• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 games relisted

Neoxon

Relist UMVC3 on all platforms then create MvC4. Please Marvel and Capcom??
It's like I said, Capcom may not see it as profitable right now. If Street Fighter V sells like hotcakes, maybe we'll get MvC4. But an UMvC3 re-release may not happen on account of it not being profitable to Capcom.

That would still cost money to renew the contract, money that would be better spent on MvC4.

Here's the problem with your plan.

Nobody's around to make it.

Nitsuma's dropped off the face of the planet.

Eighting's nowhere to be seen.

There's nobody for Capcom to farm this out to.

On top of that, renewing the contract doesn't have to be a one or the other. Write the contract to renew the licenses on the delisted games and get MvC4 in there too. How do you think MvC3 came to be? That digital version of MvC2 wasn't some random event.

By the by, you're not getting a band-aid for UMvC3 for the same reason there won't be a MvC4 in the near future. You're stuck with what you got. A Hulk was on the winning team in EVO, your game's fine.

I'd appreciate them getting all the various Versus games and their DLC back on digital storefronts and patching back in Swagneto because I guess the Spanish government can't hold a grudge forever.

In other news, getting the DLC for both UA games would be nice so you don't get played on eBay for a copy of Gold Edition. Same for that Deadpool DLC and whatever else got delisted along the way.

Neoxon

Here's the problem with your plan.

Nobody's around to make it.

Nitsuma's dropped off the face of the planet.

Eighting's nowhere to be seen.

There's nobody for Capcom to farm this out to.

On top of that, renewing the contract doesn't have to be a one or the other. Write the contract to renew the licenses on the delisted games and get MvC4 in there too. How do you think MvC3 came to be? That digital version of MvC2 wasn't some random event.

By the by, you're not getting a band-aid for UMvC3 for the same reason there won't be a MvC4 in the near future. You're stuck with what you got. A Hulk was on the winning team in EVO, your game's fine.

I'd appreciate them getting all the various Versus games and their DLC back on digital storefronts and patching back in Swagneto because I guess the Spanish government can't hold a grudge forever.

In other news, getting the DLC for both UA games would be nice so you don't get played on eBay for a copy of Gold Edition. Same for that Deadpool DLC and whatever else got delisted along the way.
I never said that Niitsuma or Eighting had to make MvC4. Likewise, I never said that UMvC3 would be patched. You're just putting a bunch of words in my mouth that I never actually said.

I never said that Niitsuma or Eighting had to make MvC4. Likewise, I never said that UMvC3 would be patched. You're just putting a bunch of words in my mouth that I never actually said.

First part was addressing you and your need for a game that just can't be in this climate. The remainder was addressing the general concerns around your concern and those previous posts of yours about the contrary. No words were placed anywhere. Point still stands.

Like I said before nobody's around to make MvC4. Nobody that Capcom would trust to do so. You might just have to let that fantasy be for now. Not saying it can't be in the future but in the current present just isn't something that's feasible for either party involved.

Neoxon

First part was addressing you and your need for a game that just can't be in this climate. The remainder was addressing the general concerns around your concern and those previous posts of yours about the contrary. No words were placed anywhere. Point still stands.

Like I said before nobody's around to make MvC4. Nobody that Capcom would trust to do so. You might just have to let that fantasy be for now. Not saying it can't be in the future but in the current present just isn't something that's feasible for either party involved.
Aren't there other developers in Capcom's employ? I know that Dimps (who are just contracted workers in this case) are more for Street Fighter, but what about Neo_G? And now that you mention it, what happened to Niitsuma? Granted, there are a few other people who could helm a potential MvC4 over at Capcom (if it happened anytime soon), but I'm just curious about what happened to Niitsuma.

Aren't there other developers in Capcom's employ? I know that Dimps (who are just contracted workers in this case) are more for Street Fighter, but what about Neo_G? And now that you mention it, what happened to Niitsuma? Granted, there are a few other people who could helm a potential MvC4 over at Capcom (if it happened anytime soon), but I'm just curious about what happened to Niitsuma.

Plenty. The issue has and still is that Capcom doesn't have the in-house talent for a project that important. As you mentioned, there's a reason Dimps handles business on Street Fighter. The same reason Niitsuma had Eighting on MvC3. Just the way things are over there.

As far as Niitsuma goes he's allegedly working on something at Capcom. I guess when he's ready to share he will.

Neoxon

Plenty. The issue has and still is that Capcom doesn't have the in-house talent for a project that important. As you mentioned, there's a reason Dimps handles business on Street Fighter. The same reason Niitsuma had Eighting on MvC3. Just the way things are over there.

As far as Niitsuma goes he's allegedly working on something at Capcom. I guess when he's ready to share he will.
Are there any other developers that Capcom worked with who may be up to the task in the near future?

I would probably be willing to pay $40 if they release the PSP versions of X-Men Legends 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PSN and make them compatible with Vita.

I fucking LOVE playing X-Men Legends 2 on my PSP and never actually got around to Ultimate Alliance. So stupid they never released them digitally.

Ascenion

Honestly I'm surprised Disney hasn't gotten around to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3. It would likely print money in the current superhero film climate. I'm definitely down to buy these though. Loved them when I first played them

Toki767

I would probably be willing to pay $40 if they release the PSP versions of X-Men Legends 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PSN and make them compatible with Vita.

I fucking LOVE playing X-Men Legends 2 on my PSP and never actually got around to Ultimate Alliance. So stupid they never released them digitally.
Yeah me too. Ultimate Alliance 2 on PSP was such a disappointment though.

Sesha

No one but Niitsuma and Eighting are gonna develop MvC4.

If they're not on it, it's never happening.

That depends, are you willing to sacrifice Wolverine, Deadpool, Magneto, Storm, Doom, etc. for MvC4 to happen?

Yes. Fuck 'em.

Neoxon

Capcom could in theory still contract Eighting so long as they aren't out of business. But if they can't get Niitsuma back, Capcom could always get another director who knows his/her shit about fighting games.

SFenton

Honestly, one of two games I'd be totally fine paying $40 for 10 years later. Beat and loved it on PS2, 360, and PSP.

If they made it BC on Xbox One I'd certainly, 100% absolutely purchase again.

How can a game with cannonball, x-man and cable be the worst version? I need this game out like tonight

Oh man that makes two of us then (except for the worse part, my favorite of the series). I drool at the thought of a proper Legends or even ultimate alliance game for the Vita. It's a damn shame Raven is no longer working on these properties and those type of games anymore, especially with the Marvel license being so hot right now.

I love X-Men Legends II. Wayyyyyyyyy more than I do the first game or the UA games. I've never played the PSP version and I just assumed that it probably suffers in some technical ways that a PS2/OG xbox version didn't at the time, so that's why I said worst version.

Heck yes!! Cannonball and X-Man were two of my favorite characters and they were locked away on the PSP... I'd drop $40 to be able to play Legends II on my Vita.

So what kind of crazy shit did Marvel Heroes (Gazillion) pull to secure the rights to all the Marvel characters that they have on PC?

It's about cross-promotion. Given the online, ever evolving nature of the game, Gazillion can quickly develop content that ties in with Marvel's comics, films and television series. This keeps Marvel Heroes highly relevant, more so than the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance series and generating insane revenue.

“Tying into the movies, a different event every week, something is happening all the time,” says Brevik.

When deciding on new characters, Gazillion are able to look at what's on Marvel's calendar and react in a timely manner that lines up with whomever the company is spotlighting in the media. As for the terms of the contract itself, those are largely unknown, but there is no question about the length.

“We're good for a long, long time,” creative director Jeff Donais told PCGamesN. “Gazillion will always be the Marvel Heroes studio,” said Donais in a PCGN interview before Christmas. “There may be additional Marvel games – there’s a kid’s game as well, but it’s public information that we have a ten year license with Marvel, and we have many years of content planned for Marvel Heroes.”

Marvel Heroes generated $11 million in revenue in 2013 and that figure was expected to hit $25 million in 2014. There's no question about why Marvel signed such a lucrative contract.

“We have a very high conversion rate (free players becoming paying players), our percentage is over double the industry average. Our average paying revenue per user per month is about double the industry average as well.”

I strongly doubt we'll see a continuation of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, because we already have one in Marvel Heroes Online.

...Capcom, call Lab Zero.

They make RPGs now. It'll be a long time before this could ever be a thing even if it could be a thing.

Capcom could in theory still contract Eighting so long as they aren't out of business. But if they can't get Niitsuma back, Capcom could always get another director who knows his/her shit about fighting games.

All in theory. Too many questions of who's qualified enough to give that game the attention a project like that deserves.

This article is from 2 years ago. The last thing Eighting did Kamen Rider SummonRide. That's what they do. I haven't heard of them working on anything of note since then if at all. They're probably on the upcoming Battride War Genesis as well which I'm excited for by the by.

Then there's hope. Though if Street Fighter V is a smash hit & Capcom wants to do MvC4, it's a matter of if they want to get Niitsuma back or get someone else to helm the project.

Your problem then becomes does Marvel have something that's so huge they need a MvC4 as a tool to market it. Looking at Marvel's recent moves the answer is no at the moment. If anything, your hypothetical game doesn't even get thought about from the side of the fence that matters until their next movie phase which would line up right about the 10 year mark for Vanilla.

Honestly I'm surprised Disney hasn't gotten around to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3. It would likely print money in the current superhero film climate. I'm definitely down to buy these though. Loved them when I first played them

I know there are a bunch of Marvel titles in development but most of them are still a ways out.

They don't need Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3, when they have Marvel Heroes Online serving essentially the same purpose.

With a ton of the moves lifted straight from MUA/X-Men Legends no less. Stil want it though, I dig Heroes online but it does not scratch the same itch sadly.

I know it doesn't scratch the same itch, but it's the closest experience available outside of the original MUA games. There is far more content, however, in Marvel Heroes Online.

Sesha

This article is from 2 years ago. The last thing Eighting did Kamen Rider SummonRide. That's what they do. I haven't heard of them working on anything of note since then if at all. They're probably on the upcoming Battride War Genesis as well which I'm excited for by the by.

I was aware of that. It's essentially up to date on what they've been doing. They haven't been doing much for the past two years.

Neoxon

Something that I noticed when I looked into the Marvel-Fox blood feud thing. While the rest of the X-Men are getting screwed over, Deadpool's merchandise is still going strong. That would explain why the Deadpool game is getting remastered. But that still begs the question, do X-Men-related games that came out before the licensing shut-out still have a chance to be remastered?

Now that I think about it, if Deadpool is still getting some merchandise, why was he left out of recent Marvel games along with the other mutants. Same for the Maximoff twins (even though they're more of a case-by-case basis).

Something that I noticed when I looked into the Marvel-Fox blood feud thing. While the rest of the X-Men are getting screwed over, Deadpool's merchandise is still going strong. That would explain why the Deadpool game is getting remastered. But that still begs the question, do X-Men-related games that came out before the licensing shut-out still have a chance to be remastered?

Now that I think about it, if Deadpool is still getting some merchandise, why was he left out of recent Marvel games along with the other mutants. Same for the Maximoff twins (even though they're more of a case-by-case basis).

If I had to guess, there are licensing umbrellas for what characters can be used. Deadpool still falls under X-Men for video games, which is why you'll see him in games (where other X-Men are present) like Marvel Heroes, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and Contest of Champions, but not in LEGO Avengers, Marvel Future Fight, or Marvel Mighty Heroes.

Neoxon

If I had to guess, there are licensing umbrellas for what characters can be used. Deadpool still falls under X-Men for video games, which is why you'll see him in games (where other X-Men are present) like Marvel Heroes, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and Contest of Champions, but not in LEGO Avengers, Marvel Future Fight, or Marvel Mighty Heroes.
But the Deadpool game was allowed to be re-released. Though maybe that has more to do with the fact that the game was already released once before than anything else. That being said, MvC4 (if it ever happens in the near future) would probably be in the situation that LEGO Avengers, Marvel Future Fight, & Marvel Mighty Heroes are in (that being that Capcom would be denied any X-Men or Fantastic Four characters).

Top Bottom