• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

guek

Banned
I dunno, I've been slowly making my way through this show and I've worked up to episode 13 (still haven't watched it), and aside from a somewhat unfocused narrative, I've enjoyed every episode so far. There aren't any big stinkers for me on this first watch and a lot fewer awkward scenes to kill the pacing like in season 1 (that Foggy/Karen not-date was horrible). The action is consistently engaging, though with fewer moments that pop like in season 1. Frank's story has been great, though it does fizzle a bit once he
gets out of prison
. The Hand has been weaker but I'm still on board and I still really like Elektra and her history with
Stick.

Seeing as how my biggest complaint is a lack of a strong connecting thread between all the narratives, I can picture the finale being disappointing. The season as a whole though has been as good as season 1, albeit with lower highs but higher lows.

Dennis

Banned
Just watched Episode 3 and holy shit that was great.

Obviously the
fight scene at the end
but not only that, the whole episode was just great. Dat ending shot with Karen and the
Punisher X-ray image

thenexus6

Just finished it. It was good I guess.. The Punisher stuff was awesome but the Electra stuff was not. I felt alot of the fight scenes in this season were lackluster. Something about the way they looked / were filmed.

Finally got around to watching this. Overrall, I enjoyed it and think it's the best season of the best season of the Netlfix shows yet. However I still feel very underwhelmed by the Netflix shows so far. I haven't really loved any of them and just felt they were all just "ok". They all suffer from the same issue where at 13 episodes that are an hour each they all feel way too bloated and have way too much filler. I feel if this was condensed into 10 episodes it would've been a lot more enjoyable. The Punisher and Elektra were both fantastic though and Foggy's and Karen's subplots weren't that bad. The first 4 episodes were amazing but all the stuff with the hand was really lame, the ninjas got old quick, and a throw away villain from S1 ended up being the big bad? Seriously? It was cool seeing the Kingpin again as I didn't really expect to see him so soon though.

maxcriden

Just caught the first ep and I was pretty bored throughout. I was kinda moderate and miss on the first season and thought Jessica Jones was better but not great. Ah, so I'm kinda wondering if others felt the same and if the season gets much better after this first ep. I didn't think much of the generic gangster characters. As to Punisher,
will it be explained why he shoots indiscriminately in the hospital hallway?
I thought the character cared more about only targeting criminals and protecting innocents.

eastx

As to Punisher,
will it be explained why he shoots indiscriminately in the hospital hallway?
I thought the character cared more about only targeting criminals and protecting innocents.

Yes, that gets explained to some extent. Keep in mind how many people were actually hit during that scene.

maxcriden

Yes, that gets explained to some extent. Keep in mind how many people were actually hit during that scene.

Understood. I did think of that but it still didn't make sense to me. I don't think I'm going to continue watching anyway, so if you wouldn't mind spoiler-tagging the show's explanation I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Understood. I did think of that but it still didn't make sense to me. I don't think I'm going to continue watching anyway, so if you wouldn't mind spoiler-tagging the show's explanation I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Frank in a later scene implies that he's such a good marksman that he missed on purpose and Karen was never in any danger.

BTW, spoiler tags are unescesary now.

Parch

Good season, but not sure how they move on without Punisher being a central part of the show. At this point he needs his own series, but what possible storyline could Daredevil bring on that can match what Punisher brought to this season?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished.

I loved it. Cannot wait for the born again storyline in s3 and the appearance of Bullseye.

Speely

Banned
I feel that DD as a show should stray into more crossover material via Jess Jones and focus on the legal aspects of the story and how disparate elements intertwine. I say that because just focusing on the action and general badassery will squander what the character has to contribute in that fashion very quickly. Build up to Matt being forced to act a bit more and the action will A) have relevance (not that it didn't in s1-2, but going forward it could lose momentum) and B) let the showrunners focus on better and fewer action sequences. Gimme 2-3 hallway/stairwell scenes per season and cut the damn rest imo. No one cares about filler action, and reserving it for the big guns just lends it more weight. It's not like all the elements for a good legal drama aren't there already, and they could totally carry some number of episodes that way.

S2 was great, btw. Sorta disappointed with Electra and her arc, but I get it I suppose. Still the best hero show currently airing. So good.

That punisher man. Dude is like a fuckong tank, he dont stop. I liked that ending. I wasn't ok with Electra being offed but, it was strong. Frank fully becoming punisher and Matt spill the beans.

Just finished season 2.

That punisher man. Dude is like a fuckong tank, he dont stop. I liked that ending. I wasn't ok with Electra being offed but, it was strong. Frank fully becoming punisher and Matt spill the beans.
Yeah, dude was definitely my highlight, his crazy personality between killing 10 dudes in the prison and crying for his family, really liked him (also in combination with Daredevil).

All in all, season 2 was great, but a few things that I didn't liked:

- Too much storylines, should've focused on The Punisher
- Fighting scenes where somewhat strange (not good) in a lot of scenes, don't know why this happened
- The Hand storyline was half-assed (see point one)
- Other plot-points that are kind of meh (most in regard to The Hand)

But I enjoy these Netflix Marvel series, really digged Jessica Jones too boot, so I was happy to see some cross-references at the end of Daredevil. ^^

Looking forward to Luke Cage now. ;)

Tosyn_88

Expectations for this season was high to be honest. I think the elektra plot wasn't handled with enough care. Because it's when she arrives, everything begins to get too fast and rushed but it's still a great show and I commend them for the job well done

Beepos

This would of been so much better as 8 episodes or so. The final arc almost ruined this for me.. I was soooo bored. The first half was fantastic though and the tension with The Punisher was amazing until it all fizzled out and undid the greatness..

- J - D -

Just finished this earlier tonight. This season really fizzled out 2/3 of the way through. I watched the first 7 or so episodes the first couple of weeks the season was out, and then it took me a month and change to finish the rest, it was so disengaging.

The moment they bring in the subplot involving Elektra and a specific villainous group and their machinations, I got really bored. None of that stuff is particularly good, I think mainly because the bad guys are just not interesting in the least. Doesn't help that the fight scenes became less creative as the season went on. Save for the final fight in ep13 (because I just watched it), I couldn't remember one single fight after the big stairwell fight in ep 3. After that episode, all of it lacked, I dunno, impact? "Oomph"? Yeah.

Anyway, final thoughts:
+ John Bernthal's Punisher. Great performance and interesting rendition of the character.
+ Less Foggy, even though I liked his big moment during the trial
+ Elektra is mostly good.
? Karen's subplot was okay, I guess. Progressed the Punisher stuff pretty well, but it's all very dry background work.
- Not enough Rosario
- The Hand and all of that stuff is boring as hell
- Sloppy, limp fights after the first 1/3 of the season

HotHamBoy

Just watch the first ep of this season last night. Yeah, i dunno.... i never really liked any of the characters in this show and that episode just reminded me of why I waited this long to check out this season.

I think i'll pass, Hulu got dat Criterion collection...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just watch the first ep of this season last night. Yeah, i dunno.... i never really liked any of the characters in this show and that episode just reminded me of why I waited this long to check out this season.

I think i'll pass, Hulu got dat Criterion collection...

M8rezln.gif

Sober

I just noticed in the OP that Daredevil is the one character in the poster who is standing, his ass facing towards the front.

Marvel blew it.

Up to episode 6.

Of course they had to go down the matt x karen love story road. Liked they avoided that is s1.

Dat Elektra tho.

Liking this season so far but nothing as standard out as parts of s1 yet. It's ok. Miles better then JJ though

lt519

Ugh 11-13 was pure garbage. I love this show but the story was perfectly fine being about Hell's Kitchen and nothing larger. I could just give two shits about Stick, The Hand, and all this mythical shit. I love the Marvel universe but ugh not interested.

The Punisher and Blacksmith story line could have been so much better if they just decided to spend the last few episodes on that.

Still 100x better than JJ though.

icespide

Banned
is every season of daredevil going to be 12 episodes of gritty realism followed by one episode of contrived scenes of characters getting their super hero costumes?

jond76

Banned
I'm not quite finished yet, but the highlight of this season so far for me has been Matt's reaction to Frank: "Boo-hoo. We've all lost people. What makes you special?"

That whole rooftop exchange was fantastic verbal sparring. I loved it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That ending monologue was perfect. Gave me chills. Netflix treats Marvel properties better than Marvel, if you ask me.

That ending monologue was awful. If it were just narration for the sake of the show's viewers it would be OK, but it was the beginning of her story about Frank Castle, and in that context, it was pure, creamy shit. She rambled for paragraphs upon paragraphs about looking in mirrors and the reader seeing himself as a hero without ever giving us the nut graf -- the paragraph that tells us the point of the whole piece. No one will read however far it would have been to get to that nut graf, they'll drop it and move onto the next story on the page that tells you what it's about in a timely fashion.

Hell, her editor probably wouldn't let anything resembling her monogue make it into the paper. He'd tell her it's shit and have her rewrite. I liked his character, BTW, he was written and acted as a somewhat characatured but fairly realistic portrayal of a cynical, competent reporter.

Rymuth

Finished. I'm gonna miss binging on this show. Already starting to feel withdrawals.

I'm supremely disappointed The Punisher
didn't do shit in the finale. I figured he'd mow down the Ninjas with that mini-gun but nope! He fires a few shots and fucks off. Siiiiigh.

KonradLaw

Finished. I'm gonna miss binging on this show. Already starting to feel withdrawals.

I'm supremely disappointed The Punisher
didn't do shit in the finale. I figured he'd mow down the Ninjas with that mini-gun but nope! He fires a few shots and fucks off. Siiiiigh.

Yeah, was that scene cut? I mean...there's like shitload of ninjas running on the roof, but then hardly any during the actual fight. And the way camer kept focusing on mini gun in the shed seemed like they were setting up bloodbath.

Rymuth

Yeah, was that scene cut? I mean...there's like shitload of ninjas running on the roof, but then hardly any during the actual fight. And the way camer kept focusing on mini gun in the shed seemed like they were setting up bloodbath.
Wanna know the bigger WTF?

When he was walking out of his house during the voiceover, he's carrying the minigun!

What gives? Chekhov's minigun...

Finally got around to this and binged it over a few days.

Season started off absolutely fantastic with the Punisher stuff, but then dove off a cliff at ep 5 when it started with all the Elektra and Hand stuff.

There were some good scenes sprinkled throughout (almost entirely the ones with Punisher), but there was way too much boring stuff going on, every scene with Stick made me reflexively pull out my phone from boredom...

Klocker

Finally got around to this and binged it over a few days.

Season started off absolutely fantastic with the Punisher stuff, but then dove off a cliff at ep 5 when it started with all the Elektra and Hand stuff.

There were some good scenes sprinkled throughout (almost entirely the ones with Punisher), but there was way too much boring stuff going on, every scene with Stick made me reflexively pull out my phone from boredom...

Feel exactly the same way. Not nearly as good as season one. Boring and unbelievable stories and character interaction.

Punisher was best thing about it and that was too few and far between with all the sappy, emotional, irrational bullshit in the way...

Just started watching this, so far on episode 4 or 5.

The Punisher is depicted amazingly well, and I am so shocked by how much gore they showed. They can do Marvel Max Punisher no problem, give him his own show, adapt a couple things like his vietnam origin being like he said in episode 3(Iraq/Afghanistan) where he tied Daredevil up. So they could do Born(based in Afghanistan and Iraq instead of Vietnam), and then do some stuff based on the Ennis run of Marvel Max(1-64, hopefully we get the slavers on The Punishers own show) Man, they will never do Barracuda and I have accepted that.

dankir

Just finished Season 2... HOLY SHIT, now that's what I call great television.

Going to start Jessica Jones now, Marvel am gods.

and man oh man Deborah Woll is just delicious.

Top Bottom