• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

When all it takes is the flick of a wrist to knock someone out, how is that not fun?

Especially against these dudes who think they all hardcore cuz they got a gun.

I legit love the reactions on dudes faces in Luke Cage when they just unload a bunch of bullets into him thinking they are bad asses and then he's just like, "Nah" and beats them down without even trying

The Kree

Banned
You guys really expect someone with the username the kree to not criticize a marvel superhero?

ktobWPW.gif

The choreography of the action isn't really my problem with it. I've said it before, but when there is action, it doesn't really feel like a hero moment or a "hell yeah!" moment. I mean, there's one when
he stops the Van from hitting Claire and Scarfe, but of course they're not gonna kill of Rosario Dawson with some random thug in a van.
He saves the day for the main characters. But side characters get offed to prop up the villains like
Candace and Boone.
When really they should be used to prop up Luke because they are more likely to die than a main character. There'd be a greater feeling of surprise and relief than if he predictably saves Claire or Misty.

Wouldn't it make sense for every character who has super strength to jump higher, farther, and run faster than normal humans? I mean that strength should extend to their legs.

Oh indeed. I'm pretty sure they're all capable as such, just that not really many, if any of the rest of them are known for doing such feats. But yeah, I definitely agree with you that it should fundamentally be possible for them to do pretty much anything that is boosted by physical strength to some super capability for sure, to some capacity at least a few times over any normal peak human.

I legit love the reactions on dudes faces in Luke Cage when they just unload a bunch of bullets into him thinking they are bad asses and then he's just like, "Nah" and beats them down without even trying

Just something so poetic about it.

Showing just how fake ass these thugs really are. Instead of the glorifying of this lifestyle we constantly see all the time.

DrSlek

Just something so poetic about it.

Showing just how fake ass these thugs really are. Instead of the glorifying of this lifestyle we constantly see all the time.

What gets me is that they keep trying to shoot him.
When he got shot with a couple of Judas bullets, and the cops found him walking down the street. One of them was super surprised when he unloaded a mag into Luke's back and nothing happened

HOW CAN YOU BE SURPRISED AT THIS POINT!?

darklin0

Banned
When he got shot with a couple of Judas bullets, and the cops found him walking down the street. One of them was super surprised when he unloaded a mag into Luke's back and nothing happened

I think it was to show that even the cops default to just spraying when they feel threatened. Just like the thugs that default to blasting anything that threatens them.

Well during the radio show when Method Man was talking about his encounter, everyone wouldn't believe him. And you can see the reaction from the hosts like for real?

Why? Because it is human nature to double down on your own belief no matter how much the evidence contradicts it. Look at flat earthers and anti-vaccinators.

In this case there's a bullet proof black man running around doing good things for other people. You telling me people gonna believe that?

Night.Ninja

Banned
Four episodes in I'm really feeling it, I thought the jail bum fights could have been a bit better. But other than that It's really good.

Two different people So two different styles. Also luke is stronger/more durable than cap

Yeah, Luke is immensely stronger than Cap, which folks obviously fail to realize with the questions of strength comparisons earlier in this very thread. Cap strength level to normal strong humans is about maybe...5 times stronger than a normal, moderate strength human at base level and probably about 10 at full exertion. To which, while he's still significantly stronger than any normal human, he at least still has to exert a decent level of effort to take on multiple opponents or even a really strong/skilled opponent, which was shown in Cap 2 in him fighting in the elevator against all those Shield agents and fighting against Batroc the Leaper (who's just an skilled, acrobatic NORMAL human) that Cap had to take at least somewhat seriously to beat. The amount of strength Cap has to exert in such cases in order to stay alive/win, Luke has to suppress that amount of strength 20 times over to not completely obliterate any of those normal guys in one shot. Cap's also only a few times more durable than a normal human. A mere gun-shot to the dome would still kill cap, just landing it would be a task. Most things that would kill Cap don't mean shit to Luke.

I agree the action scenes could've been better. I thought the first fight was cool, but found the full version of the hallway scene disappointing, but that thought that shot of him putting the dude up in the ceiling still was cool.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Watching Luke Cage fight at the beginning is like watching One Punch Man. Luke is just indestructible so the fights are almost boring for him

guek

Banned
I wonder if MCU cap could beat this Luke Cage. I think he could certainly kill him if needed with the vibranium shield but I'm not sure he could dispatch him otherwise. On the other hand, Luke wouldn't be able to lay a finger on Steve.

- J - D -

Episode 3 was almost perfect. Nice fight scene, Good twist(s), lots of Misty, AND THAT ENDING. Was not expecting that kind of retribution.

Mahershala Ali is so good in this.

kurahador

Aww man...another goof? Episode 10
has Claire pull the shrapnel only from one of his gunshot wound

This second half sure is sloppy.

The Kree

Banned
I wonder if MCU cap could beat this Luke Cage. I think he could certainly kill him if needed with the vibranium shield but I'm not sure he could dispatch him otherwise. On the other hand, Luke wouldn't be able to lay a finger on Steve.

He's obviously a better fighter, but he wouldn't be able to put him down with his hands and feet alone. He'd need poison of some kind, or get Wanda to Jedi mindtrick him into walking into the ocean, or get Wasp to crawl in his ear and shoot him in the brain.

Nyx

Man this show really got good in the 2nd half of the season! Watched EPs 7 to 12 almost right after eachother because it's so tense!

Just the finale left, really enjoyed it so far.
The only negative for me are the special effects and fightscenes, they really seem rushed and therefore not good.

The rest is though!

TheFlow

Banned
I criticized what it is and then said what I'd rather it be. I said the action was clumsy and boring and rather it be stylish and interesting. The rest of the show is fine for the most part.
They are street level heroes man. Based on your link from earlier with the protector you want something that is far from what Luke is about.

This second half sure is sloppy.

Yeah.

I was really looking forward to Cottonmouth and Diamondback gunning for each other - but Cottonmouth is killed not even halfway through the season for a stereotypical movie villain that both does absolutely nothing for the plot and is in no way connected to it at all.

Cottonmouth had purpose. He had motivation. He had a tangible meaning to the story that made him both a real complex and compelling character and a real villain for Cage.

Diamondback comes in and is all "fuck Harlem, I'm going to blow shit up".

Super let down.

squall23

Just finished. This series felt slower than the others. The action also wasn't as good.

Oh right, was the actor for Misty's captain in the first half black or Asian? Or Blasian?

QUOTE=kurahador;219233783]Aww man...another goof? Episode 10
has Claire pull the shrapnel only from one of his gunshot wound

This second half sure is sloppy.[/QUOTE]

Nor really because
the bullet in the stomach was causing the damage since it was digging into his organs. The other bulet hit close to his shoulder so wasn't causing damage. Also the stomach bullet was infected.

JTripper

Episode 7 is one of the best episodes of any Marvel Netflix show, but damn
could I not stand Mariah's acting. She's super annoying to me. At least the show has Misty, who is the real deal.

Just finished. Man, I love some stuff about it but this dipped real bad. Diamondback is so laughably bad. The climax was cheesy and underwhelming. So many speeches with goofy platitudes that made me cringe. Cage himself as a character ended up being pretty thin. His arc plateaus pretty early on and doesn't go anywhere interesting after that. It's the actual idea of Cage the bulletproof black man that resonated more with me than his character. Even though they really spelled it out in ep 11 or 12, I still liked the social commentary made.

Harlem, the music, and Cotton-mouth were what I most enjoyed. You gotta have some really strong writers to make it through these 13 episode series I guess.

DD 1
DD 2
JJ
Luke Cage

edit - Okay I'm getting real tired of the villain trope where they shoot their lackey just to show how cutthroat they are. First time it happens with Cotton-Mouth, okay benefit of the doubt, maybe they're trying to make a statement about his character becoming unhinged as he's losing control of his empire. ...And then they keep doing it, over and over and over again.

TheFlow

Banned
Just finished. Man, I love some stuff about it but this dipped real bad. Diamondback is so laughably bad. The climax was cheesy and underwhelming. So many speeches with goofy platitudes that made me cringe. Cage himself as a character ended up being pretty thin. His arc plateaus pretty early on and doesn't go anywhere interesting after that. It's the actual idea of Cage the bulletproof black man that resonated more with me than his character. Even though they really spelled it out in ep 11 or 12, I still liked the social commentary made.

Harlem, the music, and Cotton-mouth were what I most enjoyed. You gotta have some really strong writers to make it through these 13 episode series I guess.

DD 1
DD 2
JJ
Luke Cage
LC is still the most consistent of the show s

Nyx

Watched the finale just now, had some corny moments again but did not change my mind about the show overall.

Setting, story, characters and music did it for me, but I do wonder why a lot of actionscenes and effects were so bad. Don't recall DD or JJ being this obvious.

Personally I'd rate it just above JJ and would like to see more.

TheFlow

Banned
Watched the finale just now, had some corny moments again but did not change my mind about the show overall.

Setting, story, characters and music did it for me, but I do wonder why a lot of actionscenes and effects were so bad. Don't recall DD or JJ being this obvious.

Action scenes were bad? You going to have to back that one up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

JJ's fight scenes were fairly terrible overall. Also I'm not speaking about the fact that she's a sloppy untrained fighter just using her super powers, but more that outside of DD it seems Marvel shows have some serious issues with the action scenes. They are often very repetitive and not very creative in their camera work, a lot of the stunts are not great with a guy getting thrown 50 feet then landing on a car roof like he just fell backwards onto it from the hood of the very same car, and in general just not really making them feel visceral or look all that interesting. The best action scene was the assault on Crispus Attacs but that happened incredibly early on in the series whereas the fight with Diamondback was looking like some amateur hour youtube stuff.

Top Bottom