• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

KooopaKid

Banned
Love doesn't pay the bills. These commentators ought to go out and buy some software.

Love can indirectly pay the bills, it's called positive word-of-mouth which can transforms into positive momentum and more sales. We'll see but it doesn't really matter anyway, even as a niche console, Nintendo will keep supporting the system until 2016. Even if the games announced at E3 were the last, the investment would have been worth it for me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'd argue love often precedes that. Although I can't say if what we're seeing here is that kind of love. In any case it's a good sign.

Love can indirectly pay the bills, it's called positive word-of-mouth which can transforms into positive momentum and more sales. We'll see but it doesn't really matter anyway, even as a niche console, Nintendo will keep supporting the system until 2016. Even if the games announced at E3 were the last, the investment would have been worth it for me.
Wii U wouldn't suddenly make a U turn in terms of sales. The image recovery is of paramount importance. From the OS fixes to a Mario Kart which did manage to impress, as much as their E3 performance, Nintendo is winning this image battle, which seemed impossible not so long ago.

Axass

9aae2.png

Posted this in the thread when it broke 1.2 millions. Still true.

Pikma

Banned
Love doesn't pay the bills. These commentators ought to go out and buy some software.

I'm sure there's a Vita joke that could marvelously fill this post around somewhere.. but I won't say it because I like you a lot Smoky, you're an awesome gaffer in my book. :p

Kouriozan

Mario Kart is one of the few evergreen title that keep selling 2 years after its launch.
And no doubt Amiibo will boost this a little more.

freddy

Banned
It's just that Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm is getting to me.

Why cant you use ignore instead of shitting up the forum then? I mean your little crusade against him might be interesting to you and heating up but to everyone else it's just you flying in to shit on him out of the blue...

TDLink

.8 in the 4 weeks after 1.2 in the first couple days is great. Sure, maybe .8 is slightly below what it could be, but it's still damn good. 2 million in less than a month. There is no way this number can be spun as a bad thing, especially with the console's install base. Mario Kart is one of the franchises with the longest legs too. It's going to have great sales all year. Probably a dip now after this first release month, but it's going to do great during the holidays as more people pick up the console.

Asd202

Why cant you use ignore instead of shitting up the forum then? I mean your little crusade against him might be interesting to you and heating up but to everyone else it's just you flying in to shit on him out of the blue...

Yeah you're right. Sorry marc^o^.

Haines

Banned
Crazy kart can so well but a game like 3d world not even close to that.

Hopefully this spells good sales for smash as well.

phanphare

Banned
.8 in the 4 weeks after 1.2 in the first couple days is great. Sure, maybe .8 is slightly below what it could be, but it's still damn good. 2 million in less than a month. There is no way this number can be spun as a bad thing, especially with the console's install base. Mario Kart is one of the franchises with the longest legs too. It's going to have great sales all year. Probably a dip now after this first release month, but it's going to do great during the holidays as more people pick up the console.

I think people are also forgetting Mario Kart's long legs. this game will continue to sell as long as the Wii U is Nintendo's main home console. so 2017-ish probably.

Davey Cakes

I think people are also forgetting Mario Kart's long legs. this game will continue to sell as long as the Wii U is Nintendo's main home console. so 2017-ish probably.
True. And considering the attach rate already, I'd predict that further MK8 sales will coincide with Wii U sales as those long legs stretch out. This is also why the bundle is a good thing.

MK8 and Wii U are holding hands and running through the prairie on this one.

sörine

Banned
The game hasn't hit even 50% of what it's going to do lifetime. Polygon's going to be proven wrong on virtually every point in their braindead article.

phanphare

Banned
True. And considering the attach rate already, I'd predict that further MK8 sales will coincide with Wii U sales as those long legs stretch out. This is also why the bundle is a good thing.

yeah I actually think Mario Kart 8, on just the current install base, will sell as much as NSMBU (which is over 4 million I believe). so taking future console sales into consideration I'd imagine Mario Kart 8 will finish anywhere between the 5-8 million mark. possibly even more, but I think that range is a solid guesstimate.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just love these "1,2 mio. first 2 days vs. 0.8 mio for the rest of the month" posts. Because that's how the games sales work, linearly. I guess Watch_Dogs selling 4 mio. in the first week means in will sell 16 mio. in the first month, right?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I think the better picture is that Mario Kart is a pro marathon runner trying to piggyback the fat smoking friend of his, Wii U, around the track.

random25

I'm not sure that sounds like you want it to sound....

Reading that multiple times...yeah it may sound weird than intended :p

yeah I actually think Mario Kart 8, on just the current install base, will sell as much as NSMBU (which is over 4 million I believe). so taking future console sales into consideration I'd imagine Mario Kart 8 will finish anywhere between the 5-8 million mark. possibly even more, but I think that range is a solid guesstimate.

2 million in just one month is already a big headstart for it to sell at least 6M ltd. MK8 has long legs, plus this is just May. It may sell in trickles for the rest of the month but come the holidays we'll see a good boost in sales for MK8. 4 million until December 2014? Pretty doable IMO. And even after than it will still sell even by a few amounts. It can easily beat Super Circuit ltd.

This is amazing especially considering the installed userbase. Things could really change around for the Wii U if Nintendo continues to push the system.

Im buying my copy today!

Top Bottom