• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Unlimited reading club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
This [insert period of time to be decided here]'s topic is:
Doctor Strange!

Origin Story
Strange Tales (1951) #115
Stephen Strange is a brain surgeon, and like all other brain surgeons in pop culture, he is an asshole. That is, until an accident severely injuries his hands, ending his career. After exausting his resources in search of a cure, he travels to India (to be retconned as Tibet later on) to find The Ancient One, a mystic famous for his healing powers. And so it begins.

strange-tales-115-021.jpg

Suggested Readings

Strange Tales
Strange Tales (1951) #110 - #146 is the entire run of the original creators: Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.
Stan Lee, of course, is at the top of his game during this period. With an arsenal of exclamation points, aliterations and bullshit magical terms; Stan Lee keeps your head spinning at all moments as he guides you through the actions. But the headspinning doesn't stop there. Steve Ditko, most famous for Spider-Man, really showcases his talent in these issues. Weird dimensions, tentacle monsters, unnatural hand gestures; Strange Tales is a beautiful surrealistic cosmic nightmare; in a mix of Salvador Dali and the fascination for the cosmos that is usually Kirby's trademark, Ditko really gives us a lesson of things so weird that can trully only be experienced in a comic book.

flashbandit16 said:
This was another one I was going to mention Strange Tales #152-163 is what made Dr. Strange my favorite Marvel character.

Strange Tales #152

Doctor Strange (1974)
Doctor Strange #1 - #18 is the reason I started this thread.
While Frank Brunner is wonderful in his portrayal of Ditko's Cosmic Mystical-spaces, it is the script of Englehart that truly sells the story.
With a dedication to make sure the mystical stuff follows a dream-like logic; Englehart is able to, at the same time, deliver great surrealistic action and a pinch of hippie politics as his very first enemy is an hypocritical religious fundamentalist who claims to hate the dark arts in the name of God, but find excuses for himself to use them. His goal, to kill "The Demon" Doctor Strange and free (while brainwashing) Strange's pupil and lover, Clea, by treating her like a damsel in distress (which, well, she kind of is in this story).

Keep the recommendations coming and I'll add them here.
This site is a great help, though not everything in there is on Marvel Unlimited at the moment.

I plan to update this in the future and be better prepared for the next threads if this idea works out all right.
---

I love Marvel Unlimited. Yeah, I am six months behind the rest of the world, but other than that, it is just a dream to have access to all those stories.
The problem, though, is that it is lonely and cold here. I can't go into the comics thread because of spoilers, there are guides here and there about good runs and sagas, but again, it is kind of lonely.
So, the point of this thread is twofold:
To talk about marvel comics being mindful of spoilers for anything that is not yet on marvel unlimited
and
Recommend, read and talk about older runs, be they classic moments like The Dark Phoenix Saga, cult darlings like Gerber's Howard the Duck or more obscure stuff like the Great Lake Avengers.

Every [insert period of time to be decided here] we will choose a topic; not to restrict the conversation to that topic, but to help focus it a little bit, by giving people a clear set of stories to read, avoiding the dreadful "where do I start?"

But where do I start?
The Marvel universe is possibly older than anyone in this thread. trying to grasp it all may look like an insane thread. But don't worry, go at it on your own pace, I suggest starting simply at where you find interesting instead of chronological attempts, but hey, whatever floats your superboat.

What about The Topic? Should I restrict myself to that in this thread?
Not at all. You can talk about anything Marvel in here, the only rule is that the best Captain Marvel must be considered Monica Rambeau at all times.
The Topic is here to help; to give direction to what would otherwise be a patchwork of multiple storylines fighting for attention. To help you start at an arbitrary point if you feel completely lost be it because you are completely new to the Marvel universe or is exausting your personal "must read" list.

Ok, where do I start in Topic?
Again, where you wish. Going chronological when the pool of comics is smaller makes sense, so that's always an option, but go nuts. And write nuts, too! Share your thoughts on The Topic, do extensive reviews on decades-old issues, ramble about how The Topic has changed over the years. Whatever you like, tell us what about The Topic makes you happy/angry/catatonic/mindless.

What about spoilers?
Marvel Unlimited is 6 months behind your local comic book store. And so, it is 6 months all the internet hype, previews, and so on. That should be your main concern when dealing with spoilers. Assume that everyone here lives 6 months in the past. This should be our Sanctum Sanctorum, our Avengers Mansion, our Mary Jane's Warm Embrace. We should feel safe here from the evil of spoilers!
Marvel Unlimited updates every Monday, and so it is a good idea to be mindful of spoiling new releases at least until the end of the week.

Shouldn't be a "What Is Marvel Unlimited?" section somewhere in this Q&A
Yes! But I am lazy, goddamn it! I'll do it later!

The Llama

I've never been into comics before but I'm tempted to pickup Marvel Unlimited and start reading. Is it a good way to get into... Stuff? I wouldn't even know where to begin tbh.

213372bu

Banned
Was looking through this and was interested in buying a month.

The navigation on the site is absolutely horrible esp. with the sections and low comic count per page.

If I were to go through and read through the early stuff and work my way through modern comic runs how doable is it?

Wanted to go through DC and go over everything Batman but I'm going to have to be buying volumes of runs before I start reading straight issues.

Edit: Didn't mean to say the sub was horrible in the first sentence, whooops

jet1911

I've never been into comics before but I'm tempted to pickup Marvel Unlimited and start reading. Is it a good way to get into... Stuff? I wouldn't even know where to begin tbh.

Same thing here. Do they have their best comic available on MU?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Same thing here. Do they have their best comic available on MU?

The selection is very extensive for the most part, although they still have some glaring gaps in some areas, especially '90s era X-Men. But anything from the last 15 years is there, and many of the classic titles have the complete run from 1960s to today. I've been a subscriber for two years and it's a great service. At current prices a year pays for itself after reading 30 or so comics, which you can do in a night easily. It's the most cost efficient way to get caught up on Marvel, no question.

I wish DC would do something similar, but I don't think they believe it would be profitable.

jet1911

The selection is very extensive for the most part, although they still have some glaring gaps in some areas, especially '90s era X-Men. But anything from the last 15 years is there, and many of the classic titles have the complete run from 1960s to today. I've been a subscriber for two years and it's a great service. At current prices a year pays for itself after reading 30 or so comics, which you can do in a night easily. It's the most cost efficient way to get caught up on Marvel, no question.

I wish DC would do something similar, but I don't think they believe it would be profitable.

Great, thanks!

213372bu

Banned
Heads up $60 a year with Promo code : SEASON2 according to Reddit.

EDIT: Coupon code expired hours ago, should apparently be a promo around Civil War's release though

So what's the consensus on MU? I was literary looking on getting a sub today. Also noticed that DC doesn't have something like that. So a sub is great for me.

Sblargh

Banned

The navigation on the site is absolutely horrible esp. with the sections and low comic count per page.

If I were to go through and read through the early stuff and work my way through modern comic runs how doable is it?

Wanted to go through DC and go over everything Batman but I'm going to have to be buying volumes of runs before I start reading straight issues.

Marvel Unlimited has its own guides for "essential readings" and events and whatnots. I tried to do a chronological reading some periods of my life and it always failed, we are talking about more than 50 years worth of comics here. If you just go through the events and the big sagas (which is what I have done before), it feels without context and kind of empty; if you go the other way of digging into the runs, then it's overwhelming.

The best solution, I believe, is to take it slow, read what you might think it looks cool. That will eventually snowball into reading more of this character/writer/artist you really liked.

The point of this thread would be to help with that, but also do it in a kind of social way. Instead of just recommending things we like, we would try to read them together and talk about it. I'm interesting on hearing about rules for this kind of stuff to work, btw.

--

Someone asked about the comics available, and it's not everything, but it's pretty damn close. You have to be really digging to stumble into something it's not there, but besides the regular comics from 6 months ago, they add a lot of stuff from the past. This week they added the aforementioned Dr. Strange, plus a bunch of 70s Vampire Tales. Last week, they put in there a bunch of 90s books from an alternate marvel timeline called MC2. I don't know what the logic is with the older stuff, but there's definetly stuff that is by no way mainstream. (by that, I mean, the mainstrean important sagas are there and then so much more)

213372bu

Banned
Marvel Unlimited has its own guides for "essential readings" and events and whatnots. I tried to do a chronological reading some periods of my life and it always failed, we are talking about more than 50 years worth of comics here. If you just go through the events and the big sagas (which is what I have done before), it feels without context and kind of empty; if you go the other way of digging into the runs, then it's overwhelming.

The best solution, I believe, is to take it slow, read what you might think it looks cool. That will eventually snowball into reading more of this character/writer/artist you really liked.

The point of this thread would be to help with that, but also do it in a kind of social way. Instead of just recommending things we like, we would try to read them together and talk about it. I'm interesting on hearing about rules for this kind of stuff to work, btw.

--

Someone asked about the comics available, and it's not everything, but it's pretty damn close. You have to be really digging to stumble into something it's not there, but besides the regular comics from 6 months ago, they add a lot of stuff from the past. This week they added the aforementioned Dr. Strange, plus a bunch of 70s Vampire Tales. Last week, they put in there a bunch of 90s books from an alternate marvel timeline called MC2. I don't know what the logic is with the older stuff, but there's definetly stuff that is by no way mainstream. (by that, I mean, the mainstrean important sagas are there and then so much more)

Thanks, I think I'll be buying my month now, hope to contribute to the thread soon.

Afrodium

Banned
Anyone looking to dip their toes into comics should definitely pick up MU for at least a month. For less than a price of a single trade/graphic novel you can read as much of Marvel's back catalog as you want. Pretty much everything you'd want to read is there, and there's absolutely no risk for trying a new series. Just do some research of good intro Marvel stories and go from there. By the time you're burnt out on superhero comics you should have a good idea of what characters/writers/artists/eras you like and can branch out to DC/Image/independent comics without feeling like you need to spend a bunch of money to start figuring out what you like.

Plus new issues are added at a six month delay, which is completely irrelevant unless you have a close circle of friends who also read comic books. You can read all of Marvel's current books at a huge discount if you're willing to wait a bit.

Mifune

Mehmber
I am totally down to read Dr. Strange in a MU book club. I didn't even realize that series was on there. Oh how deep the rabbit hole goes...

I'm currently about to start Jonathan Hickman's massive Fantastic Four run. Near the beginning of Christopher Priest's Black Panther, which is really fun/sorta obnoxious in a 90s Tarantino kind of way. That might be a fun book club experience.

k91191

Plus new issues are added at a one month delay, which is completely irrelevant unless you have a close circle of friends who also read comic books. You can read all of Marvel's current books at a huge discount if you're willing to wait a bit.

I think it's a 6 month delay for new issues.

jackdoe

Yeah, I just subbed to Marvel Unlimited Plus (crossing my fingers for an early Civil War screening event, just like they did for Winter Soldier) and the navigation through the PC web browser is horrendous. Browsing is an absolute chore.

I'm not worried about being 6 months behind, since I only recently got into comics. I just switched over from MU and saw this thread. Been making my way through Black Panther (2008) but will be checking out lots of other stuff. I'm using the ipad app.

wEaQvLpm.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
I think it's a 6 month delay for new issues.

Whoops, thanks for catching that. You're right, it's six months. Today the first All-New All-Different Marvel issues were added, so now is a perfect time to start reading new issues as they appear on MU.

On an unrelated not, I just checked out the first issue of the Dr. Strange run in the OP and it was great. Very trippy. Without MU I probably would have never picked this up.

WAT

I didn't even know this was a thing. I stopped reading most Marvel around the time New 52 hit. So being 6 months behind ain't a thing. I've read most of the classic runs, but I'm sure there are some gaps I'd love to fill.

I know we've tried a few Reading Clubs in the past, but something like this should work out better since MU is a sub service and it's much easier (and cheaper) than tracking down books and whatnot.

Even if it doesn't work out, everyone is welcome to the Comics OT in Community. We always like seeing impressions!

Excellent, other fellow MU users. I'm currently catching up on the last few years and reading some older stuff as well.

Just yesterday, I read the Black Vortex Guardians/Xmen saga, and also reading the early Ultimate universe Xmen books. A lot of catching up and reading. Love MU. Have a one year sub, taking full advantage. Next on my list is to follow the new Thor and New Avengers until Time Runs Out. Also reading the Ultimate Six series to see how they treat the Sinister Six on the Ultimate universe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Funny timing! I just picked this up on Saturday and already read through Punisher Knights, Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Spider Woman (2009), and Identity Disc. They were all pretty fun and really quick to get through. Currently reading Ms. Marvel and it's definitely the best of the lot so far, though the other standout was the art in Spider Woman.

As noted above, navigation of the actual library is quite bad (should be so easy to just block out chunks to add to you library, mark things as Read, etc. but it's all super manual) but the actual reading experience is excellent.

Oh wow I didn't know they added more issues of Dr. Strange thank you for the heads up OP. Also this is a good idea OP it will be fun discussing various comics, some of my favorites are:

Adam Warlock: Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-11
gNSIyfG.jpg

The Korvac Saga: Avengers #167-168, #170-177
yTE9ZaR.jpg

X-men #104-108
There was nothing wrong with the X-men before but X-men in space is something I really like plus the Starjammers.

You can't have a Dr.Strange club without doing some Strange Tales reading, this is quintessential Dr.Strange:

This was another one I was going to mention Strange Tales #152-163 is what made Dr. Strange my favorite Marvel character.

Here are two websites I found really useful:

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/ (Has a list of all(?) marvel comics in reading order)

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/ (Another website goes through the marvel comics in chronological order)

Sblargh

Banned
New idea, then. Our club readings (weekly? Monthly?) will be more fluid about characters and/or eras/events and/or writers/artists.
Today is monday and let's say, then, that our first club reading is dr. Strange.
So recommend away dr. Strange readings, I will compile a more complete reading list to update the op tomorrow, don't be shy about sharing your thoughts on specifics issues or story arcs as long as they are part of the (week's? Month's?) topic, which, as of now, is our good friend Stephen.

Outside of the periodical topic, feel free, of course, to recommend runs in general and talk about the "present" (meaning, six months ago). This week for example, we got the beggining of the post-secret wars era, including an odd in-continuity videogame inspired contest of champions comic. Two book which are basically previews and Secret War #6.
It's a bit weird to have the post-secret war books starting to come out while the main miniseries is still going, but as much as I loved battleworld, I have to admite a fatigue was coming and I am happy to see the characters again without them being part of a kind of "what if" story.

So, here is my proposal for the thread: one big topic will always be the "new" weekly comics. Another one will be a periodical topic where we really dig deep into the topic at hand. Sounds good?

Dalek

to be honest, I'd like to start right at the beginning with Dr. Strange-as I've never read any of the early Ditko stuff.

213372bu

Banned
New idea, then. Our club readings (weekly? Monthly?) will be more fluid about characters and/or eras/events and/or writers/artists.
Today is monday and let's say, then, that our first club reading is dr. Strange.
So recommend away dr. Strange readings, I will compile a more complete reading list to update the op tomorrow, don't be shy about sharing your thoughts on specifics issues or story arcs as long as they are part of the (week's? Month's?) topic, which, as of now, is our good friend Stephen.

Outside of the periodical topic, feel free, of course, to recommend runs in general and talk about the "present" (meaning, six months ago). This week for example, we got the beggining of the post-secret wars era, including an odd in-continuity videogame inspired contest of champions comic. Two book which are basically previews and Secret War #6.
It's a bit weird to have the post-secret war books starting to come out while the main miniseries is still going, but as much as I loved battleworld, I have to admite a fatigue was coming and I am happy to see the characters again without them being part of a kind of "what if" story.

So, here is my proposal for the thread: one big topic will always be the "new" weekly comics. Another one will be a periodical topic where we really dig deep into the topic at hand. Sounds good?
Sure, and maybe some posts going over what ever else somebody has read through.

Like maybe an LTTP on a certain series.
--

Protip: Marvel Unlimited on mobile freaks out if a character has more than 1000 comics they are featured in, so you'll have to "Filter" a certain year range to get it to display properly.

as much as i love comic book movies i just can't get into superhero comics, everytime i start somewhere i feel like i'm missing out on so much. everybody says you don't need to know the stuff but i always think i do and get annoyed and stop.

gazele

Banned
I'd be down, I'm reading the original Secret Wars right now, pretty interesting to finally read one of the first big crossovers

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I read it recently and I found it hard to read-it's very dated. How about you?

Agreed. I had a similar reaction to the Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade and Onslaught. Comic writing has come a long way in a short time.

Dalek

Agreed. I had a similar reaction to the Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade and Onslaught. Comic writing has come a long way in a short time.

It really has. I tried to read some of the "classics" I read as a kid-notably Claremont's X-Men. The dialogue just isn't readable in any "natural" way and its jarring.

VAD

I'm currently reading the Maddrox run of X-Factor. It's so awesome I can't wait until some Fox exec decides to adapt it.

I'm a member, love it, wish DC would do something similar.

Did you guys check out this weeks books? Wtf, they released the new iron man and dr strange books but Secret wars isn't even finished yet.

Check out Rick remenders run on X-force btw, it's excellent.

Sblargh

Banned
I love og secret wars, but it's a very personal nostalgia thing to me. It was the saga that introduced very young me to the marvel universe beyond Spider-man. It was my first contact with a lot of characters, including captain America, reed Richards and doctor doom.

And the whole thing where they climb the mountain to attack galactus and doctor doom becoming omnipotent felt like the epickest thing ever. Character work is a bit all over the place, but there is some very solid action going on secret wars.
It is a bit retreshing, comparing to events that happen these days, that it barely wants to advance the continuity. A few characters get something out of it (notably, of course, Spider-man first time dealing with the symbiont costume), but it's mainly about a bunch of super people punching each other and it does it very well.

Infinity gauntlet is still very good in my opinion, but the rest of the Infinity saga is kind of painful to read.

Anyway, later today (it is 4 am here) I will revamp the OP with a few guidelines and stuff, not to stop anyone from talking about anything marvel you might want to talk, but to focus the conversation a little bit.
Our topic is, of course, doctor strange. There are some suggested readings already in the thread, please keep suggesting if you are fond of any Doctor Strange run not yet mentioned and as for the reading itself, start wherever you like and read as much as you please. And once again, don't be shy about sharing with us your thoughts on the sorcerer supreme and anything that crosses your mind while reading his comics.

Also worth mentioning that Doctor Strange #1 with art by Bachallo is also up on MU. And I loved it. I loved how grounded it is with the ghostbusters-esque thing where Doctor Strange answers to house calls and I love that being grounded doesn't stop it from being completely weird and metaphysical. Very nice balance there.

PrawnyNZ

I'm in, love MU. Really wish DC would do something similar.

Haven't read Dr Strange, so that's a good place to start this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It really has. I tried to read some of the "classics" I read as a kid-notably Claremont's X-Men. The dialogue just isn't readable in any "natural" way and its jarring.

It's more than jarring -- it's like a wave of pure gravity travellin' through the ol' Canucklehead's body, rattlin' everything I got for all it's worth. Good thing my mutant healin' factor an' unbreakable adamantium skeleton manage to hold me together long enough to ride it out! Okay, bub -- MY TURN!

User1608

Banned
Just finished Darth Vader and Star Wars. Awesome stuff.

I've been a happy and satisfied subscriber the last 7 months. I can't believe I missed out on so much comic goodness.

Incrediblehulktheend1.jpg

This one fucked me up in particular.
Bruce essentially dying with Hulk being truly alone at the end is so haunting.
The what if comics and Marvel multiverse can be so cruel!

Dalek

It's more than jarring -- it's like a wave of pure gravity travellin' through the ol' Canucklehead's body, rattlin' everything I got for all it's worth. Good thing my mutant healin' factor an' unbreakable adamantium skeleton manage to hold me together long enough to ride it out! Okay, bub -- MY TURN!

Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom