• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids is one gorgeous game! Let's share our screenshots

Neiteio

Speaking of Captain Toad, I was happy to see Toad and Toadette showing up in Mario + Rabbids within like the first 15 minutes. Love those two!

I also love how this game has a 3D model viewer (and an art gallery, and a sound test, and tarot cards). I found the model for Toadette. :-3

spad3

DIWLrPNUMAINEl2.jpg:large

yo close this thread. we already got the best screenshot right here.

Neiteio

...what? How and what are you assuming here? lol
He's joking about Game Freak's history where performance is concerned. They tend to push certain areas at the technical expense of others.

Like the 3DS Pokemon games chug in battles with 3D on... probably because Game Freak squeezed in future-proofed HD-ready character models for all of the Pokemon.

goldenpp72

...what? How and what are you assuming here? lol

Has a Pokemon game ever been a technical or artistic rival to other impressive titles on a platform? I like the series but it's always been very C to B feeling production wise. Just them allowing something that resembles a cutscene was mind blowing to me lol.

spad3

He's joking about Game Freak's history where game performance is concerned. They tend to push certain areas at the technical expense of others. Like the 3DS Pokemon games chug in battles with 3D on... probably because Game Freak squeezed in future-proofed HD-ready character models for all of the Pokemon.

That's because they didn't care for the 3D side of things.

The models that they used in the Pokedex apps were great, improving on those and allowing them to follow you in this game engine would be a dream

Mory Dunz

yeah for sure

prefer the look of 3d world/captain toad to mario rabbids tbh

yeah, I really like the environments, but in terms of the Mario, Luigi, etc models? I much prefer the 3D World, Odyssey, MK8 style.

If we're talking a mario rpg the more detailed MK8 style models would be perfect. Though it'll never happen. Hey, I just want a Paper Mario and I might even prefer if M&L stays 2D. Imagine high quality 2D spirtes mario in 1080....

yeah for sure

prefer the look of 3d world/captain toad to mario rabbids tbh

I dunno, I think Rabbids trumps them in most areas tbh. Then again, I think Captain Toad is a better looking games as a whole than 3D world. Rabbids looks pretty crazy. The AA solution is fantastic.

Neiteio

Game looks good, but just about every screenshot in the OP looks identical.
They're all from the first hour of the game — actually first 20 min if you're not stopping every few feet to take screens like I did! There are different visual elements or layering of elements in each shot, but yeah, they're all from the same area, so if you're just scrolling through they might look kinda samey. :)

More like Jawdrop engine. Congrats to Ubisoft. I don't have the game, but based on those screenshots, it looks better than ARMS, which I think was the best-looking Switch game until now.

AzaK

It's an OS level thing. The Switch saves screenshots as 720p jpgs. Doesn't really bother me, personally.

Thanks; I wondered if they were 720. It also looks like they anti-alias them. Someone at Nintendo expected you to only view your Switch screenshots in handheld mode it seems

Roo

More like Jawdrop engine. Congrats to Ubisoft. I don't have the game, but based on those screenshots, it looks better than ARMS, which I think was the best-looking Switch game until now.

It's interesting you mention ARMS because although I love the game, I don't think it's pushing the hardware at all. Lots of low res textures and low poly objects.

Anyway, this game is absolutely gorgeous. This is what an actual passion project looks like.

hydruxo

I don't even have a Switch but wow this game is fucking gorgeous. I adore this artstyle with all the vibrant colors.

Ryoku

Thanks; I wondered if they were 720. It also looks like they anti-alias them. Someone at Nintendo expected you to only view your Switch screenshots in handheld mode it seems
Screenshots are saved as compressed jpegs at 720p. I loathe it, but it's what we got for now (without a capture card).

Usobuko

Banned
It's really beautiful and has its own identity. I just find it a shame it has to do with Rabbids.

But then it's a collaboration with Ubisoft so there's no IP I like that goes well with Mario.

It's interesting you mention ARMS because although I love the game, I don't think it's pushing the hardware at all. Lots of low res textures and low poly objects.

Anyway, this game is absolutely gorgeous. This is what an actual passion project looks like.

