• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

Regiruler

Remove coins. A mechanic that only exists to punish the player for not going out of your way to get them, and worse, punishes you for having the GALL to get hit by the inherently random items.

Fuck no.
Coins exist as a "investment" system. In Mario Kart 8, coins are often placed in sections where you have to be on a slightly less desirable path to obtain a large quantity, decreasing your long-term time for a short term speed loss from deviating from the optimal path. You must make this decision multiple times as coins are drained from you due to being hit by items, and it is a matter of skill to obtain the most amount of coins as quickly as possible for the least time cost. However, you must also anticipate other player's movements, and if a player right in front of you is going for them, you have to determine the accuracy with which he will hit all the coins ahead, and you either A) try and salvage as much time as possible by adjusting your course to a more desirable one or B) go through an alternate set of coins, as sometimes they run parallel to each-other.

And on the item complaint: much like a trading card game, where the creature/monster they draw is determined by chance but they will still beat your face in with some method, the individual items themselves are random, the probability you will be slapped in the face is near 100%. You're almost assured to lose progress.

Yep, your cornering is improved if you hold the direction through the hop. Or at least you are able to take the turn much earlier.
This is why it's sometimes done while you're boosting, yeah.

Outside of a boost, though, it's not worth it. You lose too much speed and it's never necessary to take a turn.

flc: You a Player's Page user by any chance?

789shadow

Banned
Fuck no.
Coins exist as a "investment" system. In Mario Kart 8, coins are often placed in sections where you have to be on a slightly less desirable path to obtain a large quantity, decreasing your long-term time for a short term speed loss from deviating from the optimal path. You must make this decision multiple times as coins are drained from you due to being hit by items, and it is a matter of skill to obtain the most amount of coins as quickly as possible for the least time cost. However, you must also anticipate other player's movements, and if a player right in front of you is going for them, you have to determine the accuracy with which he will hit all the coins ahead, and you either A) try and salvage as much time as possible by adjusting your course to a more desirable one or B) go through an alternate set of coins, as sometimes they run parallel to each-other.
All of which is irrelevant because A) Coins do not solve any existing problem with the game, and B) You've essentially said the same thing I have: "Coins punish you for taking good lines."

flc

Coins reward the player that grab them with a slightly higher max speed though. Sometimes in online play I make it a point to grab more even if I have 10, just so others can't. Anyone (flc?) know how significant the speed advantages are between 0 and 10 coins? And are they worth it in time trials since they're not always on the most optimized paths?

depends on the vehicle. 1 speed 10 coins = 5.75 speed 0 coins, and 5.75 speed 10 coins is like a second per lap faster.

hard to really quantify it since it differs so much

that said, going out of your way for coins early on in the race is usually not a good idea if you're in 1st. save that for after you have a little breathing room.

Glass Joe

Find a way to help those people that have online error codes that no one seems to care about.

I have a Belkin router which is pretty crap for Nintendo systems. I never let it bother me much because I didn't play online much. Just figured games like Wii Sports Club had bad coding because sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't. And I could always download on the eShop no problem. So with MK8 I decided to look into it further.

Advice like setting the Wii U outside the DMZ may be enough for some, but that alone didn't help me. Doing that and in addition, port forwarding, helped quite a bit. I forgot where I found the list of ports, but looking at my settings I have these forwarded:

prag16

Banned
see the way the WR bounces off the flower here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgW0IbT_7E

or the way the WR bounces off the drums here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIIN-L5ahuo

and the slide on the wario stadium double jump I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DLYSnLDB4

these are almost certainly not intentional, but in all three cases, the time they save is more than the time saved by bunny hops on each respective track. the flower bounce on DK Jungle saves over 0.5 seconds per lap (the bunny hops on this track save about 0.3-0.4), the bounces on Music Park save almost 2 seconds per lap (since not drift bouncing the first drum takes all of your speed away), and the slides on Wario Stadium save a second.

What is this I don't even.

The only thing "wrong" with any of those videos is the fire hopping. Nothing else is any kind of indiscernible secret.

As for your other complaint about how they could "break" it by "fixing" it... I suppose, but all they really need to do is remove the glitch that allows the boost to persist far beyond it's usual allotted time. Hopping at other times I doubt anybody cares about. It's only this boost extension glitch (hence "fire" hopping) that people are upset about.

Statistic page! Please, Nintendo! I wanna see ma stats!

How many races I've raced in. Most used character, total distance driven, item usage stats, how many times I've raced on a specific track, etc.

More stats!

Also, fix Battle Mode 'cause it's trash right now. No reason to take the lazy route and not add in the familiar tracks everyone's fallen in love with while also creating new ones.

For some reason I never thought about a stat page, but yes that would be great to see all those "little" things you've accomplished in the game since they do tend to add up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Allow you change your racer/kart configuration in between online races. How was this left out? I guess the same way the options menu was left out.

Zemm

I would love to be able to change the buttons around, it's pretty clumsy to look backwards since I have accelerate on Y and rear view on X, I have to do some claw like manouvere when I want to see behind.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Allow you change your racer/kart configuration in between online races. How was this left out? I guess the same way the options menu was left out.

Having to leave the game entirely to change racer is so stupid, how did no one on the dev or Q&A team bring it up?

Glass Joe

Having to leave the game entirely to change racer is so stupid, how did no one on the dev or Q&A team bring it up?

It's probably due to them not wanting to slow the game down and them not wanting people to change racers/kart types to the optimal ones for each course selected.

Parapraxis

I made an excel chart with everybody's suggestions.

I will make a thread highlighting GAF's top 10 requests.

---------------------

Been following this thread a lot, I will list my main issues here:

Gamepad Screen
should not be split during local or online multiplayer.
The user holding the gamepad should be able to have that full screen to themselves.

Battle arenas.
I personally do not feel MK8 is yet a "finished" game.
Battle arenas are essential to me, and the options available with anti-grav are insane, battling in a sphere would be pretty kick ass don't ya think?

Control Options
At character select, or kart setup.
Having to pause the game right at the start of the race to turn off tilt controls is HORRIBLE!
It can really mess people up st the start.

Player Stats
these are quite important for ANY racing game. How many coins, stickers (a viewer as well),best lap times etc.

Save Slots
There should be at least 3 for your favourite kart setups.

Lap Times
If I am placing first or just squeaking by in any other position, I want to know how far ahead or how razor close it was.
This would be a SIMPLE thing to add!

Mini-map on screen!!
Dear lord Nintendo, at LEAST for single player. I don't even touch the gamepad when playing MK8, throw that shit in the bottom right corner!

-----------------------------------------

I can put the spreadsheet online if ppl want, suggest a host.

Going to post our top 10 requests some time tonight!

Top Bottom