• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Negaduck

I'd be really stoked if we got jedah/loki as the next reveal

I think the next reveal will be a pair of villains. We have all heroes so far.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'd be really stoked if we got jedah/loki as the next reveal

I think the next reveal will be a pair of villains. We have all heroes so far.

Isnt Morri a villain originally?

I really wish I could've been the fly on the wall listening to Combofiend talk to Yipes and Champ the other night. I bet there was a lot of Infinite information in the air.

Neoxon

I wouldn't be so confident, especially with Rashid.
Why's that? As mentioned earlier, Rashid was basically the break-out character of SFV. I mean sure, you could make an argument for Necalli. But of the two, Rashid would translate better to Mahvel.

As for Ms. Marvel, I'd be legitimately shocked if she wasn't in the base roster.

Negaduck

Ended up watching civil war again this weekend.

Yo give me winter soldier. I'd be alright with winter soldier being the new cable. (pls cable)

Neoxon

I doubt Ms. Marvel will be in this.
What makes you say that? Ms. Marvel has been Marvel's break-out character in the last few years, is entirely unique, & is an overall great character. Given Marvel's recent push for her character in more forms of media, it'd be surprising if she wasn't in on Day 1.

As mentioned earlier, Ms. Marvel is almost as safe of a bet as Black Panther as far as Marvel newcomers go.

opricnik

Banned
What makes you say that? Ms. Marvel has been Marvel's break-out character in the last few years, is entirely unique, & is an overall great character. Given Marvel's recent push for her character in more forms of media, it'd be surprising if she wasn't in on Day 1.

I found her powers not-too much fitting for FG.She is hybrid of Mr Fantastic/ Captain Marvel and bunch of other moves from heroes. I dont know , i dont think she is too much popular to be in base roster. If both sides has 15 character at launch i can see Widow,Witch,Captain Marvel,Guardians Girl,SheHulk/Squirrel/ etc more likely.

J-Tier

I doubt Ms. Marvel will be in this.
She could be. She's had the biggest marketing push of all the newer Marvel comic characters, is the most popular of the legacy characters, and is currently leading a team (The Champions). They're definitely going to include a newer character--and of them all, Ms. Marvel is the most likely.

There's a chance she'll be omitted, however I doubt any of the other characters--besides maybe Miles Morales or Gwenpool--will get a spot.

Neoxon

I found her powers not-too much fitting for FG.She is hybrid of Mr Fantastic/ Captain Marvel and bunch of other moves from heroes. I dont know , i dont think she is too much popular to be in base roster. If both sides has 15 character at launch i can see Widow,Witch,Captain Marvel,Guardians Girl,SheHulk/Squirrel/ etc more likely.
As mentioned before, Scarlet Witch probably won't be in the base roster due to the whole Fox situation (unfortunately). Like Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch's movie rights are shared with Fox, & Marvel has done a bit of a "Both of them or none of them" thing concerning the recent ban (I.E. they've been left out of almost everything except Lego Avengers). Not even Avalanche was able to get the Maximoffs for Disney Infinity 3.0, which is a bit shocking considering that they were working directly with Disney. I'd also peg Ms. Marvel as a higher priority to Marvel than She-Hulk, Gamora, Squirrel Girl given Kamala's recent push. And as mentioned by J-Tier, Ms. Marvel is now the leader of the Champions, Marvel's newest premier teenage super-hero team. Also, there's tons of Guardians girls. Gamora, Nebula, & soon Mantis to name a few as far as the MCU is concerned.

Concerning Ms. Marvel's power-set, she doesn't really have anything in common with Captain Marvel.

opricnik

Banned
Scarlet Witch probably won't be in the base roster due to the whole Fox situation. Like Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch's rights are shared with Fox, & Marvel has done a bit of a "Both of them or none of them" thing concerning the recent ban (I.E. they've been left out of almost everything except Lego Avengers). I'd also peg Ms. Marvel as a higher priority to Marvel than She-Hulk & Squirrel Girl given Kamala's recent push. And as mentioned by J-Tier, Ms. Marvel is now the leader of the Champions, Marvel's newest premier teenage super-hero team.

I dont think this ban stuff is serious as you think. They wont left their second superhero(or first if widow as agent) left be in game ,with her unique powers to replace Phoenix.

Quicksilver was never gonna be in though ban or not. Killing him already showed that they werent going to be serious about him anyway. Just a pilot device for Witch.

If Deadpool isnt in i may see Gwenpool though.

gotta get that Pool money somehow

Neoxon

I dont think this ban stuff is serious as you think. They wont left their second superhero(or first if widow as agent) left be in game ,with her unique powers to replace Phoenix.

Quicksilver was never gonna be in though ban or not. Killing him already showed that they werent going to be serious about him anyway. Just a pilot device for Witch.

If Deadpool isnt in i may see Gwenpool though.

gotta get that Pool money somehow
Scarlet Witch has (sadly) already been left out of pretty much every post-Contest of Champions game that Marvel put out. So yeah, Wanda has been just as impacted by the ban as Pietro or any of the other Fox-related characters. Notice how the one post-CoC game that had either Maximoff, Lego Avengers, had both of them & was directly linked to the movies in terms of the story (they re-told the story of certain MCU films, AoU included). Hell, even Wiccan got in Marvel Future Fight over Wanda, which is insanely weird. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or both of the Twins as DLC.

As for Deadpool, I can only see Gwenpool getting in if (assuming Ryce's sources are on the money) Capcom didn't think that they could get Marvel to allow Fox characters as DLC at the time of the initial roster selection. If there was a ghost of a chance back then for Marvel to change their mind, Capcom likely would have held back on pushing for Gwenpool.

opricnik

Banned
Scarlet Witch has (sadly) already been left out of pretty much every post-Contest of Champions game that Marvel put out. So yeah, Wanda has been just as impacted by the ban as Pietro or any of the other Fox-related characters. Notice how the one post-CoC game that had either Maximoff, Lego Avengers, had both of them & was directly linked to the movies in terms of the story (they re-told the story of certain MCU films, AoU included). Hell, even Wiccan got in Marvel Future Fight over Wanda, which is insanely weird. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or both of the Twins as DLC.

As for Deadpool, I can only see Gwenpool getting in if (assuming Ryce's sources are on the money) Capcom didn't think that they could get Marvel to allow Fox characters as DLC at the time of the initial roster selection. If there was a ghost of a chance back then for Marvel to change their mind, Capcom likely would have held back on pushing for Gwenpool.

Thats interesting news, as i said i think like lego Avengers they will have rights for twins. I dont think mobile devs have same priority for Disney/Marvel as a big million project does. I mean mobile games are made lot less budget for kids to embrace their new chars like Ms.Marvel,Quake,Black iron man girl(cant remember name),miles morales etc...

But when you talk about a 20 yr old series with a million dollar new game your priority is $$ not to ban who you want.

Thats just me though maybe im totally wrong.I would love Deadpool/Wolverine/Doom dlc but news said(?rumours?) they are gonna make X-men vs SF dlc instead(bad news for capcom side already). Neither doom or pool counts that way(if they count pool as xmen then it works)

Neoxon

Thats interesting news, as i said i think like lego Avengers they will have rights for twins. I dont think mobile devs have same priority for Disney/Marvel as a big million project does. I mean mobile games are made lot less budget for kids to embrace their new chars like Ms.Marvel,Quake,Black iron man girl(cant remember name),miles morales etc...

But when you talk about a 20 yr old series with a million dollar new game your priority is $$ not to ban who you want.

Thats just me though maybe im totally wrong.I would love Deadpool/Wolverine/Doom dlc but news said(?rumours?) they are gonna make X-men vs SF dlc instead(bad news for capcom side already). Neither doom or pool counts that way(if they count pool as xmen then it works)
The "Iron Man Girl" you're referring to is likely Riri Williams, also known as Ironheart.

That being said, the fact that the Lego games had to go to Lego Avengers rather than Lego Marvel 2 is pretty telling about how the ban is impacting all of Marvel Games. At the end of the day, Marvel has the final say on who gets in the base roster.

PSqueak

Banned
Isnt Morri a villain originally?

Well, it's hard to pin her, unless you want to say so cause she's a succubus, i guess she is, but in DS lore she's just a noble and she has a rivalry with Dimitri as he is the head of a rival noble house, she's more an unaligned character as opposed to good aligned characters like Talbain, Felicia and Sasquatch and evil aligned characters like Pyron, BB Hood and Lord Raptor.

Until I see evidence of non mcu characters I'm going to firmly believe the base roster will almost entierly be made up of the mcu and planned phase 4 characters.

Neoxon

Until I see evidence of non mcu characters I'm going to firmly believe the base roster will almost entierly be made up of the mcu and planned phase 4 characters.
While I mostly agree, I'm of the belief that Ms. Marvel will be at least the sole exception to that (though I could see us getting one more comic character). She's basically the home-run of Marvel's diversity legacy initiative (hell, she was the one who kicked it off). Leaving Ms. Marvel out of the base roster would be a huge missed opportunity for Marvel considering her vast appeal & her widespread popularity. Aside from her, I'm mostly expecting MCU characters (movie & TV alike) for the base roster.

Neoxon

I just hope the X-Men ban doesn't hurt the reception of this game. That would suck and Capcom doesn't need that right about now.
It seems like more people are rightfully blaming Marvel than I expected. That being said, while the lack of X-Men & Fantastic Four (at least on Day 1) will impact sales to some degree, I'm not sure if it'll significantly hurt the game's potential profits.

If I recall, Disney Infinity 2.0 was docked a few points in some reviews for leaving out the X-Men. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case for MvCI for some critics.

While I mostly agree, I'm of the belief that Ms. Marvel will be at least the sole exception to that (though I could see us getting one more comic character). She's basically the home-run of Marvel's diversity legacy initiative (hell, she was the one who kicked it off). Leaving Ms. Marvel out of the base roster would be a huge missed opportunity for Marvel considering her vast appeal & her widespread popularity. Aside from her, I'm mostly expecting MCU characters (movie & TV alike) for the base roster.

I think if she gets in it'll be as dlc, there aren't enough spots in a 16-18 per side roster for all the current and upcoming mcu characters and when I look down the mcu roster I have a hard time seeing who they cut for a non movie character. She'd work good as an advertisement dlc for long term mcu plans and would be popular enough to get the core base to spend money on her.

Neoxon

I think if she gets in it'll be as dlc, there aren't enough spots in a 16-18 per side roster for all the current and upcoming mcu characters and when I look down the mcu roster I have a hard time seeing who they cut for a non movie character. She'd work good as an advertisement dlc for long term mcu plans and would be popular enough to get the core base to spend money on her.
Not every movie character is of the upmost priority. If we assume that there's 16 per side, that'd leave Marvel with...
  1. Iron Man
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Captain America
  4. Hulk
  5. Thor
  6. Black Widow
  7. Hawkeye
  8. Loki
  9. Black Panther
  10. Spider-Man
  11. Star-Lord
  12. Rocket Raccoon (w/ Groot assist)
  13. Thanos
  14. Ultron
  15. Ms. Marvel
  16. Daredevil
  17. Ant-Man
  18. Doctor Strange
You'd still cover a lot of bases within the MCU while leaving room to promote Ms. Marvel for a future MCU film or show. She's basically Marvel's golden goose primed for use in the MCU. As such, I fully stand by my prediction of Ms. Marvel being in MvCI's base roster.

It seems like more people are rightfully blaming Marvel than I expected. That being said, while the lack of X-Men & Fantastic Four (at least on Day 1) will impact sales to some degree, I'm not sure if it'll significantly hurt the game's potential profits.

If I recall, Disney Infinity 2.0 was docked a few points in some reviews for leaving out the X-Men. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same for MvCI for some critics.

Well, I hope you're right. As long as the roster and content are there, things will likely be good.

Not every movie character is of the upmost priority. If we assume that there's 16 per side, that'd leave Marvel with...
  1. Iron Man
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Captain America
  4. Hulk
  5. Thor
  6. Black Widow
  7. Hawkeye
  8. Loki
  9. Black Panther
  10. Spider-Man
  11. Star-Lord
  12. Rocket Raccoon (w/ Groot assist)
  13. Thanos
  14. Ultron
  15. Ms. Marvel
  16. Daredevil
  17. Ant-Man
  18. Doctor Strange
You'd still cover a lot of bases within the MCU while leaving room to promote Ms. Marvel for a future MCU film or show. She's basically Marvel's golden goose primed for use in the MCU. As such, I fully stand by my prediction of Ms. Marvel being in MvCI's base roster.

So you think they'd leave out wasp who's getting named in a title? That spiderman would only get 1 character while guardians gets 2? That they'd cut iron fist and dormammu who were in the last game and have a tv show/main movie villain? They aren't going to randomly throw in one non mcu character either were going to see quiet a few in the base roster or it'll be an mcu only base. Perhaps ms marvel and non mcu appear as story mode only characters to tease their potential as future dlc, but I can't see her getting in before mvc3 vets who are more relevant now then they were back then.

Dahbomb

Punisher and Deadpool are much bigger draws than some generic RE male protagonist when it comes to having dudes with guns. Hell even put in Regina over those. RE should get Wesker (based god) and Jill or Tyrant.

opricnik

Banned
I dont think Thanos will playable. He is probably big baddie while Ultron Sigma is sub Boss.

And they probably will add A spidey villain as fan favorite.

Well duh though this is capcom roster may come sonething different none of us can guess. Who thought blackheart,task knight,modok etc

Thanos not being playable in a game like this would be odd.

I see a boss version of Thanos being in the game, but I'm sure there'll be a toned down version that's playable.

Wait... when did Ryce said anything about Gwenpool? I only remember him teasing the character who could be challenging to animate or something among those lines.

Skab

So I've been thinking about Resident Evil representation that could show up in this game.

I joked before about having Jack from RE7 be in the game, but in reality I kind of don't think any of the RE7 characters are very suitable for a fighter. They could make it work, but I feel there would probably be better options.

The more I think about it, the more I want Leon and Birkin to show up.

Theres a lot you could do with Leon. You could pull from his RE4 melee move set, you could give him some MVC2 Jill style zombie stuff, or gun stuff like Chris. Any mix of this could work on him, really.

And depending on how creative they get with play styles in infinite, you could do some really interesting things with Birkin. For example, you could give him a Frank style level up system, with him progressing through his first 3 forms as the match goes on.

Code:
[QUOTE][IMG]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/1/1a/Birkin_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100705185401[/IMG][IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/e/ee/Birkin_2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100705190124[/IMG][IMG]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/9/9d/Birkin_3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100705190000[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I know I'm not the first to suggest these guys, but the more I think about them the more I want them to show up. Plus with REmake 2 on the way, and probably the next Resident Evil well see stuff from, I don't think it's too terribly out of the question.

Seyavesh

increasing my hurtbox size over the course of the match seems like a very poor idea but if it lets me become meat grinder giant wall 4th form birkin then it's worth it

id just prefer if it was wesker, tbh. if they managed to keep how smooth his movement and buttons feel he'd be an instant pick for a lot of folks because he's so versatile thanks to samurai edge and his teleports. in a 1v1 scenario even moreso.

Weiss

Banned
I'm hoping for Leon/Jill/Wesker, but it's probably going to be Chris again.

If the game does actually have a real story mode then there's probably going to be a decent amount of villains for when we get past the "heroes from different universes clash part.

Anyway, if Ultron-Sigma is a thing, then Thanos won't show up.

Neoxon

Wait... when did Ryce said anything about Gwenpool? I only remember him teasing the character who could be challenging to animate or something among those lines.
He never did, I'm just referring to his statements about the Fox crew being DLC later on. If Capcom had hope of Marvel saying yes to that compromise at the time of the base roster's conception, they likely wouldn't have gone along with Gwenpool (unless they can pull an X-23 & set Gwenpool as far apart from Deadpool in moveset as humanly possible).

I'm hoping for Leon/Jill/Wesker, but it's probably going to be Chris again.

If the game does actually have a real story mode then there's probably going to be a decent amount of villains for when we get past the "heroes from different universes clash part.

Anyway, if Ultron-Sigma is a thing, then Thanos won't show up.

I don't think Ultron-Sigma affects Thanos. In a game revolving around Infinity Stones, Thanos not appearing is very unlikely.

Weiss

Banned
I don't think Ultron-Sigma affects Thanos. In a game revolving around Infinity Stones, Thanos not appearing is very unlikely.

What's the point of making a big spectacle of fusing two popular villains, one of whom is an Avengers mainstay and was in the MCU, the other being the main antagonist of Mega Man X, who is stated to have a large role in the storyline, if they're just going to get snubbed for Thanos?

That, and the word is that the heroes are teaming up "to fight a new threat", which Thanos certainly isn't.

Seyavesh

What's the point of making a big spectacle of fusing two popular villains, one of whom is an Avengers mainstay and was in the MCU, the other being the main antagonist of Mega Man X, who is stated to have a large role in the storyline, if they're just going to get snubbed for Thanos?

That, and the word is that the heroes are teaming up "to fight a new threat", which Thanos certainly isn't.

thanos doesn't have to be the end boss, is the thing

he can just be a bit player, like how he was in secret wars

Harpoon

But he's the end boss of the MCU, which is what the game is pushing as well.

So put him in as a playable character. Pushing done. He doesn't need to be the final boss just because of the MCU, I'm sure he'll be the big bad in Square's project and a million other games. An Ultron/Sigma fusion fits a lot better for the crossover game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm thinking we'll probably get info sooner and more frequently than with SFV since this game will more than likely have a much larger roster and is coming out a few months earlier than V did. That said, it's also worth noting we saw 4-6 characters at a time almost every month with MvC3's release schedule, so I'm sure the case with this game will be similar.

I hope so. I'm concerned about which characters would be cut since the numbers would be low in 30s according to someone here. I would wage that we might get between 32-34 characters.

I hope not. I would love to see few characters that aren't in MCU yet, like Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, MODOK, etc.

Thanos can easily be the mid-boss, though.

In Avengers Assemble, Thanos with the Gauntlet was the main enemy for quite awhile. What happened immediately after the Avengers defeated him? Ultron appeared and took the Gauntlet for himself, which made him the new topdog at that point. I know it's just a cartoon, but I my main point is Thanos doesn't need to be the final boss for Sigtron to be the final boss.

Leon is the best choice for an RE character.

IoPfW.gif

Having this work like Felicia or Firebrand's MVC3 supers would be the best.

Top Bottom