• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

RM8

The new rainbow road sucks because it's even more prone to collisions knocking you off the map than any other MK game. The first two turns in particular are just murder, you'll be cutting a close drift and then BUMP BOOST or SLIPSTREAM your ass off the edge.

I hope a patch comes soon but I highly doubt courses will be modified....
Eh. I'm Toadette on a bike, just looking at you knocks me 15 meters away from the track and I do fine on Rainbow Road.

doowrah

It might be odd, but I want to be able to do what I did in Double Dash. Randomize kart and character, then randomize a single race. And have an option at the end of a race to just choose a new character, keeping everyone's scores, and go again. It's a bit much to ask, but randomizing a kart is something I really wish was possible.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's really nothing wrong with the new Rainbow Road itself, but the first turn of the first lap is a gigantic pain in the ass thanks to the slipstream boost.

This is really the only "problem" I have with it, but if you don't just mash A when you see the slipstream coming and use your brake instead you can get around the corner just fine. And since everyone else is going to be flying off the edge from their own boosts or generally being bad at the course, you won't really lose much (if any) ground despite slowing down.

That's pretty much the only place in the whole game I can think of where I actually used my brake, or let off the gas in general.

At least for battle mode I really want a map in the lower corner like just about every other racing game. Preferably for all modes tho.

nikos

In addition to the OP, it would be nice to see the following added:

Lap times.
Horizontal split screen.
Option to use gamepad as a second screen, instead of splitting both the tv and gamepad, in local multiplayer.
No helmets on Miis.

Wait, what's wrong with the new Rainbow Road? It's one of the tracks that require skills.

I agree with moving "next race" to the top option after a race and also a minimap on-screen option. Also, re-add the superior Battle Mode!

I was so close to buying this but no battle mode is no buy for me. Man, I just want to relive those old battle mode moments again. Hopefully they add in online matchmaking for it too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In addition to the OP, it would be nice to see the following added:

Lap times.
Horizontal split screen.
Option to use gamepad as a second screen, instead of splitting both the tv and gamepad, in local multiplayer.
No helmets on Miis.

I have no idea who thought vertical was a good idea in this game. I have played some split screen and it can be a nightmare drifting around corners blindly.

I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread yet but the item selection sometimes never stops.

Yeah, that needs to be fixed. I had one race where I got a box on the antigrav part of Mario Kart Circuit and it wouldn't give me an item until I was around the hairpin almost to the next set of boxes.

jimi_dini

Main Menu and Pause Menus in Single Player:

Change the default for the "quit game" menu to "no".

Currently it defaults to "yes". I have lost 2 or 3 tournaments because of this. First it tricks me into replay mode, then it tricks me to select "quit game" and then it even tricks me into selecting "yes" :p

I just got MK8 yesterday and I was shocked to see how gimped "battle" mode is. That's not battle mode. That's pure laziness, Nintendo. I mean, we though that MK64's battle mode was lazy, but this is just sad.

Love the game, but battle mode is a huge disappointment.

The option to change control schemes OUTSIDE of the race are a must! It is aggravating to have to change it in race. Especially if you are playing online. That has been the biggest frustration for me.

Alec

-Let me see the minimap somewhere on the same screen that I'm racing on.
-Allow for the main screen and the GamePad to show two different racers without splitscreen.
-Enable picking up another item while holding one behind you.
-Horizontal split screen.
-Change every map to Moo Moo Meadows.

RM8

It also makes even less sense they'd want it gone when crap like Toad's Turnpike and Dry Dry would still be in.
Toad's Turnpike is ass. Super wide and basically no turns, I think it's the worst track in the game.

I kind of disagree with you OP about the game being finished. While it's certainly more than playable at its base it's clear that the developers cut a lot of corners to get the game out by May.

1. Entire sections of the game lifted directly from MK7 including the kart carousel, the way stats work (and don't work - see acceleration) and the pre-typed messages in the lobby.

2. Netcode - Extremely poor with lag, phantom collisions of items and racers, frequent communication errors and leaderboards updated after races with different positions.

3. Item selection/balance - there is none. The racer in 2nd can get a Crazy 8 while the guy in last gets a coin. The 7th and 8th racers will both get Bullet Bills and the same time. Racers 4-8 will get triple red shells from the same set of boxes at the end of the race. Lightning twice in the same lap. The game just doesn't care. Either the programmer responsible for this part of the game was drunk the entire time or Ono was subcontracted from Capcom to troll us.

4. No options menus (you covered this)

5. No separate arenas for battle mode.

6. GP is padded with cheap AI tricks meant to make it artificially more difficult to 3 star races as opposed to making the AI better racers in higher cups.

7. Staff ghosts that can mostly be defeated on the first attempt.

MK8 is a great game but I hope that Nintendo takes the time to rework entire sections of it in a substantial patch. I'd hate to have to wait until MK9 to get all of these issues fixed.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just want a proper lobby system so I can invite friends and join online together. A small niggle is the next race button not being on the top, so when doing cups I'm always starting the race highlight by accident while spamming. And obviously general improvements to the online so we get less errors and DCs would be wonderful.

Grizzo

OP, I agree with most of what you said, except for the "in-game voice chat" (I can get way too rude and vulgar when I play that game)

-
Delete heavy weight characters

no way, heavy weight characters rule

WarioKartSpecialPowers.png

In two player local co-op, have the player using the gamepad have fullscreen on the game pad, and the second player have full screen on the TV. This seems like such a huge oversight, I'm not sure why this wasn't a priority from day one.

OP, I agree with most of what you said, except for the "in-game voice chat" (I can get way too rude and vulgar when I play that game)

no way, heavy weight characters rule
Fine Wario can stay. He's my favorite human!
At least Mario Party doesn't have weight stats...

I somehow left out of my long rant post the completely borked character weight tiers and the sheer number of copy/pasted stats on the kart parts. There's nothing that anyone can say to convince me that the finished game spent more than two weeks in Q&A.
Yeah we need more vehicle part stat diversity. :(
The hidden stats chart made me incredibly sad when I read it. There are 10 different gliders and only two sets of stats divided between them.

I somehow left out of my long rant post the completely borked character weight tiers and the sheer number of copy/pasted stats on the kart parts. There's nothing that anyone can say to convince me that the finished game spent more than two weeks in Q&A.
Yeah we need more vehicle part stat diversity. :(

Azure J

Toad's Turnpike is ass. Super wide and basically no turns, I think it's the worst track in the game.

I bet if it were more narrow and traffic was moving in one direction the stage would be far more tolerable. As it stands now, it's just awesome at tickling nostalgia (the level of detail as a result of the jump from the N64 version to the Wii U version is immense) and a total bore otherwise.

Patch out Rosalina so other characters can win a race.

I don't know where you've been racing but it feels like I'm the only Rosalina main left online in the GAF tournaments. Recently, I've seen a lot more Luigis, Yoshis, DKs and Warios. Fool's Gold Peach is also on the rise.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Agree with everything OP said and also what others here have suggested. Definitely allow for 2-player mode to have the entire screen for both TV and tablet. My roommate and I play this and he uses the tablet while I use the TV. We should be able to have full view.

Anybody email this list to Nintendo yet? If not, I will do so later today.

NeoRausch

- fix the hopping
- character rebalance
- real battle mode
- option menu
- save favorite kart/bike setup
- make "next race" the Standart after a race

Edit:
Oh, and fix that 59 frames bug!

• Gamepad and TV 2 Screen / 2 player option
  • Gamepad as rear view mirror option
  • Online Co-op play of single player campaign
  • Lap speeds for tournaments that go to a leaderboard outside of time trials
  • Good in game leaderboard that makes it easy to see your friends best times and game completion & the option to click on their best time from there and race their ghost.
  • Favorite Kart saving

Actually, i'd like system wide a more social way of looking at your friends games, their best results and a way to directly challenge them on it.

Piers

Definitely think the replay functionality should be expanded upon.
On top of the camera being unnecessarily close to the drivers, the game doesn't exactly have the best taste in picking out moments for you. Let us direct the camera ourselves!

Do appreciate the notion, though, that not everybody wants to watch the same lap again and again.

Kyzon

In Online Multiplayer with Friends:

-Add In-Game Voice Chat, this will make the matches more fun and exciting to hear instant reactions to the action that happens during a race. This would also allow for friends to easily communicate if they need to leave early or disconnect without having to wait to go back to the main lobby to choose the next race.

The reason this isn't in there is most likely because it would mess with the latency of the game. 12 people's voices having to be transmitted simultaneously while dealing with 12 racers, and items is a nightmare. Shells already ghost around from time to time when someone is lagging.

I'm ok with these. The rest is not important imo.... more importantly when I enjoy the immediate fun most Nintendo games are providing. No need for dozens of options and boring stuff.

Patch Requests:

In Single Player Mode:

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

-Add Option to "restart current Grand Prix" will allow you to restart right away instead of needing to go all the way out and select your character and which Grand Prix you want to race. The option to return to main menu would of course remain but be a second option.

In Online Multiplayer:

-Give everyone the option to vote for any course they would like (similar to Mario Kart Wii), this will improve the variety of maps to race and minimize the repeating courses that many have complained about while racing online.

Add a real Battle Mode and I'm ok for the next 5 years (waiting for the next Mario Kart... on handheld probably).

-PXG-

- Balance the item RNG

- Fix the bug that results in a comm error when someone quits before voting

- Make it so one player can play from the gamepad and other player(s) play from the TV (Local and online)

- Allow players to reassign controllers without restarting the system or going back to the Wii U main menu

- Allow players to favorite replays in MKTV mode and not just after a race

- Increase the number of videos players can favorite

- Let players view Time Trial stats and ghost data with fewer steps

Top Bottom