• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I got the trophy for reaching 10th rank and still don’t have the one for fighting every character online, amazing.

I have no idea who it could be, Hulk I think?? Really strange.

You can hit up with one of your friend in lobby and ask him to pick potentially missing charaters.

JayEH

Capcom hasn't really screwed up anything this time.

Online works without issues.
Matchmaking/netcode is apparently better than it has ever been on SFV.
It launched feature complete with plenty of single-player options.

Mahvel doesn't deserve half the negativity SFV deservedly got for launching with a broken-ass online mode, fucked up servers, and in a virtual early access state.

Capcom is just a function anyway. Most prefer NRS function.

Jawmuncher

I think a lot of people are happy about it as well.

Pretty sad, but thanks to the many decisions Capcom has made throughout the yrs, people have developed a serious hatred for them.

I still stand with a lot of it isn’t unwarranted. Too much perhaps. But they do really monkey paw a lot of their games even for their most die hard fans.

HardRojo

Mahvel doesn't deserve half the negativity SFV deservedly got for launching with a broken-ass online mode, fucked up servers, and in a virtual early access state.

The game works and it is functional (lol, function), there's no doubt about that, but I'm talking about the product's launch and its longevity in the market, they clearly screwed up there and the numbers tell the story themselves. Maybe not only Capcom, Marvel deserves a huge chunk of the blame too, but you can't tell me Capcom didn't screw up while looking at these (likely) lackluster sales.

Edit: Well, at least the product is already here and I'll be able to enjoy playing it locally and online with the community, so there's that.

NexusCell

I think a lot of people are happy about it as well.

Pretty sad, but thanks to the many decisions Capcom has made throughout the yrs, people have developed a serious hatred for them.

This is just the culmination of years of Capcom's failures.

SFxT started the decline with its garbage DLC practices and gems.

SFV looked good, and people gave them another chance, but they completely fucked up the launch. It's in a decent place now, but lots of casuals got burned HARD.

Now we have MvCi. Coupled with the shitty presentation and lackluster roster, lots of people believe that this failure is well deserved.

(Ironically this is just Capcom's fighting games. They are actually doing mostly fine with their other releases, DR nonwithstanding. RE7 did well and MHW has a lot of hype behind it.)

I still stand with a lot of it isn’t unwarranted. Too much perhaps. But they do really monkey paw a lot of their games even for their most die hard fans.

I think a lot of it is understandable, but I feel like this game also payed for SFV's issues as well. On top of its own issues, a lot of people really seemed to go beyond the norm to hate this game. I'm the type that just tends to move on, though that's not how most people are.

What I want to know is a successful MVC game possible to create with today's Capcom and Marvel? Capcom got the gameplay mechanics down and they're magnificent. Most will agree there. After that comes the other stuff. I feel like the menus, fonts, and other stuff were just atrocious, so that's also on Capcom. The stuff with Itsuno implies that there's a lot of misdirection going on at Capcom. How the hell can they not consult him on Dante's design? There's the roster and artstyle, too.

I've seen a lot of people say Capcom lacks the skill to make good character models, but I can't help but feel the aesthetic in general made things worse. If this artstyle was mostly Marvel's direction, could it have been done in a way to make it look good? Cel shading would've worked wonders.

I'm just trying to understand if Capcom could at least see a lot of this backlash coming.

Jawmuncher

I think a lot of it is understandable, but I feel like this game also payed for SFV's issues as well. On top of its own issues, a lot of people really seemed to go beyond the norm to hate this game. I'm the type that just tends to move on, though that's not how most people are.

What I want to know is a successful MVC game possible to create with today's Capcom and Marvel? Capcom got the gameplay mechanics down and they're magnificent. Most will agree there. After that comes the other stuff. I feel like the menus, fonts, and other stuff were just atrocious, so that's also on Capcom. The stuff with Itsuno implies that there's a lot of misdirection going on at Capcom. How the hell can they not consult him on Dante's design? There's the roster and artstyle, too.

I've seen a lot of people say Capcom lacks the skill to make good character models, but I can't help but feel the aesthetic in general made things worse. If this artstyle was mostly Marvel's direction, could it have been done in a way to make it look good? Cel shading would've worked wonders.

I'm just trying to understand if Capcom could at least see a lot of this backlash coming.

Honestly I think a lot of it is ignorance in a sense. Both SFV at launch and MVC came off as “Were giving the people what they’ve been asking for. They’ll eat it up regardless”. That was kinda the same case with DR4 before launch as well. Capcom really likes to turn on the blinders until they actually crash into something.

Before anyone gets mad I bought every game I listed day one. So I think I have enough room to be critical here. Even with my enjoyment from them.

JayEH

I don't what art style was forced upon them some of the models look amateur.

Spencer comes from a game with a realistic art style and he looks the worse!

Honestly I think a lot of it is ignorance in a sense. Both SFV at launch and MVC came off as “Were giving the people what they’ve been asking for. They’ll eat it up regardless”. That was kinda the same case with DR4 before launch as well. Capcom really likes to turn on the blinders until they actually crash into something.

Before anyone gets mad I bought every game I listed day one. So I think I have enough room to be critical here. Even with my enjoyment from them.

That's the gist I've gotten as well. With the way they kept on harping on and on about the cinematic story, it seemed like they thought this was the magic pill to MVCI's success. I think I even recall a Marvel Games guy (Mike Jones) say the roster size isn't that important, or the choices aren't everything when you have a system this creative. It was something along those lines at E3.

I'm just indifferent to Capcom nowadays. I don't want them to fail, but I know they're not learning anything from these lackluster releases. I don't get it.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if capcom could make a deal with sony and have the game ship with ps4's for black friday. no better way to have as many of them in peoples hand than that. if they are trying to sell dlc for the future then i hope they try to do this. i'm surprised capcom hasn't made sf5 a free psn plus game for a month either.

NexusCell

I don't what art style was forced upon them some of the models look amateur.

Spencer comes from a game with a realistic art style and he looks the worse!

Honestly I would put it less on art style (though it is fucking bland as hell) and more on modelers. They probably hired cheap model companies to create the returning characters, which is why some of the veterans look like garbage. That would be alright if they didn't feature them so prominently that they became memes. Only after Chun Li's face became the "face" of the game did they bother fixing it since it game them bad press.

wonder if capcom could make a deal with sony and have the game ship with ps4's for black friday. no better way to have as many of them in peoples hand than that. if they are trying to sell dlc for the future then i hope they try to do this. i'm surprised capcom hasn't made sf5 a free psn plus game for a month either.

Sony trying to sell consoles too you know.

BadWolf

Seems like the norm for Capcom.

The DmC dev from Ninja Theory that spoke at length with gaffers in a thread said that the same thing happened during DmC development and all the bad PR that that game got.

Capcom pretty much ignored all the complaints and saw them as nothing, they thought the game would sell regardless.

JayEH

Honestly I would put it less on art style (though it is fucking bland as hell) and more on modelers. They probably hired cheap model companies to create the returning characters, which is why some of the veterans look like garbage. That would be alright if they didn't feature them so prominently that they became memes. Only after Chun Li's face became the "face" of the game did they bother fixing it since it game them bad press.

Yeah that seems to be exactly what happened with the modelers and with chun's face (lesser extent Dante). Nobody cared about spencer enough to complain LOL.

Neonep

As far as the launch is concerned everything was good. Online is orders of magnitude better than SFV and actually has good single player stuff. The problem with the game is presentation and roster.

I don't understand being disappointed in a fighting game that isn't a total mess like SFxTekken or just broken in online.

They have basically limitless replay value if you enjoy the games played system and have players to compete against.

If you don't like the gameplay system the graphics or menus or story mode being better won't make a difference.

I thought injustice 2 was an incredible looking game and the story mode was pretty good but I couldn't stand the neutral game. I still regret dropping $60 on the digital version.

If the problems are presentation and roster, there is nothing Capcom can do about missing xmen characters or which characters marvel would prefer to highlight. That's the reality of working with 2017 marvel/Disney.

The presentation then is the big issue. That presentation would hold people back from a purchase of a game that's otherwise fun seems shallow and like you're missing out.

MrMephistoX

Neither game has the full roster for free. Both average around $40.

Releasing MvCI for free with Ryu, X, Tony, and Carol and then charging $3-5 per additional character would make sense, though.

Oh yeah totally on board $40 is fair for the full game I think my reply got mangled up with another poster suggesting $20...that would be insane. Hell even two free perma characters and a rotating other two would make sense since DOA5 does that I think...? Even if it does sell a million copies I still think F2P is an excellent model for fighters and boosts the online community and stream of content as long as you don't fuck it up with play to win mechanics.

Plus I don't think you'd have as much of the backlash against the UI and other nitpicks.

I'd love to see Cody join just so he gets an install super where he takes off his cuffs and becomes the most broken character in the game.

NexusCell

Yeah that seems to be exactly what happened with the modelers and with chun's face (lesser extent Dante). Nobody cared about spencer enough to complain LOL.

If you look at what was actually fixed, it was basically Chun Li's face in both the verses and cinematics (aka what got it a lot of negative attention) alongside Dante's face in the victory screen (Coke/Methhead Dante, became PDP's avatar). That's it. They didn't even bother to replace Dante's model in the story mode since he still looks grimy as fuck there because nobody was talking about it (and they didn't really show it much).

Also yeah, no one other then Combofiend give's a shit about spencer.

Character I want most of all is asura. There's a ton of possibility there.

Also Phoenix wright could work amazing in this system, with instant tag and less assists to worry about.

I'd also like to see more classic Capcom characters from the 80s arcade games. Maybe the forgotten worlds soldier? Lol

I don't understand being disappointed in a fighting game that isn't a total mess like SFxTekken or just broken in online.

They have basically limitless replay value if you enjoy the games played system and have players to compete against.

If you don't like the gameplay system the graphics or menus or story mode being better won't make a difference.

I thought injustice 2 was an incredible looking game and the story mode was pretty good but I couldn't stand the neutral game. I still regret dropping $60 on the digital version.

If the problems are presentation and roster, there is nothing Capcom can do about missing xmen characters or which characters marvel would prefer to highlight. That's the reality of working with 2017 marvel/Disney.

The presentation then is the big issue. That presentation would hold people back from a purchase of a game that's otherwise fun seems shallow and like you're missing out.

Man look people care about the presentation, people care about the roster, people care about a lot of shit. Just because the gameplay is decent doesn't mean they can drop the ball on everything else. If they don't feel the gameplay is fun enough to overlook the fact the faults thats their decision.

What games have HUD's that people like looking at? I like Revelator's HUD.

I think the HUD in MVCI is just...whatever. I don't like it, but I don't really care enough to focus on it.

JayEH

No way, UMVC3 had enough DMC reps for a lifetime.

scust.png

Top Bottom