• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Henry Appreciation Thread | Let's Give Him A Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The dream world that will never occur is that Mark beats Cena for the title then kills Sheamus for like a month then do Mark vs Bryan because they had some awesome big guy/little guy matches.

Hell, Mark was like the first guy to take Bryan seriously as a main eventer.

TheBear

The dream world that will never occur is that Mark beats Cena for the title then kills Sheamus for like a month then do Mark vs Bryan because they had some awesome big guy/little guy matches.

D-BRY vs Henry in the cage on Smackdown was like one of the best matches I've seen in recent years.

He must have recalled some horribly painful memories, because those tears looked real as fuck. He had some of those Will Smith "Why don't he love me?" tears coming out. Amazing job. Impeccable really.

FreeMufasa

1243908_o.gif

Love this gif.

I agent watched wrestling in so long I didn't know he was still doing it. Last I remember was him fucking some granny

Mush

I was watching Smackdown a few weeks back when he was feuding with Shemouse and he was trying to pull two trucks for a world record, was that just for the promo or was he actually setting a record?

Aiii

So not worth it
I was watching Smackdown a few weeks back when he was feuding with Shemouse and he was trying to pull two trucks for a world record, was that just for the promo or was he actually setting a record?

This is WWE, they set "records" all the time.

WrestleMania sets the attendance record every year during the program, but when they actually count it's almost never true, etc.

So no, no record. Esp. at his age there's no chance Henry could still match the worlds best. He's still plenty strong, but I doubt he can really compete with the best of the best anymore.

Back when he started, I remember Mark Henry scoop slamming Vader like it was nothing. I remember going "whoa!"
Yeah, a lot of the time people in wrestling (or anything really) have all these adjectives or catch phrases attached to them. This guy is beyond legit.

I love Mark Henry and enjoy his matches very much. In a feud vs Cena or most other faces I'd support him.
I thought his feud with Orton really did a great job of highlighting both of them. I never once really felt like one was being "pushed" over the other, but instead I always felt like it was Randy trying to something that was just not possible at the time, which was to beat Henry. I don't think anyone expected that kind of feud between them, but it was pretty good. Neither one came out "on the bottom". Wished more feuds could be like that, but I guess that isn't the nature of the beast.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Back when he started, I remember Mark Henry scoop slamming Vader like it was nothing. I remember going "whoa!"

He is (or at least was) legitimately one of the strongest men on the planet.

Mark Jerrold Henry[17] (born June 12, 1971)[2] is an American powerlifter, Olympic weightlifter, strongman, and professional wrestler who is currently signed to WWE. He was two times an Olympian in 1992 and 1996[1] and a Silver, Gold and Bronze Medalist at the Pan American Games in 1995.[7] As a powerlifter, he was drug-free World Champion (1995)[8] and a two-time U.S. National Champion (1995[9] and 1997[8]) as well as an all-time raw world record holder in the squat and deadlift.[3] Currently, he still holds the WDFPF world records in the squat, deadlift and total[18][19] and the USAPL American record in the deadlift[20][21][22] since 1995. He is credited for the biggest raw squat and raw powerlifting total ever performed by a drug tested athlete, regardless of weight class,[23] as well as the greatest raw deadlift by an American citizen.[20] In weightlifting, Henry was a three-time U.S. National Weightlifting Champion (1993, 1994, 1996),[11] an American Open winner (1992),[14] a two-time U.S. Olympic Festival Champion (1993 and 1994)[3] and a NACAC champion (1996).[7] He holds all three Senior US American weightlifting records of 1993-1997.[

I watched his "retirement" segment(first time I watched wwf in six months).
If he goes over Cena at the ppv, I'll start watching again.

Also, anyone who wants to see his strength, watch him lift & slam Big Show through a table.

Aiii

So not worth it
I watched his "retirement" segment(first time I watched wwf in six months).
If he goes over Cena at the ppv, I'll start watching again.

Also, anyone who wants to see his strength, watch him lift & slam Big Show through a table.

You're missing out if you're not watching Raw right now just because of Cena.

Cena gets maybe 5 to 10 minutes on TV a week nowadays. 15 minutes if he has a match. The rest of the time is divided between AJ/Ziggler/Big E, The Shield, Bryan and company and is pretty frigging great. Bray Wyatt is debuting soon and RVD and Christian just returned to TV.

Also, faces are being faces and heels are being heels (with the exception of Sheamus who is and will forever play a dick). It's pretty amazing how good the past month of WWE has been.

You're missing out if you're not watching Raw right now just because of Cena.

Cena gets maybe 5 to 10 minutes on TV a week nowadays. 15 minutes if he has a match. The rest of the time is divided between AJ/Ziggler/Big E, The Shield, Bryan and company and is pretty frigging great.

I stopped watching because of the way they booked the rumble, which was stupid beyond compare.

Htown

I stopped watching because of the way they booked the rumble, which was stupid beyond compare.

i hear ya

I left for a bit because the shield DQ'd themselves because Cena was about to beat them all by himself in an elimination tag match

Came back when I heard about Daniel Bryan's recent push

If you missed everything post-Rumble, you should go back and watch Punk's matches against Cena and Undertaker

Westlo

Mizzark! You had me fooled!

He better get the strap, D Bry vs Mean Mark @ Summerslam, make it happen Vince/HHH.

Village

Aww, he was my favorite for a minute.

I havent watched wrestling in a year or so though.

I should start back up, but there are some wrestlers who dissapeared and I wonder what happened. Like MVP.

alstein

Aww, he was my favorite for a minute.

I havent watched wrestling in a year or so though.

I should start back up, but there are some wrestlers who dissapeared and I wonder what happened. Like MVP.

MVP was in Japan and won a minor belt there. Unsure what he's doing now. MVP seems to love Japanese stuff.

The best part of this wasn't that they just used Twitter to work people, but also that they used the persistent rumors of Henry's injuries forcing him into retirement to back up the possibility that this could be legit. They worked everyone, and even skeptics still weren't confident about knowing what was going to happen.

smr00

Banned
The best part of this wasn't that they just used Twitter to work people, but also that they used the persistent rumors of Henry's injuries forcing him into retirement to back up the possibility that this could be legit. They worked everyone, and even skeptics still weren't confident about knowing what was going to happen.
Smarks - 10000000000000000
McMahon - 1

He finally got one over the smarks. I have been out of touch for wrestling for a few months now, watched the PPV and was like WUT RVD? and the next night Henry came out acting like he was gonna retire.. I was like what the fuck happened while i was away?!?!?!

Village

MVP was in Japan and won a minor belt there. Unsure what he's doing now. MVP seems to love Japanese stuff.

Dude was one of my favorites man, Its a lot messed up rumors involving him, the us championship, and Chris Benoit.

Anyways I hope him and Mark are doing ok.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Mark was supposed to drop the title to Bryan at Mania after the gradual build up of their feud during his hall of pain run (Bryan was supposed to cash in his MitB to become the #1 contender and main event vs henry at mania), but around December/January, Mark had an injury that forced him to take about a month off, and vince "punished" him by having Bryan cash in and end his reign on an injury angle.

(This, of course, led to Bryan dropping the belt to sheamus in a squash)

strobogo

Banned
Smarks - 10000000000000000
McMahon - 1

He finally got one over the smarks. I have been out of touch for wrestling for a few months now, watched the PPV and was like WUT RVD? and the next night Henry came out acting like he was gonna retire.. I was like what the fuck happened while i was away?!?!?!

The smarks get worked way more often and easily. The smarks are so smart they end up working themselves most of the time.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So am I the only one that saw this coming? Not because Henry did a bad job selling it or anything. Quite the contrary. But I just......had that feeling. I think I would have been sold a lot easier if Cena wasn't in the ring though. The fact Cena stayed in the ring that whole time gave me the feeling it was coming.

So am I the only one that saw this coming? Not because Henry did a bad job selling it or anything. Quite the contrary. But I just......had that feeling. I think I would have been sold a lot easier if Cena wasn't in the ring though. The fact Cena stayed in the ring that whole time gave me the feeling it was coming.
They purposely did a few things to make you think about it from every angle, so no matter what you were unsure. The moment was based on making everyone think "this is fake... isn't it?"

The Cena thing was an obvious tip, but then Henry just kept talking and actually cried, so doubt came back again.

I was 100% certain it was fake before the thing and especially as Henry was coming out with Cena still in the ring, but Mark Henry sold it well enough that I was damn near 100% certain he was really leaving by the end of his speech.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
The crowd really helped. While I should have noticed when he voice didn't crack, those tears and jokes made me believe it were real.

This guy alone really makes me feel like I miss out since I don't watch anymore, I saw glimpses of his title run and it was fantastic, he looked like an actual monster and he screams out the funniest shit.

I was hoping it was fake but he played it perfectly that it was impossible not to buy into it

I still have a bad feeling he will now lose to cena and be forced to retire on the back of it and get shit on on the way out, watch them make it a title v career match now

Htown

I was 100% certain it was fake before the thing and especially as Henry was coming out with Cena still in the ring, but Mark Henry sold it well enough that I was damn near 100% certain he was really leaving by the end of his speech.
it was so damn good

even little touches like "i figure if y'all don't remember me, you'll at least remember this suit"

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Still can't believe how hard I fell for that man, fucking Mark. Incredible.

Vince better give him a raise and a win at MITB for that, seriously.

it was so damn good

even little touches like "i figure if y'all don't remember me, you'll at least remember this suit"

Things like that and when he was bringing up his kids and straight-up denied having the hand with Mae Young in a kinda mad/joking way made me fall hook, line, and sinker.

I don't think I have ever been had like that in all of the years I've watched wrestling, from all the way back in the Hogan days of WWF. Fuck.

He just showed up everyone in the back, young and old - it was perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom