• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark my words Portal will be bigger threat to Xbox than PS5 it Self

tommycronin

9JPy869.jpg

Like anything Sony has done, it really comes down to their support and vision.

Psp was a force to be reckoned with because of the unseen emulation potential

Ps vita... amazing but died almost as it launched.

I'm more worried about support for PSVR2 than Portal.

Portal is a lazy devs best friend if you know what I mean.

How can you not understand it Portal is succeeding where Google Stadia just failed & the biggest difference is that Sony don't have to maintain the servers because they are in people's homes.

You don't have to build a crazy server farm to make it work. The customer is literally buying the server from you.

I just never thought of it that way but your right. Every PS5 is a cloud streaming device and Portal is just an extremely good tool to use it.

Mr Hyde

This doesn't make any sense. You need a PS5 to use Portal. It's an accessory. It's like saying PSVR2 is a bigger threat to Xbox than PS5. Or Pulse 3D headset. Or a Dual sense controller. I don't think many people are sitting at home thinking "I need a Portal so I can play video games", and then goes to purchase a PS5 with it. They purchase a PS5 first and then start thinking about accessories. Alas, PS5 is the main threat to Xbox. And it's growing.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I want to see the legs for this product before I personally call it a success..

What would be crazy if by mid 2025, the Xbox Series console is getting beat by the Playstation Portal in units. That would put it behind the Switch, Switch 2, PS5, PS Portal.

Sony must push cloud for this to even have a chance.

StueyDuck

I'm more worried about support for PSVR2 than Portal.

Portal is a lazy devs best friend if you know what I mean.
im not worried at all, i always saw portal as something that isn't going to set the world on fire and im still not convinced in any way it will either.

i am worried about all VR though including PSVR2, Meta is making the entire VR platform really stupid by making everything worth a damn to own a Quest 3 "exclusive", so even someone like me with a Rift S and in the meta "ecosystem" is still getting absolutely fucked.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
How can you not understand it Portal is succeeding where Google Stadia just failed & the biggest difference is that Sony don't have to maintain the servers because they are in people's homes.
I mean Sony benefit from both.

But Sony were early to realise the benefit of from console streaming. Does anyone remember the patent from about 10 years ago where Sony defined a system whereby users could allow their consoles to be 'leased' as edge cloud servers? (I could be misremembering it)

onQ123

I mean Sony benefit from both.

But Sony were early to realise the benefit of from console streaming. Does anyone remember the patent from about 10 years ago where Sony defined a system whereby users could allow their consoles to be 'leased' as edge cloud servers? (I could be misremembering it)
I actually thought about that & we actually already done this with the PS4 with game sharing with people who didn't own the game but now they could do this with people who don't even own a PS5 .

onQ123

You don't have to build a crazy server farm to make it work. The customer is literally buying the server from you.

I just never thought of it that way but your right. Every PS5 is a cloud streaming device and Portal is just an extremely good tool to use it.
I tried to tell people about this before the consoles released

4LQ7nPe.png

I tried to tell people about this before the consoles released

4LQ7nPe.png

As for me. I was thinking about getting a Dualsense Edge but the Portal might seem like a better buy to me.

onQ123

As for me. I was thinking about getting a Dualsense Edge but the Portal might seem like a better buy to me.
My mind is still blown by the fact that a $200 controller is so successful.

I actually fear Edge's success because I like standards when it comes to console controllers so they will get better support now I worry that stuff will be held back from the next standard controller just so they can sell another $200 controller.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bless you O onQ123 I legit guessed this was one of your threads before reading the thread posters name.

Saying that, you have been right more times than me over the last few years...so you could be onto something here!

Let's see how it plays out.

Might kick microsofts ass into making cloud streaming better.

The argument is entirely weird.
While I personally think the Portal is a crippled design, by choice, but if it makes the PS5 platform better for some or even a lot people, it of course threatens Xbox, by making another positive for a PS5 purchase. But it does not work standalone. Instead of being a PS5 companion/remote play device it sh/could have been a true streaming accessory for either PS5, also PS4 and most importantly Plus without any other hw at home required. But talking about it itself threatening anything especially the cloud space is imho pure BS since it is exactly not a hw agnostic only or as well cloud streaming device.

I loved remote play via Vita, but buying a handheld that should be able to stream from any source and not have any real standalone capabilities is not up my alley. It's also weird enough that PC Plus users currently can't access PS5 streams because those are limited to PS5 users. Kinda mad to not make it the other way round. PC users anyway can't download any of the games, but can't stream PS5 games and also can't just buy the Portal to have a dedicated stream device. Instead everything revolves around a PS5 at individuals' home, the opposite of what cloud streaming is.

Last edited:

onQ123

This doesn't make any sense. You need a PS5 to use Portal. It's an accessory. It's like saying PSVR2 is a bigger threat to Xbox than PS5. Or Pulse 3D headset. Or a Dual sense controller. I don't think many people are sitting at home thinking "I need a Portal so I can play video games", and then goes to purchase a PS5 with it. They purchase a PS5 first and then start thinking about accessories. Alas, PS5 is the main threat to Xbox. And it's growing.

Realize that Xbox whole talk was about PlayStation not being their competition but Google & Amazon. Basically looking at the future where you will be playing your games on mobile devices.

Portal is right there where Google Stadia was supposed to be .

Ozriel

M$FT

Google Stadia - you don’t need a console or PC, we’ll stream it to your browser.

Portal/Remote Play - stream from your console to your handheld or browser

Two entirely different things. Two entirely different target audience. Different ambitions.

Of course there’s the argument to be made that when Sony eventually enables cloud streaming on the Portal, it could very well push it to the success levels that MS has dreamt of with XCloud. But that’s an entirely different thing to your argument in the OP about ‘personal servers’

PlayStation vs. Xbox war just got elevated to the next level of stupid. Congratulations.

I blame companies for going full retard with their metrics. It makes every dumb thing become a discussion.

Stupid levers pulled will be the next thing people brag about.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
At the start maybe but i don't think in long term
On social media i see many casuals happy to have it so their partner or kids can watch tv without being bothered by the console

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I blame companies for going full retard with their metrics. It makes every dumb thing become a discussion.

Stupid levers pulled will be the next thing people brag about.

My question is: why even care about 'metrics' in the first place? Do these people own substantial number of shares in either company?

Last edited:

onQ123

Google Stadia - you don’t need a console or PC, we’ll stream it to your browser.

Portal/Remote Play - stream from your console to your handheld or browser

Two entirely different things. Two entirely different target audience. Different ambitions.

Of course there’s the argument to be made that when Sony eventually enables cloud streaming on the Portal, it could very well push it to the success levels that MS has dreamt of with XCloud. But that’s an entirely different thing to your argument in the OP about ‘personal servers’
You do understand that the only difference is one is owned by the user & the other is being rented out to the user right?

SkylineRKR

I think even with handhelds most gamers play at home (if you want to multiplay, you want a solid wifi anyway). So Portal does make sense in a way. In the end its usage is not much different from Switch Lite I imagine, which most consumers esp. in the west use at home too.

But Portal is still a remote play device. I think it will be a more compelling device if Sony enables Cloud streaming on it. Cloud streaming does work rather well for me, at least Xcloud on Series S does.

Top Bottom