I don't think it's pushing it either, but it's still the one that had produced the most advanced and polished visuals until now, I would say.

DD66_A7_IVYAAp9_Bx.jpg

DD66_V1v_Uw_AAybwq.jpg

Mario + Rabbids legit looks like, "Yeah, we're not on Wii U anymore."

So want to play this -- my time/budget won't allow it for now-- yet all those delectable screenshots are coming thiiiiiis close to making me cave.

johnvr

Not sure what's going on, but docked the game looks amazing to me. Undocked however, it's a blurry, washed out mess. I'm not usually sensitive to things like this. I've seen a few other people say the same thing online also thinking they are crazy. Anyone else having this issue undocked?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Is there anything about Captain Toad that prevents playing on a single screen, thus making a Switch port less likely?

I think I'll have to cave and buy a Switch if Captain Toad and Pikmin 3 are ever ported.

Is there anything about Captain Toad that prevents playing on a single screen, thus making a Switch port less likely?

I think I'll have to cave and buy a Switch if Captain Toad and Pikmin 3 are ever ported.
Yep there's dual screen gameplay in some stages and I believe microphone and touch? A sequel makes more sense.

nightside

Looks great. Finally after years Nintendo has put together a hardware that doesn't use outdated architecture and it shows. Usually only first party games looked so good.

The aesthetic of this game is absolutely mesmerizing. It didn't look this good in earlier vids.

I can't tell if it's the art or some effects.

Cartho

It's just utterly gorgeous. The art style is sublime, the colours vibrant, the details astounding. I especially love the soapy bubblebath area in world 1. It's stunning, all that lovely goopy foam contrasting with the brilliant blue water.

Drinkel

I love how it looks, it's giving me Digimon World vibes, but more colorful. The combination of out of place real-life objects and the environment. Also there is something about the perspective and shading that reminds me a lot of pre-rendered backgrounds in old RPG:s.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm not falling for you cheap spoilers, Neiteio. I shall persevere for my day-zero preordered copy to finally arrive here, after so many days of anticipation. You shall not break me.

/scrolls through thread just a little bit

Peltz

I'll be honest, I haven't really been looking at this game much, but damn the lighting is so on point. The sacrifice to 30fps seems worth it for this game.

Is this the first big-budget 30fps game built from the ground up for Switch? If so, it just goes to show how little we've actually seen as far as what Switch is capable of when pushing the presentation-envelop.

Zelda really doesn't count considering it's a port.

I still can't get over how hideous and simplistic the text boxes are. Would a little transparency have hurt them? A soft outline on the fonts? How about letters appearing with some kind of effect? How about not plain white for the background? How about not plain black for the letters? How about a font that looks like it belongs in a Mario game?

HeySeuss

This is one pretty game. I'm no technical expert by any stretch, but some of that texture work looks really nice. And is DKrabbid scratching his ass with Rabbid Peach? Because awesome

Neiteio

I'll be honest, I haven't really been looking at this game much, but damn the lighting is so on point. The sacrifice to 30fps seems worth it for this game.

Is this the first big-budget 30fps game built from the ground up for Switch? If so, it just goes to show how little we've actually seen as far as what Switch is capable of when pushing the presentation-envelop.

Zelda really doesn't count considering it's a port.
This game indeed looks amazing (I was inspired to start this thread after all), but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe shows you can achieve similarly amazing visuals at 1080p 60fps on Switch, as well. I think the big difference here is what appears to be abundant anti-aliasing for a smoother image. Hence the 30 fps... Although I have no problems with the framerate in Mario + Rabbids. Maybe it's the animation blending or some other effect, but the game feels very fluid and responsive to play.

Aleh

Has a Pokemon game ever been a technical or artistic rival to other impressive titles on a platform? I like the series but it's always been very C to B feeling production wise. Just them allowing something that resembles a cutscene was mind blowing to me lol.
Lol, now not even a Mario+Rabbids thread is safe from pointless GameFreak bashing.

shamanick

I don't see it. There are lots of colors but man some of the art is bad. I'm sure the game is great though, and probably looks different (better) in motion

Top Bottom