• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel announces "Champions" with Waid/Ramos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/05/marvel-champions?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

marvel-1a.jpg

The new series Champions, from writer Mark Waid and artist Humberto Ramos, features a group of young Marvel heroes - Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales/Spider-Man, Sam Alexander/Nova, Amadeus Cho/The Hulk, Viv Vision, and a younger version of Scott Summers/Cyclops - splitting off from their Avengers forebears in order to change the world themselves. Although there will still be villains to fight and problems to solve with superpowers, Waid and Marvel say this team of Champions will channel more youthful activist energy than Marvel’s traditional superhero teams.

Meet the new Not Young Avengers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So kid/teen Avengers? We'll see if they do anything interesting with this but its not exactly a new or novel idea. I just hope that channeling "more youthful activist energy" involves more than punching out a Super Villain tied to student loans.

I never read any of these teen-focused comics growing up. I just went right from Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield to Calvin and Hobbes and X-Men.

Sesha

Wow, another team with Kamala, Sam and Miles. The rest of teen Marvel am cry. I wish Marvel had been this supportive of their previous teen characters. I really want another X-Men: Academy, Runaways or Araña book. The Young Avengers and Avengers: Academy casts too, for that matter.

Waid/Ramos is a cool and fitting duo, though. Highly stylized art always felt like a natural fit for Waid's writing to me.

Hyped as fuck for this book!! Lots of reasons to be excited for this one.

So...is this a different continuity or did Scott just get turned into a kid somehow recently?

The original five X-Men were brought from the past by Beast about four years ago. They are stuck in the present. They have their own little X-team.

jph139

Oh shit Viv! And the ANAD kids! And Teen Cyke! And Waid!

I'm hyped like crazy, this is like a dream book for me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm down. I dig the characters and the creative team. Hope it's a gateway for other teen characters to show up too, I miss Cullen Bloodstone (I'm probably the only one).

Definitely checking it out... in 6 months.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
On Marvel Unlimited? Try nine or so. Book won't hit shelves until September at the earliest.
Oops, didn't check the date. But yeah, MU is too convenient for me and I don't mind waiting.

Especially because I'm already aware if something is cancelled or not when it shows up there, and I can be mentally prepared when I start reading.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Oops, didn't check the date. But yeah, MU is too convenient for me and I don't mind waiting.

Especially because I'm already aware if something is cancelled or not when it shows up there, and I can be mentally prepared when I start reading.

I hope the group sticks to more street-level stuff (like the Ultimates before the Ultimate universe crapped out) but their power levels are too high for that. If you take out Nova and Amadeus then sure (and Viv if she has the same powers as Vision-- never read that).

I haven't kept up with the Vision ongoing despite the first few issues being absolutely incredible, so it's nice to see that Vision's "daughter" will make it out of that series alive. Teen Cyclops is an interesting addition too. Either way, I'll give anything a read if it has Kamala in it.

Great to see Waid writing, not so much to see Ramos drawing. I'm OK with his style, but there are artists I like more. The mention about "youthful activist energy" seems interesting, maybe they'll do stuff that's more than just reacting to the latest villain attack.

Looks like an interesting concept for a team book and definitely love that these two are teaming up again - Impulse was my jam when they were on it together, book was tons of fun.

Will be keeping an eye out for this and am really digging the roster.

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the logo - looks way too much like the Cleavand Cavaliers logo.

Sou Da

I can't help but think that if it wasn't for Bendis this would be one of Aaron's X-Kids instead of Scott.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I like it. One more platform to give Kamala Khan and Miles Morales more visibility :D

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Marvel just desperately clawing every year for that new fresh market. Miles and Sam are just not gonna be interesting ever, neither is time displaced so-who-cares Cyclops and "Not Hulk". Kamala Khan was interesting back when she had breathing space and wasn't being wildly overused and propping up these sorts of books.

Viv Vision is the only legit interest.

captainpat

I feel like concepts like these are fresh for the first couple of issues and either became generic superhero stuff or super cringy trying-to-stay-current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom