• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Sanjuro

Captain America step kicking a man hard enough to deform a steel oil drum and looking good while doing it is OK though.

Captain America's narrative revolves around huge set action pieces and taking on an endless onslaught of foot soldiers.

Luke Cage works at a barbershop and interacts with people in his neighborhood.

Yeah it doesn't bother me really that the Luke Cage fights aren't these big crazy fight scenes. Him flicking dudes off him like nothing cracks me up.

In order to get an intense serious fight with him he would have to be going up against another super powered being. We might see something like that in Defenders

BLACKLAC

The fights could be more inventive, I was personally hoping to see bullets ricochet off Luke's face.

Trying to compare it to the Protector is a low blow tho.

BLACKLAC

Captain America has no qualms about hurting or killing people.

I seen Captain America kill a kid

Cap is also a fucking murderer

These are also important. Luke is trying to hurt people / stop them.

Cap has no issues just straight up killing somebody

Cap is a fucking beast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8l6J_H38g&list=PL3t6ToE_EmAsSbh37ZQf1fG3mHUlnn56U&index=2

I'D RATHER LOOK UP TO LUKE CAGE THAN TO A WAR CRIMINAL
QfiwGHW.gif

TheFlow

Banned
I remember several scenes in winter soldier and civil war where I outright said " cap just killed that dude"

He is too strong to be punching these dudes like that.

Edit: winter soldier and cap are still weaker than luke though which is scary.

Captain America step kicking a man hard enough to deform a steel oil drum and looking good while doing it is OK though.

I wrote a whole post about Murder Cap.

-----

I mean, the entire opening scene for the Winter Soldier is Cap straight up murdering a number of dudes.

Let's take a look at the replay.

1. Choke hold. Nice Guy Cap.

2. Hit in the chest by shield. Broken sternum, collapsed lungs? Dead or dying.

3. Hit in the gut or crotch by the shield. Severe internal bleeding. Passed right out. Probably dead.

3. Kicked! Definitely a broken spine, thrown off the ship. Likely dead.

4. Punched! You get to live.

5. Kicked! You get to live.

6. Thrown offboard at sea. Slow, slow death at best.

7. Punched.

8. Kicked. Also guy #10, stabbed through the hand and then kicked in the face so hard he's knocked out. Concussion?

9. Jujitsu takedown.

11. Shield face first. Many teeth gone, probably a broken jaw. Assuming Cap didn't shake his brain around his skull, this guy gets to live!

12. Kicked by Cap in the gut. Boot isn't as hard as shield. Huzzah restraint!

13 & 14. These two take the shield to the gut and face. I'm going to say they survived.

15. Cap does a goddamn piroutte to throw the shield hard enough to hit this dude in the chest and bounce back to him. Reasonably sure he's dead.

16. Two knees to the head. Concussion. Maybe alive!

17. Jujitsu takedown!
18. Shield face first. Severe blunt force trauma. Probably a concussion. Maybe dead.

That's six dudes that are dead. Possibly more depending on how hard Cap punched or kicked them and that's being generous.

Hold up Im confused.

How is a dude doing martial arts gonna hit harder than a bullet? Luke just needs to tap these street level thugs and they get knocked the fuck out.

You all want Luke pulling some Bruce Lee intro before he bitch slaps somebody? Actually Come to think of it that would have been funny.

BLACKLAC

I luuuv MCU Cap (at least when the Russos are in charge). I still think my favorite moment is Falcon dropping him and him smashing a dude into a jeep. I'm pretty sure I let out an audible "Got damn" when I first saw the clip

How his fighting evolves over the years is pretty damn great attention to detail.

TheFlow

Banned

-----

I mean, the entire opening scene for the Winter Soldier is Cap straight up murdering a number of dudes.

Let's take a look at the replay.

1. Choke hold. Nice Guy Cap.

2. Hit in the chest by shield. Broken sternum, collapsed lungs? Dead or dying.

3. Hit in the gut or crotch by the shield. Severe internal bleeding. Passed right out. Probably dead.

3. Kicked! Definitely a broken spine, thrown off the ship. Likely dead.

4. Punched! You get to live.

5. Kicked! You get to live.

6. Thrown offboard at sea. Slow, slow death at best.

7. Punched.

8. Kicked. Also guy #10, stabbed through the hand and then kicked in the face so hard he's knocked out. Concussion?

9. Jujitsu takedown.

11. Shield face first. Many teeth gone, probably a broken jaw. Assuming Cap didn't shake his brain around his skull, this guy gets to live!

12. Kicked by Cap in the gut. Boot isn't as hard as shield. Huzzah restraint!

13 & 14. These two take the shield to the gut and face. I'm going to say they survived.

15. Cap does a goddamn piroutte to throw the shield hard enough to hit this dude in the chest and bounce back to him. Reasonably sure he's dead.

16. Two knees to the head. Concussion. Maybe alive!

17. Jujitsu takedown!

18. Shield face first. Severe blunt force trauma. Probably a concussion. Maybe dead.

That's six dudes that are dead. Possibly more depending on how hard Cap punched or kicked them and that's being generous.
Wtf! Damn I forgot how bad it got.

guek

Banned
This is getting into what I was talking about the other day when I said Luke Cage isn't a straightforward superhero show/movie as we've come to understand the genre. There's legitimacy to the criticism that the fights in this show could have been more exciting. However, I don't think they're outright bad like some people are saying and, more importantly, they're not at all the focus of the show. The enjoyment people get out of the show is going to be more dependent on other aspects.

