• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Request Thread

bumpkin

They need to dial down the rubberband a few notches, especially on 150cc. No Mario Kart prior to 8 has ever made me seriously consider not bothering to get 1st on all of the GPs.

eXistor

Agreed on all points, it's a wonderful game in its core, but options-wise it lets a lot to be desired. Most if not all these oversights can be fixes though. Will they? I doubt it, but we can hope.

Peterthumpa

I wonder what is the REAL possibility that Nintendo could fix some of these complaints. How's MK7 online nowadays? Did it ever needed fixing?

Yeah what is it that people don't like about Rainbow Road? It is less similar to all the others since 64 but I not sure what people hate about it in particular. Do they find it too hard or something?

I wonder what is the REAL possibility that Nintendo could fix some of these complaints. How's MK7 online nowadays? Did it ever needed fixing?

The 3DS can get patches so logically, so can the Wii U. MK7 was patched to fix some huge shortcuts cause by a glitch.

I would love them to allow us to set up some basic preferences for the highlight reels. I always change mine to either full or 60 seconds. Would love to not have to do that after every race.

Delete the new rainbow road.

And sunshine airport. Or ban everyone who chooses it. I can't look at this shit anymore, even if it was good, it would still be unbearable by now, considering how everyone keeps taking it.

-Give everyone the option to vote for any course they would like (similar to Mario Kart Wii), this will improve the variety of maps to race and minimize the repeating courses that many have complained about while racing online.

haha, no. I had way too many hours of people spamming (and for some reason always getting) the shitty first course in MK7. There's always going to be a map preference, the new system at least weakens that a little.
Real online necessity: Fix the fucking disconnects and now the inability to join friend's rooms if they're full or something.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

They patched some earlier exploits online in MK7 but I think recently another track glitch was discovered.

As for Wii U games they've been patching and updating their games more than ever before, the list in the OP is extensive but realistic.

Also make Mario Kart TV replay thing not terrible kthx

I mean I guess its better than nothing but why its so hard to find a damn highlight and with the canned angle(?) is just silly

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, what? The current method ensures a wider variety of maps gets played than in Wii and 7. I've never played Rainbow Road 5 times in a row in 8 like I have on Wii.

We had one time a couple weeks ago where Music Park got played every other track, like 4 times. Was nuts.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of (but not all) the suggestions here. Game could definitely use some patching to fix things up.

I think MKTV really should be improved. Let us upload things in slow motion, pick start/end times and camera angles for highlights, and upload whole races. Even if this is under an "advanced" option with the current MKTV highlights being the default, that would be better than it is now (read: near-useless).

corn_fest

- Fix the item distribution

Seriously, as it stands, I'd rather play MKWii. Coins all day in first place, single shells in last. Fuck that.

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

This is my biggest request. While the reels are very nice, 95% of the time I just want to go to the next race.

pvpness

-Change "View Highlight Reel" to second choice and move "Next Race" to first choice that is automatically highlighted after each race, so next race can be selected more quickly and would be the preferred choice.

Hmm. I guess I'm in the minority for this one cause I like the replay being the first option. That way you can't quickly skip it if impatience gets the better of you and you have to spam "A". Even if you do accidentally view the replay you only have to hit A two more times to go immediately to the next race and the load times almost don't exist. I dunno, I like it. I haven't missed out on a replay I wanted to watch once.

Options are great even tho I wouldn't use the other things you list, but full time voice chat with buddies couldn't hurt.

DLC should be a miiverse poll of the top 4 maps people want , at least for the first one.

Retro fan pack, must include a rainbow road

I'll vote for SNES rainbow road infinite times
Also DK jungle, bowsers castle N64 and koopa beach SNES B^)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I mean adding the reverse courses that are already in game to the map selection online.

That might be an option, I know you can make a Mirror Mode lobby/tourney. Not sure if you can do mixed, if not, that should be an option.

I've also seen people say swapping characters and vehicle parts between races is an option but the GAF lobbies and regional/WW have it disabled. I have no idea if that is true or not since I've never made one to see what the options are.

