vehicle parts that have the same stats
- Decrease appearance rate of Coins
- Options menu
- No slipstream generation by lightweights
- Make it so Random isn't one if the 3 available choices
- Make it so Toad's Turnpike, Dry Dry Desert and Sherbert Land are never the 3 course options at the same time.
-
Delete heavy weight characters

Ludist210

Nuke Dolphin Shoals from orbit.
This is incorrect. Best music in the game. But in all seriousness, it's one of my favorite tracks...and the Star Cup is the only cup that I like every single track.

Also, when playing Regional or Worldwide, if a track has been chosen, take it completely out of the rotation for a minimum of four races. I've played the same track three times in a row before (once by choice, twice by random) and that's a head-scratcher.

Piccoro

The netcode definitely needs work. Mario Kart Wii online was much better than this one.

The only thing that is good about MK8's online is when the system detects that the controller is idle, they boot you off the game. Every multiplayer game should have this.

Nanashrew

Banned

Not only that, but if you play time trials you learn all sorts of neat short cuts of jumping road to road. It's a really fun rainbow road.

GoodlifeX

It's definitely the hardest course but the main reason im not a fan is that if you are using a character that is heavy, it is basically a roll of the dice that you are going to stay on the road on the first set of turns. I don't like that I have to have a very specific spec to be effective on that map. Especially when you can't change karts in the online lobby. The new rainbow road is only one my kart type is a problem.

Speaking of which, add the abilty to at least change karts in the lobby.

Top Bottom