• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny on The Verge (GPU, elite controller, etc)

Folks, the "second GPU" is simply Cerny trying to impart in layman's terms the doubling of CU's without getting into more tech-speak about what a CU is. It's not a second GPU, it's not even a second 'module' like you see with Jaguar. They just disable half the compute units in PS4 mode. Adding another GPU or another module would be custom engineering for absolutely no purpose, it's ridiculous.

Here's a diagram of the RX480. While an APU, the GPU portion of the Pro is going to be laid out very similarly.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-polaris-10-full-slide-deck-leak/

The "No Elite controller" reason is dumb and inconsistent with the fact that PS4 Pro exists, but it's PR talk so whatever. It's along the lines of "Rumble is last gen". It sucks though, I'd really like an official elite controller. Right now I'm hooking up my Xbox Elite to my PS4 via CronusMax because it's hard to go back.

This is the dumbest thing.

Congrats on your vast wisdom Cerny, but after getting the Elite at launch I've been buying all my multiplatform games on X1. DS4 is garbage, especially for FPS.

wotta

Pretty interesting quote from Games Industry.

"Cerny also explains how Pro can effectively produce over 8 teraflops."

Interestingly, when looking at the architectural improvements that PS4 Pro offers, Cerny pointed out that the way the system handles computing enables it to provide more than the base 4.2 teraflops that have been advertised. "It's possible to perform two 16-bit operations at the same time, instead of one 32-bit operation. In other words, with full floats, PS4 Pro has 4.2 teraflops of computational power. With half floats, it now has double that -- which is to say, 8.4 teraflops of computational power. As I'm sure you understand, this has the potential to radically increase the performance of games," he commented.

8 Teraflops. Worth it's own thread?

I don't care for a 'Pro' controller, just give me one with asymmetrical thumbsticks. It's not just a question of being used to it, I have long thumbs/fingers and in the heat of say Doom, I always tend to bump my thumbs together when things get frantic and my thumbs slide around a bit. I always have to re-position my thumbs constantly.

LordOfChaos

Pretty interesting quote from Games Industry.

"Cerny also explains how Pro can effectively produce over 8 teraflops."

8 Teraflops. Worth it's own thread?

Nah. Half precision has been discussed a lot already. It's nice and can alleviate register pressure, but it's not a magic performance doubler since not all types of graphics work lend themselves well to FP16/half precision.

wotta

Nah. Half precision has been discussed a lot already. It's nice and can alleviate register pressure, but it's not a magic performance doubler since not all types of graphics work lend themselves well to FP16/half precision.

I've had a few glasses of Kraken Rum, so I'll agree with you. :p

Boss Man

I don't care about an "Elite" controller but I wish I could understand what Sony was thinking when they decided the redesigned controller should add another annoying light that always faces the player instead of improving battery life or something.

It's like they gathered a bunch of feedback and decided to actively troll us.

LordOfChaos

I don't care about an "Elite" controller but I wish I could understand what Sony was thinking when they decided the redesigned controller should add another annoying light that always faces the player instead of improving battery life or something.

Might be to improve PS camera/PSVR tracking, as reportedly it loses sight of the lightbar at an angle.

It's also just a slit letting light bleed through, so at least it's not using added battery.

onQ123

Look at all these articles written by me & my ability to twist words

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php

One GPU becomes two

So while the PS4 Pro has a GPU capable of delivering “4.2 teraflops” of power, making it 2.28 times as powerful as the PS4, Cerny says there’s no new architecture in play. Instead, Sony doubled down on the PS4’s AMD GPU -- literally.

“We doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored image of itself, rather like the wings of a butterfly,” he said. “That gives us an extremely clean way to support the 700 existing titles, because we can turn off half the GPU and just run something that's very close to the original GPU.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/3619385/playstation-4-pro-not-so-pro-price-specs-news/

More Power

According to Cerny, the PS4 Pro is 2.28 times faster than the standard PS4. (It’s assumed this number also applies to the PS4 Slim, as there is no hardware difference between the standard PS4 and the PS4 Slim.) Instead of installing a new GPU, the PS4 Pro has a “double-sized one,” Cerny said. The PS4 Pro, essentially, has two of the same GPUs installed, identical to the GPU found in the standard PS4. This, effectively, doubles the processing power of the system, outputting 4.2 teraflops of processing power instead of the 1.8 teraflops the standard PS4 does.

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres...ure-your-existing-ps4-games-work-with-the-pro

Two PS4 graphics cards taped together

The biggest improvement to the Pro is with its GPU, which has seen its power doubled, as well as a small bump in clockspeed from 800MHz to 911MHz.

It's a process that's reminiscent of the Wii, which was commonly reported to be architecturally the equivalent of two Gamecubes taped together, although whereas this generated scorn, when it comes to a mid-generation upgrade like the PS4 Pro it actually makes a lot of sense.

The relative simplicity of this doubling process means that non-Pro games can easily see half the GPU turned off. "We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU” Cerny explains.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/4...need-to-know-about-sony-playstation-4-pro.htm

PS4 Games Will Run Smoothly - Perhaps Even Better - In PS4 Pro
The very reason why Sony has to add an "old GPU" and a mirror of it, which is an upgraded version of the old one, is to let PS4 players still enjoy the same titles in the PS4 Pro. By having the old GPU, gamers can still enjoy PS4's existing library of games and support the game and render in with better graphics. Sony's secret? They made the PS4 Pro in a way that the second GPU will just turn off if it uses the old one to run the PS4 games. To remedy this, some developers provided 4K patches to boost performance and graphics of PS4 games.

IIRC, they just made the same light visible from that angle. I don't think they added one but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, look at the quotes. The same "half of the gpu" quote keeps being here for a good reason.
And the less the outlet is tech focused, the more it is getting it wrong. That should tell you where you're sitting :p

belvedere

Junior Butler

Congrats on your vast wisdom Cerny, but after getting the Elite at launch I've been buying all my multiplatform games on X1. DS4 is garbage, especially for FPS.

The Elite is still a controller, so if you're that concerned with precision you're doing it wrong anyway.

Hyperbolic. I place in fighting game tournaments with a DS4 and can barely perform a special move with an X1 pad. Both controllers have pros and cons IMO.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What happened to this thing? It appeared and disappeared quickly. It also sounded too good to be true, as it's supposed to use the XB Elite modular parts.

ps4-elite-wireless-controller8_0.jpg

Otnopolit

What happened to this thing? It appeared and disappeared quickly. It also sounded too good to be true, as it's supposed to use the XB Elite modular parts.

Well, Cerny said THEY aren't making one... #Believe? It's the only aspect of One owners that I'm jealous of, their beautiful controller (and different game library too, of course.)

onQ123

Yes, look at the quotes. The same "half of the gpu" quote keeps being here for a good reason.
And the less the outlet is tech focused, the more it is getting it wrong. That should tell you where you're sitting :p

If a the GPU is made up of 2 PS4 GPUs than turning off one of the PS4 GPUs is turning off half of the GPU.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Lol.

KageMaru

1 GPU made by adding a 2nd PS4 GPU to the gpu that it already have.

Which do think makes more sense:

1) Taking the 28nm GPU of the PS4, putting effort to shrink this down to 16nm, duct taping a second PS4 GPU on top of it (using your weird theory), and adding additional (possibly Vega) features such as half precision.

OR

2) Taking the RX480, modify it with additional features, and disabling half the CUs when in OG PS4 mode?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What's the differences between the current PS4 controller and the Pro PS4 controller besides the light bar shining through the touchpad? Or is that it? Thanks.

renzolama

Somehow I suspect that a PS4 controller by a third party using a design/name extremely similar to a microsoft product and claiming to have interchangeability with its parts may not have been completely on the level.

Head.spawn

Kind of weird to see worrying about "the haves and the have-nots", when PS4 Pro is about to release.

The release of the PS4 Pro would've been the perfect time to have a 'Pro' version of the controller, even if it isn't included with the console.

How is the build quality on Scuf's? The plastic used on normal PS4 controllers feels kind of crappy IMO, is this a higher quality casing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the differences between the current PS4 controller and the Pro PS4 controller besides the light bar shining through the touchpad? Or is that it? Thanks.

That's it. The battery is the same so no improvements there either.

slapnuts

Which do think makes more sense:

1) Taking the 28nm GPU of the PS4, putting effort to shrink this down to 16nm, duct taping a second PS4 GPU on top of it (using your weird theory), and adding additional (possibly Vega) features such as half precision.

OR

2) Taking the RX480, modify it with additional features, and disabling half the CUs when in OG PS4 mode?

I wonder if a few years back AMD actually created the Rx 480 with its odd SP/CU count to coincide with Sony's upcoming PS4's Pro GPU? You see what im wondering? If we look at OG PS4's CU count...and double it, its exactly what the Rx 480 is. Just throwing that out there i guess...but the Rx 480's SP/CU count is exactly double what OG PS4's gpu is. Makes me wonder if Rx 480 was designed with PS4 Pro in mind a few years back.

I wonder if a few years back AMD actually created the Rx 480 with its odd SP/CU count to coincide with Sony's upcoming PS4's Pro GPU? You see what im wondering? If we look at OG PS4's CU count...and double it, its exactly what the Rx 480 is. Just throwing that out there i guess...but the Rx 480's SP/CU count is exactly double what OG PS4's gpu is. Makes me wonder if Rx 480 was designed with PS4 Pro in mind a few years back.

It's an interesting coincidence, I think the compute unit count is mostly dependent on how many they can fit on a die though.

III-V

Cerny is a madman. A beautiful GPU like the wings of a butterfly. Mirror images. This is poetry in motion folks its quite rare to witness genius such as this. Cannot wait for PRO.

We're not elite enough for a good battery in the controller.

Even at launch I always preferred the Xbox One controller. Since then the controller has improved a lot, and then there's the Elite controller on top of that. Serves me well on PC especially.

Locuza

It will be always some nonsense about the wording and the semantics, won't it?

There is no 2nd PS4 GPU, the PS4 Pro GPU uses the primitive discard accelerator from Polaris together with the delta color compression.
Also every single single Compute-Unit is different because the ALU-Design now supports two FP16-Operations at once.
This is a monolithic ASIC design with updated IP-Blocks.

Talking about a second GPU makes no real sense, there won't be a mirror from the command-processor together with the ACEs, Cerny was basically talking about the shader-engines, which went from two to four.
If you could describe it as a second GPU you also could also say that the PS4 Pro has 4 GPUs and the original PS4 has 2.

Purest 78

Elite controller is no different than using a Scuff. It absolutely gives you a advantage in MP games. In fact I would never use one I don't want a advantage.

Justinh

I think that's unfortunate they won't offer an "elite-styled" controller for their customers.

His quote on the controller is stupid, they're just trying to justify not wanting to innovate or improve on the horrible battery life.
I wonder if it's like they're just not willing to spend the money to do the research, actually make prototypes, and actually produce it or something.

I mean SCUF still exists and will continue to exist, but will cost more money, have half the paddles, and I'm not sure I like the side by side paddle layout and the way the grip looks. I think with third party controller makers there will always be haves and have nots.

I guess by that logic putting a better battery in the controller would split the player base too and is why they haven't done it.

I don't care about elite controllers or 4k (right now) - I just wanted this gen (soon to be 'last' gen) to run games at 1080p/60 @ Ultra settings. So like even Uncharted at 60fps, should have been the minimum benchmark for this gen.

dano1

A Sheep
Can't wait for my new dual GPU console wth the revolutionary ability to turn off one of its GPUs to play games with the same performance that my current console does.

Still getting it.

But the game developers can turn it on if they want. Give me my pro patch!

Bgamer90

Banned
Elite controller is no different than using a Scuff. It absolutely gives you a advantage in MP games. In fact I would never use one I don't want a advantage.

There are people that use cheap third party controllers so I guess people/you shouldn't use the (official) Dualshock 4 either.

Anyway, he should have simply said they don't have any plans to make one and leave it at that. Stating "unity" shortly after talking in-depth about new accessories and hardware models looks silly.

Metfanant

So by your logic...only HALF the GPU has "improved" GCN cores?...and only HALF the GPU supports half precision calculations?..and only HALF the GPU supports all the Polaris and post Polaris goodies?

Top Bottom