Whaaat. It's the best new track, this thread is nuts.

I like the track, but it does kind of get overplayed online. Anytime it shows up you can guarantee at least half the people are going to pick it.

Christine

I strongly prefer the existing behavior here. If you hit the 'View Highlight Reel' selection and want to move to the next race instead, you can just keep mashing 'A' and you''ll move on in under a second. If you skip the highlight, on the other hand, you have to load the Mario Kart TV mode to see it again.

- Add battle mode tracks

As it stands battle mode is completely pointless. Using standard tracks just doesn't work. Just take battle mode tracks from MK64 if you have to.

- Add more multiplayer modes

Shine tag / bomb attack party etc

- Fix the item distribution in multiplayer/online

Items barely have an impact. If you're near the back after the first corner then your race is practically over. Being in first place is now the safest place on the track.

Mareg

Only thing I would change is in local-multi. I would patch-in an option to end the race after a set timer (30 sec) for the last muti-player to the finish line.
That would help eleviate the pain of having to wait for my younger boy to finish the race 2min after every other member of the family.

Tom Nook

I would add-in the following:

ability to preset kart settings (a preset for racing and battle)
options menu (music player)
real battle courses (classic ones too)

edit: the ability to have online grandprix. (My brother and I would help each other out getting 3 stars on 150cc)

Azure J

No mentions of getting a coin counter so you can see how many you've collected instead of guessing when you'll acquire the golden glider? :p

I'd also like to add:

- Make an option so that rear view can be toggled between the full screen rear view and a small picture in picture box in one of the corners that shows things behind yourself while the majority of the screen is the full view of your current race.

- In that same place (normally), add a minimap showing the racer's locations and/or lap times for the race thus far.

- Preset kart/character combinations (3 per Mii)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Rainbow Roads, what is wrong with them in this game?

People hate the new Rainbow Road because they are bad at it.

RR64 could use some work. It's short, easy, and basically a drag-race. Making it two laps would help a lot, but I'd also redo the item boxes so there is another set of them. They are kind of far apart as it is, lead changes are pretty unlikely for the entire "second lap" unless red shells or something pop up.

Azure J

People hate the new Rainbow Road because they are bad at it.

RR64 could use some work. It's short, easy, and basically a drag-race. Making it two laps would help a lot, but I'd also redo the item boxes so there is another set of them. They are kind of far apart as it is, lead changes are pretty unlikely for the entire "second lap" unless red shells or something pop up.

Yeah, RR64 needs to be longer (2 or 3 laps Nintendo pls). That course is so much fun but it sucks how it's essentially shorter than Mt. Wario while being way more dynamic and fun.

I've had so many people come over to play Mario Kart 8 and end up confused over how to customize their kart, and they end up with some weird unsurvivable monstrosity. I'd like to be able to keep everyone on standard karts, or some button everyone can press on that screen that's "give me the normal thing."

Ysiadmihi

Banned
There's really nothing wrong with the new Rainbow Road itself, but the first turn of the first lap is a gigantic pain in the ass thanks to the slipstream boost.

Nyoro SF

The new rainbow road sucks because it's even more prone to collisions knocking you off the map than any other MK game. The first two turns in particular are just murder, you'll be cutting a close drift and then BUMP BOOST or SLIPSTREAM your ass off the edge.

I hope a patch comes soon but I highly doubt courses will be modified....

prag16

Banned
In Online Multiplayer w/ friends:
-Add option to party up and throw party into lobby with open spots.

This is the #1 thing I want by far.

Other secondary items:
-Fix the rest of the lost connection issues which still remain after the change they made last week
-Tweak item balance; e.g. 2nd place should not be able to get crazy 8 and triple reds; 8th place should not be able to get coins.
-Stat tracking to the extent that Wii had
-Bring back ability to spectate full lobby (without worsening lost connection issue)
-Option for main screen minimap
-Ability to pipe all game sound through the gamepad while NOT using off-TV play mode
-Remove firehopping exploit. Makes time trial leaderboards worthless, and I've been starting to see this used online more lately

Top Bottom