TheFlow

Banned
This is getting into what I was talking about the other day when I said Luke Cage isn't a straightforward superhero show/movie as we've come to understand the genre. There's legitimacy to the criticism that the fights in this show could have been more exciting. However, I don't think they're outright bad like some people are saying and, more importantly, they're not at all the focus of the show. The enjoyment people get out of the show is going to be more dependent on other aspects.
True.

The Kree

Banned

I remember that post. Look at this shot of Falcon in Civil War.

SPzx3mX.gif

The thrust of his wing suit gave him enough power to send a guy flying ten feet into a wall with a kick. Is the guy dead? Probably not. Does Falcon look good while doing it. Yes. That's all I'm saying. Show power and look good at the same time. I'm not asking for ornate martial arts poses and flips and spins. But an exaggerated motion here or there and some creative camera work would go a long way. As it is, everything is very dull looking. That's the opposite of what I expect from a superhero show. I don't watch this shit for realism and appropriateness. I'm here for spectacle. Not really trying to hear any arguments about consistency and logic in this universe when Cap never cuts anyone in half as hard as he throws that fucking shield.

Not really trying to hear any arguments about consistency and logic in this universe when Cap never cuts anyone in half as hard as he throws that fucking shield.

Pretty sure they realize that and don't care considering Spiderman basically called out Cap on his shield ignoring physics. Also it's clear the movies and Netflix shows follow a different set of "rules"

SPzx3mX.gif

The thrust of his wing suit gave him enough power to send a guy flying ten feet into a wall with a kick. Is the guy dead? Probably not. Does Falcon look good while doing it. Yes. That's all I'm saying. Show power and look good at the same time. I'm not asking for ornate martial arts poses and flips and spins. But an exaggerated motion here or there and some creative camera work would go a long way. As it is, everything is very dull looking. That's the opposite of what I expect from a superhero show. I don't watch this shit for realism and appropriateness. I'm here for spectacle.
You're watching the wrong shows then. This is a crime thriller/drama first, a "people with superhuman abilities" show second. Daredevil is the only one that's really about a superhero. And even within Daredevil, the Punisher arc sure wasn't a superhero show

Shaanyboi

Banned

SPzx3mX.gif

The thrust of his wing suit gave him enough power to send a guy flying ten feet into a wall with a kick. Is the guy dead? Probably not. Does Falcon look good while doing it. Yes. That's all I'm saying. Show power and look good at the same time. I'm not asking for ornate martial arts poses and flips and spins. But an exaggerated motion here or there and some creative camera work would go a long way. As it is, everything is very dull looking. That's the opposite of what I expect from a superhero show. I don't watch this shit for realism and appropriateness. I'm here for spectacle. Not really trying to hear any arguments about consistency and logic in this universe when Cap never cuts anyone in half as hard as he throws that fucking shield.
That's inherently not what these shows are trying to be. Daredevil is the closest they'd come to, but they're making character-centric dramas. You don't make a Jessica Jones show because you want spectacle.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nah, I'm watching the right show and I'm being critical of it. Didn't like what I saw in the action. They can do better.
I can walk into the next Scorsese-directed film and say it's not funny enough, but unless it's actively trying to be a comedy, it's not an effective criticism.

Slayven

Cap is an asshole. I remember one story where he chasing this guy up a building. Instead of catching the guy he climbs the side of the building and gets to the roof. While waiting for the guy he throws his shield up in the air.

Guy comes out the roof door

Cap:"Want to see a trick?"

Guy:"What are you talking about?"

Cap:"I can make my shield appear with a whistle"

Guy:"Are you crazy?"

Cap :*whistles*

Shield comes screaming down and damn near caves dude's skull in.

The Kree

Banned
I can walk into the next Scorsese-directed film and say it's not funny enough, but unless it's actively trying to be a comedy, it's not an effective criticism.

I'm not complaining about the lack of jokes in a holocaust drama. I'm criticizing the action in action scenes in a superhero show. Nothing I've said is invalid.

Nah, I'm watching the right show and I'm being critical of it. Didn't like what I saw in the action. They can do better.
You're criticizing, except you're criticizing what you want to the show to be (superhero spectacle) rather than what it is (realism and appropriate tone)

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and probably Punisher are exactly the opposite of what you expect from a superhero show. Grounded atmosphere and realism, not spectacle. You could barely call them superhero shows; at most they're character-driven crime dramas about people with superhuman abilities

Arrow, The Flash, the Daredevil parts of Daredevil are the superhero shows you describe. Not these

You're criticizing, except you're criticizing what you want to the show to be rather than what it is.

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and probably Punisher are exactly the opposite of what you expect from a superhero show. Grounded atmosphere and realism, not spectacle. You could barely call them superhero shows; at most they're character-driven crime dramas about people with superhuman abilities

Arrow, The Flash, the Daredevil parts of Daredevil are the superhero shows you describe. Not these

While I for sure agree, the action in JJ was distractingly bad. They don't need to have a ton of it, but I hope what little they do is handled much better in Season 2 of JJ

The Kree

Banned
You're criticizing, except you're criticizing what you want to the show to be rather than what it is.

I criticized what it is and then said what I'd rather it be. I said the action was clumsy and boring and rather it be stylish and interesting. The rest of the show is fine for the most part.

I criticized what it is and then said what I'd rather it be. I said the action was clumsy and boring and rather it be stylish and interesting. The rest of the show is fine for the most part.
That comment was mainly directed towards this
That's the opposite of what I expect from a superhero show. I don't watch this shit for realism and appropriateness. I'm here for spectacle.

When all it takes is the flick of a wrist to knock someone out, how is that not fun?

Especially against these dudes who think they all hardcore cuz they got a gun.

Top Bottom