• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Unlimited reading club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meccs

Fantastic service but the picture quality is pretty mediocre on a 10 inch HD tablet. The resolution is definitely lower than 1080p. Even in full page it looks quite blurry.

Sblargh

Banned
This week seems so much fun. Bachallo's Strange, Ewing's Ultimates (best comic of the year?), Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman.

All of this feeling me with dread just knowing a universally hated event is just around the corner. By the time the real world is finally getting rid of Civil War 2, there goes into the meatgrinder. Oh well.

On other news: A LOT of 80s Moon Knight by Sienkiewicz? (in Brasil we call him Bill Cinco e Vinte). Also a lot of Werewolf By Night (which I have no idea if it is cool or not. Am 100% unfamiliar with Marvel's horror stuff) and some Giant-Size Man-Thing just dangling there.

This week seems so much fun. Bachallo's Strange, Ewing's Ultimates (best comic of the year?), Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman.

All of this feeling me with dread just knowing a universally hated event is just around the corner. By the time the real world is finally getting rid of Civil War 2, there goes into the meatgrinder. Oh well.

On other news: A LOT of 80s Moon Knight by Sienkiewicz? (in Brasil we call him Bill Cinco e Vinte). Also a lot of Werewolf By Night (which I have no idea if it is cool or not. Am 100% unfamiliar with Marvel's horror stuff) and some Giant-Size Man-Thing just dangling there.

I've been pretty bad about keeping up with stuff since Secret Wars kinda farted in the bathtub for me. I've been reading a bunch of older stuff and Star Wars comics, though.

ag-my001

Question on subscriptions:

I was reading the fine print and saw that it said there were no refunds for partial months. Does that mean subs are good only during the calendar month, or is it referring to someone that cancels halfway through the ~30 day period?

I ask because they finally have a special on an annual plan ($60 instead of $69), so I want to know if they do something weird where I should wait for December 1.

Mindwipe

I was reading the fine print and saw that it said there were no refunds for partial months. Does that mean subs are good only during the calendar month, or is it referring to someone that cancels halfway through the ~30 day period?

I ask because they finally have a special on an annual plan ($60 instead of $69), so I want to know if they do something weird where I should wait for December 1.

It's 30 day period not calendar month, don't worry.

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll do a year and save some cash.

j-wood

I'm looking to get into the guardians of the galaxy, never read a comic before (or any comics really). So I have marvel unlimited, which guardians series should I start reading?

gazele

Banned
I'm looking to get into the guardians of the galaxy, never read a comic before (or any comics really). So I have marvel unlimited, which guardians series should I start reading?

Oh wow, you're in for a treat, pretty sure people will recommend Annihilation and its follow ups

Oh wow, you're in for a treat, pretty sure people will recommend Annihilation and its follow ups

Yep. It's sort of the beginning of the modern GotG. Giant sized reading chart here:

FUM3v.jpg

j-wood

Is that the saga or what? The only thing I hate about marvel unlimited is how confusing it is to find things. When I look at series right now there are TONS of things called Annihilation. Where do I start?

Yeah, Annihiliation and Annihilation Conquest were great. That was some of the first stuff I read on Marvel Unlimited (Wanted to get into GotG) and it kinda spoiled me because the other stuff I've read so far hasn't been up to that standard :(

Yep. It's sort of the beginning of the modern GotG. Giant sized reading chart here:

https://i.imgur.com/FUM3v.jpg

Yeah, that looks like the reading order I used, just follow the individual issues at the bottom for Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest.

j-wood

Yeah, Annihiliation and Annihilation Conquest were great. That was some of the first stuff I read on Marvel Unlimited (Wanted to get into GotG) and it kinda spoiled me because the other stuff I've read so far hasn't been up to that standard :(

Yeah, that looks like the reading order I used, just follow the individual issues at the bottom for Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest.

That's what's confusing me. The first colum has Thanos 1-12 listed, but from what I can tell those have no relation to Annihilation? Are those required reading? Not that I don't want to read those, just making sure i'm reading the chart right.

KingV

What do you marvel unlimited folks thinknof civil war II? It is so damn bad.

I'm really hating how they are sort of trying to rehabilitate Captain Marvel in some of the post-CW2 issues (even though the last issue of the actual event is out yet... on unlimited).

Clone Conspiracy looks promising though. I hate one more day, but generally have enjoyed Slotts take on spiderman, overall.

That's what's confusing me. The first colum has Thanos 1-12 listed, but from what I can tell those have no relation to Annihilation? Are those required reading? Not that I don't want to read those, just making sure i'm reading the chart right.

They're not 100% necessary I guess, but they do work as a really good prologue. The Drax stuff explains why he is the way he is by the time Annihilation rolls around and Thanos fleshes out the character a lot, which was great for a comics noob like me so he's more than a generic baddie with dreams of conquering the universe.

Matty77

If you go to browse then events and choose the event it should have them all there in proper order, I know it does on my tablet.

As for what to read I suggest Annihilation, Annihilation:conquest, the DnA GOTG run and then the Thanos Imperative and then stop. After that is GOTG by bendis and while I won't say it's complete trash it's not really good either and is a complete letdown after everything else.

Now that I think of it before anything else it might be worth reading Keith Giffen's Drax limited series from 2005 first.

i'm this (very small this) far from actually caving in and subscribing to the service :X
any restriction to eu? can i subscribe to the us service?

KingV

i'm this (very small this) far from actually caving in and subscribing to the service :X
any restriction to eu? can i subscribe to the us service?

I can tell you that I had a US account, and was able to access everything from all over the world a couple of years ago without a VPN (China, India, France, Germany, and Brazil, at least).

So if you find a way to get the subscription to go through, you should be good to go unless they have changed things in the last three years or so.

Yeah, J-Wood, I definitely recommend just reading exactly what the poster shows. If you "browse event" within the app, it's not as good. They have everything just listed in release order across different series.

Beginning the Cosmic Marvel run with the Giffen books just like the graphic shows is definitely the way to go.

j-wood

On a larger note, how does comic continuity actually work?

So I'm reading the unlimited spider man series also. When I read the end of that, does it just reset basically with the next series?

phinious

I love the service, but the app sucks so bad for browsing selections or reading events. I have to google read orders then manually search:(

So I'm reading the unlimited spider man series also. When I read the end of that, does it just reset basically with the next series?

Well Marvel has a multiverse concept to get around continuity issues. Basically things that don't fit into the general timeline take place in alternate realities.

The first Spider-Man Unlimited series (The one with Maximum Carnage, I think) takes place in the main Marvel universe. Then there was another series with the same name based on the cartoon with the same name that is not within the normal continuity (in an alternate reality). Then there was a third series called Spider-Man Unlimited that is also in the main Marvel universe.

Most stories take place in the main Marvel universe which until recently has been referred to as reality 616. From a reader's perspective, though, shorter runs tend to be more self-contained with references to other continuity. The longer an author stays on a series the more convoluted things tend to get and frankly most authors ignore a bunch of things that happened before that are technically within continuity. The best advice is to just not worry about it too much.

KingV

To add on to the above, marvel also works on sort of a floating timeline where early continuity always happened about 15-30 years ago outside of certain events, for example Captain america always fought in WWII, that never changes, but the original Xmen brought to the present time didn't originate in the early 60s, but instead like the late 80s/ early 90s.

They're pretty vague about it though. DC is more consistent in their continuity and timelines, but actually probably more confusing because of it. They tend to have had more continuity reboots to make timelines make sense.

Just resubbed. I subbed when unlimited first started, but it was pretty trash. Crashing all the time, very scattershot story coverage with lots of issues missing in the middle of stories. Seems really good now. Just read Old Man Logan and loved it. Was thinking of doing the original black panther run next.

jeemer

This thread convinced me to sub to MU. I used the gotg2 code to get a free month (although they did charge me and I had to moan to get a refund) - i've never really read much in the way of marvel comics growing up, although i enjoyed the xmen cartoon i've always been more batman/vertigo oriented. I did read the superior spiderman last year, that was good. I grew up in Glasgow and my brother and sister always told me about a talented artist called Vinny they knew from school - turns out it is Frank Quitely! Read We3 straight away when I found out and enjoyed it very much.

Since getting MU I've read some of the newer Doctor Strange, Marvel Boy and am currently reading through Morrisons run on the new Xmen.

As far as getting recommendations, there's just so much out there I'm not sure where I even want to go next. I'm not that interested in old runs (particularly not golden/silver age) as much as modern stories, reimaginings, characters with new or weird powers, or the idea of comics I hadn't considered existed before, like all the star wars stuff. I am a bit of a sucker for anything with magic or the supernatural though.

Is there a limit to how much they let you download? I'm away on a cruise next week...

This thread convinced me to sub to MU. I used the gotg2 code to get a free month (although they did charge me and I had to moan to get a refund) - i've never really read much in the way of marvel comics growing up, although i enjoyed the xmen cartoon i've always been more batman/vertigo oriented. I did read the superior spiderman last year, that was good. I grew up in Glasgow and my brother and sister always told me about a talented artist called Vinny they knew from school - turns out it is Frank Quitely! Read We3 straight away when I found out and enjoyed it very much.

Since getting MU I've read some of the newer Doctor Strange, Marvel Boy and am currently reading through Morrisons run on the new Xmen.

As far as getting recommendations, there's just so much out there I'm not sure where I even want to go next. I'm not that interested in old runs (particularly not golden/silver age) as much as modern stories, reimaginings, characters with new or weird powers, or the idea of comics I hadn't considered existed before, like all the star wars stuff. I am a bit of a sucker for anything with magic or the supernatural though.

Is there a limit to how much they let you download? I'm away on a cruise next week...

I think you can have 20 things downloaded for offline reading but they might have wifi on your cruise ship.

Read Simonson's Thor.

Mindwipe

You can only download 12 issues at once. MU's such good value you can't really moan, but wow do I wish it was 20 - if you're doing long haul flights 12 issues really isn't enough.

And it's 12 issues per account, not per device. They're on to me that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom