• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Unlimited reading club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
Have any Waid suggestions?

One thing i find bad about the MU app is its hard to search by writer

His 2002 Fantastic four run is magical. His daredevil run (which ended not long ago) is great, too.
As already said in the thread, his agents of Shield the TV show the comic book is really fun.

Most of his career was on DC, finally he is a Marvel shill like the rest of us.

Waid's daredevil is great but I think you get more out of it you read Bendis's run first. It's a great counterpoint to that. Even Waid's Hulk which didn't seem to get much hype was pretty interesting.

gazele

Banned
Cool, thanks for the recommendations

I read all of Hickman's FF (but not Fantastic four, need to do that) so it'd be interesting to get a new perspective

I'll probably pull a list of Waid's comic runs

Any good punisher that dont make him a generic action hero? I like it when you see no, punisher really is fucked up and you aren't supposed to root for him.

Wtf? A giant Russian dude with breasts and a warlord threatening to rape punishers corpse? Should have known it was garth ennis.

I subscribed to MU a few weeks back and have been burning through a couple storylines. I read through Annihilation as was suggested (it was okay) and Civil War just to see if it was as bad as people said (I honestly didn't think so, it changed the characters here and there but the storyline itself was pretty solid). I also read through House of M which was so far one of my favorites, and the Uncanny X-Force with the dream team is next on my list (read the not so great run that followed the good one first by accident).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Still wrapping up some SW tie-ins. Those crazy battle spreads they had throughout Siege were super neat.

KEhz1D4.jpg

AY0IXfA.jpg

EX86gkl.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Weird I wonder why they remove the search bar. But if you go to Comics>Browse>Series you will get to this page: http://marvel.com/comics/series
And if you scroll down you will see this:

The usability of Marvel Unlimited is just hilarious. Doesn't track what you're reading across devices, doesn't let you add series to library, searching seems unnecessarily difficult, weird that Unlimited and regular are totally separate apps and properties. Could go on. Thankfully the library's really good, especially for someone who's been out of comics for 15 years. If I just sit down and blitz through a series in one sitting I usually don't notice most of the little annoyances.

Been on MU for almost four years. It's the best deal in comics, bar none. I barely read any DC, but would instantly subscribe if they offered an equivalent. Free money, DiDio!

Removing the search bar is the single craziest thing I've seen them do, and I've been with the service dating back to when their mobile apps were 100% unusable. I love being able to type in an exact issue name and number and bam...no more.

Anyway, I'm currently going through the 1964 Daredevil backlog and posting mini-summaries on comics GAF. Hit issue #50 yesterday. When I get enough of a backlog saved up, I'll probably start a separate thread with the full review.

Sweet, that's the exact thing I was looking for. Do you know why some are bolded and some aren't? I see the unlimited on logo on bolded and regular titles so I'm not sure what the difference is.

I think the comics are bold because they are the most current series that are still going on; they all have "present" in the year.

gazele

Banned
Started reading the X-men (1991) comics with art by Jim Lee since I love the TV show that's based on these comics but never read them

MU doesn't have all of them though, the only continuous are #1-8 so I'll read those, hopefully they add more later

Then its on to the Waid SHIELD comic

I finished reading Strange Tales #110-146 it was very enjoyable some stand out issues for me were #117 and the ending story arc from #130-146.

In issue #117 Baron Mordo actually had a good plan this time but Dr. Strange overcomes it in the most ridiculous way. The fight at the end between Mordo and Dr. Strange was good as well.

The Mordo/Dormammu team-up story arc from #130-146 is very good but also crazy; Dr. Strange has an insane recovery time. The different dimensions and villains that Dr. Strange encountered especially The Demon of the Mask and Tazza were cool and interesting. The fights between Strange/Mordo and Strange/Dormammu had great visuals. I notice in some issues that Dr. Strange began to use hand-to-hand combat hopefully this will become more of a thing to add more motion to the battles. The final fight between Strange and Dormammu was okay but the Eternity/Dormammu fight was awesome and a great way to end the arc. The only thing I didn’t like about the story arc was that some of the issues were just Dr. Strange running away but Strange flying into the Sun made up for it.

I stopped reading Marvel comics forever ago so I decided to get a year's sub and dig in.

Can anyone recommend some comics for my 8 year old son to read? He likes the GOTG movie but are the comics ok?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Started reading the X-men (1991) comics with art by Jim Lee since I love the TV show that's based on these comics but never read them

MU doesn't have all of them though, the only continuous are #1-8 so I'll read those, hopefully they add more later

Then its on to the Waid SHIELD comic

Most of Jim Lee's X-Men work was in Uncanny X-Men and those are all there. (248, 256-258, 267-277)

I signed up for a free month of Marvel Unlimited recently, and have absolutely no idea where to start. I've never read a Marvel comic in my life. In fact, the only comics I've ever read are a few Batman ones and the Walking Dead.

I enjoy the MCU films, if that helps.

I doubt I'd enjoy any really old stuff; from what little I've seen, it looks too cheesy.

Is Civil War a good place to start?

gazele

Banned
I signed up for a free month of Marvel Unlimited recently, and have absolutely no idea where to start. I've never read a Marvel comic in my life. In fact, the only comics I've ever read are a few Batman ones and the Walking Dead.

I doubt I'd enjoy any really old stuff; from what little I've seen, it looks too cheesy.

The general consensus is that overall Civil War is a pretty bad event, but it does have lots of the MCU characters and it would set low expectations for the movie and other events haha

That's a good question about a starting point

When I started reading Marvel I started with the ultimate universe since its easier to jump into

Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men, Ultimates (equivalent of Avengers and basically the basis of the MCU)

Others may have better suggestions though

Teggy

I started reading about 2 years ago and started at Avengers Disassembled. I think it's a good place to start because it is basically the event that sets ups most of what goes on in the universe for the next 10 years basically culminating in AvX.

A couple of years after that you also get Annihilation, which is where Cosmic Marvel (Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.) got rebooted.

Right now I've made it to the start of the Marvel Now era. There are a few books I'm really liking, such as All New X-Men, X-Men Legacy, Cable and X-Force and Avengers Arena. Some of the stories at the end of the AvX era got so outlandish and convoluted (Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers in particular) that I'm glad to see them over.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
By the way, for those who are lost about where to start, here's an excellent link:

Comic Book Herald's Complete Marvel Reading Order Guide

A LOT of up-to-date suggested reading lists for both the Marvel Universe in general and individual characters/teams.

They list the issues and minis that would be considered essential reading for each event/character/team/etc, with acclaimed or important stories, first appearances, etc. A lot of them include a blurb explaining what each arc is about and so on.

These lists will sometimes include issues that might not be in MU, but that's less of a problem with each passing week since they constantly dump older comics on the service.

Everyone should start with the original Secret Wars. It's basically the start of peanutbutter/chocolate, mash everything together, event Marvel.

Just read Agents if Atlas (6 mini from 2006) and it us golden if you like noir, spy stories and golden age characters. The following outgoing from 2007-2008 is also good stuff.

Elbereth

Reading through the Dark Reign Arc. Really enjoying it thus far. I have to be a bit careful to stay within the arc as its usually easy to continue on with whoever book I'm in (Iron-Man, Captain Marvel, Deadpool, etc), and jump back into the main arc and whatever book continues it.

didn't really want to make a whole new thread on this question, and it may have been answered before, but is there any type of windows app for marvel unlimited? i want to subscribe but the only tablet i have is a surface pro rt and i'm not going to buy another tablet just for MU. i went to their site on there but it seems that the only apps they have are for mac and android.

Teggy

Reading through the Dark Reign Arc. Really enjoying it thus far. I have to be a bit careful to stay within the arc as its usually easy to continue on with whoever book I'm in (Iron-Man, Captain Marvel, Deadpool, etc), and jump back into the main arc and whatever book continues it.

Dark Reign had some good stuff - I liked Dark Avengers a lot. The only problem is that the premise is so ridiculous. Yes, let's take a known psychopath who was most recently in jail and give him control of the country's defense. I know it's comic books, but really now...

Teggy

didn't really want to make a whole new thread on this question, and it may have been answered before, but is there any type of windows app for marvel unlimited? i want to subscribe but the only tablet i have is a surface pro rt and i'm not going to buy another tablet just for MU. i went to their site on there but it seems that the only apps they have are for mac and android.

There's not an app per se, but if you open up a comic online it comes up in a special reader.

There's not an app per se, but if you open up a comic online it comes up in a special reader.

any opinions on the in-browser reading? i've tried to test one or two out and its hard to get a feel for how it would be because they let you read a page or two and its usually the writing credits -_-

Elbereth

Dark Reign had some good stuff - I liked Dark Avengers a lot. The only problem is that the premise is so ridiculous. Yes, let's take a known psychopath who was most recently in jail and give him control of the country's defense. I know it's comic books, but really now...

I totally agree with that. I mean, Normal Osborn? There are plenty of individuals I would have chose before him, but I must say that he has definitely grown on me.

Sblargh

Banned
I thought the thread had died, lol.
I been reading some 70s doctor strange stuff, but made a detour to see if I could finally figure out what is up with scarlet witch magic and it is kind of hilarious the amount of coincidences that occur because the writer wanted, in a single 20 page book, to set up the reveal that the twins are magneto's sons, to retcon the origin story so it looked like an unrelated event, to explain Wanda's natural disposition to chaos magic, to (re)introduce the demon responsible, turn him into a menace and then having the avengers defeat him.

A woman escaping from her husband (not yet revealed to be magneto) give birth to twins at wundagore Mountain, evil lair of the high evolutionary. She dies at birth.
At the same time, whizzer and miss america come to the same mountain and also have twins, but both the mother and the babies die. Bova lies to the husband that the babies survived, but he rejects them anyway (this is the retconning of the origin story).
At the same time, the high evolutionary and a time traveling Morgan Le Fay battle some chaos demon who was hibernating on the mountain since the middle ages, he was there by chance afaik.
The fight happens at the exact same time the twins are born, so the demon escapes into Wanda.

Wundagore mountain itself has a weird story, since it is one of the only sources of vibranium outside Wakanda, but the high evolutionary set up his lab there without knowing it, also without knowing a chaos demon was there.

And I am pretty sure the story is more convoluted still and I am actually forgetting something. And of course, all of this so they being magneto's sons (and maybe even mutants) to also be retconned.

Sblargh

Banned
New comics today

Nothing interesting on the "old comics" from afaik, but the new comics seem fun.
Captain America doing good work and ruffling some right wing jimmies on the commentary section (basically the only comic to have an active commentary section by angry republicans vowing to cancel this last comic of marvel unless they bring their true captain america back!)
Angela better than I expected and House of M worst than I expected.
Did not read the rest yet, but hopeful for the howling commandos (love the idea), new squirrel girl and ant-man.

I want to like the new avengers because it has my compatriot Roberto da Costa (tamo aí, irmão, sendo CEO das ideia avançada e pá), but the first issue kind of left me cold.

Can someone please answer a question for me?

Why are they releasing books that are supposed to come out after secret wars ends?

Uncanny avengers is already up on marvel unlimited, and a bunch of other stuff, but the description a states that it's after the end of secret wars, but issue 6 isn't even out yet.

Sblargh

Banned
Can someone please answer a question for me?

Why are they releasing books that are supposed to come out after secret wars ends?

Uncanny avengers is already up on marvel unlimited, and a bunch of other stuff, but the description a states that it's after the end of secret wars, but issue 6 isn't even out yet.

It follows the release calender, not a chronological in-universe calendar.

If it was messed up and confusing 6 months ago, it keeps being messed and confusing now.

It follows the release calender, not a chronological in-universe calendar.

If it was messed up and confusing 6 months ago, it keeps being messed and confusing now.

Ah, I see. Very confusing and frustating. I really wanna see how secret wars ends, it's pretty god damn good so far.

Thanks for your halp!

Sblargh

Banned
Is this worth the sub, and if so what tier should I go with

I think so. Amazing library of old comics plus being only 6 months behind the rest of the world for a fraction of the price is pretty great in my opinion.

The tiers depends on what else you plan on doing, I guess. They are mostly about discounts for physical stuff, aren't they? I don't plan on buying physical stuff, so I am happy with the lower tier.
-

Should I begin to read the star wars stuff? There are some interesting creative teams on some of these books, but I haven't even seen The Force Awakens yet.

I think so. Amazing library of old comics plus being only 6 months behind the rest of the world for a fraction of the price is pretty great in my opinion.

The tiers depends on what else you plan on doing, I guess. They are mostly about discounts for physical stuff, aren't they? I don't plan on buying physical stuff, so I am happy with the lower tier.
-

Should I begin to read the star wars stuff? There are some interesting creative teams on some of these books, but I haven't even seen The Force Awakens yet.
Okay, thanks for your input, next time I get paid I'm subbing

gazele

Banned

-

Star Wars is all Episode 4-related stories

I've read some of them and they seem pretty good, if inconsequential due to them taking place between movies

Really hoping for some post Episode 6 comics at some point

Elbereth

I think this is one of the greatest values out there. $10 a month for a treasure trove of comics. If you are a comic fan, it is without question worth the price.

My favorite is the Comic Events section. All the major story arcs and all the issues all in one convenient place.

I really wish DC had an equivalent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom