• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel`s Blade Announced | The Game Awards 2023

Ozriel

M$FT
And if you ask Arkane they would rather have the game selling well and being played buy millions of people instead of having all those awards.

I game winning awards is nice and all but if the market reception is bad and it’s not making any money those awards become meaningless. This i business after all.

Don’t worry, Arkane isn’t in danger of being shuttered. And as a consumer, I’m more concerned about the quality of the final title.

Lol @ ‘meaningless awards’. HiFi Rush didn’t set any sales records, but the devs seem very happy at their TGA award.

Flutta

Banned
The Dishonored and Prey series didn’t set the world on fire in sales, yet they’re the games made by the ‘talent’ you claim left Arkane.

It’s your shtick to downplay anything Xbox, so not surprised at all.
I agree. But those games are behoved and have a following and Deathloop does not that’s the difference.

Eh i downplay anything PlayStation. You can ask the PS fans and they will tell you, and sometimes Nintendo, those greedy bastards and PCMR and who ever that deserves critisim.

Either way, all i’m saying is the Blade IP deserves all the care and devs who can handle big IP’s. I want it to be good damnit that is all.

Fredrik

I wonder why PlayStation didn't post the video on their YouTube account. Looks like Xbox did. Xbox Wire also included it in their Game Awards article. I'm surprised that the PlayStation blog has no mention of it. The Xbox X account also posted about the game. I'm guessing PlayStation's X account doesn't think it's worthy enough to mention. It's obvious that none of these things mean anything and the game will definitely be muti-platform.
I tried to find a post by Xbox about it on X but couldn’t find anything, just Bethesda and Marvel. I just don’t see exclusivity happen.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I agree. But those games are behoved and have a following and Deathloop does not that’s the difference.

Eh i downplay anything PlayStation. You can ask the PS fans and they will tell you, and sometimes Nintendo, those greedy bastards and PCMR and who ever that deserves critisim.

Either way, all i’m saying is the Blade IP deserves all the care and devs who can handle big IP’s. I want it to be good damnit that is all.

Uh Huh Sure GIF

I tried to find a post by Xbox about it on X but couldn’t find anything, just Bethesda and Marvel. I just don’t see exclusivity happen.

It would be a very significant surprise if this were multiplat. MS has long communicated that games in franchises with existing multiplayer communities are likely to stay multiplatform.
A single player game that ties Arkane down for years? Highly unlikely. Especially after they negotiated for exclusivity with Indiana Jones with the same IP owner.

Honestly, stuff in Blade can get pretty interesting, especially when watching the live action stuff. But, I'm not sure about games based on the ip, after Deathloop's cum left a sour taste in my mouth, I'm not holding my breath to be honest. People seem too fond of giving both branches of Arkane a free pass, but I think they've been given too many opportunities already. And yes, I do think Dishonored is much better than Deathloop and that's what their focus should've been. A cg cinematic trailer doesn't do anything for me, I'll need to see more.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It would be a very significant surprise if this were multiplat. MS has long communicated that games in franchises with existing multiplayer communities are likely to stay multiplatform.
A single player game that ties Arkane down for years? Highly unlikely. Especially after they negotiated for exclusivity with Indiana Jones with the same IP owner.
Horrible marketing tactics if it is exclusive. Everything else at the event had a Xbox logo, even the Ori devs new No rest for the Wicked which was announced as a multiplat years ago (looks amazing!!)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What kind of superhero is Blade? Like what's gonna be the hook? And how can it even fit immersive sim style gameplay (since no Superhero game so far is anything like that, even the open world ones are all repetitive action, in Batman you only do limited, scripted & streamlined detective things)?

Is he like say, the Supernatural series, going about an urban home setting, finding clues/getting missions about random vampires doing nasty things in secret here or there then prepare and go out and eradicate them guns blazing or infiltrating their dens or what?

Does he fight anything other than vampires to make it more interesting? I just don't know much about the character, other than the first movie being a somewhat fun watch.

I guess he has his vampiric powers (and weaknesses?) you could upgrade as you progress for that aspect of gameplay (as stupid as it may be since he's an established veteran character and not some newborn just discovering his place in the world with what fate handed to him).

Last edited:
Would be cool if it had something like Batman fighting system but with blood and gore. Like that opening scene from the original movie. Or Equilibrium.

P.S. I hope there Blade saying this quote "some motherf*ckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill" somewhere in the story

Last edited:

Killer8

Music and style seems totally at odds with Blade. Expected something a lot darker.

Arkane also haven't made a good game in years.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

this is so strange

The FTC put in a motion recently to stop Microsoft ABK acquisition, even though it has already gone through. In theory, the FTC could use Blade as an example that Microsoft wants to make all ABK games exclusive. so, I think Microsoft is just being extra careful. 95% sure its exclusive. Plus the game is still 4-5 years away most likely

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Go look at the official channels on Youtube or the websites for Marvel and Bethesda. Not a single time is Xbox or even Microsoft said, shown or written.
Exclusivity will not happen this time.
Your point? Still a Microsoft first party studio. Microsoft isn't going to have their developers make a game for their competitors, especially Sony who already has Spiderman and wolverine. If marvel wanted that, there's better more suitable ways to do it - like an independent studio?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You can't be serious...

There's far more a chance it's exclusive than being multiplatform. FAR MORE. Arkane is only an Xbox 1st party dev. What else do you need? Lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's something about Arkane's artstyle thats a massive turn off for me.

Not every developer needs to aim for a photo-realistic art style, there's too many who do, it's good to have at least a few who do differently.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Your point? Still a Microsoft first party studio. Microsoft isn't going to have their developers make a game for their competitors, especially Sony who already has Spiderman and wolverine. If marvel wanted that, there's better more suitable ways to do it - like an independent studio?
Marvel said they liked Arkane’s style and Arkane wanted to do it. Reason enough to let them do it.
You can't be serious...

There's far more a chance it's exclusive than being multiplatform. FAR MORE. Arkane is only an Xbox 1st party dev. What else do you need? Lol
I don’t see why they would be vague on this, unless it isn’t exclusive. Have MS/Xbox even retweeted the Marvel or Bethesda trailer tweet?

Last edited:

hinch7

Not every developer needs to aim for a photo-realistic art style, there's too many who do, it's good to have at least a few who do differently.
Its not photorealism that I want in all games. I think that unique caricaturized style they have going on with the MC's and NPC's. Dishonored, Prey, Deathloop etc all have that similar look.

Will wait for reviews when its comes out as I wouldn't mind trying a Blade game if its any good.

Last edited:
I need Arkane to do whatever voodoo necessary to get back to the level they had with Dishonored and Prey.

Based on Linkedin posts over the past couple of years, that would require rehiring a lot of people. Contrary to popular myth, people do matter for these studios.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Other super heroes deserve a video game nothing against Blade I’ve said many times blade should have a game, a flash, Wonder Woman, captain america, iron man would be good options. Think about a Thor game!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Other super heroes deserve a video game nothing against Blade I’ve said many times blade should have a game, a flash, Wonder Woman, captain america, iron man would be good options. Think about a Thor game!

There was a Thor game. It was really bad.

Captain America will be the co-protagonist in the upcoming Black Panther game.

Iron Man is also getting an EA game soon.

It's all coming together.

Stafford

Just watched the three movies for the first time, really enjoyed these. If they do this right there's plenty of potential. Especially with the stylized combat. And it really needs to be mature. Just like hopefully the new movie will be too.

schaft0620

Xbox wasn't branded on Starfield, Redfall and Hi-Fi Rush. Since Bethesda still operates as separate publisher.
Same reason why you didn't saw Xbox logo on Modern Warfare 3.

So drawing conclusion based of that is strange.

However, I'm pretty confused about "just started development" statement.
Former dev of Arkane Lyon said that he worked on game for a year. And he is already 7 months into his new job at Crytek.

So it's clear that game is already in some form of development for 1,5 years.

Wrong and wrong and wrong. Listen, I don't think its coming to PlayStation but don't @ me and be dead fucking wrong.

kiphalfton

Arkane Lyon is making this. Arkane Austin I believe is responsible for Redfall. Anyway, two different teams. Lyon made the Dishonored series and Prey

No, Arkane Austin made Prey. Arkane Lyon made Deathloop.

Both outlets have made disappointing games in recent history (Lyon made Deathloop and Austin made Redfall), so it's not like this game is exempt from being crap just because it's being made by Arkane Lyon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom