• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Nyx

Action scenes were bad? You going to have to back that one up.

I'll spoiler it to be sure.

Obvious misses, soft punches and kicks going around in nearly every fistfight scene. Heavy objects that were picked up suddenly looking not heavy anymore. If someone threw or punched another person so that he went flying you could see that it was fake too much. Especially the scene where Diamondback falls from the balcony in the theatre comes to mind, clearly someone had thrown a dummy.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I really feel that the effects in Luke Cage have been the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows so far.

edit: Have to add it didn't really influence my opinion on the show overall, all the good stuff surely outdid the bad.

TheFlow

Banned

Obvious misses, soft punches and kicks going around in nearly every fistfight scene. Heavy objects that were picked up suddenly looking not heavy anymore. If someone threw or punched another person so that he went flying you could see that it was fake too much. Especially the scene where Diamondback falls from the balcony in the theatre comes to mind, clearly someone had thrown a dummy.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I really feel that the effects in Luke Cage have been the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows so far.
Looked fine to me but I am going to have to rewatch specific scene. Only thing that looked off or w.e was the people being thrown

LakeEarth

I don't think the effects were bad, just the way it was presented and cut. The scene when Cottonmouth
throws the guy off the building and you get an overhead shot of him landing on the car
was pretty impressive for a TV show.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think the effects were bad, just the way it was presented and cut. The scene when Cottonmouth
throws the guy off the building and you get an overhead shot of him landing on the car
Yea there was a bunch good stuff like that but also some bad stuff like
the missile launcher stuff

I still think the Flash does it the best out of all shows when it comes to powers

Nyx

You could be right about that and indeed not all action was bad.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Looked fine to me but I am going to have to rewatch specific scene. Only thing that looked off or w.e was the people being thrown

Yeah, but I'll give the show a pass there, watching people lift things with ease that should be superhard/impossible always looks weird IMHO.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, but I'll give the show a pass there, watching people lift things with ease that should be superhard/impossible always looks weird IMHO.
Yea I could only imagine the challenge they had especially during the don't read if you haven't watched last episode 10
barn scene

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yea I could only imagine the challenge they had especially during the don't read if you haven't watched last episode 10
barn scene

Yeah, the only reason Cap stopping that helicopter in Civil War looked real, was because there was an actual rig pulling on Chris Evans' arm.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
DD's action spoiled us.

Even DD has some pretty shakey fight and actions scenes. I thought his end of season 1 fight with Fisk was pretty poorly done overall. Also season 2 is full of a lot of fights that are just there.

Yeah.

I was really looking forward to Cottonmouth and Diamondback gunning for each other - but Cottonmouth is killed not even halfway through the season for a stereotypical movie villain that both does absolutely nothing for the plot and is in no way connected to it at all.

Cottonmouth had purpose. He had motivation. He had a tangible meaning to the story that made him both a real complex and compelling character and a real villain for Cage.

Diamondback comes in and is all "fuck Harlem, I'm going to blow shit up".

Super let down.

Uh...
how you figure Diamondback didn't have a purpose? He had genuine reason to hate Luke and his rejected family name and sought to ruin both due to the rejection of his lineage. It was essentially Kane and Abel envy and was spelled out by episode 12. Plus, he was the one supplying Cottonmouth the weapons in the first place. He was pretty integral to the overall plot from the get-go and had the deepest connection to Luke. It wasn't just about "Fuck Harlem" it was about destroying Cage's name and legacy that he built up in Harlem. Ionno how you figure that as no connection/no motivation.

I take it back, I am liking the later 3rd portion of the season.

My last session ended at Episode 8 and I stated that there were too many coincidences and parachute dropped characters

but I changed my stance watching Episodes 9 through 12, I am liking it allot!

I got one episode left!

HStallion

Uh...
how you figure Diamondback didn't have a purpose? He had genuine reason to hate Luke and his rejected family name and sought to ruin both due to the rejection of his lineage. It was essentially Kane and Abel envy and was spelled out by episode 12. Plus, he was the one supplying Cottonmouth the weapons in the first place. He was pretty integral to the overall plot from the get-go and had the deepest connection to Luke. It wasn't just about "Fuck Harlem" it was about destroying Cage's name and legacy that he built up in Harlem. Ionno how you figure that as no connection/no motivation.

Its still a turn that comes out of the blue and the show is weaker for it. Cottonmouth had a history and place in the world built up over half the season and it gets thrown out to give us a bible reading crazy man who chews the scenery but does little else. Worse yet his whole connection to Luke and the story is contrived as all Hell.

Its still a turn that comes out of the blue and the show is weaker for it. Cottonmouth had a history and place in the world built up over half the season and it gets thrown out to give us a bible reading crazy man who chews the scenery but does little else. Worse yet his whole connection to Luke and the story is contrived as all Hell.

Outside of Cottonmouth's status, I just agree to disagree with you on all of that.

All done.

I'm a fan, and this is my favorite so far. Could be the music, could be Cottonmouth, could be Luke whooping ass without breaking a sweat. Actually, it was the latter.

Not going to join in on nitpicking, because overall I think they did a great job.

HStallion

Outside of Cottonmouth's status, I just agree to disagree with you on all of that.

I mean the fact that the big bad who was in the shadows is also Luke Brother and is moving on the same patch of NYC that he is currently helping at the same exact time after all these years but wait, he's also got the only bullets around that can hurt Luke as well. Oh and he wants to be the Kingpin of Harlem now as well and he's going to do this by putting on a super suit that gives him powers as well? Yeah it was pretty contrived no matter how you put it.

The show could have gotten away with it but Diamondback as a character was shallow as a puddle of water on a hot summer day. He spouts bible and old movie quotes like that makes him interesting and he kills a lot of people. His whole mindset seems to shift with every episode and especially how they set him up in the first half of the series.

The Kree

Banned
They are street level heroes man. Based on your link from earlier with the protector you want something that is far from what Luke is about.

AEIg4mF.gif

Spider-Man is a street level hero. You're using contradictory and fictional in-universe justifications for real world technical incompetence behind and in front of the camera. Staaahhhhppppp. Luke Cage fighting does not have to look boring. I know, I read comics.

I mean the fact that the big bad who was in the shadows is also Luke Brother and is moving on the same patch of NYC that he is currently helping at the same exact time after all these years but wait, he's also got the only bullets around that can hurt Luke as well. Oh and he wants to be the Kingpin of Harlem now as well and he's going to do this by putting on a super suit that gives him powers as well? Yeah it was pretty contrived no matter how you put it.

The show could have gotten away with it but Diamondback as a character was shallow as a puddle of water on a hot summer day. He spouts bible and old movie quotes like that makes him interesting and he kills a lot of people. His whole mindset seems to shift with every episode and especially how they set him up in the first half of the series.

Wasn't all concidence tho.

Shades mentioned earlier to Cottonmouth about Diamondback not being the same anymore was due to hearing about Cage being alive. Otherwise, he was already setting up shop in Harlem, supplying Cottonmouth. When Shades informs him about Cage being alive and doing what he's doing, it's what drives him to become more of a lunatic because he thought Cage was dead in prison all these years and instead, he's not only busted out, but on his stomping grounds now, fucking up bizness for him and got superpowers now to boot, which was another spit in his face since he orchestrated Luke's imprisonment in the first place, so he indirectly made Cage who he was and further increased his name sake. If anything, Cage arriving in Harlem was the coincidence to Diamondback, not the other way around

You say it's all convenient, but it was painted out subtly throughout the beginning of the series and I think while it's quite comic-book like, it's was done to dope effect. But as said, you can disagree all ya want.

TheFlow

Banned
AEIg4mF.gif

Spider-Man is a street level hero. You're using contradictory and fictional in-universe justifications for real world technical incompetence behind and in front of the camera. Staaahhhhppppp. Luke Cage fighting does not have to look boring. I know, I read comics.

spiderman is more agile freestyling that daredevil, plus he has to move around because bullets actually hurt him. So once again another bad example from you.

you read comics yet make these statements? Spiderman hasn't been street level in a hot minute. take a seat.

I'm saying. Yeah, folks are definitely overstating this consensus that the action here was bad.
I mean I can see why folks would find it boring, and some of the stuff wasn't done the best as the two other posters said with solid evidence.

But then you got other silly posters in here saying the action scenes are bad which is lol worthy enough but then they got the nerve to compare Luke cage to protector, daredevil, and spider-man. like wow how you watch 13 episodes plus the jessica jones stuff and know that doesn't fit luke's character.

barit

Anyone noticed that Pop is probably the same person who gets mentioned in a Biggie song?

"I got a calling in the morning..."

"It's my man Big Pop from the barbershop"

Just found that funny :D

The Kree

Banned
spiderman is more agile freestyling that daredevil, plus he has to move around because bullets actually hurt him. So once again another bad example from you.

you read comics yet make these statements? Spiderman hasn't been street level in a hot minute. take a seat.

Spider-Man started globe trotting with the Avengers on weekends like ten years ago, but sure, lets pretend the previous 50 years didn't happen. Way to ignore the point. Luke Cage action scenes are boring. They couldn't even bother showing him tanking the SUV. Must have blown the budget on that shitty CG punch in episode 2.

The show could have gotten away with it but Diamondback as a character was shallow as a puddle of water on a hot summer day.

Yeah, I agree. His set-up was interesting as the guy in charge, but when he comes on screen, he's just a common psycho with no personality masked with "look how badass I am".

Shades was a step up from Cottonmouth.
Diamondback was a step back.

It honestly would have worked better if Diamondback were a dude working at Paradise, who later reveals himself to be Cottonmouth's supplier.

Don't even get me started on the "I'm your brother" bullshit. That was so forced and rushed. Only way it could have worked is if he was in the flashbacks from the beginning of the series (but we didn't know it was Diamondback, of course).

Diamondback was some Venom in SM3 bullshit,

You say it's all convenient, but it was painted out subtly throughout the beginning of the series and I think while it's quite comic-book like, it's was done to dope effect. But as said, you can disagree all ya want.

Other people are allowed opinions, bro.

It's okay if we disagree with you about Diamondback being "dope". It doesn't ruin your experience at all.

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man started globe trotting with the Avengers on weekends like ten years ago, but sure, lets pretend the previous 50 years didn't happen. Way to ignore the point. Luke Cage action scenes are boring. They couldn't even bother showing him tanking the SUV. Must have blown the budget on that shitty CG punch in episode 2.

lol the show isn't for you. nothing wrong with that :)

and chill mane you posting spoilers.

Hmmmmmm

Not missing a beat to perpetuate Democrats’ black lies, Carl Lucas, the black Super-thug’s real name, escaped from a privately run prison in Georgia called Seagate. And this is because everyone knows that private prisons are to blame for “the mass incarceration of blacks” — not black males themselves, who are disproportionately engaging in crime, being convicted by juries and then sentenced by judges.

Oh...

Crystal Wright is author of the newly released book Con Job: How Democrats Gave Us Crime, Sanctuary Cities, Abortion Profiteering, and Racial Division. By day, Crystal is a communications consultant and editor and publisher of the blog Conservative Black Chick.

HStallion

A couple of things of note about this article.

1. The author really doesn't seem to know what the fuck she is talking about, especially pertaining super heroes and comics as several people call her out on in the comments.

2. If this is the same Crystal I've seen before, she a conservative mouth piece and has actually done a couple articles on Luke Cage, all of them hating on it.

3. She instantly calls things out like BLM and about how the show politicizes things and I'm like,"Ok what's the criticism there? Just stating something is in a show and going ugh is not a real form of complaint or criticism" but then again I doubt this woman is actually looking to make valid points in her article and just wants to make huge aggrandizing statements despite complaining about the show doing the same.

HStallion

I do agree that none of the action scenes really stood out to me as good.

Crispus Attacs was pretty good even if he wasn't doing anything super flashy himself. It was filmed in a much more evocative and interesting manner, the music choice and use was great, and it played to the strengths of Coulter and the character of Luke Cage. Also smaller scenes where he just slaps the shit out of a few henchmen were decent enough in showing how useless most common crooks are against him. A lot of the second half of the show is when things get rather sloppy and not so well done.

TheFlow

Banned
Crispus Attacs was pretty good even if he wasn't doing anything super flashy himself. It was filmed in a much more evocative and interesting manner, the music choice and use was great, and it played to the strengths of Coulter and the character of Luke Cage. Also smaller scenes where he just slaps the shit out of a few henchmen were decent enough in showing how useless most common crooks are against him. A lot of the second half of the show is when things get rather sloppy and not so well done.
Pretty much. That famous marvel second half

Semajer

Just watching episode 5. Did anyone notice the Triforce shirt that the guy in the middle of the settee was wearing? They edited it for almost all the scene, but missed one bit.

After DD S2, I kinda had enough with ninja and unnecessary flips. Plus the action in this is alot better than JJ, particularly in the final episode.

I actually agree with this. DDS2 had too much action, regardless of it's superior choreography. (in comparison to these other shows)

HStallion

I actually agree with this. DDS2 had too much action, regardless of it's superior choreography. (in comparison to these other shows)

I think the problem with DD S2 is that outside of the Stairway fight they didn't really do much to make the fights all that distinct from one another or all that interesting to watch in the first place. Its by no means as bad as other action heavy shows or Super Hero shows like Arrow but after a while fighting the ninjas got very repetitive. They could have spiced it up a bit more and at least made them more visually interesting but they didn't even bother to do that.

I really wish they'd just hire Gareth Evans or some of the Raid actors to choreograph something like DD or even Iron Fist. Then again they might kill the actors in the process but still.

Cels

i haven't seen the show but i googled the lead (mike colter) and the recent news articles at the top showed that some people are mad at him because his wife is white

mad at interracial marriage in 2016 lol

Kinsei

Banned
Episode 2 spoilers:
Damn it, I really liked Pop.

I'm really enjoying the show so far. I'll probably end up binging it over the long weekend.

Top Bottom