• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Unlimited reading club

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Just got MU this month. First foray into comics, basically. Outside of Watchmen, V for Vendetta and a few Batman comics here and there, I never really got into em.

So far I'm liking it. Read Frank Miller's Daredevil run, which was cool but felt really short and kind of pointless because of that. Kevin Smith's Daredevil run was fucking weird. Matt Faction's Hawkeye so far is amazing. Love Captain Marvel so far, too.

I've also been getting through Avengers, New Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy go kind of try and see what an "event" is like. Reading stuff going into Infinity. It's kinda confusing jumping in there, but not bad so far anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
as much as i love comic book movies i just can't get into superhero comics, everytime i start somewhere i feel like i'm missing out on so much. everybody says you don't need to know the stuff but i always think i do and get annoyed and stop.

Use wikis when you first start reading. Eventually you'll stop using them and have a better understanding of the characters and stories.

hamchan

Sure I'm for this.

Was planning on going through Frank Miller's run on Daredevil.

Also currently going through the old Star Wars comics. The KOTOR one ain't bad.

I picked up MCU last year, and have done nothing but go through the Ultimate universe.
Hoping to take the plunge in 616 universe somewhere at some point. No idea where as I kinda want to read through some of the older (70 or 80s onwards) stuff

HiiiLife

Thanks to Comic Gaf I've been hip to the app for a bit now. Basically binged all the Punisher volumes available. Aside from Black Panther, I'm not sure who else to read. Worth it though.

Use wikis when you first start reading. Eventually you'll stop using them and have a better understanding of the characters and stories.

ya i know, i still always feel like i'm missing half of the fun and i don't really like having to look stuff up. i'll stick to self contained stories.

gazele

Banned
I read it recently and I found it hard to read-it's very dated. How about you?

Definitely, this may be sacreligous but any comic before 1990 (maybe even later) seems very dated to me everyone ends every sentence with a "!" and its hard to get much individuality between characters but its interesting to see what comics were like in the past

Rooster12

It really has. I tried to read some of the "classics" I read as a kid-notably Claremont's X-Men. The dialogue just isn't readable in any "natural" way and its jarring.

To be honest dialogue hasn't improved that much these days.

Sure they talk "modern" but a lot of it is still bunch of nonsense.

wolverine-and-the-x-men-6-kitty-heartburn.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
I just read Doctor Strange (1974) #1-5
Here's a review:

Those five issues are all part of a single story arc where a dying Doctor Strange has to transverse the realms of unreality within the Orb of Agamotto into the lair of Death so he can save Clea from the man who almost killed him: Silver Dagger.

Silver Dagger is an interesting villain as he is clearly not as powerful as the Sorcerer Supreme, but he more than makes up for it with cunning. By using Clea to invade the Sanctum Sanctorum, Silver Dagger is able to approach a sleeping Stephen Strange and, using his homonimous silver dagger, he literally stabs our hero in the back. Leaving him for dead while escaping with both Clea and The Eye of Agamotto.

The majority of the 5 issues are divided in two settings, as Doctor Strange fight against both unreality and death while an imprisoned Clea has to listen to Silver Dagger, a religious fanatic who almost became Pope if not for the politics of the Vatican. After the disappointment, he became paranoid about Satan and wizards; deciding then to use "filthy" black magic as a weapon of God against demons such as Doctor Strange.

The two sides also marks the two themes.
Doctor Strange's metaphysical adventure in unreality serves as a test of sorts; while soul suckers and dream versions of other superheroes give us nice action scenes, they are not resolved by violence, but by a depper knowledge about life, reality and death. As if trying to escape his own unconscious, Doctor Strange real battle is against what makes him a normal human being, who fears death and has a clear grasp on reality; indeed, it is not the magical superpowers that makes him Doctor Strange, but his transcendent knowledge about nature and reality.
Silver Dagger, on the other hand, is a kind of shallow metaphysician. Claiming to be a weapon of God and to act in the name of a supernatural being, he often reveals himself a very shallow, bitter person. He tries to "save" Clea, who he sees as a sad story of a poor girl with no money who went to New York to become a hippie only to be seduced by a demon. There is nothing deep or transcendent about his speech, only empty self-righteousness and clichés like "I am not insane. They thought too that Christ was insane...!"

When the confrontation between the two men finally happens, Silver Dagger uses his mystical artifacts as a weapon. But "The Eye of Agamotto is not a weapon", Stephen Strange says; instead, it is a tool of knowledge and the strenght of the Eye is not in what it destroy, but in the truth that it reveals.

An excellent start for what promises to be a very good run. Englehart clearly done his homework on the kind of New Age "everything is one" mysticality that guides the stories; at the same time, something of a hippie himself, he has clear real world adversaries who he want to target and he walks a fine line while doing that. He is not at all subtle or shy when making his critiques of religion or advancing his own metaphysical views, but he does so in a way where a genuine fun and exciting superhero story is woven into that. His Doctor Strange is not just powerful, he is also wise and what I hope for the rest of the run is that this wisdom keep being what guides the adventures.

I started reading Marvel comic about two or three months before Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out thanks to marvel unlimited. I really like this idea and its great to go back and read issues of my favorite superhero. So far I have read Strange Tales #110-111, 114-116 here are some of my thoughts:

#110 - I really like that this is the starting point for Dr.Strange it begins with a really simple premise. But then Nightmare (who isn't really the main antagonist of the story) shows up looking boss on his totally awesome horse and decides to mess with Dr. Strange because he is in his dimension. This is great and how the story plays out feels different then the other superheros out there and I am glad Nightmare is the first villain because I think Baron Mordo is a boring villain (imo).

#115 - Stephan Strange is more of a dick then I remember, lol. Dr. Strange origin story isn't really that great because is constrained to 8 pages; am I the only one confused when on the last page Strange was able to talk to the Ancient One even though even though Baron Mordo spell was still active (I guess we have to assumed they were talking telepathically). Although here is why I dislike Baron Mordo he has the same traits as Loki which is another villain I find boring in the early comicbooks.

#116 - It was great to see more of the nightmare dimension everything look really cool. Although Nightmares' plan suck and how the fight ended was suck too.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think I am going to subscribe. Just waiting for the next promo code.
This.

I did a trial of MU and started reading Civil War (everything, not just the main ones) and probably got about 30 issues in before the trial finished. I'd love to take part in this thread.

KodaRuss

So does anyone on here use the browser version of Marvel Unlimited? I have a Surface and there are no apps for it on the Windows store. I have heard some fairly negative things about using the browser version.

So does anyone on here use the browser version of Marvel Unlimited? I have a Surface and there are no apps for it on the Windows store. I have heard some fairly negative things about using the browser version.

Using the browser used to be really, really bad but it has gotten better. Viewing comics in a browser now is just as good as the app.

Sblargh

Banned
I started reading Marvel comic about two or three months before Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out thanks to marvel unlimited. I really like this idea and its great to go back and read issues of my favorite superhero. So far I have read Strange Tales #110-111, 114-116 here are some of my thoughts:

#110 - I really like that this is the starting point for Dr.Strange it begins with a really simple premise. But then Nightmare (who isn't really the main antagonist of the story) shows up looking boss on his totally awesome horse and decides to mess with Dr. Strange because he is in his dimension. This is great and how the story plays out feels different then the other superheros out there and I am glad Nightmare is the first villain because I think Baron Mordo is a boring villain (imo).

#115 - Stephan Strange is more of a dick then I remember, lol. Dr. Strange origin story isn't really that great because is constrained to 8 pages; am I the only one confused when on the last page Strange was able to talk to the Ancient One even though even though Baron Mordo spell was still active (I guess we have to assumed they were talking telepathically). Although here is why I dislike Baron Mordo he has the same traits as Loki which is another villain I find boring in the early comicbooks.

#116 - It was great to see more of the nightmare dimension everything look really cool. Although Nightmares' plan suck and how the fight ended was suck too.

You know, I always thought that Strange's and Tony Stark's origin were similar, but thinking about it, comic book Tony Stark was never actually an asshole on his origin story, also because during his origin, in the 60s, selling weapons was seen on the comic book as something patriotic and admirable.

So, really, the whole thing of becoming a superhero through a humbling experience that is the Iron Man movie actually is Dr. Strange origin story.

You know, I always thought that Strange's and Tony Stark's origin were similar, but thinking about it, comic book Tony Stark was never actually an asshole on his origin story, also because during his origin, in the 60s, selling weapons was seen on the comic book as something patriotic and admirable.

So, really, the whole thing of becoming a superhero through a humbling experience that is the Iron Man movie actually is Dr. Strange origin story.

I was actually going to make the comparison but remember I was thinking of movie Tony Stark and not early comicbook Stark. Although comicbook Stark does have a flaw that is explored in a couple issues during the 1970s about alcoholism. I remember reading them but I can't remember what issues it happened in.

Sblargh

Banned
I was actually going to make the comparison but remember I was thinking of movie Tony Stark and not early comicbook Stark. Although comicbook Stark does have a flaw that is explored in a couple issues during the 1970s about alcoholism. I remember reading them but I can't remember what issues it happened in.

That's way after the origin. Stark's flaw on the 60s was that he needed to use the breastplate at all times and recharge it from time to time. So he was rich, handsome and famous, but couldn't have a social life due to the constant need to maintain the breastplate that kept his heart going.
But this wasn't seen as a humbling experience, just as irony. "the man who has everything and nothing at the same time" and stuff.

Sblargh

Banned
New releases today are all over the place. A bunch of secret wars tie-ins ending, some post secret wars stuff starting (guardians of the galaxy featuring Ben Grimm? Wha?) and a lone Ms. Marvel: the last days that feels like somebody missed a bunch of deadlines (not talking about the quality, but the fact that it is a prequel to Secret Wars wrapping up when the sequel is starting).
This event thing is tough business.

For the delight of our topic, a lot of new 70s Doctor Strange comics are up, including the conclusion of Englehart's run. There's also some odd 90s 00s Fantastic Four stuff, but they don't seem to be part of anything. Just, you know, the intern did the smart panels, so they uploaded it.

I am thinking of cashing in the civil war hype (hopefully with more success than my pathetic bump attempt) by having it be Black Panther week next week. So I am welcoming all Black Panther recommendations for a more snazzy OP next monday.

gazele

Banned
New releases today are all over the place. A bunch of secret wars tie-ins ending, some post secret wars stuff starting (guardians of the galaxy featuring Ben Grimm? Wha?) and a lone Ms. Marvel: the last days that feels like somebody missed a bunch of deadlines (not talking about the quality, but the fact that it is a prequel to Secret Wars wrapping up when the sequel is starting).
This event thing is tough business.

For the delight of our topic, a lot of new 70s Doctor Strange comics are up, including the conclusion of Englehart's run. There's also some odd 90s 00s Fantastic Four stuff, but they don't seem to be part of anything. Just, you know, the intern did the smart panels, so they uploaded it.

I am thinking of cashing in the civil war hype (hopefully with more success than my pathetic bump attempt) by having it be Black Panther week next week. So I am welcoming all Black Panther recommendations for a more snazzy OP next monday.

I'd be interested in reading some black panther, don't think I've read much of his solo stuff

Nakho

Great thread.

Currently reading Frank Miller take on Daredevil, about to start the Born Again arc. The Elektra arc was just... amazing. Really recommended.

Famassu

Might as well as it here as well. I want to read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, but is there something essential I should read before it to get more out of it?

Sblargh

Banned
Might as well as it here as well. I want to read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, but is there something essential I should read before it to get more out of it?

I think not. I remember it being very self-contained. Hum. At the time of this comic, Colossus was dead and that's it, I think.

Colossus died to produce antibodies to a mutant plague or something, but that story is kind of boring from what I remember. I think you will be fine just jumping into it.

Famassu

I think not. I remember it being very self-contained. Hum. At the time of this comic, Colossus was dead and that's it, I think.

Colossus died to produce antibodies to a mutant plague or something, but that story is kind of boring from what I remember. I think you will be fine just jumping into it.
Ok, thanks. Any good follow-ups? Does the Astonishing X-Men hold up after Whedon's run?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Love Marvel Unlimited. Most of my main comics i buy physical, but MU is great to catch up on stuff or read more obscure things

Recently ive read

- Avengers Arena and Avengers undercover
- Star wars: Darth Vader and the ghost prison
- Drax the destroyer
- Some issues of Avengers and xmen

going to read some more star wars stuff and reread all of civil war just before the movie ;)

Only recently got into comics books over last three months, love it all so far.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was all caught up on the Hickman stuff (FF, Avengers, etc) when Secret Wars started on the app, but them I couldn't keep up with the deluge of tie-ins. They showed up faster than I had time to read them!

A lot of the tie-ins are pretty fun, most range from good to great. I dig the whole weird politics of Battleworld, and how each region deals with it differently.

Anyway, I'll try to finish the issues I have in my library until the next update. That way I can keep up with the ANAD books while I go back to the regular schedule of reading assorted older comics and sagas.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, thanks. Any good follow-ups? Does the Astonishing X-Men hold up after Whedon's run?

Oh yeah. After Whedon, comes Warren Ellis. Tbh, I think I have missed this run (as well as the end of Whedon's run. I often take breaks from superhero reading), but Warren Ellis is usually a very good writer, so if you like the team, I would keep reading.

I was all caught up on the Hickman stuff (FF, Avengers, etc) when Secret Wars started on the app, but them I couldn't keep up with the deluge of tie-ins. They showed up faster than I had time to read them!

A lot of the tie-ins are pretty fun, most range from good to great. I dig the whole weird politics of Battleworld, and how each region deals with it differently.

Anyway, I'll try to finish the issues I have in my library until the next update. That way I can keep up with the ANAD books while I go back to the regular schedule of reading assorted older comics and sagas.

I kind of wish battleworld would go on forever, as a permanent what-if kind of thing, but I am glad to see it ending. It actually showed me that I need continuity (even if retconning and ressurections and such always happen) to really care about the characters. Knowing that at any point the reset button will be pressed makes the stories feel less important.

I love the concept behind this thread. I've tried to wade into COMICS-GAF a few times and it's a nightmare world that I'll never understand. Subbed.

DagsJT

I'm going to sign up for MU once I finish Batman: Year One. I'm not sure I've ever read a Marvel comic so I'll be a bit overwhelmed!

Three things:

Jim Steranko's SHIELD run is the featured reading club thing for this week. The stuff is amazing. He basically walked into Stan Lee's office and said "I can draw better than all of these clowns you call artists" and got a job.

I think they just added Dr. Strange: Season One to MU but I don't think it works...

Everyone should read Incredible Hercules. It's great. It's a better Rick Jones/Hulk series than any Rick Jones/Hulk series.

mjc

Three things:

Jim Steranko's SHIELD run is the featured reading club thing for this week. The stuff is amazing. He basically walked into Stan Lee's office and said "I can draw better than all of these clowns you call artists" and got a job.

I think they just added Dr. Strange: Season One to MU but I don't think it works...

Everyone should read Incredible Hercules. It's great. It's a better Rick Jones/Hulk series than any Rick Jones/Hulk series.

Yeah they're adding stuff that takes place post-Secret Wars...which is a little weird since they aren't done uploading Secret Wars stuff?

What are some essential Black Panther comics to read?

Fuu

Yeah they're adding stuff that takes place post-Secret Wars...which is a little weird since they aren't done uploading Secret Wars stuff?

What are some essential Black Panther comics to read?
The main Secret Wars series suffered delays and they had to start releasing the ANAD #1 books before it was over. Unlimited is just following the same schedule those comics did 6 months ago with each weekly update.

Funnily enough, something similar happened with the 1984 Secret Wars: Spider-Man already had the symbiote costume in his own comic for months before the Secret Wars mini was released and it was explained how he got it.

I kind of wish battleworld would go on forever, as a permanent what-if kind of thing, but I am glad to see it ending. It actually showed me that I need continuity (even if retconning and ressurections and such always happen) to really care about the characters. Knowing that at any point the reset button will be pressed makes the stories feel less important.
Yeah, I know what you mean. On the other hand it was pretty fun having writers going nuts with the concepts since it was all temporary.

I've been wasting away a year subscription of MU for about three months now, hopefully posting in this thread can get me to read some more, been wanting to do a Spider-Man BND read through for awhile now. I'll knock a few issues out tonight and post some impressions later.

Good recommendations throughout the thread so far.

Fuu

For anyone wanting to read something more comedic I suggest the 2015 Howard the Duck series by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones. Funny and smart writing with lots of cameos.

nLJuhcN.jpg

RhbByGz.jpg

Another good beginner-friendly recent comic that's great with cameos and delivering an entertaining use of the Marvel universe is Mark Waid's run in S.H.I.E.L.D.. Picture the AoS TV show if it was allowed to go crazy and didn't have budget or contractual constraints.

7SeMZSX.jpg

Plus, Jeremiah Warrick:

geZFWLp.jpg

0AhQqrg.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
Two things I am finding out.
The 70s is my favorite marvel decade.
Mark Waid is my favorite contemporary marvel writer. Even if I worship Hickman, Mark Waid is like "ok, let's have fun with great superhero stories! Weeee!"
Hickman stuff feels special and smart. But Mark Waid stuff is like, the reason I read this stuff.

Mark Waid is my favorite contemporary marvel writer. Even if I worship Hickman, Mark Waid is like "ok, let's have fun with great superhero stories! Weeee!"
Hickman stuff feels special and smart. But Mark Waid stuff is like, the reason I read this stuff.
Hickman is OK in small doses but his characters are so boring and the way he names things is so dumb. I don't like things being esoteric for the sake of being esoteric.

Waid is great. His fantastic four run is a lot of fun.

Rick Remender and kieron gillen are another two writers that I highly recommend.

gazele

Banned

Have any Waid suggestions?

One thing i find bad about the MU app is its hard to search by writer

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the reco Fuu. With humorous comics I've found it tough to find something that's not just juvenile (which I felt Punisher and Deadpool were) but I loooooove Howard the Duck as a character.

I've read a couple dozen random series so far since getting my Unlimited sub last week and my favs are Inhumans (98): https://marvel.com/comics/series/2026/inhumans_1998_-_1999

and Spider Woman (09): https://marvel.com/comics/series/7119/spider-woman_2009_-_2010

Amazing art in both, though I think SW ended prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom