• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alucrid said:
For the life of me I can't seem to do any flight combos which puts so many characters off the list for me to use. :|
Practice Dante's jHxx Air Play, jH link. It's pretty much the same timing as flight cancels, but but you can keep practicing it faster because you don't have to keep canceling flight.

hitsugi

Karsticles said:
This is called an exaggeration.
Some of the earliest combos ever put up with her did 100%. It's called a fact. Although the degree of difficulty will naturally vary based upon personal skill levels... and DP is more likely to kill people with xfactor chip / bnb damage before she needs to actually do anything skillful. Do you play Phoenix, by any chance?

For the most part, I think a lot of Phoenix players (and mvc3 players
In general) would prefer her as a "normal" character without the DP gimmick.

kirblar

hitsugi said:
There seems to be a lot of complaining about seeing "the same characters over and over".. especially after the last couple of tournaments.

I know most of you are (or should be) aware of this, but in time, no matter what capcom nerfs or removes from the game, tiers will emerge and those will be the characters that you see most often; there's no stopping that.

The DHC glitch is pretty powerful, but most of those teams can kill a character with 2 bars regardless. The only character that we aren't seeing enough of right now is Viper.. everything else seems about right in terms of what we currently know about this game.
Of course. However, the DHC glitch is giving players strong incentives to pick from a subset of characters that can "touch of death" with only 1-2 meters, which is what is starting to restrict the characters seen in competitive play. Those characters and combinations have an advantage over ones that can't take advantage of the glitch, and it's resulting in less variety in playstyle and team composition.

No one debates that some characters will be better/more popular. It's just that that when the big difference in power level is due to a missed bug in the game that will be patched eventually, having to wait out the time until the patch hits and restores the intended game mechanics is sort of frustrating.

kirblar

hitsugi said:
Some of the earliest combos ever put up with her did 100%. It's called a fact. Although the degree of difficulty will naturally vary based upon personal skill levels... and DP is more likely to kill people with xfactor chip / bnb damage before she needs to actually do anything skillful. Do you play Phoenix, by any chance?

Phoenix would be overpowered if she had double life and no Dark Phoenix. Her homing projectiles and teleport are there primarily to let her try and hunt down players who are playing runaway vs her. Her "all the answers" moveset would be ridiculous on a normal character.

hitsugi

kirblar said:
Phoenix would be overpowered if she had double life and no Dark Phoenix. Her homing projectiles and teleport are there primarily to let her try and hunt down players who are playing runaway vs her. Her "all the answers" moveset would be ridiculous on any other character.
I agree.. Phoenix is ridiculously good on her own. I suppose DP gives her the balance / imbalance ratio that people love / hate.

Grecco

kirblar said:
Of course. However, the DHC glitch is giving players strong incentives to pick from a subset of characters that can "touch of death" with only 1-2 meters, which is what is starting to restrict the characters seen in competitive play. Those characters and combinations have an advantage over ones that can't take advantage of the glitch, and it's resulting in less variety in playstyle and team composition.

No one debates that some characters will be better/more popular. It's just that that when the big difference in power level is due to a missed bug in the game that will be patched eventually, having to wait out the time until the patch hits and restores the intended game mechanics is sort of frustrating.

I think this is an exageration.

Karsticles said:
This is called an exaggeration.

Phoenix is already the best offensive character in the game. Best flight, best teleport, probably top 3 traps, crazy mixups, one of the fastest character in the game and good projectiles that can be used to cross up. With Dark Phoenix, everything is augmented. With level 3 XF, it's not even fair.

Obviously, they balanced her out by making her the lowest HP character in the game (without dark phoenix), so the opponents' gameplay changes to take her out before she reaches 5 meters. Even your best choice (snapback) is a huge risk, especially if you watch someone like Clockwork run her since he actually learned how to use her instead of mashing buttons.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I played Viscant on ranked two times. Came sorta close one time, killing two of his characters including Phoenix. Didn't know he was also a well-known tourney player.

I really hope that if Capcom patches the DHC glitch, that they keep the hitstun decay reduction. Even without the game-winning damage, I think everyone agrees that the combos look cool. Although, nothing looks cooler than Magneto's pimp smack hyper grav loop into a raw tag combo.

The only glitches I think they should patch are weird stuff like floating that don't really affect gameplay.

I WANNA TEST MY TEAMS

m740Q.jpg

I need to master the Chun infinite :-(

jdub03

Nils said:
I played Viscant on ranked two times. Came sorta close one time, killing two of his characters including Phoenix. Didn't know he was also a well-known tourney player.

I play P Gorath all the time. He did pretty well in the WNF tourney. His wolverine/ shuma synergy is really good.

hitsugi

_dementia said:
Viscant has been playing for years. ST/A3/CVS1&2 head.
Fixed. Viscant was solid through much of mvc2's prime, but he was a force in the above-referenced titles as well... and enjoyed them more. He taught me a lot about patience in cvs2

hitsugi said:
Fixed. Viscant was solid through much of mvc2's prime, but he was a force in the above-referenced titles as well... and enjoyed them more. He taught me a lot about patience in cvs2
Awesome, I wasn't aware of that.

It's about how easy those are to set up. With X-Factor, her speed boost lets her teleports recover even faster, and everything she does becomes safer. Dark Phoenix is much easier to counter without X-Factor on. I'm not disagreeing that her combos do huge damage, I'm differing on how easy they are to actually make happen without X-Factor.

No, I don't play Phoenix. I got my 30 matches in with her for the title, winning most of them with Dark Phoenix, and then moved on. If she were a viable character outside of Dark Phoenix, then I would put her on my team, because she would be a great partner for Dormammu. As she is, I have to play a meterless game with Dormammu, and that's just too strong of a conflict between the characters.

If they patch it. Capcom has said that certain bugs add to the game; they might feel this is one of them.

Phoenix would be overpowered if she had double life and no Dark Phoenix. Her homing projectiles and teleport are there primarily to let her try and hunt down players who are playing runaway vs her. Her "all the answers" moveset would be ridiculous on a normal character.
She might need some other adjustments, but that doesn't mean the option shouldn't be explored at all.

Phoenix is already the best offensive character in the game. Best flight, best teleport, probably top 3 traps, crazy mixups, one of the fastest character in the game and good projectiles that can be used to cross up. With Dark Phoenix, everything is augmented. With level 3 XF, it's not even fair.
I agree with all of this, except for best flight mode - I haven't seen her do anything crazy with flight compared to what Magneto, etc. can do.

I think it's important to remember that Dark Phoenix requires 5 bars though. For 3 bars, you can take most characters down by half of their life. So, a 5 bar hyper should roughly guarantee a dead character.

Obviously, they balanced her out by making her the lowest HP character in the game (without dark phoenix), so the opponents' gameplay changes to take her out before she reaches 5 meters. Even your best choice (snapback) is a huge risk, especially if you watch someone like Clockwork run her since he actually learned how to use her instead of mashing buttons.
I think balancing her around Phoenix, and then considering Dark Phoenix a nice little cookie if you achieve it, would help mitigate this issue.

Ferrio

Banned
Karsticles said:
If they patch it. Capcom has said that certain bugs add to the game; they might feel this is one of them.

Right, but this bug only affects a small portion of the cast it isn't something like Cancels from SFII, or Roll Cancelling CvS2 where everyone can take advantage of it (though some better than others).

Also the fact it's a glitch that gets around a specific system Capcom programmed in makes it even worse.

Right, but this bug only affects a small portion of the cast it isn't something like Cancels from SFII, or Roll Cancelling CvS2 where everyone can take advantage of it (though some better than others).

Also the fact it's a glitch that gets around a specific system Capcom programmed in makes it even worse.
MvC2's Juggernaut glitch only affected one character. Capcom decided to keep it as a feature for a small set of characters in MvC3. Besides, experience should make it clear to all of us that Capcom does not think in logic, otherwise Sentinel's HP wouldn't be 900K right now. I'm not saying they won't patch the DHC glitch out, just that I think people should not be so optimistic until we actually get some word from Capcom on the matter.

Ferrio

Banned
Karsticles said:
MvC2's Juggernaut glitch only affected one character. Capcom decided to keep it as a feature for a small set of characters in MvC3. Besides, experience should make it clear to all of us that Capcom does not think in logic, otherwise Sentinel's HP wouldn't be 900K right now. I'm not saying they won't patch the DHC glitch out, just that I think people should not be so optimistic until we actually get some word from Capcom on the matter.

Oh I'm not saying it will be patched out (I believe capcom doesn't give a shit personally unless they can charge us money). I'm just saying it's a bullshit glitch, and doesn't add anything to the game just takes it away.

Oh I'm not saying it will be patched out (I believe capcom doesn't give a shit personally unless they can charge us money). I'm just saying it's a bullshit glitch, and doesn't add anything to the game just takes it away.
I wouldn't say it adds nothing; there are some team combinations that it makes viable now that would not normally be so, and seeing Magnetic Tempest get DHCed into Sougenmu is always pleasureful to watch. I do think it should be removed (or toned down in some form if Capcom comes to consider it a feature) though.

Oddly enough, none of my teams make use of it at all...

My favorite glitch is the air tag one where there's no hitstun decay on air combos, so Chun, Sent and MODOK get ridiculous combos.
I don't think that's a glitch so much as a decision with adverse consequences. Those combos are so fun to watch, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Psh glitches are over rated. I find random dumb stuff like how arthur is the only one who can xfactor his level 3 to be more interesting. xD

hitsugi

_dementia said:
Awesome, I wasn't aware of that.
No problem :D I've known the guy for nearly 10 years now and I was surprised to see him mentioned without cvs2. I forget if he loved or really hated that game though.. I think it went back and forth.

Karsticles said:
I agree with all of this, except for best flight mode - I haven't seen her do anything crazy with flight compared to what Magneto, etc. can do.

Her flight isn't really used to extend combos. I meant she has the best flight mode because she flies INSTANTLY and then can zone with those stupid TK shots. But yes, in your sense, for combo extension, Magneto is the best one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Also how many tournaments have been won using the dhc glitch. *waits... hears crickets* oh ok.

God's Beard said:
Doom has the best overall flight because he uses a jetpack.

No it's cause he runs a candy factory!
Someone should photoshop a pic of doom with a bag of M&M's

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
To be fair, Justin Wong could probably win a tournament with anything.
And what does that tell you? :p That it's not needed to win, some teams can't do it and some of those very teams that can't are strong as hell with out it still.

QisTopTier said:
And what does that tell you? :p That it's not needed to win, some teams can't do it and some of those very teams that can't are strong as hell with out it still.
Huh? I never said the DHC glitch was broken. Damage is too high for pretty much anything in this game to matter all that much. Now, if they doubled all the character's health bars, we'd see what was broken pretty quick.

Her flight isn't really used to extend combos. I meant she has the best flight mode because she flies INSTANTLY and then can zone with those stupid TK shots. But yes, in your sense, for combo extension, Magneto is the best one.
Oh, does her flight have no startup time? If so, that's pretty neat. At least she can't cancel her specials like Morrigan's, haha.

Also how many tournaments have been won using the dhc glitch. *waits... hears crickets* oh ok.
Just to cross-reference this so I am not being had, you are Deox? Normally I wouldn't check, but you always capitalize and punctuate your sentences on GAF. :p

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:

Specificaly using it ? How do you determine that, it's not like a specific thing used to win tournies... it just makes strong characters that much stronger which is bullshit. Other than the shehulk team, I'm pretty sure most of the teams that have been winning consistantly are characters that have access to it.

QisTopTier said:

No it's cause he runs a candy factory!
Someone should photoshop a pic of doom with a bag of M&M's

-sourpatch.gif

tumblr_lj3qmdkvtl1qdr5az.jpg

QisTopTier said:
Also how many tournaments have been won using the dhc glitch. *waits... hears crickets* oh ok

What does that even mean? Like specifically for the last hit for the kill in a match to win last game? Used it once in a finals match? Only used in pools?

What is a threshold for "using" something.

Ferrio

Banned
After watching last night's stream... I'm thinking the best current team could possibly be:

Mags/Wesker/Pheonix.

I wanna see wong roll it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
Just to cross-reference this so I am not being had, you are Deox? Normally I wouldn't check, but you always capitalize and punctuate your sentences on GAF. :p

Yes, I tend to not give a shit when I post there.

Karsticles said:
Oh, does her flight have no startup time? If so, that's pretty neat. At least she can't cancel her specials like Morrigan's, haha.

I don't know about no startup time, but trying out other characters then trying her out, she seems to be flying almost instantly. Haven't really tested her out fully because half way through, I realized how stressful it is to have her on my team.

hitsugi

wong does use the DHC glitch though... May not be the determining factor in winning but we've seen it many times from him.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Okay this is fishy as hell. Just played someone with 29 wins - 0 loss with a 9 game win streak. I guess there's an off chance of a draw but I really doubt it. Wolverine/Ryu/Sent team with tons of lag to boot.

Ferrio

Banned
Nils said:
Okay this is fishy as hell. Just played someone with 29 wins - 0 loss with a 9 game win streak. I guess there's an off chance of a draw but I really doubt it. Wolverine/Ryu/Sent team with tons of lag to boot.

Was that the numbers you saw before or after the fight? They'll mess up before the fight sometimes, correct ones show after.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:
Was that the numbers you saw before or after the fight? They'll mess up before the fight sometimes, correct ones show after.

After as well. I checked.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I swear the matchmaking is trolling the hell out of me. Every time I'm an inch away from 8th Lord it throws nothing but 5th Lords my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom