• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

Against.

I often tend to spam the A button to cut after-race transitions/ranking screens short, and that often results in me accidentally pressing the first thing on the post-game menu, without me meaning to actually go to next race. The 'view highlight reel' menu, on the other hand, has the 'next race' as first. So you can get to next race in two button presses, whereas you can accidentally skip the reel menu without a chance to go back. Ever.

That would be true if MKTV didn't exist.

What would be nice though is if Nintendo patched in an option menu that allows the player to cutomize all these things we are requesting if the player wants them. Not giving any options is extremely limiting and only makes the player start to loose patience since many many people will be playing this game for years and that is what Nintendo wants.

This is why I think there is a good change many of these things will be fixed.

Glass Joe

A lot of great suggestions in this thread. I wanted to add my 2 cents:

Improve the online lobby texting options:
Very simple fix. Go the Wii Sports Club route and let us preselect ones we make ourselves. It would also be great if we could use them against friends in the race during a particularly cool event (hitting or passing them).
Stat Tracking:
Competitive online loses some of its luster without this. I forget what all past MK's had but I'd like to know my best characters, courses, miles driven, etc
Disconnects/Connection Failures:
This has improved for me since I changed router settings but still needs addressing. Especially connecting with friends. If the lobby the friend is in is full, give that explanation instead of making me wonder what's wrong with my network this time.
Fix Battle Mode:
This would likely fall under free DLC instead of a patch but this is the one area of a fantastic experience where they phoned it in. Free pack of the SNES battle courses, please.
Map on TV Option:
Don't get me wrong, I love how they went for a clean look while putting all that stuff on the second screen. But I play off-tv a lot and when I do so, I'm at a minor disadvantage without a map.
Voice Chat In-Game (Registered Friends):
I know they don't want MK8 to turn into an annoying community of swearing youngsters, but why can't a registered friend and I chat mid-game? That doesn't mean you have to let non-friends hear what we say. Seriously, it just seems lazy when my buddy and I even play 1 vs 1 and can only talk in-between matches.
Never Stopping Item Rotation Wheel:
Only had it happen once but I got last place due to not getting to select quickly.

Next I'll have to look up fire-hopping (which will probably piss me off).

Oh my god the fucking rage of passing that very first line of item boxes and getting a coin. :/ All my skill just goes down the drain when some ass just spams the first item he gets and then I'm done. Once you get stuck in the "herd" as I call it (in other words, being unlucky enough to not get out front past the first initial row of item boxes), then your chances of winning greatly diminish. Essentially, the herd just launches whatever item they get immediately with reckless abandon and no strategy. So there's no real strategy there. Instead, it's just chaos. All the meanwhile, the person in first is totally free of the herd since they're just cannibalizing themselves.

Likely not your intent, but you gave a good argument as to why the blue shell is a necessary evil. The times I have gotten a bit of a lead in first, it turns into a time trial for me while everyone else is bouncing against each other for rest of the race. Haven't you ever been in a race where someone's far ahead and thought "man I hope someone grabs that blue shell, even a nincompoop can fire it successfully."

SM239

Agreed with fixing the fire hopping exploit, better stat tracking, and a real battle mode.

I would really like it if they could tone the coins down or at least make it so when you have 10 coins you stop getting them from boxes. Along with toning down the coins I would really like a return of the fake item box. It doesn't provide protection like the banana but unlike the coin it can at least let you be a bit more offensive in 1st. Though I don't think this will ever happen in MK8...

BuzzJive

Options (varied item sets and controllable item distributions). Tournaments should have more control over these types of things. What I'd like to see for options is for each item to have these controllable settings:
- Min place number
- Max place number
- Likeliness chance (about 10 levels of likeliness).

Battle courses.

Tweaked Character and Kart stats to make it all more varied.

Stats. Lots of stats. Did you know you can see your wins/losses vs. individuals in your recently played friends list (even those that aren't your friends)? Those stats should be propagated through the entire interface. Tournaments should have a ton of stats you can sift through. MkTV online should have tons of info about your races.

Remove Fire Hopping

Lower the item respawn rate. This may seem controversial, but they seem to pop up a little too fast compared to older games. I think this contributes to the "middle of the pack" problem a bit.

prag16

Banned
Likely not your intent, but you gave a good argument as to why the blue shell is a necessary evil. The times I have gotten a bit of a lead in first, it turns into a time trial for me while everyone else is bouncing against each other for rest of the race. Haven't you ever been in a race where someone's far ahead and thought "man I hope someone grabs that blue shell, even a nincompoop can fire it successfully."

Yeah... to be honest a large chunk of my wins online have been due to surviving the first onslaught, collecting coins like pacman, and pulling away while everyone in the pack cannibalizes eachother. The blue shell probably is a necessary evil. I'd certainly rather have the existence of blue shells than the ability of 2nd place to score triple red shells. Now THAT'S some bullshit.

Statistic page! Please, Nintendo! I wanna see ma stats!

How many races I've raced in. Most used character, total distance driven, item usage stats, how many times I've raced on a specific track, etc.

More stats!

Also, fix Battle Mode 'cause it's trash right now. No reason to take the lazy route and not add in the familiar tracks everyone's fallen in love with while also creating new ones.

flc

would people please stop saying "remove firehopping"

first of all, it's bunny hopping. "fire hopping" is a term invented by some journalist who probably played the game for half an hour. bunny hopping (alternatively boost hopping or just "the hop strat") is the term that the time trialling community uses.

second of all, bunny hopping is the one and only thing that's making the game fun to play for those of us who have taken it a little further than most. without it, there is zero depth to time trials. bunny hopping single handedly saved the game from having shallow, stale driving mechanics that are not fun past the first two days. and before the usual "you take the game too seriously" arguments are thrown in my direction, consider that I enjoy taking the game seriously, that serious and fun are not mutually exclusive, and that the people complaining about bunny hopping are being even more "serious" about the game than I am.

third of all, it's easy to learn but hard to master, and adds a skill element to the game, not sure why people are so vehemently against it. it doesn't break controllers like snaking did, and it's a lot more interesting than wheelies in mkw. it might look silly but then so did wheelies in mkw.

fourth of all, it doesn't even save that much time (1-2 seconds per lap depending on the track) and there's a risk involved (i.e. if you mess it up you lose a ton of time). it's got a very good risk-reward factor. I exclusively play against a lot of the world's best time triallers and online players (and I'm on a number of top 10 leaderboards myself), and some of them don't bunnyhop but are still completely capable of doing well in competitive rooms.

fifth and finally, there are a bunch of strats on nearly every track that do not (or only incidentally) involve bunny hopping but save more time per lap, are harder to pull off, and have a much greater effect on the game than bunny hops ever would. if you're going to complain about something, at least complain about the things that are more overpowered than bunny hopping.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

first of all, it's bunny hopping. "fire hopping" is a term invented by some journalist who probably played the game for half an hour. bunny hopping (alternatively boost hopping or just "the hop strat") is the term that the time trialling community uses.

second of all, bunny hopping is the one and only thing that's making the game fun to play for those of us who have taken it a little further than most. without it, there is zero depth to time trials. bunny hopping single handedly saved the game from having shallow, stale driving mechanics that are not fun past the first two days. and before the usual "you take the game too seriously" arguments are thrown in my direction, consider that I enjoy taking the game seriously, that serious and fun are not mutually exclusive, and that the people complaining about bunny hopping are being even more "serious" about the game than I am.

third of all, it's easy to learn but hard to master, and adds a skill element to the game, not sure why people are so vehemently against it. it doesn't break controllers like snaking did, and it's a lot more interesting than wheelies in mkw. it might look silly but then so did wheelies in mkw.

fourth of all, it doesn't even save that much time (1-2 seconds per lap depending on the track) and there's a risk involved (i.e. if you mess it up you lose a ton of time). it's got a very good risk-reward factor. I exclusively play against a lot of the world's best time triallers and online players (and I'm on a number of top 10 leaderboards myself), and some of them don't bunnyhop but are still completely capable of doing well in competitive rooms.

fifth and finally, there are a bunch of strats on nearly every track that do not (or only incidentally) involve bunny hopping but save more time per lap, are harder to pull off, and have a much greater effect on the game than bunny hops ever would. if you're going to complain about something, at least complain about the things that are more overpowered than bunny hopping.

Yeah, let's leave in a stupid exploit that wrecks online competition for the sake of time trial players who would clearly rather be playing something else in the first place.

prag16

Banned

The problem is that it's pretty obviously an unintended exploit rather than an intentional balanced game mechanic. It's pretty much snaking all over again. Probably less drastic in ruination of the game than snaking, but almost exactly the same in terms of the reception, and the rationalization and defensiveness of the vocal minority of proponents.

This is excruciatingly rare for me. They seem to have absolutely perfect detection of where you are and almost never hit anything on their way to me. Guess I'm just unlucky. :|

...I still think they should be dumbed down.

It's not always avoidable; you need some luck. But it's doable more often than one might thing.

Nevertheless, I agree that they need to be nerfed. At the minimum 2nd and 3rd shouldn't be able to get three. And inability to fly over glider gaps would be nice. Maybe even nerf them back to N64 levels (though that may be a little too far).

I actually get more pissed about bananas at times. When things are moving quickly and a lot of things are onscreen sometimes I mistake bananas for coins. Even if you chalk that up to my own stupidity, there's still the ridiculous recovery time for bananas, which rival just about anything else in the game. Nerf that bad boy back to N64 levels too (including the method of saving yourself by braking).

flc

Yeah, let's leave in a stupid exploit that wrecks online competition for the sake of time trial players who would clearly rather be playing something else in the first place.

please don't disregard my entire argument. this might be the internet but I legitimately do want to know why bunny hopping is such a bad thing

if you had read my post, you would have seen that not only do most time triallers play online (and play well, I might add), but the people who don't do it are not at such a disadvantage that they can't win. furthermore, the removal of bunny hopping would remove a much-needed skill element from the driving mechanics.

meanwhile, you have yet to point out exactly why bunny hopping "wrecks online competition".

I understand that it's not a terribly intuitive mechanic, but at the same time its removal would severely limit the driving skill ceiling. before this mechanic was discovered, people were already setting nearly maxed times in time trials.

The problem is that it's pretty obviously an unintended exploit rather than an intentional balanced game mechanic. It's pretty much snaking all over again. Probably less drastic in ruination of the game than snaking, but almost exactly the same in terms of the reception, and the rationalization and defensiveness of the vocal minority of proponents.

one of the japanese testers (nobuo) discovered the trick weeks before the game was released and added it to an official japanese strategy guide. it might be unintentional, but they don't seem to mind its existence.

snaking had a legitimate argument in that it was actually difficult to pull off and completely changed the way the game was played (through the prolonged rocket boost strat, i.e. continuing your start boost with constant miniturbos and being able to ignore offroad as a result). bunny hops neither require a great deal of dexterity, nor do they change the way the tracks are played.

prag16

Banned
please don't disregard my entire argument. this might be the internet but I legitimately do want to know why bunny hopping is such a bad thing

if you had read my post, you would have seen that not only do most time triallers play online (and play well, I might add), but the people who don't do it are not at such a disadvantage that they can't win. furthermore, the removal of bunny hopping would remove a much-needed skill element from the driving mechanics.

meanwhile, you have yet to point out exactly why bunny hopping "wrecks online competition".

I understand that it's not a terribly intuitive mechanic, but at the same time its removal would severely limit the driving skill ceiling. before this mechanic was discovered, people were already setting nearly maxed times in time trials.

Were you a snaking proponent back in the day? If so, there's nothing more to be discussed. Nobody will change your mind. It's the same exact thing, if somewhat less severe. An unintended exploit that should not have made it into the game. You (and others) finding it fun doesn't change that.

Give everyone the option to vote for any course they would like (similar to Mario Kart Wii), this will improve the variety of maps to race and minimize the repeating courses that many have complained about while racing online
I can agree with everything apart of your list but this, do you know how much that would ruin Online? It's like the best thing they added in MK8.

flc

Were you a snaking proponent back in the day? If so, there's nothing more to be discussed. Nobody will change your mind. It's the same exact thing, if somewhat less severe. An unintended exploit that should not have made it into the game. You (and others) finding it fun doesn't change that.

see the edit to my previous post

but to elaborate, I didn't have a strong opinion either way regarding snaking. I didn't enjoy doing it because handhelds + quick movements = sore hands, but at the same time I didn't see much in the way of an argument against it.

but if I may ask, why does its being unintended matter? the developers of the quake series probably didn't intend for rocket jumps and bunny hops to exist, and yet they made the game more fun and so they embraced it.

I'm trying to understand the counterargument here so I can make an informed decision on the matter. please don't put words in my mouth and say that my mind is already made up; as an authority on what my mind is doing at the moment, that's far from the truth.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

I didn't disregard anything. The argument that non-firehoppers are "not at such a disadvantage that they can't win" is crap. They're still at a disadvantage, and there are plenty of scenarios where firehopping means either winning or losing. I've been passed right before the finish line many times thanks purely to the player behind me firehopping, and when I do firehop in WW races (usually because others are doing it), I'm often able to get so far ahead that virtually no amount of items is going to cost me 1st place.

Sorry, but if you care for the game so little that one exploit is all that's keeping you in it then you really shouldn't be against its removal.

Glass Joe

see the edit to my previous post

but to elaborate, I didn't have a strong opinion either way regarding snaking. I didn't enjoy doing it because handhelds + quick movements = sore hands, but at the same time I didn't see much in the way of an argument against it.

but if I may ask, why does its being unintended matter? the developers of the quake series probably didn't intend for rocket jumps and bunny hops to exist, and yet they made the game more fun and so they embraced it.

I'm trying to understand the counterargument here so I can make an informed decision on the matter. please don't put words in my mouth and say that my mind is already made up; as an authority on what my mind is doing at the moment, that's far from the truth.

I just looked up what bunny hopping / fire hopping is. It doesn't seem as severe or as complicated as snaking (which ruined time trials for F-Zero GX for me personally). So I'm not too upset about it. The problem IMO comes from it being unintentional. It's a strategy the player won't know about unless they're told about it or look it up. That gives advanced players an advantage when pure skill should be enough.

BuzzJive

How is fire hopping (ehehe) not a massive advantage when you can easily catch up and overtake someone going round a corner without the use of an item?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLE16Go9piY&feature=player_detailpage#t=25

I mean you can say you prefer it, but it's disingenuous to say it doesn't give you a massive advantage.

This video is enough reason to remove it. The speed difference just going up that big straightaway is significant enough. It's a bug that should be fixed.

That said, it's not even in the same exploit league as snaking and not as balance breaking as the wheelie was.

The mechanics of mk8 feel great. I don't want to have to hop in order to eek out the most performance I can get - just to stay on level terms with other hoppers.

The main things that I would like to see in a patch would be:
  • Fixing the comm error when someone quits without voting on next race

This. It's an embarrassment for Nintendo to have overlooked this.

What's even worse is that some people will wait after everyone has voted and then leave to screw everyone else over.

Fix the bug where it kills a lobby if you quit before voting!! This should be priority numero uno!

Nuke Dolphin Shoals from orbit.

Seriously, get the communications error sorted out. They seem to have become more prevalent with every passing week, I can play Call Of Duty online with zero lag so it's not my internet or console, yet Mario Kart only seems to stay consistently connected when I'm playing at ridiculous times like 2am. Sort out the invisible lag too. The inline drift bikes could do with a minor tweak to make them a little more responsive, as it's virtually impossible to make tight turns like the first two on Rainbow Road unless you leave it very late. Swap 'Highlight Reel' and 'Next Race' buttons following a race.

Other than that, would be nice to get Battle Arenas as free DLC, as they should have been in there from the start.

Good news everyone! It's been fixed!

flc

How is fire hopping (ehehe) not a massive advantage when you can easily catch up and overtake someone going round a corner without the use of an item?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLE16Go9piY&feature=player_detailpage#t=25

I mean you can say you prefer it, but it's disingenuous to say it doesn't give you a massive advantage.

that straight on royal raceway allows for 9 bunnyhops (5 after the orange miniturbo, 4 on the boost pads), which is a lot. many tracks don't even have 9 bunnyhops in a single lap, let alone a single straight. it's very strong there in particular, but elsewhere it doesn't save as much time.

and again, it's an advantage; I'm not disputing that. but a massive one? I wouldn't say so.

I didn't disregard anything. The argument that non-firehoppers are "not at such a disadvantage that they can't win" is crap. They're still at a disadvantage, and there are plenty of scenarios where firehopping means either winning or losing. I've been passed right before the finish line many times thanks purely to the player behind me firehopping, and when I do firehop in WW races (usually because others are doing it), I'm often able to get so far ahead that virtually no amount of items is going to cost me 1st place.

Sorry, but if you care for the game so little that one exploit is all that's keeping you in it then you really shouldn't be against its removal.

I didn't want to bring this up for fear of immodesty, but at the moment I have winning records on nearly everyone I've played against (including a number of world record holders and other top players; the only person completely dominating me in wins is JaK, who is arguably the best time trialler in the world right now). one of the players close to an even record (41-28) with me does not do bunnyhops at all and he is consistently able to get large leads without it. also, one of the players beating me is a bike user, and bikes can't do bunnyhops at all.

as for bunny hopping keeping me in the game: I'm not going to say that its removal wouldn't dissuade me from playing the game, but it in itself is such a large benefit to every other element of the game that I've been enjoying the game a great deal. before it was discovered, I was actually a little disappointed in the way the game had turned out. that disappointment came as a result of my enjoyment of previous games in the series (except MK7, which again I didn't particularly enjoy because of it being on a handheld), not because I have some sort of imperious need to be better than everyone or to complain about the games I play.

I just looked up what bunny hopping / fire hopping is. It doesn't seem as severe or as complicated as snaking (which ruined time trials for F-Zero GX for me personally). So I'm not too upset about it. The problem IMO comes from it being unintentional. It's a strategy the player won't know about unless they're told about it or look it up. That gives advanced players an advantage when pure skill should be enough.

fair enough. but at the same time, people who aren't told that drifting, releasing a miniturbo, bouncing on a trampoline and tricking saves 0.5-0.8 seconds wouldn't likely figure that out for themselves. people who aren't told that releasing a miniturbo a little bit before the wario stadium double jumps and then sliding upon landing saves over a second per lap wouldn't figure that out for themselves either, and neither of those are intentional but save more time on their respective tracks than bunnyhopping.

and what about hidden stats? those are completely intended, and yet there's no way to figure them out for yourself without actually going in and doing comparisons in time trials. which is how we figured out all the other unintended strats in the game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I didn't want to bring this up for fear of immodesty, but at the moment I have winning records on nearly everyone I've played against (including a number of world record holders and other top players; the only person completely dominating me in wins is JaK, who is arguably the best time trialler in the world right now). one of the players close to an even record (41-28) with me does not do bunnyhops at all and he is consistently able to get large leads without it. also, one of the players beating me is a bike user, and bikes can't do bunnyhops at all.

I wonder how well you'd be doing against these players without firehopping yourself, then?

Also, nobody is saying firehopping is going to guarantee you a win every time. That's clearly not true. But it's undeniably an unintentional advantage over players who don't do it and it's selfish to want it to remain.

as for bunny hopping keeping me in the game: I'm not going to say that its removal wouldn't dissuade me from playing the game, but it in itself is such a large benefit to every other element of the game that I've been enjoying the game a great deal. before it was discovered, I was actually a little disappointed in the way the game had turned out. that disappointment came as a result of my enjoyment of previous games in the series (except MK7, which again I didn't particularly enjoy because of it being on a handheld), not because I have some sort of imperious need to be better than everyone or to complain about the games I play.

What's worse about MK8 compared to the previous games, in your opinion?

flc

I wonder how well you'd be doing against these players without firehopping yourself, then?

Also, nobody is saying firehopping is going to guarantee you a win every time. That's clearly not true. But it's undeniably an unintentional advantage over players who don't do it and it's selfish to want it to remain.

What's worse about MK8 compared to the previous games, in your opinion?

naturally, I'd do worse without bunny hopping myself, but I enjoy doing it. perhaps it is selfish to want it to remain in the game, but is it not selfish to remove it on your own account when there are many people like me who enjoy bunny hopping and what it brings to the game?

my fear is that, in patching bunny hopping, nintendo might overdo it and make them slower. in MKW, ideal kart lines involved bunny hopping for realignment, even though the hops themselves didn't speed you up. in MK7, they slowed you down but were still useful to realign in certain cases. if bunny hopping is made to be similar to how it works when you aren't actually boosting (i.e. you lose a ton of speed), then the game might be worse off than before it was discovered.

the things I'd point out about MK8 in relation to previous games are mainly to do with items. MKW's item system was chaotic, but there were strict guidelines that the item system revolved around: you could only get certain items in certain positions, there could only be a certain, small, number of power items in play at once (3 stars, 2 megas, 1 pow/blue/lightning/bullet, etc), and 1st place had a lot of item-related plays. this meant that not only was the race never decided before the finish line (since power items used wisely could give a massive final-straight comeback), but there was strategy revolving around both frontrunning (building enough of a lead to retain 1st after a blue shell) and sandbagging (intentionally dropping to a position where the item you need is most likely to appear, then using said item to its fullest). that's not to say this system is better or worse than MK8's, but I preferred it over the distance-based, highly ordered system that exists here.

Glass Joe

fair enough. but at the same time, people who aren't told that drifting, releasing a miniturbo, bouncing on a trampoline and tricking saves 0.5-0.8 seconds wouldn't likely figure that out for themselves.

Stuff like that is standard Mario Kart fare. Those are intentional, have visual cues, and are even in the instruction manual. Hopping during a boost isn't, nor is it obvious or logical. I agree the hidden stats are dumb, everything should be shown.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
naturally, I'd do worse without bunny hopping myself, but I enjoy doing it. perhaps it is selfish to want it to remain in the game, but is it not selfish to remove it on your own account when there are many people like me who enjoy bunny hopping and what it brings to the game?

No, because it's an exploit that gives some players an advantage over others.

If you're going to be deliberately obtuse this doesn't need to go any further. Sorry you don't enjoy MK8 without firehopping, maybe MK9 will better suit your tastes.

Saiyan-Rox

In Single Player Mode:

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

This all over the amount of times ive hit that instead of next race >< whoever decided to put that option first needs a slap

Zemm

I can't see how fire hopping would add enough depth to the racing system, including time trials, to make someone that dislikes the game instead like it. It takes like what, a day or two at most to master fire hopping playing a couple hours a day, let's say a week at best to get the best time trial lines down with it.

I can't see how fire hopping would add enough depth to the racing system, including time trials, to make someone that dislikes the game instead like it. It takes like what, a day or two at most to master fire hopping playing a couple hours a day, let's say a week at best to get the best time trial lines down with it.

If you already know the tracks it takes about 30 seconds.

flc

Stuff like that is standard Mario Kart fare. Those are intentional, have visual cues, and are even in the instruction manual. Hopping during a boost isn't, nor is it obvious or logical. I agree the hidden stats are dumb, everything should be shown.

see the way the WR bounces off the flower here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgW0IbT_7E

or the way the WR bounces off the drums here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIIN-L5ahuo

and the slide on the wario stadium double jump I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DLYSnLDB4

these are almost certainly not intentional, but in all three cases, the time they save is more than the time saved by bunny hops on each respective track. the flower bounce on DK Jungle saves over 0.5 seconds per lap (the bunny hops on this track save about 0.3-0.4), the bounces on Music Park save almost 2 seconds per lap (since not drift bouncing the first drum takes all of your speed away), and the slides on Wario Stadium save a second.

Dr Prob

Banned
Heh. I'm a little slow on the uptake. Just now figured out who you are, flc. You're wise to stay out of Twisted Mansion, I'm making BIG LEAPS and HUGE GAINS :D

Bert

Didn't even know about fire hopping until this thread, seems stupid to me TBH and I hate these things that give those int he know a massive advantage. Could they not operate a special time trial section or something if it's wanted by that community?

My person wish is for full screen gamepad use, and ideally 5 player local multiplayer, but I could understand if that'd massively harm the framerate, etc.

-PXG-

So, here is a master list

Item distribution rebalancing. This includes:

Coins should be less common, especially when a player is in first place and/or they already have 10 coins

Player in 1st place should have higher chance of defensive items (green shells, banana peels, ect)

Players in high placement should not be able to get a star or Crazy 8 at all

And the rest...

Fix the bug that causes communication errors whenever a player quits without voting

Create an Options menu (sound, brightness, control config, ect)

Allow lobby host to migrate all players to another lobby

Allow players to change characters and karts in online lobbies without having to leave

Make Rainbow Road N64 two laps by default

Be able to choose amount of laps for all tracks in Versus, Tournaments and lobbies with friends

Make “Next Race” the first option and “View Highlight Reel” the second option after each race

Add an option to “Restart Grand Prix” in GP Races

Be able to toggle mini-map and player placement, on or off

Be able to save favorite character and kart configurations for all modes

Allow one person to play on the Wii U Game Pad whenever two or more people are playing locally or two players are online

Allow the Wii U Game Pad to function as a rearview mirror

Allow players to reassign controllers without having to restart the system or go back to the Wii U main menu

Allow players to favorite replays in the MKTV library and not just after the end of a race

Increase the number of videos players can favorite

Enable players to view Time Trial stats and ghost data easily and with fewer steps

Create online leaderboards with ranks, track times, lap times, ect

Allow players to toggle each and every item separately in Versus, Tournaments, and lobbies with friends

Display players’ lifetime stats (races, wins, losses, coins, ect)

Remove the “fire hopping” exploit entirely

Decrease the effectiveness of slipstreams

Make Worldwide and Regional online races 150cc

Create additional pre-written messages for online lobbies

Glass Joe

see the way the WR bounces off the flower here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgW0IbT_7E

or the way the WR bounces off the drums here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIIN-L5ahuo

and the slide on the wario stadium double jump I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DLYSnLDB4

these are almost certainly not intentional, but in all three cases, the time they save is more than the time saved by bunny hops on each respective track. the flower bounce on DK Jungle saves over 0.5 seconds per lap (the bunny hops on this track save about 0.3-0.4), the bounces on Music Park save almost 2 seconds per lap (since not drift bouncing the first drum takes all of your speed away), and the slides on Wario Stadium save a second.

If you're talking about all of those elements combining in some certain crazy way to shave off half a second, ok then sorry. I took your statement to mean that concepts like boosting, tricks, etc are things that people wouldn't figure out on their own.

in MK7, they slowed you down but were still useful to realign in certain cases
For those who don't know, how hopping worked in MK7 was more like this:

-Hops where you don't press the control stick are the same speed as driving straight
-Hopping during a boost doesn't slow you down. Sometimes. It depends. It's weird.
-Hopping while going downhill makes you go faster
-Steering while hopping outside of a boost is what slows you down

Points 1 and 3 are what actually led to some advanced hopping in MK7. Point 1 also let doing a mini turbo on a straight be faster than driving straight for some vehicles, and this applied for the fastest vehicles so... yeah. It's MK64-style SSMTs though, no MKDD, MKDS, or MKWii-style snaking.

However, point 4 is extremely important. Most players don't know that to start a drift you should do your hop but not actually start steering until you hit the ground. If you start drifting in midair then, over the course of 3 laps, you will lose a shitload of time. You will not only lose speed but you will have to take worse lines to get red MTs that people who drift "correctly" get with optimal lines.

And in some cases, like Koopa Cape, you can't take certain shortcuts well if you aren't drifting properly because you won't charge your reds in time.

To end this on a completely unrelated note, lolMonsterWheels.

Regiruler

It's a chore to drive on those tracks, it feels so slow. Sorry

Oh I could care less how they play. Sherbert Land is gorgeous while MW is an eyesore. Bright snow scenes are ugly.
At least you didn't mention any of the sacred trinity.
For those who don't know, how hopping worked in MK7 was more like this:

-Hops where you don't press the control stick are the same speed as driving straight
-Hopping during a boost doesn't slow you down. Sometimes. It depends. It's weird.
-Hopping while going downhill makes you go faster
-Steering while hopping outside of a boost is what slows you down

Points 1 and 3 are what actually led to some advanced hopping in MK7. Point 1 also let doing a mini turbo on a straight be faster than driving straight for some vehicles, and this applied for the fastest vehicles so... yeah. It's MK64-style SSMTs though, no MKDD, MKDS, or MKWii-style snaking.

However, point 4 is extremely important. Most players don't know that to start a drift you should do your hop but not actually start steering until you hit the ground. If you start drifting in midair then, over the course of 3 laps, you will lose a shitload of time. You will not only lose speed but you will have to take worse lines to get red MTs that people who drift "correctly" get with optimal lines.

And in some cases, like Koopa Cape, you can't take certain shortcuts well if you aren't drifting properly because you won't charge your reds in time.

To end this on a completely unrelated note, lolMonsterWheels.
I'm going to play though a bit of 7 and try to take note of a few things. IIRC, you needed to start steering before the hop ended to take some of the more nasty turns.
It could be my imagination though as I am pretty much on autopilot when I play mario kart.

EDIT: Yep, your cornering is improved if you hold the direction through the hop. Or at least you are able to take the turn much earlier.

So, here is a master list

Item distribution rebalancing. This includes:

And the rest...

Fix the bug that causes communication errors whenever a player quits without voting

That is fixed. I guess somebody should have made a thread about it because nobody seems to know. And it's been like a week at least

clav

Today I learned about bunny hopping in MK8.

Wow. No wonder I can't catch up to some people on some clean laps.

Roo

Meh, I don't really care about fire hopping.
I do it all the time in worldwide races.
Not because I want to but I refuse to lose against someone who does it without fighting.

The only place where I don't do it is in GAFcc because it's an stupid thing to do in a closed room, specially when the scores reset every week or after getting 1030points.
If they remove it.. fine.. If they don't well.. it's shame for those who have to deal with it.

789shadow

Banned
Remove coins. A mechanic that only exists to punish the player for not going out of your way to get them, and worse, punishes you for having the GALL to get hit by the inherently random items.

Redrop

Firehopping/Bunnyhopping is a mechanic that requires practice and predictive decision making in order to use efficiently. It, like oh so many emergent mechanics in videogames, will be lambasted by those that don't wish to exceed their comfort zone and actually take the time to learn it. Fighting games have largely ignored this syndrome because they're generally marketed with the intention of having a higher skill ceiling, and because the fighting game community has a rich appreciation of the metagame (usually).

Glass Joe

Remove coins. A mechanic that only exists to punish the player for not going out of your way to get them, and worse, punishes you for having the GALL to get hit by the inherently random items.

Coins reward the player that grab them with a slightly higher max speed though. Sometimes in online play I make it a point to grab more even if I have 10, just so others can't. Anyone (flc?) know how significant the speed advantages are between 0 and 10 coins? And are they worth it in time trials since they're not always on the most optimized paths?

789shadow

Banned
Coins reward the player that grabs them with a slightly higher max speed though. Sometimes in online play I make it a point to grab more even if I have 10, just so others can't. Anyone (flc?) know how significant the speed advantages are between 0 and 10 coins? And are they worth it in time trials since they're not always on the most optimized paths?
Wrong. Coins punish the player by lowering their max speed for not taking bad lines to get them. They also punish the player for getting hit by items, which is unforgivable bullshit.

Top Bottom